2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1863346 03/16/12 08:04 PM
36251 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I was given Ipod Touch and finally have been enjoying some music apps including the great iRealB.

Another app is this ear trainer. You can practice intervals note after note or played together.

My question is how can I practice? Sure I can sit for hours and listen to the interval and plunk my piano, etc. What I'd like to know is other ways to practice so when I use the app I can see improvement quicker?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
T
Online Content
T
A common trick for learning intervals is to find a song that starts with or contains each interval you are working on. Use that as a help when trying remember how each interval sounds.

Don't do all the intervals at once, just start with few and add more as you get better. Learning to sing the intervals can be useful too.

Last edited by torhu; 03/16/12 08:52 PM.

Roland RD-700NX // Casio PX-5S // Galaxy Vintage D
Originally Posted by torhu
A common trick for learning intervals is to find a song that starts with or contains each interval you are working on. Use that as a help when trying remember how each interval sounds.

Don't do all the intervals at once, just start with few and add more as you get better. Learning to sing the intervals can be useful too.

Agreed. However, these techniques can only get you so far. There's no substitution for sitting at a piano and figuring out how to play tunes by ear. Then do it again, starting on a different note, so that you become adept at playing in different keys. Then pick a new tune and do it all again.

Then start doing the same thing with harmonies...

And good luck. Developing a good ear is very rewarding and will pay dividends in every musical venture you undertake.

Jonathan

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You want bigger ears? Take a recording (of anything) and transcribe it to paper. After a while it gets easier and you'll wonder why you didn't do this earlier.

While technology is great, personal development in music requires heavy lifting.

I'm amused when is see those ads in Popular Science where for $14,000 you can buy a contraption that will get you in great shape for only four minutes a day. smile

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Dave Horne
You want bigger ears? Take a recording (of anything) and transcribe it to paper. After a while it gets easier and you'll wonder why you didn't do this earlier.

+1, for doing transcription work...

Can be difficult, but is rewarding.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Agree with Dave, I'll go as far as to say that anybody who can't transcribe music at least up to the level of what they can play is missing a vital aspect of music - really hearing what you are playing. To play well you must hear just as well. Transcription is proof of hearing to a fine degree - it's also usually accompanied by decent harmonic/structural/technical understanding.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission