2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 7 invisible), 1,242 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
doremi Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
My background is piano, and since recently, also keyboard, although without a pedalboard.

I notice that the Yamaha STAGEA D-DECK and the Roland ATELIER Combo AT-350C can be bought as a 2-manual keyboard alone without a pedalboard. I thought that they would be adequate initial learning vehicles, with the pedalboard (perhaps?) coming later.

Or do you have any other suggestions for a beginner who is afraid of pedal boards? shocked

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Lots of musicians use organs without pedalboards. Probably the expression pedal is more important because a lot of people use their left hand to play bass. But in the long run, the pedals are a benefit and I think you'd be doing yourself a favor to learn them.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There are some very basic Pipe Organs with only a single manual, or in some cases, 2 manuals without pedals. Mind you, they're harder to play, as you can't hold a pedal note or run while you use your left hand to change stops or presets. But then, most of these very small organs don't have many stops to play around with anyway.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
S
S
Pedalboards aren't as scary as they look! ...easy for me to say- my degree is in organ :P

Short answer to your question, yes- an organ without a pedalboard is certainly still a musical instrument.

Longer answer: remember that organs and pianos (or keyboards) are completely different instruments and are played differently. One big difference is that the left hand isn't usually used to play the bass notes, as it is on the piano. There are a list of other differences, too-- notes don't decay on the organ, the organ has different stops that provide different combinations of timbres, etc.

I strongly encourage any pianist to learn organ, if nothing else, because it's a neat instrument. But you'll also make yourself substantially more employable for wedding gigs, or even a church gig.

There are a number of beginning organ method books designed for pianists to learn how to play organ (...yes, even the pedals!) quickly. Joyce Jones wrote a book called the "King of Instruments" published by MorningStar. It's only about $25 and is a great introductory course.

...And, of course, since it doesn't sound like you have a pedalboard at home... Usually churches are pretty nice about letting people practice on their organ if they're confident that you'll be respectful of the instrument!

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I used to play organ and all I can say is it depends what you want to play on it. If you do get a pedalboard make sure you get one that goes to the f above middle c.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission