2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 4 invisible), 1,182 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Frito Offline OP
OP Offline
Most pianists I know have cats. But why? They have such an uneven temperment. And they will jump on the piano, maybe get inside the piano, and surely get their fur all over the piano, inside and out.

But a dog obediently sits next to you and admiringly looks up to you. You can flub the piece completely, but the dog will still look at you and listen intently as though you were Horowitz playing. The cat would simply look at you briefly in disgust, maybe hiss briefly, then walk away and sulk or hide.

So why cats? confused

Last edited by Frito; 10/17/11 11:02 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think it's because cats are independent and so is a pianist in the sense that as a soloist the pianist works alone.

rada

btw...my cats are not allowed on my pianos...

J
J
I don't know why, but I play piano and have cats....
but... I could also have dogs, I just don't have dogs because the space they need.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am a pianist and don't have a cat. Never have. I don't hate cats, just don't want them around.

I have a hound dog named Bubba. He likes to lie at my feet when I play.

Bubba don't like cats. When a stray cat comes around he chases it away.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
M
M
Ohhhhh cats rock

All my four girls are pianists and allll looooovvvveeeee cats - like me... mine sleeps, my cat that is, 23 hours a day - easy as

Cats are individuals - want you when they want you and exclude you when they don't

Dogs are like babies and toddlers - constantly need to be reassessed for barking, poos in the yard lol and you can't just go away for days and leave a dog like you can a cat

Individuals I think....

Just to add, often, pianists are referred to as being introverted - they play for themselves, they are not in a group, they practice when suits them etc etc - cats are often associated with introverts... just a thought

Last edited by msirukandjisting; 12/15/11 02:19 AM.

Love my piano - love me!!! - I'm not a person without my piano...orrrr.... You never know what you can do till you have a go...
C
C
Agreed with the cats are introverted comment!
Also I'm seriously convinced that my cats appreciate piano playing. They definitely don't sulk! They almost always sit in the room with me while I'm practicing. Sometimes they try to climb in my lap, which can become a problem, haha.

D
D
Well I certainly don't have any cats. And I don't really plan to anytime soon, either. Are you saying that all pianists are introverted? Because that's really not true at all for me. Sure, I practice by myself for and hour and a half or more each day, but that means I have 22 and a half to go be an extrovert.
Besides, I love it when my dogs come in and listen to me play. Until they start barking at the person walking outside.

Currently working on (not just messing around with)

Bach Prelude and Fugue in G Major, Well-Tempered Clavier Book I
Mozart Fantasie and Sonata in c minor
Chopin's Revolutionary Etude, Op. 10 No. 12
Liszt's Paraphrase on Rigoletto (sort of)
Prelude of Debussy's Pour le Piano
because piano is like a lion and since it is enough to have in home one lion they just take miniature LOOOOOOOOOL because lions can only get on those of their kin

I have both cats and dogs, but I am definitely more of a cat person. I agree with the introvert comment, considering I am a totally introverted pianist. I love when my cats will sit down next to me on the bench and follow my fingers with their eyes! But then they kind of get in the way... (^..^)

B
B
I've often wondered this as well. There was an old lady in our neighborhood growing up that had a piano.....and about 17 cats. We called her the old scary cat lady. Those darned cats were always having kittens and crapping in my dads work boots. He hated them. Lol

On a side note, her house always smelled just like Dad's boots.....yuck!

D
D
I love when my cat lays on piano while I play. His tail swings almost as if he is setting the tempo for me.

F
F
removed

Last edited by Piano World; 05/16/12 05:01 PM.
D
D
Removed uncalled for quote

wow

Last edited by Piano World; 05/16/12 05:02 PM.
G
G
Very interesting thread. I kind of laughed at the comment above saying that pianists like cats because both are introverted. What a generalization! I consider myself to be an introvert and I have three dogs. I prefer dogs to cats because they strive to return the love and attention you give them, more so than cats in my experience. It is such a joy to come home after a quick errand and see all three dogs genuinely excited to see me again.
However, interestingly enough, two out of my three former teachers had two cats. The other had a dog. Maybe the OP does have a point...

We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late.
G
G
Very interesting thread. I kind of laughed at the comment above saying that pianists like cats because both are introverted. What a generalization! I consider myself to be an introvert and I have three dogs. I prefer dogs to cats because they strive to return the love and attention you give them, more so than cats in my experience. It is such a joy to come home after a quick errand and see all three dogs genuinely excited to see me again.
However, interestingly enough, two out of my three former teachers had two cats. The other had a dog. Maybe the OP does have a point...

We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake. Let us use it before it is too late.
A
A
I got neither cats or dogs, but I always wondered how they would react when you play the piano...

I like cats also. But I play on my Yamaha EZ-200 keyboard.

T
T
I loathe cats. That is to say, wild cats - big and small - are glorious, but domestic cats about attractive a housepet as a goldfish. actually less. I quite like fishies.

Dog lover - and bad pianist. The other pianist who live here are all dog lovers and cat loathers, too. But fear not, we also discriminate when it comes to actual dog breeds. no ornamental fluffy yappers here. Just sensible, utilitarian working dogs.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Franz Scherbit loved kitties, and drew them in ink on his compositions.

I have three cats and only one pie-anna.

Kitten on the keys was probably written by a cat lover.

Cats > people.

R.I.P. Beethoven
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission