Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
109 registered members (7uturu, Alex Hutor, achoo42, anamnesis, Akaitsuki, AnnInMiami, akc42, aphexdisklavier, 27 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How big are your hands? Curious.. [Re: DanTheMan14] #1884040
04/22/12 01:07 AM
04/22/12 01:07 AM
Down Under
currawong Offline
6000 Post Club Member
currawong  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Down Under
Originally Posted by DanTheMan14
That's interesting. You have about the same reach as me and i am a lot taller than you. It could be because my age or growth since i am a teenager. What piano or keyboard do you own? I notice i can reach further when i am on a keyboard that is touch sensitive since the keys are smaller compared to a real piano. Could that possibly be the reason for your success? That's still impressive, a lot of the short people i know can barely reach a octave.
No - I play on a 6ft Yamaha at home, and everything from a heap-of-firewood upright or a basic clavinova to Bösies/Steinways/Bechstein when I'm out playing somewhere. (Haven't tried a Fazioli yet!) I've been playing for 55 years and apart from the bit about only recently noticing I have a better 10th with 1-4 than 1-5, my reach has been much the same since my late teens. I use some different fingering now for some things - I definitely do more 1-3, 1-4, 1-5 legato octaves than I used to.

Du holde Kunst...
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: How big are your hands? Curious.. [Re: Rhonda B] #1884049
04/22/12 01:27 AM
04/22/12 01:27 AM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
W

Originally Posted by Rhonda B
Stretching makes only a marginal difference to hand span or finger length - see article by Kloeppel in Medical Problems of Performing Artists March 2000. Slight differences in finger length in the left hand of cellists is put down to callouses that form on the fingertips over time. Also in Otto Ortmann's 'The physiological Mechanics of Piano Technique', he says 'To what extent can the skeletal part of the hand or arm be modified by appropriate massage or so-called 'stretch-excercises'? So far as the skeletal part itself is concerned, very little indeed. In order to modify the bone articulations themselves, a beginning would have to be made in early infancy.' Alicia Larrocha may have stretched every day, but what difference it made to her hand span is another matter. Stretching may be beneficial as a warm-up routine however.

As a matter of fact, Kloeppel's actual research doesn't actually address intentional stretching (although rather oddly, she gives some illustrations showing some stretching devices, as if they were germane to what she was measuring, which they are not). None of the people she measured used any particular stretching techniques at all - they just played their instruments. As the abstract of the article says "Further research is needed to discern whether the spreadability could be improved through specific training programs." And I don't see that Ortmann's opinion is backed up by anything (although it should be fairly obvious that what is being stretched is not the bones).

So, at this point, I'm inclined to believe de Larrocha's own words. They were her hands, after all, and I'd think she'd know.

Re: How big are your hands? Curious.. [Re: gooddog] #1884094
04/22/12 05:23 AM
04/22/12 05:23 AM
B
bellamusica Offline
bellamusica  Offline
B

Originally Posted by gooddog
Originally Posted by Rhonda B
I've just had an article published in the MTNA e-journal about the experience of pianists who use reduced-size keyboards:-
That would be a nice solution if smaller pianos were available everywhere but we pianists have to move from place to place without our instruments so practicing on a smaller keyboard would become a handicap. I've taken harpsichords for a test drive and the narrower keys are hard to adjust to.

A little OT: My teacher has told me that it can be very frustrating to work with other instrumentalists because they expect him to sit down at any piano and immediately be able to play it well. They carry their precious flutes and violins with them everywhere and never have the challenge of performing on an entirely different instrument. They become impatient when he takes some time to get to know the piano. They also do not understand why it takes the pianist longer to learn the music because most of their music requires them to play just one note at a time as compared to the pianist who has to decipher chords, bring out fugue voices and could possibly be playing 10 notes at a time. For many instruments, such as the woodwinds, some of the brass and some of the strings, the notes are right under their fingertips, not a yard apart. I'm not suggesting it is easy to play the violin, trumpet or flute well; I'm just saying the pianist's task can be a little more complicated. It's bad enough adjusting to different pianos; I wouldn't want to add to that by having to adjust to different sized keyboards.

That's very interesting. Most of the instrumentalists I have played with have been very understanding about the difficulty of the piano part and also felt themselves lucky to play on the same instrument all the time. (But perhaps that's because I'm constantly harping about how hard my part is... heh)

Re: How big are your hands? Curious.. [Re: wr] #1887031
04/26/12 04:31 PM
04/26/12 04:31 PM
P
pianobyrd Offline
pianobyrd  Offline
P

The idea of reduced size keyboards is really interesting. I'd like to try that out sometime, although I'd imagine it would take a little getting used to, especially since my technique has adapted to having to play octaves on the edge. I think it's great in theory, but probably won't catch on as much as it would need to, since it's still always going to be the alternative. For me, my issue with it is not that I want the extra challenge (I really don't; it's a frustrating inhibitor that is extremely difficult to work around), I just want to be able to play anywhere, and since we don't get to tote our precious instruments around, that means I need to practice on a normal keyboard.

As for the stretching discussion, I know my span is way bigger than it used to be. I might have grown a bit too since I'm still young, but there's a definite effect from stretching (through playing, not stretching exercises.) Also, I have a friend that has played piano and violin from a young age (she's very good!), and her left hand is definitely very noticeably bigger than her right hand (and it didn't use to be like that).

And as Rhonda said, having small hands definitely affects way more than just whether you're able to reach 9ths/10ths or not.

Re: How big are your hands? Curious.. [Re: DanTheMan14] #1887660
04/27/12 06:20 PM
04/27/12 06:20 PM
Southern Northern California
F
fingerspitzngefuhl Offline
fingerspitzngefuhl  Offline
F

Southern Northern California
I can do an octave for sure, maybe a 9th if I do that edge of the keyboard thing but does anyone actually do that in music?

Yamaha P95
Just starting "piano advantures" - at page 50-60-odd.
Re: How big are your hands? Curious.. [Re: fingerspitzngefuhl] #1889081
04/30/12 09:33 PM
04/30/12 09:33 PM
DanTheMan14 Offline OP
DanTheMan14  Offline OP

Yeah, more realistically 9ths over 10ths. I think Moonlight Sonata First Movement has a few 9ths in it. It is more common than we think because when a interval reaches passed a 9th or 10th melodically we just move our hand to hit the note instead of keeping our hand in the same position which does say time. I seen some players with big hands just completely stay stationary in one spot while they reach for other notes. I guess it really depends on the how technical the song is. You will find use for more reach by more virtuoso like arrangements. Franz Liszt, Chopin, ect. It is also useful having big hands if you want to make chords bigger. But i think both hand sizes have there values.

Last edited by DanTheMan14; 04/30/12 09:34 PM.
Re: How big are your hands? Curious.. [Re: DanTheMan14] #1889101
04/30/12 10:00 PM
04/30/12 10:00 PM
Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Orange Soda King  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Louisville, Kentucky, United S...
I play 9ths consistently, and if I have time to set up, I can stretch a 10th.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Opinions about Feurich Grands?
by ShiroKuro. 06/26/19 06:52 PM
Hand Discomfort
by Anna123. 06/26/19 02:52 PM
New Yorker seeking assistance for a Unicorn Hunt
by PHollis. 06/26/19 01:37 PM
Estonia Concert Grand
by LovingPianos. 06/26/19 01:31 PM
Ebony Sharps - how low is too low
by DougD. 06/26/19 12:34 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,726
Posts2,842,312
Members93,715
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission