2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Tharaus is performing at Le Poisson Rouge in NYC tonight. They just announced that the program will be streaming live online at 730 pm.
His program includes classical and contemporary

Link
:
SCARLATTI
Sonata K64 in D minor
Sonata K9 in D minor
Sonata K72 in C major
Sonata K132 in C major
Sonata K29 in D minor

DEBUSSY
Préludes, Book I (excerpts)

JEAN WIENER
Blues
Maurice Ravel
Five o’clock (Fox trot)

CLEMENT DOUCET
Chopinata (Fox trot sur des motifs de Chopin)

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Thanks for the tip! I'll watch anything he plays.

Jason
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Sounding (and looking) pretty good.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the heads up. I "watched" but the video kept on stalling...don't know if it's my computer or a more general problem.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Thanks for the heads up. I "watched" but the video kept on stalling...don't know if it's my computer or a more general problem.

It did not stall on mine though the sound quality was poor. And I was eating dinner, though so was his live audience.. I wished I could have been there to hear his Scarlatti and La Cathedrale Engloutie. He did a bunch of less "conventional" music after that (chopinata, some Gershwin etc). He is clearly an interesting artist and seemed very engaging. I am hoping to see him at Carnegie Hall next season.

Here is the NYT review, by Tommasini.

The popular Greenwich Village music club Le Poisson Rouge is an informal place where patrons are encouraged to drink and eat during concerts, so there are inevitably some clinking glasses and waiters whooshing by.
But on Monday night the audience that packed the club for the recital by the superb French pianist Alexandre Tharaud was exceptionally quiet and palpably absorbed. In several works, especially a couple of Scarlatti sonatas and Debussy preludes, Mr. Tharaud played with a subdued sensitivity and delicacy of touch that demanded close attention. He got it. There were times during his performance that Le Poisson Rouge seemed like the most intimate of recital halls.

Mr. Tharaud’s career has mostly been in Europe. He has been making a series of impressive recordings on the Virgin Classics label, including an album of Bach’s keyboard concertos with the chamber orchestra Les Violons du Roy (Bernard Labadie conducting), and a collection of 18 Scarlatti sonatas, both released last year.

Mr. Tharaud, 43, seemed in his element at Le Poisson Rouge. Looking trim and dapper in a stylish suit, he cheerfully welcomed the audience and explained that, being an artist, he is prone to whims. So he changed his program at the last minute and announced the works before he played them.

He began with exquisite, crisp and beautifully textured performances of five Scarlatti sonatas, dispatching the spiraling passagework of the breathless Sonata in C (K. 72), with a fleetness and clarity that recalled Vladimir Horowitz, a consummate Scarlatti player.

Next came seven Debussy preludes (from Book 1), completed in 1910. Combining refinement and daring, Mr. Tharaud had these pieces sounding as if they rightfully belonged at a club specializing in contemporary music. Even in the familiar “La Cathédrale Engloutie” (“The Sunken Cathedral”), Mr. Tharaud brought out clashing inner voices and murky harmonies that put a fresh cast on the music. He gave a brilliant account of the teeming “Ce Qu’a Vu le Vent d’Ouest” (“What the West Wind Saw”), and had the audience quietly laughing during the impish passages of the delightfully clumsy “Minstrels.”

He ended with several works that he has recorded for his next Virgin Classics album, due out in the fall and titled “Boeuf Sur le Toit,” after the cabaret-bar in Paris that opened in the early 1920s and soon became a hotbed for the avant-garde scene and American jazz. The recording is a quirky collection of French popular music, blues, Gershwin standards and more, for which Mr. Tharaud is joined by, among others, a banjo player, clarinetist and the soprano Natalie Dessay.

Mr. Tharaud played “Chopinata,” a clever jazz fantasy on Chopin themes by Clément Doucet, who was the house pianist at Boeuf Sur le Toit during its heyday. It was fun to hear his breezy account of “Five O’Clock Foxtrot,” an arrangement of a dance episode from Ravel’s opera “L’Enfant et les Sortilèges.” He ended with a tasteful rendition of “The Man I Love,” the Gershwin classic.

Carnegie Hall will present Mr. Tharaud in its Distinctive Debuts series in October. When asked on Monday during a brief interview if that concert would be at the main hall, Mr. Tharaud said, “No, no, the little one,” meaning Weill Recital Hall. He added, “I’m not enough famous in America.” That may change.

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission