2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,207 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
After spending a couple months thinking about the NP2 and weighing out the value of it, or saving and going for the NS2, I decided that the NP2 just makes sense. Although the NP2 doesn't offer the sheer depth of performance of the NS2, it is every bit as capable for acoustic piano and EP playing. Plus, I'm not an organ player, and most of what I do still heavily revolves around acoustic piano playing for which the NP1/2 offer an exceptional experience for gigging piano playing. I sold my Nord Electro 3 because I don't want to lug 2 boards around, and the NP2 offers plenty of capability for the extra synth/string patches I use on the irregular occasions I use those sounds. Although the NP2 didn't get a bump in RAM, or an improved action, I'm perfectly happy with both the space for samples currently on my NP1, after all, I only use 1 or 2 different piano samples real time at a gig and there is plenty of space for 2 XL samples plus several different EPs. Even the large sized samples sound just as good overall as the XL samples. As well, the action is very expressive and fun to play, and connects perfectly with the sounds. Being that I've owned the NP1 for 16 months now, the NP2 is a known quantity. I actually purchased the Korg SV-1 73 Black from my local music store, and took it back the next day. As cool as it looks and sounds, the Nord sounds and connects better. Plus the NP is far more intuitive as is the Nord Sound Manager, and the diversity of the Nord Piano and Sample Libraries are worth the steep price of Nords in and of themselves. My $1450 credit is holding the first NP2 that arrives and I'm excited to keep the Nord as my battle axe for gigging (and my AvantGrand as my home practice piano). smile I will give my thoughts of it as it compares to my NP1 when I bring it home.

BTW my Nord Piano is for sale for $1650. It's in immaculate shape. I take very good care of my gear.

Last edited by ZacharyForbes; 04/24/12 11:55 PM.

Studiologic Numa X Piano GT with Native Instruments Noire
S
S
Congratulations Zach! smile

Piano; YDP161
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Nice one Zachary!

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks guys I'm excited. smile

ClsscLib, this is it:
http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?tm=Products&clpm=Nord_Piano_2

Online Content
Should arrive just in time for the new 'White Upright'.
Shame there are no new EPs...

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Congrats Zac. I think it's a good move for you..

J
J
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes
I actually purchased the Korg SV-1 73 Black from my local music store, and took it back the next day. As cool as it looks and sounds, the Nord sounds and connects better.

I heard that there were only 500 being made and only 2 in our city (Hong Kong). I had a second look at the SV-1 after seeing many live videos featuring it. Sure it has a great stage appearance like the Nords do. It's actually a good DP at its price point. The best DP is still the Nord IMO if one can afford it.

Nord Piano | Yamaha S90ES | Yamaha MOX 8 | Neumann U87 | Metric Halo 2882

3000 Post Club Member

3000 Post Club Member
Thanks guys I'm excited. smile

ClsscLib, this is it:
http://www.nordkeyboards.com/main.asp?tm=Products&clpm=Nord_Piano_2

Very cool! Congratulations!

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Zachary,

Wow, you sure have been trying out quite a few pianos as of lately, and, maybe you might want to consider getting that acoustic piano, instead?

Unless the new digital is for gigging, and, so forth...

Acoustics have authentic sound. Digitals* imitate.

*Even the V-Piano is modeled simulation.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pv88

Unless the new digital is for gigging, and, so forth...

It is.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I will give my thoughts of it as it compares to my NP1 when I bring it home.

Look forward to this. Congratulations Zachary!

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

I'm re-digging the SV1 again, both sound and action even over the Nord and almost on equal footing with the CP5.

Ummmm .... errrrr seriously Dave ... WTF ???? Are we talking about the same SV-1 with the RH3 action here ????

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
But after playing it in the store and really thinking about it--I don't care how good the strings, pads and organs sound-I don't wanna and I won't schlep 2 boards to a gig anymore. Been there, done that.

I find a second board essential, for having a non-weighted action for organ playing, and for the piece-of-mind of having a backup way to get through the gig if the primary board fails or gets damaged, and it's nice to be able to do a lot of instantaneous switching without necessarily having to keep setting up and calling up so many splits and worry about running out of keys for a part. But yeah, as nice a board as that PC361 is, 31 lbs is a lot for a second board. I'd look at a Korg M50 (61 or 73) or a Yamaha MOX6 at about half the weight. Maybe a Casio W-P1. Or even a 6 lb Korg Microstation. It would have been nice if that SV1 top was squared off instead of rounded, and maybe you could sit a Microstation right on top!

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Congrats, Zach! You may have the distinction of being Nord's first NP to NP2 upgrader!

I'd love to hear more about your experience with the SV-1. What in particular did you find lacking?

Dave, are you saying that both the Black 73 and 88 share a new keyboard feel, or just the 88? I've heard a lot about sluggishness on the old models - it would be interesting to know if this has been addressed.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
Thanks for the info, Dave. I know what you mean about the psychological effect of having only 73 notes - even if you don't often use the full compass.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by voxpops
Thanks for the info, Dave. I know what you mean about the psychological effect of having only 73 notes - even if you don't often use the full compass.

Yeah, I hate it. Even those old pianos with 85 keys throw me off. I'll never buy anything other than an 88. Too disorienting.

1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I'm with Dave and feeling actually impressed with the RH3 in the SV-1 73 I brought home. It was smoother and less clunky feeling than my prior attempts at playing RH3 key beds. But, I played it back to back with my AvantGrand and the RH3 was heavier...go figure. The NP88 action was smoother and more even feeling, however.

I think what drove me away from the Korg so quick was the lacking soul in the APs, as well as not being overly sold on the EPs. The string and synth patches were good, very good actually. I also downloaded the Sound Pack 2 sample set and wasn't really that impressed. I preferred the pianos in Sound Pack 1. The lack of loving the APs/EPs, the much less intuitive Sound Manager (compared to Nord's) and the idea of having to lug another board around again just didn't thrill me. Plus, all the capability the SV-1 had, i can get in one board in the NP2, which I prefer sound and action to the Korg. Oh, and the SV-1 73 weighs 38lbs...my NP88 weighs 39lbs. The SV-1 was much more attractive in the store. Lesson learned. The SV-1 is a great board if your thing is mostly EPs and Organs, and is an especially nice board for its price. There is just something about the Nords, a certain comfort and confidence like I'm getting everything I need. And that pretty much sums up the reason why I'm sticking within the Nord brand.

Richard, yes the NP2 is most definitely a gigging tool. My AvantGrand is my home practice tool, and as much as I'd like to have an acoustic grand right night, I don't have the space. The AvantGrand is really a home run for people in my position.

S
S
I agree with Dave. I've been looking into SV-1's for a while. As much as I wanted the 73 key version it just felt weird. I always felt like my fingers were going to fall off the edge. Completely psychological. Over time I probably would have gotten used to it. But, the size and weight were perfect.

I also noticed a difference in the feel of the keys between the 73 & 88. Maybe it's just in my head, I don't know, but the 88 feels smoother to me.

I just purchased an early "copper end" 88 (Ser.# xxxx609). It had been in a small mom and pop store for 3 years. The owner has a recording studio in the back and used it for recording a couple of times. He was ready to see it go so I got it cheap ($1100). It was a gamble because a couple of keys were sticking on the far bass end. I called Korg and asked if a demo would be covered under warranty. They said yes, so I bit the bullet and bought it. I took it to the authorized Korg repair guy and he didn't think they would cover the repair. He called them while I was at his shop. Sure enough they approved it on the spot without him even dianosing the problem. They are sending a new keybed. I might have to wait a while, but the gamble paid off.

From what I've read Korg has redesigned the stand for the SV1 and it will be availble soon. I will also purchase the Korg gig bag with built in casters. The extra 5 pounds or so compared to the 73 shouldn't be too bothersome.

BTW, congrats on the NP2!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission