2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,167 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by apple*
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Actually virtually all of your posts could be cut down by at least 50% and say the same thing. You constantly repeat yourself in almost every post and usually include numerous side issues and parentheticals. Then you say the same thing in later posts in the same thread. If the number of words was counted, you would have far more than any poster at PW despite being a member for a relatively short time.

In other words, you hog the conversation both in terms of frequency of posting and length of posts.

ya think?

At least he is positive smile I think the value of positive posts are twice the value of negative posts. jmho
I don't think constantly hogging the conversation is positive. In face to face situations, few people would want to have conversations with that type of person. I'ts one of the problems of the internet age.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/13/12 09:24 AM.
PL: Show me a sentence that you think was superfluous, and I'm pretty sure I'll be able easily show you why it wasn't.

(If you decline, you admit defeat.) ha

Apple: Thank you!

Originally Posted by Mark_C
(If you decline, you admit defeat.) ha
Sounds like a pre teen talking.

You lose. smile

And that's typical of what you do: You criticize, but you don't follow through.

Here's another deal: How about confining posts to contributions to the subject, rather than trash-talk of other people's posts.

oh, and welcome UrLicht to the forum.

I'm impressed with all who tackle this ridiculous etude. I played it for about a week and said 'never again'.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Originally Posted by Mark_C
You lose. smile

And that's typical of what you do: You criticize, but you don't follow through.

Here's another deal: How about confining posts to contributions to the subject, rather than trash-talk of other people's posts.
You mean like this last post of yours didn't do?

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
You mean like this last post of yours didn't do?

You're absolutely right about that.

These posts are a waste -- except that they're helping to lay you bare for the occasional trolling that you do, and so perhaps they'll get you to stop doing it.

If so, they're no waste.

How about keeping the posts to the subject. That seems reasonable, doesn't it?
That's what we were doing, till you came on and trash-talked, and here we are.....

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This kind of question comes up here again and again and again: people think that a longer note value means you have to hold the note that long with your finger. You don't. It truly amazes me that people who are advanced enough to play such pieces are under that false impression.

I think it really goes without saying that no one can hold the quarter notes down for the full amount of time and play the piece anywhere near full speed. There would not be enough time to switch one's hand position. I think one should hold the quarter notes as long as possible.

Okay, so this is apparently the consensus-- the mutual opinion that started the whole argument! ha
I'm being careful not to name names... whome

Mostly yes, except that the part about holding "as long as possible" isn't a consensus. I'd say that the guidepost is almost the opposite: you get off the key as soon as you can, with still achieving the sound that you want on the note.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by UrLicht
Assuming you know the passage I'm talking about - for the life of me, with all of the slow practice I do on that piece, I can't get that passage up to speed. My fingers get "confused". Does anyone have any tips for practicing that section?

UrLicht - getting back to your original post… I believe your comment that your fingers "get confused" is a clue to the real problem you're having with the first passage. It is something of a brain-twister. I believe part of the problem (or maybe even the main problem) is that there is a conflict between rhythmic groups and hand-positions. It helps to analyze these things carefully when trying to problem solve.

Here's an illustration:

[Linked Image]

The red boxes indicate hand positions - the notes that can be played with the hand held in one position (the left hand positions change in sync with the RH). See how they don't line up with the rhythmic groups? They are off by one 16th. This kind of conflict can muddle the brain.

I suggested above practicing the notes that fall on the main beats as block chords. Upon further investigation, which reveals this mis-match, I suggest practicing this way:

[Linked Image]

I would first play through this several times, slowly, then alternate between this block reduction and playing the passage as written, again slowly for a while. Notice also that the hand position does NOT change on the very last beat.

One other thing to notice is that the thumb plays on a black note once in the LH, and once in the RH and they do so on different beats:

[Linked Image]

First the LH, then the RH. The hands will move forward slightly, and it can be helpful to notice that they don't coincide and which hand goes first.

Hope this helps.

I think that as Marc said, the sound is what's important. Those quarter notes all have accents on them, and if you play the accent correctly, you've accomplished what is needed, that is, to bring out that top line. At speed, you won't hear any difference whether you hold the note or not, as long as you accent it properly. In cases like this, I often play the line that needs to be brought out on its own just so I have a clear idea of what I need to be hearing once the rest is all in place.

I think Marc's posts are well-informed and very helpful, he seems to be very knowledgeable. I'm just amazed at how ubiquitous he is on these forums! Do you post from work, Marc?

Thanks, richter! And no -- I don't even have internet at the office. I just have unusual work hours.
(And I do a lot of my work from home, where I take 'occasional' breaks to see what going on online.) grin

Of course I'm glad that you agree with the thrust of what I've said. But how interesting it is that we have essentially opposite views, by people who know something -- some of whom (including me) think the other side is completely wrong.

Such is it with art. smile

Originally Posted by s.t.richter
Those quarter notes all have accents on them, and if you play the accent correctly, you've accomplished what is needed, that is, to bring out that top line. At speed, you won't hear any difference whether you hold the note or not, as long as you accent it properly.
Chopin wrote the top notes as quarter notes besides with an accent, not just an accent on those notes. IMO one should hold the notes as long as one can(two or preferably three 16ths)and still be able to play the passage. I don't think anyone is advocating holding the note for an entire quarter note as playing the passage would be impossible at full speed.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/14/12 09:23 AM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by s.t.richter
At speed, you won't hear any difference whether you hold the note or not, as long as you accent it properly.

Simply untrue.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Two more pionts I must make about this whole issue of whether or not to hold those quarter notes. First, if you have the technique to master this etude, I doubt seriously that holding them for a reasonable amount of time (again, yes, of course you have to lift before the end of the beat to be able to play the next quarter note) is going to pose a serious difficulty. Second, IMO the assumption that not holding them makes the passage easier to play is a completely arbitrary one. One could argue just the opposite.

Originally Posted by JerryS88
....the assumption that not holding them makes the passage easier to play is a completely arbitrary one. One could argue just the opposite.

No, you couldn't.

Maybe tell us how? smile

It's clearly more difficult to do stuff when a finger is busy still holding down a note than when it isn't.

If not, please tell us how. I will have learned something that I thought defied the laws of physics and anatomy.

why would you NOT hold those quarter notes down for their full value.. they sound GREAT, they reduce the hand span to size that allows the fingers to swirl around another. I don't see where it is difficult

Gads... i have been spending too much time on this once rejected etude. I haven't practiced too much these last four years. My hands have deteriorated while my understanding has improved. fun

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Originally Posted by apple*
why would you NOT hold those quarter notes down for their full value.. they sound GREAT, they reduce the hand span to size that allows the fingers to swirl around another. I don't see where it is difficult....

It constrains the ability of the hand to do the rest of what's going on. There is no way (none) that the hand is as free to do the rest of it when you're holding down that key as when you aren't.

And that's even aside from the obvious thing of it being impossible anyway to hold them down for "their full value" (as you put it) because of the jump to the next chord that would be required.

Plus there's no advantage.
(What do you think is the advantage?)

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
The advantage is that it sounds better when you hold it a tiny bit more? Mark C you make so many posts trying to tell people that it's the sound that matters not how long you hold the note blah blah and keep on arguing. If it's more difficult to hold the notes down, but not impossible, then holding them down longer trains dexterity better. I think it's useful to build "quasi legato" technique in a place like this; If you can stay in control of the rest of the fingers while your pinky is moving quickly and precisely, that's a great thing.

The reason why people are saying you should hold it for how long is not because they consider it blasphemy to not hold notes that the score suggests you hold, but because in general it will sound better if held longer. Every piano has a different note decay of course but how long you hold always makes a difference.

Last edited by trigalg693; 04/15/12 01:01 AM.
Originally Posted by trigalg693
The advantage is that it sounds better when you hold it a tiny bit more?

I said it should best be held at least a bit more!

That's not the debate.

you make so many posts trying to tell people that it's the sound that matters not how long you hold the note blah blah and keep on arguing....

A lot of it is to correct misunderstandings, like the one you just made.

We agree -- but apparently without your realizing it.
And you're disagreeing (apparently) with the same people I'm disagreeing with. They're saying it's important to hold it down much longer than what you said.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission