2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (Carey, Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
SolidG Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi. This may be slightly OT but what would be an average tip for the piano movers? Assuming everything goes well and it is a first floor delivery? (There are a few steps up from the driveway.)

The piano is coming today and if the movers are decent, i would like to tip them. But the delivery is free (for me) so I don't even have a clue what it costs, if the movers are just "workers" or are also owners of the moving company, etc. If it helps in determining "average tip", I am in New Jersey.

Thanks.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
I usually tip $20.00 per guy, especially if the piano is larger and it's a tough move for them. I also guage it by how much care they do/don't take with the instrument. I live in New York, so I'm pretty sure our tipping habits/expectations may be quite different than other parts of the country.

Piano Technician/Tuner
I'm also curious to see what suggestions are. If it's a smallish upright (not one of those 1910 babes) and first-floor delivery, I'd think $10 each would suffice. More if they have to assemble a grand, or spend time "helping" your wife decide just which wall to place it against.

SolidG Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the suggestions. I should have mentioned that it is a small grand (5'8"). I was thinking between $15 and $20 per mover. SO far, that seems to be the right number.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
There's really no average. Give what you can and remember that the movers generally work hard and are at the bottom of the profit food chain. Their work, if done right, can also make a big difference in your day. I generally overtip. The last piano I had delivered, the piano dealer himself showed up wearing sunglasses and dressed in his gardening clothes trying to blend in with the movers, as if I wouldn't notice.

Mike

M
M
I didn't have a basis for tipping, it took 30min (single story home, up 3 stairs) for an upright/bench assembly. 3 guys, I gave $20 but to the 'main' guy as tip for ALL since he was coordinating the move (and the other 2 went back to the truck while the main guy and I handled paper work). I realize I probably tipped to low from this thread, but I didn't know.

My music_website at http://www.OdysseyofaG.com
D
D
I tipped $20 per mover for a small grand that wasn't a particularly difficult move. Compared to the cost of the piano, it seemed like a small amount to thank people for a somewhat laborious job.

SolidG Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, everyone. Piano has been delivered. They were quick and efficient. There were three guys and I ended up giving them $20 each. Not cheap but as noted above, a tiny fraction of the cost of the piano. This same crew moved several 9' Concert Grand Steinways earlier today. (They didn't make a mistake and bring one to my house but the truth is, I am very happy with the smaller Yamaha C2 I did get.)

So, now, I guess, if anyone asks, $20 per mover seems to be the going rate.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
When I tip anyone, whether it be a waitress or a massage therapist, I usually just figure a flat 20% tip.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
When I tip anyone, whether it be a waitress or a massage therapist, I usually just figure a flat 20% tip.

Hmmm...No way I'd tip $10,000, even on a $50,000 piano!

OK, OK...my husband says you must have meant 20% of the moving charge, not 20% of the piano cost. I was, of course, thinking the dealership was giving you free delivery.

So, maybe I should reconsider the 20%???

Last edited by Annitenth; 04/13/12 09:05 PM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Ohhh come on.. Why not? thumb Next time the tuner comes, tip them 20 % of the cost of the piano! I like that idea!! ha

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Annitenth

Hmmm...No way I'd tip $10,000, even on a $50,000 piano!

OK, OK...my husband says you must have meant 20% of the moving charge, not 20% of the piano cost. I was, of course, thinking the dealership was giving you free delivery.

So, maybe I should reconsider the 20%???

Sounds about right to me. On my recent move of my grand, up the stairs, I tipped the four guys 20% of the cost of the move ($100 total for 4 guys). I seriously doubt that they get tipped for moving concert grands from commercial venues, so it's funny if they expect tips for moving much smaller pianos for private owners. But, I've always tipped the group of guys about 20% of the quoted move price. It's backbreaking work, and I've always used the most highly recommended movers, and they've always come through like a charm.

Cary Rogers, PharmD
San Francisco, CA
1887 Knabe 6'4" (Rebuilt)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well I've only been fortunate to have a grand delivered once to my house and I managed to tip each of the three guys $20.
I was lucky I was able to even afford that at the time because I had put myself into the biggest debt I had ever been in simply to buy the piano.
However I had actually made sure that I could scrape the money together beforehand so that I could tip them.
(Thankfully I got out of debt within six months, which made me wish I bought a bigger piano actually).

pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You guys have so much money to throw around! I only gave them $20 for all 3 guys.

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
Next time the tuner comes, tip them 20 % of the cost of the piano!

What percentage of your clients (customers? patients?) tips?

Last edited by Annitenth; 04/14/12 07:41 PM.
N
N
I just had a new piano delivered Saturday and tipped the movers $20 each.

I am not trying to establish a baseline or anything, just providing another data point. People should feel free to tip or not, as much as they desire.

These movers did an outstanding job, and the piano was moved and set up quickly, properly, and without any damage. They tweaked the position several times on my request and made sure I was happy before they left.

Actively working on:
Bach - Two-part Invention No. 14
Chopin - Prelude in E minor - Op. 28, No. 4
Notenbuch für Nannerl - Tempo di menuetto in F (Anonymous)

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission