2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
66 members (accordeur, AndrewJCW, Baltguy, Animisha, anotherscott, ambrozy, A. Lucato, Beemer, 19 invisible), 738 guests, and 542 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Nord revelation (and query to Clavia)
PianoZac #1879866 04/15/12 03:32 AM
M
maurus Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ZacharyForbes
Yeah it's a really cool thing to control my Nord Piano from my AvantGrand action. Too bad they can't stick that AvantGrand action in the NP88 and keep the weight down to 39lbs... smile

I can imagine that smile

And I understand of course that it's always a trade-off between weight and a more substantial action. I think many of us would prefer a few pounds more in exchange for a step up in the action (should we run a poll?).

The least Clavia should do is provide further velocity curves, and why not a user-defined one.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
maurus #1880128 04/15/12 05:20 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by maurus
of course that it's always a trade-off between weight and a more substantial action. I think many of us would prefer a few pounds more in exchange for a step up in the action

The issues include (a) people agreeing on what a "better" action is, and (b) how "few" pounds you're talking about. The Yamaha and Roland boards that I think feel better than Nord's are only in boards that weigh 53+ lbs. (And as I talked about before, Nord doesn't have the option of using those keybeds anyway, since Yamaha and Roland keep them for themselves.)

Instead of wishing for things that, for one reason or another, are unlikely to actually exist, the answer today, for someone who wants the sounds of a Nord Piano with the action of their favorite 88, is to put a NS2-73 over your favorite 88. It's not cheap, but you'll get what you want. (Or you might be content putting a much cheaper E3-61 over your 88, though that doesn't have quite every feature of the NP.)

anotherscott #1880203 04/15/12 07:42 PM
D
D
anotherscott speaks the truth.

Yamaha CP33 | Roland XP-30
maurus #1880271 04/15/12 09:22 PM
J
J
(1) Extract the guts of the NE3HP and attach it to the P155, now you have to notch action and sound.

(2) Ask Clavia to release a NE3 rack.

Convoluted I know, but at least there is a way.

Nord Piano | Yamaha S90ES | Yamaha MOX 8 | Neumann U87 | Metric Halo 2882
maurus #1880272 04/15/12 09:23 PM
J
J
Guys why not do the opposite? Have Clavia license its sound engine to all the DP manufacturers, then we can enjoy a variety of actions and cabinet designs from all these manufacturers (think Roland Yamaha Kawai Steinway... all with Nord sound!)

Nord Piano | Yamaha S90ES | Yamaha MOX 8 | Neumann U87 | Metric Halo 2882
James Pun #1880280 04/15/12 09:50 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by James Pun
Guys why not do the opposite? Have Clavia license its sound engine to all the DP manufacturers, then we can enjoy a variety of actions and cabinet designs from all these manufacturers (think Roland Yamaha Kawai Steinway... all with Nord sound!)

Big assumptions there... that Nord has any interest in licensing their stuff (they may not want to if it means people have less reason to buy Nords)... that other companies have any interest in licensing it (Roland, Yamaha, and Kawai probably already feel that make superior products in-house).

And, btw, toward what end? All of this assumes that there is a very substantial market of people who would buy some form of Nord Piano if only the action were "better." Personally, I think they probably already offer the best action in any current board under 50 lbs.

MIDI does allow people to mix and match whichever keybed with whatever sound engine, for those so inclined.

anotherscott #1880304 04/15/12 10:54 PM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by anotherscott

And, btw, toward what end? All of this assumes that there is a very substantial market of people who would buy some form of Nord Piano if only the action were "better."

I'm one. I'd say there would be a dozen on this forum. I would love to have a NS2, but the action isn't good enough for the amount of money they ask.

Personally, I think they probably already offer the best action in any current board under 50 lbs.

Probably, but it's still no good for demanding technical requirements. Somebody who really values the action doesn't buy Nord. I'd rather it weighed more and played better. I realise a lot of people value the portability factor more than I do though. I still think Nord should release one heavyweight piano to complete its range. They can keep the rest of them lightweight. What's with this idea that all Nord products must have the same attributes?

I don't really want to have multiple keyboard setups either.

ando #1880313 04/15/12 11:24 PM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Most of the appeal of the Stage is more aimed at "keyboardists" playing in bands that seek an all in one board. With that in mind, Nord succeeds imo.

Most of the people on the PW digital section are more of a pianist mentality (a good thing) and also much more discriminating when it comes to piano actions.

I have (arguably) the top two more portable gigging options. As much as it's nice to have the much better action on the CP5 for gigs, the end result is-it's still a DP and not in the realm of a real acoustic. So my reasoning is- at almost 59 I'll take the more portable option of the Nord over the 55 lb Yamaha. I'll spend dough on higher end speakers, preamps, DIs and try to get the best sound out of the NP.

Bottom line is-I'm not anywhere near 100% on either of them.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4
Dave Ferris #1880333 04/16/12 12:25 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
Most of the appeal of the Stage is more aimed at "keyboardists" playing in bands that seek an all in one board. With that in mind, Nord succeeds imo.

Most of the people on the PW digital section are more of a pianist mentality (a good thing) and also much more discriminating when it comes to piano actions.

I have (arguably) the top two more portable gigging options. As much as it's nice to have the much better action on the CP5 for gigs, the end result is-it's still a DP and not in the realm of a real acoustic. So my reasoning is- at almost 59 I'll take the more portable option of the Nord over the 55 lb Yamaha. I'll spend dough on higher end speakers, preamps, DIs and try to get the best sound out of the NP.

Yes, all of that is very valid. But what I'm challenging is the assumption that Nord must be focussed solely on lightweight gear. Where is the evidence that they couldn't make one or two heavier models that actually perform better? Some are presenting the argument that Nord can't do that because they don't do that. It's illogical. It wouldn't destroy the entire ethos of the company to add another string to its bow.

The fact that other manufacturers make heavier models and people buy them also supports the notion that players do value the action of a digital piano. I'll say it again, I'd love to own a Nord Stage 2, I love its features, but the action is too far below what I consider to be acceptable. No amount of easy haulage capacity is going to overcome that for me.

Dave Ferris #1880334 04/16/12 12:26 AM
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris

Yes, all of that is very valid. But what I'm challenging is the assumption that Nord must be focussed solely on lightweight gear. What is the reason that they couldn't make one or two heavier models that actually perform better? Some are presenting the argument that Nord can't do that because they don't do that. It's illogical. It wouldn't destroy the entire ethos of the company to add another string to its bow.

The fact that other manufacturers make heavier models and people buy them also supports the notion that players do value the action of a digital piano. I'll say it again, I'd love to own a Nord Stage 2, I love its features, but the action is too far below what I consider to be acceptable. No amount of easy haulage capacity is going to overcome that for me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
DIY Acoustical Digital Piano - algorithm
by stemPianist - 01/16/21 01:04 PM
First post. Question about Baldwin model R
by Gregory Waits - 01/16/21 11:29 AM
Garritans CFX Sample Player ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/16/21 11:16 AM
The College Experience
by MinscAndBoo - 01/16/21 10:40 AM
Kawai ES110 Quality Control
by MusicMaster709 - 01/16/21 10:32 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,293
Posts3,047,341
Members100,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission