2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 11 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 385 of 425 1 2 383 384 385 386 387 424 425
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Oh...one more thought.

Chopin was no Beethoven. But Beethoven was no Chopin.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm surprised anyone would have raised a question about the title, except to marvel at it.

For one thing, the question seems to assume that the title was meant in a literal way. Stop me if I'm wrong, Kathleen, but I have assumed:

-- It wasn't meant literally at all. Nobody can be "totally" devoted to anything, because we have other things to do -- except maybe to dearest loved ones.

-- Yet, it's also meant more than literally, because it's more than just "devotion," and in fact it's things that can't be captured in words.

Plus, I'm sure you never had any intention to bar people who were only partly devoted or even just a little interested, right?

So -- not literally, yet more than literally, and since you didn't really mean to exclude anyone, it's a message, not an insistence. I think it misses the mark to approach it literally and to look for any specific concrete thing that was meant.

Just my $0.02.

The title is brilliant, and poetic -- and says it all.
But nobody should try to pin it down. Nor worry about it. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yup, Fryc has to deal with the other men in my life.

I've been meaning to post a bit of Fontana. Here's my favorite piece of his so far, a very respectable mazurka. There are no audio samples available for the album I told you about, but this will give you an idea of the quality:

"a la Mazourka" from Douze Reveries, Op. 8

Elene
(maybe 85% devoted to Chopin)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Can anyone type down the best books about Chopin in the whole market? I will buy.

Thank you...

Last edited by Batuhan; 03/28/12 02:28 AM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There's nothing more useful than Eigeldinger's Chopin: Pianist and Teacher (originally Chopin vu par ses eleves-- "Chopin as Seen by His Students"). That's a must for any serious Chopinologist.

Elene

Originally Posted by Elene
....Elene
(maybe 85% devoted to Chopin)

My percentage today: about 2% -- busy with other things.
I know that means I'm not allowed on here, so I'm scooting out. ha

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
My percentage usually hovers around 10%... but these last few months (and the next few) it's shot up to 70 - 80. I'm working on a lot of Chopin these days. smile

-J

Originally Posted by beet31425
My percentage usually hovers around 10%... but these last few months (and the next few) it's shot up to 70 - 80. I'm working on a lot of Chopin these days. smile

Note to Kathleen: Would you consider changing the title to:
"Just for those at least 70-80% devoted to Chopin"? ha

BTW: Don't. smile

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Mark C.
:-) When I asked about the "totally devoted" it was meant with some humor not as a literal question. Online doesn't carry humor well for me. I like the title of the thread--it conveys a heartfelt love for Chopin but also a sense of excluding other composers in the same love. Kind of like marriage. No one takes his place and what he does with the piano is incredible. As much as I love Chopin I may not be able to play the pieces I'd like to have under my fingers. But I love to listen to others who can.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
Originally Posted by WiseBuff
:-) When I asked about the "totally devoted" it was meant with some humor not as a literal question.....

Y'know, it did pop into my head a couple of days later that you might have meant it that way. ha

And you're right about humor (as well as many other things) not necessarily carrying over online very well, probably for everyone.

That's part of whome why I laugh use all these silly faces. f
Of course they look stupid help but y'know, they help convey the tone! yawn

BTW, I don't mean you should suddenly start using these stupid things. ha
Everything after "you're right" was just a digression. sick

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
LOL Mark. The goofy faces do add some tone...they just don't work with my straight face humor. Ah....online communication...both blessing and curse. We talk about it when I teach Communication Theory. Have a fabulous day...seriously fabulous.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
I am really getting a kick out of reading the above responses. Of course and by all means this thread invites everyone to read or post. I adore Beethoven and love Schumann and really like Rachmaninoff. But I have to admit that I'm ga-ga over Chopin. He was the first to capture my heart and hasn't let go even after 6 decades.

I came up with the name on the spur of the moment; it just sort of popped into my head. Little did I realize that it would survive as long as it has. But if given the chance to change it, I wouldn't. The same thing happened when I chose my avatar name. Now I am stuck with it forever. Not a bad thing, however.

I can only play about 7% of what Chopin has written and often not very well. But I derive the most pleasure by listening to it.

Another book I would recommend highly is Chopin's Letters. Since both are primary sources, I believe you get the most accurate picture of the man. I especially like his letters. Through them he reveals every side of his personality and character.

So, as always, my gratitude to all for keeping this going. Wouldn't it be great if we could all meet - some kind of reunion, somewhere? Maybe to celebrate the 10 million mark!

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jeff Kallberg kindly reminded me where to find Bill Rodriguez's site about his ancestor Julian Fontana, which contains a bunch of PDFs of sheet music:

http://www.julianfontana.com/index.html

Woohoo! The piece I posted here yesterday is included.

(Although that will take me away from my current fascination with playing fake harpsichord music-- that is, real harpsichord music but fake harpsichord-- on my MOX8 keyboard. I am interested in that electronic stuff, although I don't know a great deal about it yet.)

Elene

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 01 2013
500 Post Club Member
Hi peeps,

There's a radio programme this week on BBC Radio 4, about Chopin, his illness and the relationship to his music. I think you can pick this up online on BBC iplayer even outside the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dttzh

Currently working on: F. Couperin - Preludes & Sweelinck - Fantasia Chromatica
J.S. Bach, Einaudi, Purcell, Froberger, Croft, Blow, Frescobaldi, Glass, Couperin
1930s upright (piano) & single manual William Foster (harpsichord)
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Eglantine
....There's a radio programme this week on BBC Radio 4, about Chopin, his illness and the relationship to his music. I think you can pick this up online on BBC iplayer even outside the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01dttzh

Yes, thanks!
That does get it!
And I was able to get a direct link for the program.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Anyone have the autograph of the Fantaisie Impromptu?

Laissez tomber les mains
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
[This is a copy of a post I just made in the Pianists Corner.]

I just stumbled on "Play It Again Swig", the weekly podcast of concert pianist Jocelyn Swigger, in which she chronicles her goal of learning the 27 etudes. (She has playing familiarity with about half of them already.)

She's articulate, honest, funny, and insightful. She talks in detail about hand position on 10/2, strategies for memorization, music theoretic insights, and many other ideas. It's a fascinating glimpse into how a pianist at that level organizes her time and energy. Highly recommended.

http://playitagainswig.com/

-Jason

J
J
Originally Posted by chopin_r_us
Anyone have the autograph of the Fantaisie Impromptu?

Yes: it is owned by the Chopin Museum in Warsaw.

FWIW the evidence from the sources suggests that the title of the piece should just be "Impromptu." (This probably counts as the musicological finding least likely to be adopted by the musical public!)

Jeff Kallberg

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Jeff Kallberg

FWIW the evidence from the sources suggests that the title of the piece should just be "Impromptu." (This probably counts as the musicological finding least likely to be adopted by the musical public!)

Jeff Kallberg

Angela Lear always refers to it as the 'Posthumous Impromptu' which I think is a useful title.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Well...I'm enjoying the Chopin in the Intro to Chopin. I can only imagine playing the etudes but one has to begin with smaller steps sometimes. I'm working on the Polonaise in G minor (written when he was 7...can you believe it) and it has many musical challenges. I especially enjoy the trio and hope to let my inner musician go and allow the music and speed to just flow...

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Page 385 of 425 1 2 383 384 385 386 387 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission