2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by Mark_C
We were talking about the sharpness with which we may perceive aspects of the rhythm.

(As was noted.) smile

The clearer the sound, the starker the imperfections (and any other aspects).
I understood exactly what you were talking about despite your endless and boring tendency to discuss words used in posts(you've probably made more posts just doing just that than most PW have made in all their posts). Of course, it's just your opinion. I think only the sound one hears is affected by the music desk.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I never really thought much about whether the music stand was up or down seeing as I only have that option when I perform, and I'm usually too concerned with the physicallity of the performance itself. I do know that I'm consistently told by my teacher to make sure I put it down. I'm assuming it has more to do with etiquette.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Play with the stand down.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I understood exactly what you were talking about....

If you understood it, then what you said was unfathomably dense. grin
(Really.)

It only made sense if you had misunderstood it or just missed some posts. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

BTW in case you haven't noticed, I don't say such blunt things to you except in reply to your attack posts. All you have to do is cut it out.

I think only the sound one hears is affected by the music desk.

That's exactly what I was talking about, my friend -- how the different sound quality can affect one's perception of the rhythm, and it seemed that's what Jason and Bruce meant too. (If you wish, ask them.) So, you did misunderstand, and you did deserve that benefit of the doubt.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by beet31425
...I've been horrified at what I heard: everything sounded so loud, so harsh, so slightly rhythmically imprecise. It was like seeing a picture in harsh lighting when I've been used to something nice and soft.

This is what should concern you most, because not only are those imperfections what YOU hear, but they are what the audience will hear as well. This is only one of many reasons why it is so important to learn the fine art of listening (which is much more difficult than most believe...nor is it even WHAT most believe it to be). Record yourself often and listen to what you're doing. You will more than likely be quite surprised by what you hear.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Online Content
That's exactly what I was talking about, my friend -- how the different sound quality can affect one's perception of the rhythm...
You mean how you think that can happen. Not everyone on the thread agrees with you about the rhythm(me, wouter and perhaps Bruce) although you state your opinion as fact.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/20/12 07:46 AM.
J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
This thread led me to experiment with this a little. The main difference I notice playing without the stand is that the sound is louder. I found I didn't want to play the ff sections fortissimo, which makes me wonder: maybe it's not that great an idea for regular practice to blast one's ears with all that sound? after all, the audience is a lot further away from the sound source.

I didn't notice so much difference between stand up and stand down. I always play with the stand pushed back so that the pins are exposed; otherwise the sound seems muffled to me. Stand up/down seems to make more difference when the stand is closer to the keys.

1989 Baldwin R
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Maybe all those open scrolled ornate music stands served a purpose other than just decoration.. they switched over to solid stands in the 20th century..

Originally Posted by Bob Newbie
Maybe all those open scrolled ornate music stands served a purpose other than just decoration....

Come to think of it, yeah!

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Maybe all those open scrolled ornate music stands served a purpose other than just decoration....

Yes, but the stand in the "up" position would be supporting a score covering a large portion of the music desk. Last time I checked 19th century scores weren't "open-scrolled" like the music desks!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by BruceD

Yes, but the stand in the "up" position would be supporting a score covering a large portion of the music desk. Last time I checked 19th century scores weren't "open-scrolled" like the music desks!

Regards,

Scores are less dense than wood, and I would be willing to bet that a score on an open scrolled music desk would block much less sound than a score on a solid desk.

Then again, my opinion in this matter may be biased because I have a Baldwin with a very thick and wide desk rather than a relatively small Steinway desk. The difference on my piano between desk up and no desk is incredible - all the inconsistencies of the instrument and my playing are much more clear.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
I've always thought a perforated music desk would be better for the sound (as well as nicer looking). Really the horizontal surface over the strings ought to be perforated as well as the part that holds the music--not sure if the old designs did that.

1989 Baldwin R
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Always, always down. Always!!!! Always. Even when I'm playing with music, it's down, and the music is laying down instead of being up. Unless I'm JUST starting to learn something, or unless it's chamber. But even for chamber, I sometimes like trying things out with the stand down. You are much more aware of the sound you're producing that way, and you hear closer to what they hear.

I just haaaate it being up when there's no score. It's such a huge pet-peeve of mine.

"The eyes can mislead, the smile can lie, but the shoes always tell the truth."
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
The problem with open scroll work is that you can't write your annotations without moving the paper to a solid surface. Office clipboards solve that.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission