2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Carey Offline OP

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

It is my understanding that the Kawai RX BLAK and Kawai Shigeru pianos both have the Millenium III action. Is the Millenium III action really identical in both lines? What are the differences, if any?????

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
I don't think the action as such is different. Hammers might be (at least Kawai's description is different), and other parts (strings, soundboard, ...) will be. Most importantly, the instruments sound differently. Not so long ago I compared several RX2 with an SK2 - the latter was a quite another instrument. It's now standing in front of me.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Dear Carey,
I am no expert, but I believe that the Millenium III action is the same action which is used in both the Kawai RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos.

The Shigeru Kawai action will have more meticulous regulation and adjustment in these individually crafted pianos.

However, the hammers are different. Kawai claims that the "Shiko Seion" hammers, a feature of the Shigeru Kawai range, meaning "highest level of voicing", are hand pressed and use New Zealand and Australian long fibre wool.

Regards,
Robert.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Although I don't know the answer to your first question with certainty, it seems the actions on the Shigeru pianos are regulated to a finer degree of precision (and more to my liking than the RX Blak pianos the few times I've had a chance to try 'em back to back). The RX can seem slightly sluggish or less "dialed in" by comparison.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
It is my understanding that the Kawai RX BLAK and Kawai Shigeru pianos both have the Millenium III action. Is the Millenium III action really identical in both lines? What are the differences, if any?????

To me the question needs to be answered by the person playing and trying the various models.

Having played literally thousands of pianos in my life, I can only remember those which were well regulated and those which were not.

If I would have taken out the action each time to see what's inside, I would be still working on this...

Norbert

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
If you're asking whether or not one is inherently superior over the other, the answer is no.

A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by beethoven986
If you're asking whether or not one is inherently superior over the other, the answer is no.

What facts or opinions, if any, are you basing your answer on?

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
Carey Offline OP

OP Offline

Originally Posted by maurus
I don't think the action as such is different. Hammers might be (at least Kawai's description is different), and other parts (strings, soundboard, ...) will be. Most importantly, the instruments sound differently. Not so long ago I compared several RX2 with an SK2 - the latter was a quite another instrument. It's now standing in front of me.

Lucky you !!!!! thumb

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Carey Offline OP

OP Offline

Originally Posted by Robert 45
Dear Carey,
I am no expert, but I believe that the Millenium III action is the same action which is used in both the Kawai RX BLAK and Shigeru Kawai pianos.

The Shigeru Kawai action will have more meticulous regulation and adjustment in these individually crafted pianos.

However, the hammers are different. Kawai claims that the "Shiko Seion" hammers, a feature of the Shigeru Kawai range, meaning "highest level of voicing", are hand pressed and use New Zealand and Australian long fibre wool.

Regards,
Robert.

Robert - while you might not be an expert, your reply does, indeed, make good sense. Thanks !!!!!!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Carey Offline OP

OP Offline

Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Although I don't know the answer to your first question with certainty, it seems the actions on the Shigeru pianos are regulated to a finer degree of precision (and more to my liking than the RX Blak pianos the few times I've had a chance to try 'em back to back). The RX can seem slightly sluggish or less "dialed in" by comparison.

Thanks for your response !

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Carey Offline OP

OP Offline

Originally Posted by Norbert

To me the question needs to be answered by the person playing and trying the various models.

Having played literally thousands of pianos in my life, I can only remember those which were well regulated and those which were not.

If I would have taken out the action each time to see what's inside, I would be still working on this...

Norbert

Hi Norbert -

The actions are either identical or they aren't. The degree of regulation performed at the factory is another matter.

Best -

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
Carey Offline OP

OP Offline

So basically its the same action in both. Is it safe to assume that the Shigeru probably gets a bit more work in the regulation department?? smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
R
R
Does someone have an itemized list of these two pianos features and components side by side for comparison?

Carey Offline OP

OP Offline

Originally Posted by Rafterman
Does someone have an itemized list of these two pianos features and components side by side for comparison?

These details can be found on Kawai's websites for each piano (RX and Shigeru).

The websites for both the Kawai RX BLAK and Kawai Shigeru describe the actions as "Millenium III action with ABS carbon."

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by carey

So basically its the same action in both. Is it safe to assume that the Shigeru probably gets a bit more work in the regulation department?? smile

I think so - if you mean: in the factory. However, a good technician can regulate an RX2 to a similar level of precision, and even an SK2 can go out of optimal regulation.

While this *has* to do with sound, and playability, it is not the only factor determining sound and the way the instrument responds. Don't underestimate the role of the hammers. And I suspect the fuller sound and sustain that I found in the two Shigerus I compared with the RX pianos has to do a lot with the strings (particularly in the bass) and other construction details.

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
I think that the Shigeru has exactly the same action as the RX, but the hammer head is difficult. The same level of regulation should be available on both pianos with a good technician. The soundboard is different and there is more hand finishing on the Shigeru. The price isn't soooooo much higher for a Shigeru (in the UK anyway) so it may just come down to a matter of taste between two individual pianos (say RX2 vs SK2). Some RX2 may sound better than some SK2 and vice versa.

YAMAHA Artist
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Not in my (limited) experience (so far).

Shigeru Kawai SK-2, etc.
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Nor in mine, well, actually there was an old KG-2 that happened to be one of the nicest small grands I've played. That was more to do with this particular piano being exceptional than any of the others being inferior. Also, it was an exception to the rule, because usually the KG-2 isn't that good, or hasn't been looked after or etc etc.

YAMAHA Artist
Carey Offline OP

OP Offline

Originally Posted by maurus
Originally Posted by carey

I think so - if you mean: in the factory. However, a good technician can regulate an RX2 to a similar level of precision, and even an SK2 can go out of optimal regulation.

While this *has* to do with sound, and playability, it is not the only factor determining sound and the way the instrument responds. Don't underestimate the role of the hammers. And I suspect the fuller sound and sustain that I found in the two Shigerus I compared with the RX pianos has to do a lot with the strings (particularly in the bass) and other construction details.

Yes - I meant "in the factory." grin

I realize that the hammers, strings, construction details, etc. are different...I just wanted to verify that the basic "action" was the same.

Thanks !!

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission