2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kurtmen Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Why?
I thought he was a good contributor. I mean..I didn’t read every single post he had. For the most he had a very good grasp of the piano industry in regard to the motivations or reasons of a giving post or situation and he eloquently expressed his thoughts.
I know he was at time controversial and perhaps almost like a reporter that exposes the truth to the point that he will rough-up some feathers.
IMO this is what a good forum needs; occasional strong opinions. He was really good at uncovering people' agendas maybe a bit paranoid that his assumptions were wrong; not enough to kick him out.
I don't think he was disrespectful or bad spirit?
He also offered good advice without the typical "that's good but have you checked the xyz brand" that by the way me and twenty more members of the forum happen to carry.
I rather see a guy like Turandot than two or three "good old boys" with bunch of cheerleaders that have nothing to say but giving thumbs ups or +1.
Or the dealer that 90% of his posts are with the intention to promote his brands.

I probably don’t know what his done that pushed the moderators into blocking his access to the forum, perhaps is worth considering a second chance for the sake of a more dynamic forum.

Last edited by Kurtmen; 04/20/12 07:13 PM.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Turandot is not banned.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
???????

Thanks

Woody

[Linked Image]
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
William was not permanently banned. There was a timed period. I believe it ended sometime ago.

Virtually everyone agrees that his knowledge was far greater than that of most of us and that he was able to convey that information to the benefit of most of us (including me personally on several occasions). As a result, many of us miss his contributions.

From what has been said, it's clear that none of what's in the paragraph immediately above has anything to do what happened nor have I heard anyone denying the significant value of his contributions.

Disagreements are, as I think you're suggesting, essential to the dialogue here. Simply avoiding curse words (no one has accused William of that) does not, by itself, mean that all that's written is therefore civil. Any opinion can be spoken here without being hurtful to the person who is being disagreed with. We're not talkin' politics and religion. It's just pianos!

We do not need to humiliate a 14-year-old (assuming you read the thread that some interpreted that way). Any point can be made without barbs.

I think this is about trying to maintain as high a level of civility as possible. What's the harm in that? Ain't nobody trying to step on anyone's First Amendment rights nor should there be. My 2 cents.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just for clarity sake, whenever any forum (this one or another) "bans" somebody they do not prevent them from accessing the site.
They are usually just prevented from posting but they can still read all the threads.

And turandot was only away for a few weeks apparently.

I too think he is extremely knowledgeable about many issues and agree that he is a valuable poster around here.
I've definitely learned things from him.
And yes, he certainly is a good writer and gets his information across very effectively.
I always enjoy reading well expressed thoughts.

But like a few posters I try to ignore their occasional bullying tactics especially if they are not directed at me.
(that said, I generally try to keep out of Pianist's Corner for the same reason)

Last edited by Sparky McBiff; 04/21/12 08:45 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
why take a writing course when you can read Turandot's posts? I do appreciate civility but i also appreciate vocabulary. maybe i am too open minded.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Originally Posted by apple*
why take a writing course when you can read Turandot's posts? I do appreciate civility but i also appreciate vocabulary. maybe i am too open minded.
Civility is far more important than vocabulary/writing skills, especially if those skills are so frequently used to write nasty/mean spirited posts.

Originally Posted by jivemutha

Virtually everyone agrees that his knowledge was far greater than that of most of us...
Most of the dealers, techs, and professional pianists on the forum have far greater knowledge IMO.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think the OP asked a valid question that has been answered.

But I am also uncomfortable with the direction this topic is taking. This is not the gong show and we're not here to vote William on or off the island. He is back and is free to post whenever he wishes, and I just don't think it's kind or productive to have a topic become a discussion on the merits of any member.

As my dad says, "done is done".

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission