2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 29 30
Gigantoad #1870213 03/29/12 09:19 AM
A
A
Originally Posted by Gigantoad
just because someone attacked your precious V-Piano again just screams "protect investment"!

This idea came up for the second time from the same poster...

Does one really protect an investment by posting on an online forum? Somehow I have my doubts.

I have vastly more expensive investments than V-Piano and it never occurred to me I could protect them that easily. Perhaps time to go to car forums. wink

Anyway, the reason I criticized Physis is because I'm tired of "progress" in digital piano market.

It's high time to stop playing around and actually make a better DP. After two decades of sampled pianos, V-Piano was a quantum leap. Physis is-unfortunately-a variation and not a breakthrough when it comes to purely acoustic piano sound.

pv88 #1870220 03/29/12 09:30 AM
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Maybe Gary could record the first minute or so of the rhapsody on the Physis -- you know, the part before it starts getting too hairy;-) -- even that much would be an interesting thing to hear and compare to those others.

pv88 #1870232 03/29/12 09:41 AM
G
G
"Protection of investment" was my very nice way of saying fanboy. But fine, there you have it wink

V-Piano is already indistinguishable from a real acoustic, according to you. So how can anyone still make a better DP? What is this breakthrough that you expect from a new modelled piano? How can you expect quantum leaps when you already believe to have perfection as it is?

Finally there is another fully modelled piano instead of another sampled one that you dislike so much, yet you have nothing but contempt for it and dismiss it based on a handful of early demos. You don't think that's a bit off?

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Thank you for your open responses Gary.

I wasn't aware that the V-Piano uses wooden keys though...

Cheers,
James
x

Sorry, I was comparing to the V-Grand piano action....which uses wooden keys.

- Gary
Parent, Son, Sibling and Friend searching for inner peace in a chaotic world.
Currently employed by Steinway & Sons, but the opinions expressed here are my own.
Creator of "The Naked Piano" series (http://www.nakedpiano.com)
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Thank you for your reply Gary.

Do you know the architecture/vendor of the CPU? For example, is it x86 or Risc based? Intel, AMD, ARM, etc.?

Cheers,
James
x

Hi James -- more precisely we use 6 TI OMAP DSP+ARM PROCECESSOR

hope this helps!

- Gary
Currently employed by Steinway & Sons, but the opinions expressed here are my own.
Gigantoad #1870258 03/29/12 10:15 AM
A
A
"Protection of investment" was my very nice way of saying fanboy. But fine, there you have it wink

V-Piano is already indistinguishable from a real acoustic, according to you. So how can anyone still make a better DP? What is this breakthrough that you expect from a new modelled piano? How can you expect quantum leaps when you already believe to have perfection as it is?

Finally there is another fully modelled piano instead of another sampled one that you dislike so much, yet you have nothing but contempt for it and dismiss it based on a handful of early demos. You don't think that's a bit off?

1. There's always room for improvement.
And there's always room for making things worse.

2. In my rejection of Physis sound (which you for some reason refuse to accept), I am using the real data that's publicly available. Sound samples provided by Physis.

What are you basing your open-mindedness on? "It looks promising, it has 24 billion cycles per second and a bunch of onboard instruments, therefore it will sound better than it sounds right now in the audio samples, which are premature and are nothing like the final product. Nobody should express negative opinions at this point. Only good things -- or become labeled a fanboy".

A
A
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Maybe Gary could record the first minute or so of the rhapsody on the Physis -- you know, the part before it starts getting too hairy;-) -- even that much would be an interesting thing to hear and compare to those others.

Precisely.

pv88 #1870268 03/29/12 10:27 AM
G
G
I'm an optimist I guess. That and the fact that I have heard horrible V-Piano demos alongside great ones and because modelling allows to alter the sound in a lot of ways (one of the main selling points of the V-Piano by the way). So after hearing so few demos which apparently all use the same preset that is way too bright for my taste, how can I already dismiss the whole product based solely on that?

Gigantoad #1870289 03/29/12 11:00 AM
A
A
I'm an optimist I guess. That and the fact that I have heard horrible V-Piano demos alongside great ones and because modelling allows to alter the sound in a lot of ways (one of the main selling points of the V-Piano by the way). So after hearing so few demos which apparently all use the same preset that is way too bright for my taste, how can I already dismiss the whole product based solely on that?

From my experience, what you hear in first public demos is usually product pushed to the limits. I don't predict a wonder. If it happens, Physis will be the first DP or software piano manufacturer that made a sound demo that underrepresents the product.

Last edited by alekkh; 03/29/12 11:20 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoxcape
... more precisely we use 6 TI OMAP DSP+ARM PROCECESSOR

When you need raw throughput it's hard to beat an FPGA. I'd definitely look into that before I started lashing multiple processors together. Many physical model algorithms (waveguides and second order filters) can be done quite efficiently with the ALU / block ram found in most FPGAs.

alekkh #1870331 03/29/12 11:56 AM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by alekkh
From my experience, what you hear in first public demos is usually product pushed to the limits. I don't predict a wonder. If it happens, Physis will be the first DP or software piano manufacturer that made a sound demo that underrepresents the product.

I think it makes sense to, at least, acknowledge this truism.

Certainly, when they make the initial demos.... they are not just randomly throwing some settings together without regard for the sound they are generating. They want to demonstrate their product to the very best of their ability.

So, do not expect the actual product to be much better than what you hear. They have decided that those demos present their product as best it can be presented.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
dmd #1870354 03/29/12 12:17 PM
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by dmd

I think it makes sense to, at least, acknowledge this truism.

Certainly, when they make the initial demos.... they are not just randomly throwing some settings together without regard for the sound they are generating. They want to demonstrate their product to the very best of their ability.

So, do not expect the actual product to be much better than what you hear. They have decided that those demos present their product as best it can be presented.

On the contrary, early demos are sometimes done on prototypes, and further improvements can be made before the unit goes into production.

Also, in this case, we've been told that there are 32 preset pianos in it and we've heard, what, one or two of them? And you can't say "well, they surely demonstrated their best one," because these things are subjective to some extent. If everyone could agree which of the 32 was best, they could leave out 31 of them.

D
D
@pianoxcape

Thank you for the information re: the Physis piano. A good modelled piano with a 21st century user interface is a tantalising prospect if it can really deliver on sound and usability.

Can you tell us how soon will the Physis piano be in showrooms for the public to test?

A
A
If everyone could agree which of the 32 was best, they could leave out 31 of them.

Sorry for posting a trivial idea, but it is infinitely harder to make 1 very good sounding piano than 32 (or 256) usual pianos.

If Physis team somehow, by mistake, used one of the less acoustic-sounding models for the demo, then you may be onto something. Do you really believe in such a mistake ?

alekkh #1870413 03/29/12 01:48 PM
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
If Physis team somehow, by mistake, used one of the less acoustic-sounding models for the demo, then you may be onto something. Do you really believe in such a mistake ?

Gary said:

"there are 32 'preset' physical models in the Physis piano that include European, American and Asian concert models. Although not written specifically on the piano (probably due to licensing or trademarks?), the preset models reference Steinway, Bosendorfer, Bechstein, Fazioli, Yamaha, Kawai and others"

What I'm suggesting is perhaps one of the models is not as appealing to you as another might be.

I don't like Nord's Steinway and C7 samples. But I really enjoy playing their Bosendorfer sample.

Is this really so hard to understand?

Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
@pianoxcape

Thank you for the information re: the Physis piano. A good modelled piano with a 21st century user interface is a tantalising prospect if it can really deliver on sound and usability.

Can you tell us how soon will the Physis piano be in showrooms for the public to test?

I'm told that it will be commercially available this Fall - probably November or December. I'd expect it to arrive in showrooms first in Europe and soon after in the US.

Kind regards,

- Gary
Epeios #1870436 03/29/12 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Epeios

Unlike the video in the original post, they write about cakes, and not cookies, but I think the technology used for their modeled organs should be somewhat related with the one used for their modeled pianos smile !

The physis organ WEB site : http://www.physisorgans.com/

Ha! It seems Italians can never quite escape food! Personally, I like the analogy, but I like 'regular' Italian food much better than cakes and cookies smile

- Gary
A
A

Gary said:

"there are 32 'preset' physical models in the Physis piano that include European, American and Asian concert models. Although not written specifically on the piano (probably due to licensing or trademarks?), the preset models reference Steinway, Bosendorfer, Bechstein, Fazioli, Yamaha, Kawai and others"

What I'm suggesting is perhaps one of the models is not as appealing to you as another might be.

I don't like Nord's Steinway and C7 samples. But I really enjoy playing their Bosendorfer sample.

Is this really so hard to understand?

What you wrote is not hard to understand. But it isn't the topic of the discussion.

The discussion was whether Physis brings the sound closer to a real acoustic piano than its predecessors or not.

alekkh #1870457 03/29/12 02:35 PM
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
The discussion was whether Physis brings the sound closer to a real acoustic piano than its predecessors or not.

People even can disagree about which DP sound is closer to an acoustic than another, since they're all imperfect, but often in different ways. So it is certainly conceivable that someone will find one Physis model more like a "real piano" than another, and it's also possible that you won't get consensus on which one that is, that was my point.

I'd like to hear more samples of different presets, though it's all somewhat academic until production models exist.

G
G
Originally Posted by pianoxcape

I'm told that it will be commercially available this Fall - probably November or December. I'd expect it to arrive in showrooms first in Europe and soon after in the US.

Kind regards,

So this really is some kind of prototype.

Page 4 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 29 30

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission