2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hi,

I'm relatively new to the piano, and just about finished with CPE Bach's Solfeggietto. I was just wondering if anyone has any pieces to suggest that are similar to this? Thanks.

Be greater than average.

Mendelssohn - Rondo Capriccioso Op.14 is such a lonely tale.
Rachmaninoff - Prelude Op.32 No.10 is the theme to my life right now.
OP Offline
I'm sure that some of you very knowledgeable pianists have something to say smile ...it'd surely be appreciated smile

Last edited by Brooke Johnson; 04/06/12 10:28 PM.

Be greater than average.

P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
I played Solfeggietto when I was a kid. Another great piece I have from that era is Rhapsodie by Maxwell Eckstein. It's available on Sheetmusicplus.com. It was billed as an advanced piano composition for small hands but I would put it in the same league as Solfeggieto. It has a high reward/effort ratio and is fun to play.

OP Offline
Thanks, PianogrlNW, I like that piece, but I was just wondering if you know of any more pieces similar to Solfeggietto that have less of an emphasis on chords? Haha, not to be rude, because don't get me wrong, I like the piece a lot; I'm just a little uncomfortable playing a bunch of chords as of now.

Be greater than average.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
In other words, you would like pieces with running lines like that one. Perhaps the second and fourth Impromptus from Op. 90 by Schubert would be up your alley. They are longer, though.

Semipro Tech
OP Offline
BDB, yes, perfect! Thank you!

Anyone else who has any more pieces to recommend on top of that would be greatly appreciated as well!

Thanks,
Brooke

Be greater than average.

P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Brooke Johnson
Thanks, PianogrlNW, I like that piece, but I was just wondering if you know of any more pieces similar to Solfeggietto that have less of an emphasis on chords?

Are you serious about knowing this piece? Because it does not emphasize chords. Just curious about your response.

W
W
Hi Brooke
How about other works by CPE Bach or his Dad? the Inventions, Peludes or fuges - all of which tend to be fairly light on chords.
Mozarts sonatas aren't big on chords and K545 and K279, to mame but two in C, have lots of runs.
Why not get a piano teacher and discuss your likes and needs with them? or if you cant afford/ dont wish to pay for a teacher, simply download some scores from IMSLP and see what you like.
I think PianogrlNW, that Brooke was saying that Solfeggietto doesn't have much emphasis on chords and they want the names of similar pieces.
Personally I find it very hard to recommend music for other people to learn. It is quite a committment (for me at least) to learn a new piece, and as far as choosing music goes it's, a bit like looking for a bottle of wine or a girlfriend - even the one's that aren't completely to your taste are often good fun to try. So just get stuck in, and if you don't like it, ditch it and move onto something else.

btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Hi Brooke,

Which of the 3 CPE Bach Solfeggiettos have you mastered?

1. H220
2. H221 in A Major
3. H222 in Eb Major

I've had a close look at H220 (1) ... which looks like a merry chase (Prestissimo) across the keys ... are you wanting to up your finger dexterity?

Kind regards, btb

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi,
I'm relatively new to the piano, and just about finished with CPE Bach's Solfeggietto. I was just wondering if anyone has any pieces to suggest that are similar to this? Thanks.

Originally Posted by BDB
In other words, you would like pieces with running lines like that one. Perhaps the second and fourth Impromptus from Op. 90 by Schubert would be up your alley. They are longer, though.

That's an awfully big jump in repertoire!

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
B
BDB Offline
B
But it does clarify what Brooke wanted.

Semipro Tech
P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by DameMyra
Hi,

Originally Posted by BDB

That's an awfully big jump in repertoire!

I agree that Schubert Impromptus require more experience to play. How about Bach Two Part Inventions?

D
D
I think that prelude 21 from wtc1 has a similar feel although it's much happier in spirit.

OP Offline
Sorry for the late reply!
Wombat66 - I can play bits and pieces of Bach's works (primarily the preludes and fugues), but can never manage to get through them. I love Solfeggietto, as it has the same kind of feel but isn't as difficult. And I've tried out Mozart before, lol, I just can't seem to get into his music. It has too much of a happy vibe for my liking. Oh, and I love IMSLP! smile

btb - The piece that I am (almost) finished with is the first one you listed, Solfeggietto H220. And yes! I just love pieces that have long runs in that particular style, if you know what I mean.

DameMyra - Well I've been playing since earily April of last year. I caught on pretty quickly, but soon stopped playing after a few months, and haven't really played the piano since. So technically I guess you could say that I'm new to it. I was moving too fast because I got way too excited with all the pieces, and began playing works that were beyond my level both technically and musically. Among these works were Beethoven's Pathetique, Chopin's Raindrop Prelude (I managed to play that rather well), and a few other pieces that I eventually became frustrated with and stopped playing. Now that I'm back, I thought that I'd maybe go a little further back while still being able to play the music of the composers that I like, you know? I'm just sorta stuck on what to play because I love Bach's style...it's sorta creepy haha, and I like it.

PianogrlNW - Yeah I was sort of thinking that too. And I do like Bach's Two-Part Inventions! I was just sort of unsure if they are good to play for my level. What do you think?

I know that this is off topic considering the music that I'm looking for, but I really like Tchaikovsky's "June - Barcarolle" from his seasons collection. What do you think about my playing that...it doesn't seem too difficult, and it's surely a lovely piece, and I'd like to try it out. But I'm just wondering if it has more depth than what I'm seeing?

Thanks, guys. And if you have any of CPE Bach's of J.S Bach's works for my level to recommmend with the same kind of feel as Solfeggietto, that'd be wonderful too! I certainly appreciate it!

Brooke

Last edited by Brooke Johnson; 04/07/12 09:20 PM.

Be greater than average.

OP Offline
Oh yeah, and how about Mendelssohn's Rondo Capriccioso Op.14?

Be greater than average.

B
BDB Offline
B
You can play any piece that you want to if your technique is good enough. You do not need anyone else's permission to learn it.

Semipro Tech
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
For the moment the OP is perfecting linking hands in a one-note scramble across the keyboard ... but hasn’t come to next hurdle ...
the ability to sight-read and play separate hands on TWO staves.

The work to fill the new adventure is likely to be framed on a one-note scramble (well, andante at the start) with hands apart.

My suggestion would be Mendelssohn’s famous Opus 38 no. 6.
going by the name of DUETTO (3 pages).

OP Offline
Thanks, btb. I definitely need to work on my sight-reading...I've never been good at that.
BDB - I wasn't necessarily looking for permission but rather an opinion smile

Be greater than average.

Some of the suggestions given thus far(Duetto, Schubert Impromtus, Rondo Capriccioso, Mozart Sonatas) are IMO significantly too advanced for someone who has just learned Solfeggietto.

double post

Last edited by pianoloverus; 04/08/12 11:58 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission