2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, 5 invisible), 1,152 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
For me, it's a contest between Ivory II and V-Piano - the rest aren't in the same ballpark - but there seem to be some truncated upper register notes in Ivory, so the nod goes to the V.

Last edited by voxpops; 03/15/12 07:29 PM.

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Of course, the V has an advantage over all other players because the song was originally played on the V, with these settings.

A
alekkh Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by gvfarns
Of course, the V has an advantage over all other players because the song was originally played on the V, with these settings.

There's some truth to that.

For me, V-Piano and the last two software pianos are pretty good. Hard to tell what's a clear winner sound-wise.

At this point, the preference has to do a lot with hand/music connection that each piano provides. The playability of V-Piano is no comparison to P140 or Panoteq. Simply no comparison.

I have no idea how the last two software pianos feel on a very good MIDI controller. But what's good for me to learn is that V-Piano's sound per se is not bad after all wink

P
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by alekkh
At this point, the preference has to do a lot with hand/music connection that each piano provides. The playability of V-Piano is no comparison to P140 or Panoteq. Simply no comparison.

But what's good for me to learn is that V-Piano's sound per se is not bad after all wink

Hi alekkh,

By the way, did enjoy your playing of the Tchaikovsky concerto octaves (first movement) as it certainly wasn't bad at all! Nice demos...

Not only is the V-Piano's sound "not bad" but there is the feeling of complete control over every nuance when playing. Have you heard my recent recordings, here?

1) http://www.box.com/s/zq36ch5zpx0crl13lze5

2) http://www.box.com/s/es6e6kboe873zu0l2m9m

3) http://www.box.com/s/ur243tggb8gkdonr5az2

All three pieces have been presented as an example of where expression has full reign in the playing, and, the music can speak for itself.

pv88

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Which Ivory II piano are you using? (Aren't there four different ones?)

Also, can this test be repeated with some better music?
Thanks to gvfarns and Gigantoad (thanks!), we have two more hot pianos added: Galaxy Vintage D and Ivory II

you guys are the pixel peepers of music... lol

Roland FP7F
C
C
The first is V, the sound is vivid and dynamic. The second is Pianoteq because the dynamic is very bad, sounds like all notes are on the same volume level. The third is P140, apparently lack of string resonance, especially compare to the first two.

B
B
Ivory's Steinway sounds very close timber-wise to the V-Piano, that extra umpf to the sound, especially on the forte notes, but you can hear it throughout. The Vintage D on the other hand is more mellow, but I like that. And you said you added reverb to the P140?! It still couldn't hide the short samples. Oddly enough, it sounded more convincing that Pianoteq to me, though both have their shortcomings.

But I agree, we should have another comparison of with a piece played by someone at a professional level and with a lot more nuances - from p to f, staccato, legato, pedal, etc. I wonder if we could revive the "DP midi playback comparison" thread to add the V-Piano in the mix.

old Gaveau upright & Kawai CA63; previously Korg SP250
K
K
These types of threads are always fun to be a part of.

Roland V-Piano, Yamaha CLP990, Yamaha S90
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I think the Vintage D is nicest, the most "real" sounding, but is a bit dry. The reverb does improve the P140, but it's still not good. Whilst tonally I would say Ivory II is more realistic than V-Piano I didn't prefer it to the V-Piano. Ivory was quite bright, maybe a bit too bright. V-Piano is ok on this and wipes the floor with PianoTeq. But there is no light and dark in this piece so it might flatter some pianos and condemn others.

G
G
Why don't we all record the whole piece? I don't think that this staccato part is very ideal to hear the whole range of sound. Here's the whole thing in Ivory II Steinway:

http://www.box.com/s/de7a69c4373d959fe3dc

Here's the midi used: http://netcpp.com/VPianoPQP140_comparison.mid

MP3 encoded with 192khz. Just post your links to box, we don't need to put this in a compressed video right? Or should we make another thread?

M
M
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

What do you mean? Country? Punk?

Yamaha C3 | CP88 | CP4 | P-121 | Sauter Upright
A
alekkh Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Which Ivory II piano are you using? (Aren't there four different ones?)

Thanks to gvfarns and Gigantoad (thanks!), we have two more hot pianos added: Galaxy Vintage D and Ivory II

You are welcome to do it.

BTW, I think that making the pieces longer and adding more music will create clutter. The character of each piano is way obvious already.

If you want to know each of the pianos yet better, proper next step would be playing these pianos yourself. Audio demos never get one far enough to actually invest in a particular piano, if the intent is playing and not just recording MIDI.

D
D
In reverse order:

Yamaha
Vintage D
Pianoteq
Ivory II
V-Piano

On that showing the Yamaha and Vintage D would be completely out of the picture for me. The Yamaha was too one dimensional and there was something about both the woolly bass and "clucky" hammer sound in Vintage D that was really annoying. I couldn't live with that.

Pianoteq handled the subtle dynamics really well but that (default?) tone was not at all convincing, particularly in the bass. Being modelled, of course spending time tweaking it could pay dividends.

Ivory II was impressive. I could live with that. The treble had a very good bright tone but the envelope was a little clipped. For me the sound lacked a little weight in the mid and lower registers and would need EQ.

V-Piano is the clear winner for me.

A
alekkh Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by cosun
The first is V, the sound is vivid and dynamic. The second is Pianoteq because the dynamic is very bad, sounds like all notes are on the same volume level. The third is P140, apparently lack of string resonance, especially compare to the first two.

Kudos to you, nobody commented on that one yet. Pianoteq stands out as the most non-dynamic piano. Which was most obvious during recording.

A
alekkh Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by Bogs
And you said you added reverb to the P140?! It still couldn't hide the short samples. Oddly enough, it sounded more convincing that Pianoteq to me, though both have their shortcomings.

I would go even further and say after owning P140 for a while that it most decidedly wins over Pianoteq. "Short samples" are probably just overly fast "no-pedal decay time" relative to other pianos. Yamaha likes it that way for some reason. P140 is not that bad folks.

G
G
The V-Piano recording has a lot of reverb though, surely I'm not the only one to notice it? Too much reverb colors the sound and also somewhat connects these staccato notes. I think we should keep the reverb down in future comparisons. Unless we're comparing reverbs.

It's fun though, much better than everyone yapping at each other about what sounds good or not smile

Originally Posted by Manolios
What do you mean? Country? Punk?
Punk? NO! I said better music, not worse noise. smile

Country? Not my first choice, but acceptable.

Even some old night club standard would be useful.

But a classical piece would be best ... one that shows off some air and some dynamics and some thickness.

Originally Posted by DazedAndConfused
There was something about both the woolly bass and "clucky" hammer sound in Vintage D that was really annoying. I couldn't live with that.
Just turn down the knobs on the noises. Gone.
There are four: hammer noise, damper noise, pedal noise, and string noise.
I don't like any of them, so I mute them.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Great compilation, very interesting. But don't you think that the double octave creates a very specific harmonic combination? Single notes, and some other chord combinations would show off the differences better - and some much longer note times to demonstrate decay characteristics.

And also, recording all the samples dry would surely be fairer: using reverb is like holding a wine tasting with Coke added to the Premier Cru Bordeaux.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission