2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
I think as machine tuning becomes more and more prevalent, it will give aural tuners a bit of a competitive edge in the market place. Not because an aural tuning is by definition superior, but it is the client's perception in some cases.

That's not the trend I'm seeing. Many times when people see me device (TuneLab or TUNIC OnlyPure) they are fascinated (Cool, that's on your phone?). They will even sometimes say, "Well, that must be much more accurate than tuning by ear." I assure them that I'm always listening but that, yes, it is very accurate. So, their "perception" is that I'm doing or using something that is superior. Now, I know it's not superior to aural tuning but why would I sit there and try to convince them otherwise?

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
I have yet to hear of a tuner not getting a tuning job because he/she was an aural tuner. The reverse is not the case.

Maybe people don't explicitly ask for an ETD tuner but many are coming to appreciate them. Example: I was asked to tune two Yamaha grands for a local business man who is also a great pianist and has a recording studio. The guy who had tuned aurally for him for years wasn't getting the job done properly. He tried to talk to him about it because he was also his friend but he didn't want to hear it, so he hired me. I used TUNIC OnlyPure on them both (by the way he watched me tune and saw the program) and he was very happy. Later on I saw his wife at the Country Club when I was tuning the piano there and she stopped me to tell me how pleased her husband was with my work and that he would be calling me again.

Another local tuner in his late 60's has lost his upper hearing and can't hear the last octave. Fortunately for him he has used an Accutuner for years and relies totally on it for those notes. An ETD can extend your career and you can still produce solid tunings even with hearing loss.

I have a customer that is a local pianist and has produced many CD's, he switched back to me after hiring the president of our local PTG chapter.

Is ETD superior to aural tuning? Of course not. I'm just giving you another perspective.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Interesting stuff! Thanks for the explanation Jeff H. I have tried tuning unison's all the way up to C-88 with it. Sometimes, it's dead on and very accurate. Other times it "ain't." It has the most difficulty with false beats. It just doesn't know which one of them to listen too.

Strange, today, speaking of false beats. I was tuning a Steinway B. Up in the treble right around G-6 or so, I started having serious false beats. Not just that But, in one string alone, I was able to count 3 separate beats! So now, we have 3 false beats in one wire??? I don't remember ever encountering that before. In the other 2 wires, each wire had 2 false beats in it. Gee. That means, 7 false beats to listen too on top of 3 normal beats. I got it in tune but, only aurally because the machine was going NUTS! So was I but, I'm already nuts!! smile Shutup you guys now, I can read minds too you know!!! smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Piano Guy #1871260 03/31/12 12:59 AM
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Piano Guy
How do you mean "almost exclusively"..sometimes by ear...or some parts of the tuning by ear.

I mean almost never use a device to check any part of my tuning. I set A440 with a fork and go from there.

[edit to add] When I first was learning my new tuning method(listening for the fundamental sweet spot vs. listening for beatless partials), I used Cleartune to check myself in the high treble to make sure my tinnitus wasn't masking what I was trying to hear.

Last edited by OperaTenor; 03/31/12 01:20 AM.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
Bob #1871265 03/31/12 01:07 AM
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Bob
We aural tuners are already sought after! One thing about unisons. They don't have to be perfect. Imperfect unisons can fatten a piano's sound - make it warmer. Not talking beating unisons. Something less than a beat. Kind of a slow swish. If every note swishes, the unisons don't stand out as imperfect to the listener. If you watch an ETD while tuning unisons, you can change the pitch of the note by how the unison is tuned.

Aha. I find that as well, although I usually just go for the "sweet spot." The "swish" tends to drive me crazy. laugh

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Wow. Thank you all for your comments. This has been very enlightening, and I feel better about my decision to stick with my "HAT."

However, what I read here about using an ETD for pitch raises sounds awfully tempting...

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
<<However, what I read here about using an ETD for pitch raises sounds awfully tempting...>>

Guilty, guilty. The darn machines are quite good at calculating the correct overpull to nail the pitch for your second pass. With the TUNELAB program operating in 'pitch raise' it actually measures EACH wire as you go, and sets the overpull required to settle the pitch correctly by averaging the last 5 notes relative 'flatness'. If it tends to put things too high or too low, as your experience shows you, then you can reach in and change the overpull percentage to suit your individual technique. How cool is that?

Just sayin',
I remain,
Swirling the whiskey,

Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff440@aol.com
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
Interesting stuff! Thanks for the explanation Jeff H. I have tried tuning unison's all the way up to C-88 with it. Sometimes, it's dead on and very accurate. Other times it "ain't." It has the most difficulty with false beats. It just doesn't know which one of them to listen too.

Strange, today, speaking of false beats. I was tuning a Steinway B. Up in the treble right around G-6 or so, I started having serious false beats. Not just that But, in one string alone, I was able to count 3 separate beats! So now, we have 3 false beats in one wire??? I don't remember ever encountering that before. In the other 2 wires, each wire had 2 false beats in it. Gee. That means, 7 false beats to listen too on top of 3 normal beats. I got it in tune but, only aurally because the machine was going NUTS! So was I but, I'm already nuts!! smile Shutup you guys now, I can read minds too you know!!! smile

Gerry,
Using an external microphone helps a lot with certain pianos in the upper octaves. My netbook mic is good for most pianos but sometime I have to use an external mic when the display is jumping all over the place from the false beats. Once the mic is being use the pointer is accurate

Wayne Walker
Walker's Piano Service
http://www.walkerpiano.ca/
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks Wayne. It's faster to just put the thing in tune by ear. smile Not I'm just being a smarty pantzzzz.... But, I guess it is true. I do enjoy using the ETD. Either way we look at it, most are in agreement that aural tuning is used with the ETD. Which you must have because, you notice how to figure it out yourself. smile

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
True that, Jerry! For me, the initial pass on a pitch raise goes faster with Tunelab, but that's because I always would end up listening too hard and trying to get it too close. My first pass through, I just shoot for getting it between the lines; takes about 15 minutes at the most to plow through it.

Fine tuning that second pass is faster by ear (for me, anyway!).

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT

Strange, today, speaking of false beats. I was tuning a Steinway B. Up in the treble right around G-6 or so, I started having serious false beats. Not just that But, in one string alone, I was able to count 3 separate beats! So now, we have 3 false beats in one wire??? I don't remember ever encountering that before. In the other 2 wires, each wire had 2 false beats in it. Gee. That means, 7 false beats to listen too on top of 3 normal beats. I got it in tune but, only aurally because the machine was going NUTS!

Jerry,

So aurally, how'd you get past the garbage.

This beating muck was defeating my ear in the treble, until I spent some serious ear taining time, learning to ignore all the beats, and rather learning to listen to the fundamental or audible pitches...uhh...like I do when being a musician.

Way more funner-er than listening to bloody beats! And my trebles have improved dramatically, both efficiency-wise and musicially-wise (new word).

I will say that the TUNIC software can listen past this garbage, and come up with really excellent unisons. I actually found the TUNIC helped me retrain my musicain's ear, as I said, to listen past the beats, up there.

Now one might say, "well then why don't you just use the software, bub"?

And I would say (to this imagined questioner), because the experience of listening way deep inside the tone is such a pleasurable experience, that it completely quiets my brain, and I experience the tuning as a meditation. It is a fully musical experience, which I really, really miss when using the software.

The software does help move things along though, no doubt about it.

Jim Ialeggio

Jim Ialeggio
www.grandpianosolutions.com
advanced soundboard and action redesigns
978 425-9026
Shirley Center, MA
R
R
Wayne, what mic are you using?

rbstewert #1871417 03/31/12 11:45 AM
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by rbstewert

nothing special, just something I pick up at the Source (old Radio Shack)for computers. The on board mic is so small, you need something a bit bigger. http://www.thesource.ca/estore/prod...gory=HeadsetsAndMics&product=2616448

Wayne Walker
Walker's Piano Service
R
R
Originally Posted by wayne walker

nothing special, just something I pick up at the Source (old Radio Shack)for computers. The on board mic is so small, you need something a bit bigger. http://www.thesource.ca/estore/prod...gory=HeadsetsAndMics&product=2616448

Which ETD do you use?

RonTuner #1871449 03/31/12 12:58 PM
P
P
In a generation or two, tuning software will be fully integrated in the toolbox, and tuners will look back to our discussions and find them strange. Maybe they will even smile a little. IMHO

rbstewert #1871483 03/31/12 02:38 PM
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wayne walker

Which ETD do you use?

Verituner

Wayne Walker
Walker's Piano Service
pianolive #1871484 03/31/12 02:40 PM
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by pianolive
In a generation or two, tuning software will be fully integrated in the toolbox, and tuners will look back to our discussions and find them strange. Maybe they will even smile a little. IMHO

in a generation or two humans will have USB port on top of their head to load the latest software

Wayne Walker
Walker's Piano Service
TunerJeff #1871495 03/31/12 03:22 PM
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by TunerJeff
<<However, what I read here about using an ETD for pitch raises sounds awfully tempting...>>

Guilty, guilty. The darn machines are quite good at calculating the correct overpull to nail the pitch for your second pass. With the TUNELAB program operating in 'pitch raise' it actually measures EACH wire as you go, and sets the overpull required to settle the pitch correctly by averaging the last 5 notes relative 'flatness'. If it tends to put things too high or too low, as your experience shows you, then you can reach in and change the overpull percentage to suit your individual technique. How cool is that?

Just sayin',
I remain,
Swirling the whiskey,

Heh. That makes me feel better about pulling the $300 trigger last night: I went ahead and bought Tunelab for my iPhone. looking forward to the next pitch raise... laugh

Loren D #1871496 03/31/12 03:24 PM
O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Loren D
True that, Jerry! For me, the initial pass on a pitch raise goes faster with Tunelab, but that's because I always would end up listening too hard and trying to get it too close. My first pass through, I just shoot for getting it between the lines; takes about 15 minutes at the most to plow through it.

Fine tuning that second pass is faster by ear (for me, anyway!).

15 minutes...

Makes me misty-eyed. wink

O
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by jim ialeggio
[quote=Jerry Groot RPT]

Jerry,

So aurally, how'd you get past the garbage.

I'm not Jerry, but I'll tell you my method. laugh After making sure the strings are seated on the bridge, I first isolate the string with the false beat - if there are more than one in a unison, I isolate each one separately - and listen to get a feel for the beat rate of the false beat. I first will pull the false beating string up and down a couple of cents to see if the beat goes away. If it does, then I leave it off that little bit and adjust my tuning around it - I prefer being off an indiscernible amount and beatless. If that doesn't work(and it rarely does), I then, one string at a time, turn the neighboring strings up or down and employ selective hearing to listen for the real beats and ignore the false ones.

Kind of tedious, but it the clearest way I can do it.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission