2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 15 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just hooked up the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. For me, and what I an doing now, they are perfect. The sound quality exceeds the internal speakers. There is a deeper presence when playing. Clearly they are not the "audiophile"-type speakers, but they get the job done with a smaller footprint. I am happy.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
pv88, I am curious. What level do you have the subwoofer set to? Is it at 10 o'clock (the mark) or do you have it set higher? I'm still playing with the volume levels too (DP vs. speaker). Thanks

[Linked Image]
P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by scorpio
Just hooked up the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. For me, and what I an doing now, they are perfect. The sound quality exceeds the internal speakers. There is a deeper presence when playing. Clearly they are not the "audiophile"-type speakers, but they get the job done with a smaller footprint. I am happy.

@scorpio,

I am glad that you like your new Klipsch setup and your description is exactly correct as for the quality of these speakers, as well.

As for your question, I never need to turn the subwoofer up above the "mark" as that is more than enough bass for a piano!

Also, the best spot for the sub is under the far left side of your piano (or, bass end) as that is where bass sounds originate.

Don't turn it too high unless you want to rumble the walls. grin

Extra note:

Be very careful when moving the subwoofer around as it is very easy to break off the connectors in the back where the wires go in, and, if you don't have to move the sub, you are better off.

Always disconnect any wires first if you do need to lift, or, move it.

K
K
Originally Posted by pv88
Yes, I use them with a V-Piano and a Kawai EP3 and note that the speakers are hooked directly to the headphone jack on the pianos. The two satellite speakers are small enough to place them right on top of the V-Piano (one at each end) and the subwoofer can be placed below the keyboard and to the far left side to reinforce vibrations on the bass end of the keyboard.

These are not "high end" speakers/monitors but I believe that they easily outperform anything in the $200 - $300 range as you will pay only $150. They have very good treble and mid-range clarity (with tweeter horns and a midrange speaker in each satellite) and the sub speaks for itself.

There is more than enough power to drive any digital piano and you can reach acoustic-like volume levels if needed. Again, the speakers operate from a cable you attach to the headphone jack, as the output.

I have a Roland FP-7F that I like very much. However, the internal speakers leave a bit to be desired and I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing these Klipsch 2.1 speakers to supplement the built-in speakers without having to spend a lot of money in the process. My question is this: is it possible to drive the Klipsch speakers to a sufficient volume level (given that they're self-amplified) via the 'Line Out' jacks using a y-adapter cable (1/4" female stereo socket splitting into two 1/4" male mono plugs, which is readily available at any Guitar Center for about $20.00) rather than driving them via the headphone jack? I ask this because driving these Klipsch speakers through the headphone jack will disable the internal speakers and I would like to hear both pairs of speakers at the same time for a fuller, richer sound. Any suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

K.

Kevin L. Spindler
Early Keyboard Instruments
Stonington, CT
Harpsichords & Clavichords
Custom Instruments Built to Order
Rebuilding, Repair & Restoration
http://www.facebook.com/kevin.spindler.129
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I have a hard time understanding the use of computer speakers on a piano, when, for around the same money you can get a proper set of bookshelf or even tower speakers, and amplifier to drive them.

For example, this rig (less the piano) cost me just under $300. Two towers, two bookshelf speakers with stands, five-channel receiver/amplifier, and equalizer.[Linked Image]
Does a computer speaker set provide comparable value?

P
pv88 Offline OP
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by KLSinCT
My question is this: is it possible to drive the Klipsch speakers to a sufficient volume level (given that they're self-amplified) via the 'Line Out' jacks using a y-adapter cable (1/4" female stereo socket splitting into two 1/4" male mono plugs, which is readily available at any Guitar Center for about $20.00) rather than driving them via the headphone jack? I ask this because driving these Klipsch speakers through the headphone jack will disable the internal speakers and I would like to hear both pairs of speakers at the same time for a fuller, richer sound. Any suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

@Kevin,

You ask a very good question, although I am not sure as to how the Klipsch speakers would work (and, sound) through the line out jacks instead of the headphone jack, which is the intended output.

The speakers sound quite sufficient using just the headphone jack, since the V-Piano that I play has no additional built-in speakers of its own. The Klipsch are the only amplification for my V-Piano.

Extra note:

Perhaps someone else has tried the setup you mention?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So after a couple of days with my new Klipsch speakers I am getting a crackling sound out of the right satellite. I am quite annoyed. I have pretty decent hearing, so it drives me bonkers. These are probably going right back.

So now I am back to square one. MacMacMac, any suggestions on a good set of bookshelf speakers? I really don't want anything huge. And should I be concerned with the frequency response range? I was looking at this setup:

1) Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Monitor Series Powered Subwoofer (Single, Black)
2) Polk Audio TSi100 Bookshelf Speakers (Pair, Black)

I am hoping with the powered subwoofer I would not need an amp/receiver.

ugh!

[Linked Image]
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
I have a hard time understanding the use of computer speakers on a piano, when, for around the same money you can get a proper set of bookshelf or even tower speakers, and amplifier to drive them.

Aesthetics, perhaps. All those pieces and all that wiring may not be appealing. Also, bigger does not always sound better, especially if you're not necessarily looking for much volume. There are certainly higher priced small speakers that sound much better than lower priced big speakers.

O
O
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

For example, this rig (less the piano) cost me just under $300. Two towers, two bookshelf speakers with stands, five-channel receiver/amplifier, and equalizer.[Linked Image]
Does a computer speaker set provide comparable value?

Where do you get a 5.1 channel receiver for less than $200 (new) or a tower speaker for less than $100 each?

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Scorpio,

You might want to consider a studio monitor setup.
A pair of Yamaha HS50 LINK and the HS10W LINK is a nice clean sounding system. A friend of mine uses them on his Kawai MP10. Very nice!

I have used the Rokit 5 monitors with a 10' sub they sounded great. But I decided to use them in my home studio for mixing.
I then bought a Roland CM-220 system LINK that I am very happy with the sound of, in fact I personally like them more than the Rokits system for my MOX8. They are very accurate, clean with plenty of bass for even the lowest keys. The nice thing about the Roland system is its very portable, the satellites are passive with all the amps in the sub (1 power plug) and mount on mic stands. I have used these once at a church performance and the 200 watts total had plenty of power to be heard above drums, guitars & choir.

Last edited by Kbeaumont; 01/15/13 01:17 PM.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
New? Not me.
New = big depreciation. I let someone else take that loss.
Originally Posted by ONfrank
Where do you get a 5.1 channel receiver for less than $200 (new) or a tower speaker for less than $100 each?
Save for the piano, all of the equipment was used, purchased on Ebay and Craigs List.

That receiver listed at $200 new in 2002. I got it for $32 in 2009, in pristine condition.
The tower speakers were $400+ new in 1996. I paid $100 (for the pair) in 2009.
The small speakers cost me $40. (I don't know the new price from 2002.)

Not shown:
A Shure mixer that is still available for $250. I paid $54.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Of course, pricey "computer speakers" can also be purchased for a lot less used. Not everyone likes buying used stuff, though.

J
J
Yamaha RX-V373 5.1-Channel AV Receiver 189.99 on Amazon right now. I paid 249.99 in April and I would do it again in a heartbeat. My review:

My Klipsch 5.1 THX pro-media system for my computer failed on me last year after about 9 years of use so I thought I would purchase an AV receiver to run the speakers and get a plate amp for the subs. Since I had just upgraded my computer and now had onboard optical audio port, I thought I would go the AV receiver for a total home theater experience, rather than just get a dedicated PC sound system.

Well, plans change and I was rooting through my parents basement last weekend and dug up some old ADS L810. Plugged those in along with the Klipsch center and surround speakers and it sounds incredible. So I went back to the folks basement, did some more digging, and found a pair of ADS L710! Now I have the Klipsch still on center, but the 810s are my fronts and the 710s are my surrounds and it crazy loud and sounds excellent. I also hook my digital piano up through the receiver and its great because I can just do "straight" and not have to worry about any sound modification.

Did a lot of research on receivers in this price range (200-300) and this can't be beat. Best out there for the money period. Would recommend to anyone looking to get into the AV game, wants a feature rich device, but doesn't want to pay for additional inputs and outputs.

Hardware:
Yamaha RX-V373
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe Motherboard - Windows 7 Ultimate
Klipsch ProMedia satellite center
ADS L810s Fronts
ADS L710s Surround
Bash 300 Plate Amp wired to JL 12W6V1

Good luck on finding some ADS quality bookshelves smile

oh yeah, I got this hooked up to my Kawai MP-10. The whole set up is a jaw dropper.

A
A
Hi Friends,

I tend to agree with MacMacMac. Last year I purchased a Kawai CA-63, very happy with action and feel, but the speakers had a twang to them and no matter how much I tweaked with the Virtual Technician and settings, I couldn't get rid of it. When I listened through the headphones the twang went away. When I used my computers speakers it improved, but they were very directional.

After comparing the cost of buying a new computer, enhanced soundcard and an improved set of computer speakers it would've been over $1000.

I went out and purchased a set of Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 45's. I now own a life like piano. No twang, beautiful clarity, and finally I hear a true grand piano sound. When I record something I download to the USB and replay through the piano, it sounds lifelike. In someways I feel like I have a sound equal or better than the CA-93 for a lot less price.

For piano, I see no reason to buy a sub-woofer, the piano sounds great w/o it.

For some, you might want to look into it. I am so glad I did.

Czar
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission