Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
75 registered members (butchkoch, bearbate, Bill McKaig,RPT, cfrederi, ando, Animisha, 22 invisible), 1,480 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kawai MP10 review #1888431
04/29/12 02:50 PM
04/29/12 02:50 PM
Toronto, Canada
W
whitfit Offline OP
whitfit  Offline OP
W

Toronto, Canada
I have had my Kawai MP10 for about 3 weeks now and am starting to get a feel for it, so I thought I would do a quick review.

First, some background.

I started fooling around on the piano over a year ago, but stalled out. In September 2011 I started proper lessons, and have been going strong since then. I am working on the RCM curriculum, and am in grade 3 right now. I have a background in music, having played cello growing up, and then picking up the guitar later and also playing some electric bass along the way. I have a pretty good ear, could already read music, and I think have a good appreciation for tone and dynamics.

My first keyboard was a Yamaha YPG-535. It is a semi-weighted (which I think really means unweighted) keyboard. It has 88 full size keys, and was fine for early learning, but I found that my ability to control dynamics when I went to play an AP was really limiting.

In terms of other pianos that I play, besides the YPG-535, I take my lessons on a well maintained and fairly new Yamaha C-3 grand. I also get a chance to play my uncle's Heintzmann grand every once in a while, which is an older Canadian piano in very good condition.

As a note, during my DP search I was able to test out (quite extensively) the Roland FP-7F, RD700NX, Yamaha P-155, CP1, CP5, Kawai MP6, CA-93. CA63 and I did walk by tests on a number of other console and stage DPs.

I decided fairly early on that I did like the FP-7F, as it felt good and sounded pretty good. I also liked the P155 for its price, and may have even bit the bullet earlier on it given the price/value ratio, but I really disliked the shiny plastic keys.

After playing the MP10 I realized that it seemed like the most serious, piano like of all of the actions I tried (well, other than CA-69/93). Although the FP-7F felt good, it just seemed lighter and less piano like to me. That being said, I am not that experienced, and I have come to think that the real pianos I play on are actually more responsive/lighter than the MP10, so maybe that was not the best evaluation.

I didn't spend as much time worrying about the sounds. I am mostly interested in the piano, and from listening to the DPs, reading posts on here and reviewing the DPBSD thread, it seemed to me that the DPs I was interested in were in the same ballpark in terms of sound, and all had drawbacks. I suspect that as I get better/more serious I will switch to a computer based system in any event.

I liked the MP10s action, key surface (it seems like the best compromise to me) and also like the way that it looks - understated and classy.

One thing that was frustrating was that after I decided to buy the MP10, I called the piano store where I had tried it out. It is the only Kawai dealer in the area, so I had little choice on that one. I was told it would take about a week to get it in. It ended up taking about 6 weeks, including having me call them back a number of times to chase down information and being told a couple of times that it was expected within a certain number of days/weeks and calling after that amount of time had gone by and finding out that it would be a couple more weeks. To be fair, the salesman that I dealt with left the store during that period, and I got the sense that things were not good with him, so it might just be a bad apple at the store. Also, I realize that MP10s were in short supply all over North America.

Since I have had the MP10 I have really enjoyed playing it. I don't regret my decision. I will address sound, usability and action separately.

In terms of sound, I have been a bit disappointed. I have almost entirely played it with the Concert Grand 1 piano. It doesn't sound great. It sounds fine. I guess that is all any of us can expect from these DPs, but I do wish it sounded more realistic. It still sounds like it is being generated by a computer. As I mentioned above, I didn't expect a lot in this area, but still kind of hoped to be more satisfied. I do find that the EPs are fun, and I would like to explore that aspect a bit more. However, right now it is primarily a piano learning tool.

The usability is pretty good. No big stumbling blocks there. I do find that the LEDs are a bit much - there are a lot of them, and they are fairly bright, even on the low brightness setting. For use just as a piano, it would be nice if they could be disabled. They also flicker a bit on the low setting. Other than that, it is pretty user friendly, though keep in mind that I don't switch between sounds much, so I might not be the best judge.

The action is good. Very good. I like playing it. It is a bit heavier than I thought at first - it has a lot of momentum. Compared to the APs that I use I find that it seems a little bit less nimble and that it takes more effort to play. I think that is fine for me right now in building up my skills. Better to move from harder to easier, I think, than the other way around. The "let-off" feature is a bit less distinct than I expected it to be. I find that it is really subtle, much less so than the real pianos I play. One also cannot play "off the jack" (push slowly to escapement point, then push down fast to have the piano play softly). It is not an issue for me - I am way too much of a beginner to want/need such a feature. However, I do think that the lack of a third sensor does hurt the responsiveness a bit.

Overall, I am happy with my purchase. I live in a condo, and can't have an AP. I need something that I could use with headphones. I also didn't want to step up to an Avantgrand. Well, I couldn't have afforded it anyway. It took enough convincing to get my wife to agree that we should spend the money on the MP10 after only taking lessons for a few months. I think the MP10 is a good compromise for someone that wants a good action at that price point - CA-63/93 are very expensive in Canada for some reason. Well, I think because there are so few Kawai dealers. In Toronto, a city of several million people in the area, there is only one Kawai dealer. I don't get it, because there are several that sell Yamaha/Roland/Korg and other brands.

I have looked around a bit for some tips on MP10 settings, and there isn't much. I have left it pretty much as it was set out of the box, and after playing around a bit with some of the settings don't see any obvious improvements. If anybody has any tips about the settings to improve the piano sounds I would be grateful.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Kawai MP10 review [Re: whitfit] #1888574
04/29/12 09:08 PM
04/29/12 09:08 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Hamamatsu, Japan
Thank you for posting your review, whitfit.

I agree with almost everything you've written.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: Kawai MP10 review [Re: Kawai James] #1888694
04/30/12 04:05 AM
04/30/12 04:05 AM
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
TADutchman Offline
500 Post Club Member
TADutchman  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Thank you for posting your review, whitfit.

I agree with almost everything you've written.

Cheers,
James
x

+0.9 grin

K A W A I ..... R O L A N D ......... E - M U
C A - 9 3 ......... A X - 7 ...... X B O A R D - 4 9
Re: Kawai MP10 review [Re: whitfit] #1894126
05/09/12 12:11 PM
05/09/12 12:11 PM
J
JoeSho Offline
JoeSho  Offline
J

After a month of looking, I also went with the MP10. Action was my number one priority.

I use the standard grand rather than the concert. I like the sound much better.

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Your Top VSTs
by Groove On. 07/17/19 11:57 PM
Identification of Hammers
by TimM_980. 07/17/19 10:04 PM
Piano count
by MacMacMac. 07/17/19 04:46 PM
My NU1X is soon here
by iLogic. 07/17/19 04:17 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,056
Posts2,849,373
Members93,905
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission