2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 221 of 370 1 2 219 220 221 222 223 369 370

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by zrtf90
Reciprocal compliments and gratitudes to all! So much music, so little time!

Ok, music lovers, the weekend's almost here. Let's get some some energy flowing!

FINALLY, I've gotten a few minutes to join in to get some more energy flowing for the weekend, Richard! I am soooo excited! Here are the Pointer Sisters!

Carl

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Absolute magic, Griffin! I love the Pointer Sisters. I set up an eight track recording studio back in the eighties for writing and recording my own songs. One of the songs I used as a case study for instrumentation was Springsteen's 'Fire' by Ruth, June and Anita.
Love it!

I have to be brief now, 'cause Rossy's back but...

Rupak, I have just been made aware of your version of Mendelssohn's Op. 30/6 played on a laptop and am in awe of you and of your achievements. I have no idea what you are now using to learn the notes, I simply cannot fathom how it can be done without standard staff notation. I am beginning to understand your illiteracy in respect of it. I am nowhere near understanding your methodology.

Some of the advice I've given you so far may not now be as clear as I might have hoped so if this is the case, do let me know and I'll find another way of expressing it.

In the meantime here's a piece of music that always humbles me and makes me weep whether I play it or listen to it though, funnily enough, for two very different reasons, as I'm sure you'll understand when you listen. It was one of the last pieces my teacher gave me before I moved to the other side of London. After a couple of weeks I seriously doubted her sanity! I've no longer any intention of completing it but I sometimes pretend!

This, everybody, is to close off what for me has been an eventful week. If it's a bit long, you can always come back to it.

Rupak, I'm NOT suggesting this as your next piece. OK? smile

Richard
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I don't get here as often as I'd like but looking over some recent posts saw Bowie's version of "Friday On My Mind" (Vanda/Young) by the Easybeats. (Bowie's over-stylised performance not as fresh and energetic as the original). This is another of theirs, "Sorry" (Wright/Young)

PS For those who might not know, George Young (Guitar, Stage Right) is the older brother of Angus and Malcolm Young of AC/DC.

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CaptainKawai
I don't get here as often as I'd like but looking over some recent posts saw Bowie's version of "Friday On My Mind" (Vanda/Young) by the Easybeats. (Bowie's over-stylised performance not as fresh and energetic as the original). This is another of theirs, "Sorry" (Wright/Young)

PS For those who might not know, George Young (Guitar, Stage Left)is the older brother of Angus and Malcolm Young of AC/DC.

Bon Scott (AC/DC, while they were recording Back in Black) died a few yards from my house. Sad story. I think we should have a monument at the end of the road.

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

R
R
Some of the advice I've given you so far may not now be as clear as I might have hoped so if this is the case, do let me know and I'll find another way of expressing it.

They're not all clear to me right now, but I'll certainly try my best to understand them. And I must do that in order to give proper respects to your kind help. I indeed feel that reading music is mandatory, otherwise it's very difficult to express the problems as well as to get the solutions! If I'm really stuck somewhere I'll surely let you know, Sir.

In the meantime here's a piece of music that always humbles me and makes me weep whether I play it or listen to it though, funnily enough, for two very different reasons, as I'm sure you'll understand when you listen.

Tons of thanks to you for such a magnificent gift. It can surely make anybody weep! I was not aware of this extraordinary piece! I only listened to Hungarian Rhapsody II, La Campanella and Liebesträume, and I listen to them almost everyday.
Rupak, I'm NOT suggesting this as your next piece. OK? smile

I know, Sir. I know quite well that I can never include in my list even the easiest (if there is any!) piece by Liszt in my whole life frown

In this context I'd like to share the following by Beethoven. It also make me cry every time I listen to it.
[video:youtube]MEEJwimREcY[/video]

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Rupak, one thing that maybe will help a lot, is if you get the sheet music for the piece you are working on, so say moonlight sonata. Then, when you are looking at the Midi, yoou can compare it with the sheet music, and you will find that the midi "notes" have a direct correlation with the sheet music, they are in fact just two different types of the same code I am sure this will help.

Also, I can pm you a link where you can download sheet music for many classical pieces such as this, for free in pdf format.
If you wish.

PPP that was a strange video, I wanted to like the lady, well I did, but I wanted to like her for her playing, its just the actual sound that the yamaha was set to was so lame, it could have been made to sound like anything massive, but was so weak.

I dont know what the balloons were for, usually when there is a lady and balloons there is sitting on them till they pop, I dont understand that particular type of "fun" so I am glad it didnt happen. lol

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project
C
C
I'm an adult beginner - total novice, in fact. It's been slow progress over my first year or so. But I made the step up to a PX330 from my 61-key. Trouble is, I sold the 61-key today, and won't get the PX until Tuesday. Oh well.

So, being a little bored during my typical after work keyboard time, I skimmed this thread.

Wow. It seems like I can just pick a page at random and find an awesome piece of music or two or more. Some of it quite familiar, some of it a new take, and some totally new. Quite the variety, too. I'd like to thank a bunch of people for a bunch of posts, and I'm not even a quarter through the thread!

So in way of thanks, I'll share too. Here's Unugaanga from Pumyua, an Inuit group based in Alaska.

HD version is at vimeo, but can't embed that. http://vimeo.com/pamyua/unugaanga

So YouTube it is:

MUSIC VIDEO (5MIN) USA DIRECTOR: PHILLIP BLANCHETT A traditional Inuit lullaby waltz lip synced by a cast of people from all walks of life. UNUGAANGA showcases a universality in cultural expression. Recorded by Alaska Inuit group PAMYUA (pronounced Bum yo-ah), UNUGAANGA features this simple, beautiful Yup'ik (Southwestern Alaska Inuit) drum-dance song. The song translates in English: 'Night time has come to me. Darkness surrounds me, but the moonlight falls on me and makes everything beautiful.' UNUGAANGA is PAMYUA's first music video.

Last edited by cheechako; 03/31/12 05:49 AM.
R
R
Originally Posted by Rostosky
Rupak, one thing that maybe will help a lot, is if you get the sheet music for the piece you are working on, so say moonlight sonata. Then, when you are looking at the Midi, yoou can compare it with the sheet music, and you will find that the midi "notes" have a direct correlation with the sheet music, they are in fact just two different types of the same code I am sure this will help.

Thanks a lot Rossy. You are quite right. In fact I've one program called 'Notation Player' which can also load midi files and convert them in sheet musics, and while it plays the midi it shows the particular notes being played highlighted on the sheet. I was always scared of sheet musics so I didn't used it. But I'll surely use it from now on.

Originally Posted by Rostosky
Also, I can pm you a link where you can download sheet music for many classical pieces such as this, for free in pdf format.
If you wish.

I'm always glad to have your pm and advice, Rossy. So, never bother about my wish smile
I usually google to get sheets. I've collected a couple of sheets including this from IMSLP, but never looked at them. I also got a music score book which came with my DP. It contains scores of many famous classical pieces, such as Fantasie Impromptu (lol).

R
R
You are most heartily welcome, cheechako! and thanks for your beautiful post. I really enjoyed that. It shows a perfect harmony and integrity in music as well as nations!
I'm sure our beloved Rossy's 'serious' thread will remove all of your boredom. Wish you long here and good luck with your piano lesson.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Rostosky has just fallen in love with Christi Haydon.

And who is Christi haydon? you may well be asking yourselfs.

well, she is the drummer on this video of the Band "sparks" who I mentioned are still going great guns.

Here is an odd and sad factoid: the original drummer for sparks was "dinky diamond" a shy and gentle dude indeed. He had the "neighbour from heck"
he could not sleep, and he and his wife had complained to the council, and were about to move house, when one day, this drummer could not take the noise anymore and hung himself in the attic, his wife found him.

Here is sparks with number one song in heaven and never turn your back on mother earth, the latter one of my favourites.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Polyphasicpianist - I'm speechless

Guitar since 1966. Piano (Kawai DP80) since 2011.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Oh this is just so old school feel good factor, again more sparks, and christi haydon, she is just so full of energy... as an aside she was also in star trek the next generation...

When I kiss you.... sparks...

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
A happy weekend to everybody. What a joyous selection today!

Wow, Rossy, I almost need a packed lunch to see my neighbours. And they're wonderful people. We don't know how well-off we are, do we? We take it all for granted.

Here's one that I can't get out of my head for days after each hearing.

Richard
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Excellent Richard, here is Debby with Shirley manson ( lead singer of garbage and as an actress plays Katherine weaver the fembot in the sarah conner chronicles "terminator")

Shirley inducted Debby into the rock n roll hall of fame....

enjoy.... "call me"

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
How could I not post no.1 crush by Garbage after that?

well I couldn't, so here it is...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi!

Fantastic postings from everybody in these last days!

I wanted to post about “fandango”, an ancient Spanish dance. Many composers wrote versions and variations on this popular dance. Probably the most popular is the “fandango” composed by Boccherini for his Quintet in D Major G448.

There are several versions on Youtube, but I’ve chosen this video because the rendition on this “fandango” is fantastic, and shows beautiful images from Goya’s paintings.

I love this music.

Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
Don't take this the wrong way but thanks for posting garbage, Rossy! smile

Is this Shirley again? Love her right foot!

'Fandastic', Recaredo, love the castanets! I was thinking about hanging some off my hat, like an Australian cork hat setup, so I could play them at the piano by shaking my head. Wha'd'ya think? Should I patent the idea? Do you think it would catch on? smile

Here's one of our old openers from my youth!

Richard
Z
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Z
<sneaks up>

<looks left>

<looks right>

<sees no-one>

<sticks another nickel in the juke box>

<tip-toes off stage left>

Richard
C
C
(Union City Blue)

I actually went to Amazon and bought Blondie Greatest Hits after that post. Parallel Lines was the only thing I still had post-vinyl. Of course, Robert Fripp has a bit to do with that:

Page 221 of 370 1 2 219 220 221 222 223 369 370

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission