2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,434 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 112 of 540 1 2 110 111 112 113 114 539 540
M
M
I've just ordered that book, too. I'm glad so many people like it.

A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MaryAnn

I'm partway through it and it's really good - now, just need to put it into practice wink I'm skipping over the parts that are really aimed at the full time performer. And laughing about how to get an ideal practice space ... to me that's one that doesn't have my daughter complaining wink

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
This week, I have sight-read over 20 songs and all were with correct notes and rhythm. It may seem like a small step for others, but a large for me!

"Just practice diligently and you will do very well. You have five fingers on each hand just as healthy as mine."
~ J.S. Bach
M
M
Originally Posted by MaryAnn

eeee it just came. along with Edly's Music Theory for Practical People. Is it weird that I'm so excited about this?

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by RandomPianist
This week, I have sight-read over 20 songs and all were with correct notes and rhythm. It may seem like a small step for others, but a large for me!

Well done! I wonder how many other people who think they can't sight-read attempted that much new material?

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Hi again,

Farm Girl, I'm playing the Waltz in A minor posthumous. I'm enchanted with it! YOu are so right about all the things I can learn from it - It has already helped a lot with my pedal skills and I see a difference in the left-hand being able to play more softly now too. It is fun to see these unexpected developments.
I know it is a long term project, and I am bound to have a few more stumbles before I get to play it all the way through with a level of satisfaction - but it is worth the effort!

Ben - what fun you had with your niece! I've had the "auntie" experience at the piano and wow, it is so much fun. I am looking forward to it again when I next visit my family......still months away....:(

Sand Tiger, you're really doing some serious work and it sounds like (for the most part) you are really enjoying yourself. You seem to be doing a lot more theory than a lot of us are, and also composing -that's very exciting!

After all this chat about the Musician's Way, I think I'll have to check it out!

I always learn so much from this thread.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have no major achievements to announce this week. I just keep plugging along! I did rediscover the metronome as a motivational tool, though. Yesterday I found myself totally unfocussed while practicing, so I turned on the metronome. Boy, did that bring everything into sharp focus. The little push from that constant click made me pay attention. For some reason, the pressure of the metronome really cements the notes in my head, and I learn more quickly. I made good progress on some sticky sections in the K545 Rondo, and it helped to test my memorization on a couple of other pieces. Using the metronome makes scales accurate and snappy for me. I have to admit, without using the metronome to test myself now and then, I get lazy!

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Just love reading the progress you're all making and the struggles to get there. Congratulations on each step Farm Girl (welcome back), SwissMS (moving that sewing machine), Racaredo (Back is ALWAYS accomplishment), Gomer (up to speed and I'm jealous), Obidiu (hymns and sight reading good for you), SamRose (a new piano is a romantic relationship), Casinitaly (Chopin waltz will be flying one day), SandTiger (you're investing time wisely).

Such great stories...Ben Piano, yesterday I watched one of our two year olds sitting with her dad (my son) at my piano and she was enjoying it so much...that is until her mother insisted on standing next to them "policing" her actions. "no that's too hard" "just one finger at a time" "play it softly". I did add my belief that the most important thing is that she enjoy her sound making. It's an accomplishment to contradict this particular mom. It is MY piano after all. :-)

I'm working on a Chopin Polonaise and piecing the sections together. I'm hoping to get it over half speed and that will mean my left hand is more relaxed. The accomplishment is that I think it's possible.

Last edited by WiseBuff; 04/09/12 08:18 AM.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
F

Silver Supporter until Jan 02 2013
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Cheryl, that's a beautiful Waltz. This is the first Chopin piece I have ever played in my whole life. I remember I was so in love with the piece that my teacher had to calm me down. I almost cried. You know, it probably had something to do with teen age hormone. She told me to settle down and study the piece. I write something that I remember below. It helped me to calm down. I practiced the measures repeated throughout the piece everyday and later added difficult section as a warm up exercise every day. She told me to hold your horses, watch what you are doing and don't get drenched into the surge of emotion the piece seems to stimulate... Well, you may not need the anti-teenage hormone advise any more, but I will give it to you any way... in case Chopin excites something within you...

"Measure 1 through 8 repeats 4 times with a little bit of variation. That's 32 measures out of 56 measures without counting the repeat. So, you know you can play more than half of the piece if you can play the first 8 measures very well. The tricky section comes in the middle. 17 to 24, 32 to 40. Use them as your warm up everyday, little by little." It did calm me down. Hope it works for you too.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by FarmGirl
Cheryl, that's a beautiful Waltz. This is the first Chopin piece I have ever played in my whole life. I remember I was so in love with the piece that my teacher had to calm me down. I almost cried. You know, it probably had something to do with teen age hormone. She told me to settle down and study the piece. I write something that I remember below. It helped me to calm down. I practiced the measures repeated throughout the piece everyday and later added difficult section as a warm up exercise every day. She told me to hold your horses, watch what you are doing and don't get drenched into the surge of emotion the piece seems to stimulate... Well, you may not need the anti-teenage hormone advise any more, but I will give it to you any way... in case Chopin excites something within you...

"Measure 1 through 8 repeats 4 times with a little bit of variation. That's 32 measures out of 56 measures without counting the repeat. So, you know you can play more than half of the piece if you can play the first 8 measures very well. The tricky section comes in the middle. 17 to 24, 32 to 40. Use them as your warm up everyday, little by little." It did calm me down. Hope it works for you too.

Dear Farm Girl,
thank you so much for sharing that very special memory with me. (us !) ..... This is my very first Chopin too, and it has come at a time when I'm very emotional (for a lot of reasons) so.... yes, there is a bit of balance required. I can play the first 8 measures by memory, accurately - and just a little bit faster than a couple of weeks ago (sometimes even with my eyes shut smile ) For me the really tricky parts are, as you said, bars 17-24, which I had looked at by myself but had trouble with. Just this past week I worked on them with my teacher and over the weekend I feel happier with my progress. Bars 32-40 somehow don't seem as "scary" as 17-24..

Bar 21 is the "killer" for me but even that is starting to seem like it will happen.

There is something very very special about this tune - it touches emotional chords (pun intended) that somehow match with whatever mood you are in when you start to play.

I've been making little benchmark recordings to see how my progress is going - as you know it is hard to realize where you are, objectively, while you're playing.

Thanks again to you, and Jim, and everyone who is so encouraging - this is a great thread to start my day!

[Linked Image]

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I got my grand piano this morning! Pictures and an audio sample are in the piano forum
Here

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations Sam! Your piano looks terrific. I’m glad you got such a beautiful instrument.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
I got my grand piano this morning! Pictures and an audio sample are in the piano forum
Here

Congratulations! Your "baby" has a beautiful voice - may you spend many years making beautiful music together!

[Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
Yesterday afternoon I spent an hour tuning the harpsichord - for the first time - to Werckmeister III temperament. OMG. Today I've just been playing the usual pieces - especially the Purcell and Croft - and it just sounds so different! I'm loving the unequal temperament!

(I suppose I should try a meantone tuning too, for comparison. Maybe a project for next weekend.)

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
A
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A
Congrats Sam - what a beautiful piano. I haven't had a chance to listen yet. Sounds fantastic too - still very envious sick about your ability to pick up tough pieces as if they were twinkle twinkle after so little time playing! wink

Yesterday was the last day of spring break for my kids but my wife was at work - result: A full day of playing the piano smile That would be an achievement in itself but my realization was that I had almost zero pain or discomfort. The only niggle was slight shoulder pain occasionally but that's because I start slipping in posture. Fixed that and it immediately went away. I could never have played that long without discomfort a year ago. Relaxation, Alexander technique ... still a long way to go but so far, so far ...

Last edited by Andy Platt; 04/10/12 08:01 PM. Reason: Listened to the link.

• Debussy - Le Petit Nègre, L. 114
  • Haydn - Sonata in Gm, Hob. XVI/44

Kawai K3
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
F

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
F
Cheryl, after I read your post, I had to go to my piano and play the piece. It's as lovely as I remember. It's not a large work by any means but it's Chopin every bit of it. It's a crowd pleaser too. Your teacher may disagree with me but you don't need to play this piece very fast. The speed with which you can execute the toughest measure (say, it is 21 right now) should be your target speed when you start the piece. If you start too fast, you may find the measure 21 tricker than ever! From the write up in my music, I think I had a different spot I had trouble with. I hit wrong note at Measure 31 (should be B in the base). I must have mashed the notes between 33- 40, my note says "every note focus!!".

Eglantine, I am looking forward to hearing the newly tuned sound of the harpsichord.

Sam, thank you for the pic. It looks and sounds gorgeous.

Wisebuff, Polonaise, wow! I am looking forward to it. That's one of the pieces I would like to do someday. My list is growing every day.

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Eglantine, that is so neat that you are doing your own tuning. I'm trying to learn - (but at the moment I'm hosting the professional tuner, who is making my baby sing again!).

Andy that is really fantastic. I find I can play for longer too now, but I still tend to play with a significant number of short breaks - but isn't it grand to be rid of the tension and pain!

Farm Girl - my teacher is perfectly content with me playing this slowly - in fact she encourages me to go slowly! I also noted that B on page 2 - in fact I circled it and wrote B!!! smile

I'm glad that you were prompted to pull out the music and play it again - we are really sharing our experiences now! (at different ends of the spectrum, but still sharing and I'm loving it! )

[Linked Image]

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Sam, that is wonderful. I think that piano deserves you smile

Eglantine - I love harpsichords. A friend of mine tuned his in 1/6 comma meantone and we played old Scottish music as fiddle/harpsichord duets. Wow, did they sing!

PW is wonderful. It's where I've learned about relaxation and playing with ease, as Andy and cas are doing. What a difference it's made for me. Now if I can just learn to get the volume out of it that one of the other dance pianists does!

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

7000 Post Club Member
Not really an accomplishment, but...

my piano is freshly tuned and I have 90 minutes before I have to go out ...guess what I'm going to do?
smile

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Enjoy your freshly tuned Piano, Casinitaly. What a joy!

The Chopin waltz in A minor is such a beautiful piece. Have fun with it. I have added to my long backlog of pieces that I would like to play. The more pieces I learn the more I want to learn!

Page 112 of 540 1 2 110 111 112 113 114 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,193
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission