2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Jazz+ Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Here's a little quiz. What scales would you chose for each chord of "All Of Me" . I find all of my students and many professionals do not really realize what the most ideal scale type is for each chord in "All Of Me" :

| C maj7 | Cmaj7 | "E7" | "E7"|
| "A7" | "A7" | D-7 | D-7 |
| "E7" | "E7" | A-7 | A-7 |
| "D7" | "D7" | D-7 | "G7" |

R
R
I don't get it? What are they?

Russ
Yamaha CP5
Casio PX130
Yamaha AP Upright
B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Chromatic scale works equally well on all chords;-)

Seriously though I don't think there can be such a think as an 'ideal scale type', the scale choice is determined by factors like what extensions you include in the chord and how much tension you want to add, and many others.
I would be interested why you think many professionals are wrong about their scale choice though.

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Strange question. All of Me is a fun piece to play becuase it has a relatively simple progression, but with lots of dominant chords. I can't think of a scale that you couldn't use.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm either unhip or I just like to keep it simple, but I tend to use:

C: C major scale
E7: A major scale
A7: D major scale
Dm7: C major scale
Am7: G major scale

Of course I use tension notes, neighbor tones, etc, but I like the simple approach above.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
what you need is a hip replacement

I agree with beeboss - there is never a one-size-fits-all killer scale for jazz standards such as All of Me... However, there are useful 'framework' scales and arpeggios to understand, depending on the chord.

For example, the first chord of C (perhaps even C6)... a pentatonic scale framework could work well here with a couple of blues notes thrown in here and there.

But of course, that passes pretty quickly and you're then on to the E7, which you could consider an arpeggio of E7 with perhaps a flattened 9th F... which leads nicely on to the Am7...

Hope that helps a bit!

Writing fun and original jazzy, bluesy, soulful and latin piano sheets at OllysPianoSheets.com smile
Jazz+ Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Interesting, nobody seems to get it. Use your ears and study the masters, they are not playing simple unaltered Mixolydian scales on E7 and A7 .

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
If you are playing b9 extensions for example then regular mixolydian is not going to sound so good.

If you think by key then A harmonic minor is the closest scale for the E7 chord - like a C major scale but with the G sharpened to fit the 3rd of the chord. You could follow this same approach through the other chords but there is no reason why an altered scale wouldn't work just as well over the E7 imo, F melodic minor ascending or E diminished (1/2,1). These will all work well depending on the context.

E
E
Originally Posted by Jazz+
Interesting, nobody seems to get it. Use your ears and study the masters, they are not playing simple unaltered Mixolydian scales on E7 and A7 .

I think people do get it though. What they're saying is that there is a choice. You could use a super-locrian scale on the A7 but you could also go old-school and use a straight mixolydian. Or you could mix it up a bit. I think it's great to learn a bunch of scales, practice with them all individually until they become part of your playing, and then eventually forget them and pick the notes you want to hear. Then if you hear a recording of someone playing a certain sound and you like it, most probably you will be able to go to the piano and replicate it. I mean, it takes a long long time but that's ideal for me - rather than your 'correct answer'. It's a matter of taste.

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
For those that are curious, here's a transcription of a Sarah Vaughn solo: http://www.music.sc.edu/ea/jazz/Transcriptions/ALL%20of%20Me%20SARAH.pdf

Looks like pretty standard scales to me, albiet with quite a few enclosures and chromatic passing tones.

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
For those that are curious, here's a transcription of a Sarah Vaughn solo: http://www.music.sc.edu/ea/jazz/Transcriptions/ALL%20of%20Me%20SARAH.pdf

Looks like pretty traditional scales, albiet with a nice use of enclosures and chromatic passing tones.

Jazz+ Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Old timer Lester Young using altered scales on E7 and A7. It's such an obviously better choice than awkward sounding mixolydian. The mixolydian on E7 and A7 sound so "out of key" for a tune in C, where as the altered scales sound at home in the key of C on E7 and A7 because they are much closer to the key of C !
http://www.scribd.com/doc/55169612/Lester-Young-All-Of-Me-Sax-Solo

Jazz+ Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
"Hippest" as in what would Herbie Hancock play on the E7 A7 changes as compared to what the Lawrence Welk band would play. I have heard Herbioe play All Of Me and he played an alt every time.

I
I
imho, the improviser who plays the most interesting music over ANY changes is he who plays good melodies. I don't understand why people get so wrapped up in scales. If you know them all then your ear will provide you with good melodic material. Chet Baker could play great bop and then play totally diatonic, but he was a master at melody and phrasing.

You can play C major over the entire form of All of Me and it will work extensions, alterations, and all. If you develop the ideas, use good phrasing and time, it's a great solo.

No need to claim any one approach is superior. Again, my opinion, and I may be in the minority haha.

E
E
I agree ilion. Singable solos are awesome. Simple stuff with good time and phrasing bangs it. I think it's easier and quicker to get stuck into strange scales than it is to gain the other stuff like time and phrasing, solo structure, and melodic interesting development. That stuff takes a long time and a lot of playing and listening.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Jazz+
Here's a little quiz. What scales would you chose for each chord of "All Of Me" .

And I guess it's a trick answer? None. I wouldn't be thinking "chord = scale". That's a teaching method that allows inexperienced students to come up with a passable imitation of a jazz solo. It's great for educators because it's testable - much easier to grade a student on "are you fluent in F# mixolydian" than on "was that a good melodic solo?". But it's not a very good way to make good music.

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Exalted Wombat

But it's not a very good way to make good music.

Every note has a relationship to the chord being played, to the melody, to the notes everyone else is playing - chord/scale theory is one way to think about these relationships. Obviously if somebody just uses chord/scale theory to choose what notes to play that is not going to work very well, but on the other hand we cannot make good music by ignoring the relationships either.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It's only a matter of time before the thread becomes a scale vs chord vs ear debate. There's a good chapter on metaphors for the musician about that.

Jazz+ Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Same old arguments to avoid simply answering the question...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission