2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Dan, for pianists, how would you recommend we avoid getting into situations like this?

That is the 64 thousand dollar question…..

If I had to answer I would state do your research. For anyone you hire to work on your piano, home, boat, car, etc.

There is a professional group that gives people, such as yourself, complacency by claiming to be a standard for the industry.

At times this can be an illusory as we can all witness in this particular case.

Sparky,

Yes the Teflon thread, the Warranty Tuning Only thread, and this thread, all the same tech.

Originally Posted by Sparky McBiff

This is a shame because it's certainly changed my view of Brodmann and I really admire their pianos.
The only thing I can think of is that perhaps Brodmann has decided to simply go along with the owner's wishes despite all the obvious evidence that his choice in technicians is obviously mistaken.

Impossible to help people who don't want my help.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
From Brodmann's perspective, it may be that they know that the tech is incompetent, but do not wish to alienate the piano owner. If they deal directly with the customer, then they take the problem off the hands of everyone else.

There is a thin line that many of us walk in this business. If we criticize someone else's work, there is a chance that we are the ones who will not be believed.

Semipro Tech
I’ve been told more than once by piano professionals that the piano industry is encapsulated within a small world. Most people in the business know each other or have heard of each other, whether directly or indirectly.

I would also imagine the same is true within the realm of piano technicians… many dealers are technicians, just as many dealers are trained pianist, and good ones on both accounts. I would also imagine that those who do poor/substandard work soon build a reputation for themselves, for better or worse (such as in this thread/case).

I also know from experience that when you recommend someone, quite often, the person to whom you make a recommendation holds you responsible to a certain extent. So, I guess it’s prudent to be very careful who you recommend, for anything.

FWIW, I happen to know my piano tech very well… in fact I know what he’s thinking 24/7, and he knows his limitations. laugh

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
From Brodmann's perspective, it may be that they know that the tech is incompetent, but do not wish to alienate the piano owner. If they deal directly with the customer, then they take the problem off the hands of everyone else.

Yea I think BDB is correct here.
It would be hard to imagine that Brodmann could be this blind so they're just trying to keep the actual owner happy despite the fact that he appears wanting in the smarts department.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
>Brodman has stated clearly that they would like this “technician” to complete a plate screw repair.

From what you wrote I get the impression that Brodmann agreed with the customer that he sticks with customers' preferred tech. Because they know this 'tech' is making a mess of it, they have released both you and the dealer from any responsibility and "take it over".

Since they write explicitly

3) Mr Smith has confirmed he is 100% happy with his chosen technician looking after his piano in future and he is aware that the piano needs to be maintained correctly for the warranty to be valid.

I suppose this is their nice but vague way of saying that his warranty is not valid anymore?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Since this thread has little point other than accusing Brodmann Piano of "abandoning" a dealer, taking some kind of jab at the PTG, and in the process recommending "the manufacturer void the warranty in writing to the owner”, I’m naturally skeptical, especially after hearing only one side of the story and considering the preemptive nature and lack of evidence other than a few pictures for which credibility has not been established.

The only one who heard both sides of the story was Brodmann Piano and after hearing it and seeing all the, er, evidence presented, they felt they had no other recourse than to remove the responsibility for the warranty from the dealer and his tuner, a fairly strong message. They did not want to get in the middle of a he said, she said. Probably good advice for all.

Mike

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Sparky and Wouter79,

Thanks for the additional observations. Wouter yours is a unique perspective that had not come to mind.

Originally Posted by BDB

There is a thin line that many of us walk in this business. If we criticize someone else's work, there is a chance that we are the ones who will not be believed.

This is good too.

That is why when I discovered the unusual regulation and was made aware that the invoice I was looking at were the same technician I reported what I had directly to the dealer and the manufacturer.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Most manufacturers of ANY product have designated service professionals. In the absence of an on-site service center, the are usually centralized service centers. For example, we don't fix digital pianos, we connect digital service customers to Authorized service centers for the particular brand and product.

There is more than one perspective here, but both on its face and even with some speculation, it strikes me as very unusual for a manufacturer to willingly undermine a dealer even if it is an unintended consequence. Brodmann's solution is a novel one, given the customer's wants. There are no winners here. I think the only remaining issue is the $100 service turned $1200 invoice.

I have known individuals in and out of our industry that do a lot of harm without consequence or recourse. There truly is not any forum for this kind of problem. Not for doctors, not for plumbers, not for piano technicians. I feel the main reason this goes on is because few people are willing to challenge someone's livelihood for anything less than a criminal act. Our litigious society makes targets out of even the most reasonable advocates.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Wow, I would LOVE to 'hear' the whole story from Brodman and the technician's perspective. This certainly sounds cut and dried but I have found many times in the past that there are often several sides to most stories.

I expect neither will be posting here to let the resident Lynch mob beat them up though smile

Just sayin'

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom
Wow, I would LOVE to 'hear' the whole story from Brodman and the technician's perspective. This certainly sounds cut and dried but I have found many times in the past that there are often several sides to most stories.

You know, you are right, Roger... there are two sides to every story. I think sometimes we are too quick to pass judgment (myself included) without all the evidence, from both sides.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by Roger Ransom

You know, you are right, Roger... there are two sides to every story. I think sometimes we are too quick to pass judgment (myself included) without all the evidence, from both sides.

Rick

That is certainly true.
However after seeing the itemized invoice that the same technician provided (on another piano) it sure appears that there is something pretty questionable about the work mentality.
It was like he was just making stuff up and I certainly can't imagine a true professional listing things like that.

I don't know if this will come across gently enough, so please pardon if this sounds a bit rough edged.

I believe that Dan is rightly upset with this situation, and he has presented good evidence of the shoddy work done by this other "tech."

But he has also taken Brodmann to task:

I am, at present, aware of two other Brodman products both with warranty items for repair. (Seemingly, not a good mark of brand quality: P*D)

The chances of ANY technician locally here doing warranty work for a Brodman piano in the future?

Slim to no chance at all. Distaste for the corporation's attitude and tactics.

Whenever a customer comes on this board to vent about a dealer or a manufacturer the attitude of many is generally quite suspicious. Strong claims about product deficiencies or bad dealer tactics are often scrutinized quite closely. This is the "other side of the story" some have mentioned.

Yet here we have a maker whose quality control is challenged, and whose relationships with dealers and technicians is strongly criticized. Nary a peep of contest about this.

I have no dog in this fight, to be sure. I just find this curious.

Perhaps Brodmann should see this thread and respond?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've spent most of my career working as a manufacturers rep, including years as a service manager and as such I wouldn't go near this thread.

Not a peep from old Norbert. Seems a bit odd.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bob
Regarding those Bosie bass strings - I'm guessing the tech did not have the correct replacement strings, and simply put something in there on a temporary basis so the piano could be played until the correct replacements arrived. That temporary repair would be preferred over removing the hammer, or blocking the key. At least the key would function and not disrupt the pianist. Simply doing nothing would allow the hammer to wedge between two adjacent bass strings, stressing the hammer flange, and causing key touch issues. Hopefully, the repair was supposed to last just a few days, till new strings arrived.

Bob,

From page one your query;

Regarding the Bosie strings; those photos were taken July 14, 2007. The treble wire replacements are still there.

Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

Not really. If you read the email I posted that came directly from Brodman administration clearly Norbert and any technicians that responded have been dismissed from the responsibility of this file along with any obligation as to warranty requirements.

So I am not sure why he would respond at all.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Maybe he knows that if he posted anything he would attract flak.

But it appears that even without posting anything he still seems to get attention.

Poor Norbert. eek

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Dan--It seems as though the manufacture, faced with a difficult situation, has decided to do whatever it takes to keep the customer happy---even if that means additional (and likely unjustified) expense to them. I just hope you're able to get paid for the work you've done.

Piano*Dad--Some technicians, as a matter of routine, check the tightness of the plate bolts. Unfortunately, there are some who get a bit uhh, 'over-enthusiastic' when tightening these bolts. Without having personally checked the piano out before and after, it's difficult to say if the stripped out bolt is something that happened during manufacturing process, or after...

Rich Lindahl
Piano Restorations in Central CT
www.rivervalleypiano.com
Originally Posted by CTPianotech
Dan--It seems as though the manufacture, faced with a difficult situation, has decided to do whatever it takes to keep the customer happy---even if that means additional (and likely unjustified) expense to them. I just hope you're able to get paid for the work you've done.

Piano*Dad--Some technicians, as a matter of routine, check the tightness of the plate bolts. Unfortunately, there are some who get a bit uhh, 'over-enthusiastic' when tightening these bolts. Without having personally checked the piano out before and after, it's difficult to say if the stripped out bolt is something that happened during manufacturing process, or after...

I agree with both of your observations.

What I am pointing out is that Dan has said things that someone like me (a completely neutral and disinterested party) easily sees as disparaging remarks about the quality of Brodmann products and about their management.

When a customer makes comments of a similar sort about any particular maker, many people here at PW get all over them like the proverbial cheap suit.

Dan says he is aware of even more warranty issues on Brodmann pianos. One does not usually point out stuff like that (without evidence) unless one is venting, and that sort of venting usually gets a very chilly response from the ownership here, since manufacturers have a tendency to issue warnings about liability for .... ah, misstatement.

The implication of Dan's posting seems to be that Brodmann either doesn't believe him, or that Brodmann thinks that he and the unnamed (but probably Vancouver-located) dealer are somehow to blame for these repair problems.

Your explanation about Brodmann's thinking is much more likely, and much less inflammatory.

If you want to see inflammatory, just reread the thread title.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

What I am pointing out is that Dan has said things that someone like me (a completely neutral and disinterested party) easily sees as disparaging remarks about the quality of Brodmann products and about their management.

Simply pointing out that it may now be difficult to get a local tech to deal with a few warranty issues with a few Brodmann pianos is hardly "disparaging remarks" in my opinion.

Everyone is pretty aware that it is not that uncommon among many brands that sometimes they require minor details to be attended to with a new piano.

The implication of Dan's posting seems to be that Brodmann either doesn't believe him, or that Brodmann thinks that he and the unnamed (but probably Vancouver-located) dealer are somehow to blame for these repair problems.

Yes it does seem that way but I think many of us would also feel the same way because it would be hard to not take it personally as a personal affront when a company appears to support an incompetent tech when in fact all they are doing is just trying to bend to the wishes of the obviously misguided customer.

I think Brodmann did perhaps drop the ball in explaining their decision to the dealer and that they could have told him that everything the dealer did was proper but in order to make peace and for good public relations they have done what the customer wanted.

Sometimes I think it may be a bit of a problem at times with a few of the Chinese manufacturers (Hailun comes to mind) with regards to their relations with their dealer support.
I suspect that something like that might have to do with a recent change in Toronto with regards to Hailun dealer support.

Possibly their pianos building skills are improving at a faster rate than their dealer relation skills.

But I'm just an outsider thinking aloud so nobody should really put much stock into my musings.

(I think Brodmann pianos are outstanding).

Last edited by Sparky McBiff; 04/11/12 12:33 PM.
I agree with both of your observations.

When a customer makes comments of a similar sort about any particular maker, many people here at PW get all over them like the proverbial cheap suit.

Dan says he is aware of even more warranty issues on Brodmann pianos. One does not usually point out stuff like that (without evidence) unless one is venting, and that sort of venting usually gets a very chilly response from the ownership here, since manufacturers have a tendency to issue warnings about liability for .... ah, misstatement.

Your explanation about Brodmann's thinking is much more likely, and much less inflammatory.

Piano*Dad, you make some very good points in your comments.

I might add, as a reminder to everyone here, we, as individuals, are responsible for what we write here on the forums, and not Piano World. This is plainly stated in the forum policies and rules.

Also, I think that the professionals here may be a little more outspoken or passionate about certain things they encounter in their daily experiences in the real world because it may affect their livelihoods or their reputations.

I too, would welcome more responses from industry professionals on the issues brought up in this thread.

In regards to the title of the thread, I’m not so sure the manufacturer has actually abandoned the dealer in this case… they simply allowed the piano owner to have their way in this particular situation in order to keep them happy.

Rick

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission