2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
So, the title of this thread is asking for non-members perception of the PTG. (emphasis mine)

Several have done that and then it appears that the 2nd, unspoken part of that is that the members then tell us why we're wrong and actually paranoid in some cases.

Looks like a typical adversary discussion to me. Too bad.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I agree. This thread seems to now be somewhat suspicious. First there is the invitation to non-members to offer their perception of the PTG.
The first page of this thread was fine.

Then the accusations begin to fly….. and non-members are instructed as to what their perception should be or they are paranoid, wrong, incorrect or whatever……PTG is not a money grab etc etc…..

A kind of veiled way to get this forum talking about the PTG continuously.

I have always had a lot to speak on with this organization but again it is not the PTG itself

BUT SOME OF THE MEMBERS WHO ARE PROBLEMATIC.

Anyone getting the idea?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I would never belong to an organization that would have ME as a member! laugh laugh laugh

But really, Dan, I agree. It is almost like there are two PTGs. The one that the members wish it was like and the one that, well, is what it is.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Any group suffers from members who have their wishes Jeff.

People have to remember that membership is voluntary. If one voluntarily signs up to give their autonomy to another party they can hardly complain about the rules set in place for the group.

The response will always be: the rules are for the betterment of the group.

Roger correctly points out this thread is for non-member perceptions of the PTG. It is not a thread about protecting the virtues of the PTG and offering rebuttal of non-member perceptions.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, you guys are 100 % right. I agree with your perception of what is taking place. That's why I specifically asked for and will do so again that ALL RPT's PLEASE REFRAIN YOURSELVES from defending the PTG. Just sit, be quite and listen. DO NOT defend the PTG's position. This is not what this thread is all about....

Thanks,
Jer

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Thank you Jerry. That's exactly why I stopped posting. I was wondering if someone was going to get around to the original post and who was invited to comment.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Would the RPTs please STOP posting about NOT posting! laugh

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
crazy

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for keeping the thread on track folks!

I'm glad this is not degenerating into a "us vs. them" forum. I agree that it was inappropriate to start accusing people of paranoia and fear in regards to taking exams. That really has nothing to do with this topic, and we shouldn't go there.

My intent in starting this was sincere. I've been thinking a lot about the PTG this past year and am questioning the direction it is currently heading and wondering what direction it will head in the future. Hearing non-members perceptions is really interesting and useful.

Maybe another interesting question to add to the mix is this:

What would your ideal piano technician organization look like?

Thanks for posting!

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
"What would your ideal piano technician organization look like?" Ryan Sowers

For me, it would look a lot like this forum. Piano World has done a marvelous job here. The dues are just right, and there are no meetings! Our competence is judged by our clientele. Did I mention no meetings? YAY!!!

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
What David said!

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Jerry Groot RPT
Yes, you guys are 100 % right. I agree with your perception of what is taking place. That's why I specifically asked for and will do so again that ALL RPT's PLEASE REFRAIN YOURSELVES from defending the PTG. Just sit, be quite and listen. DO NOT defend the PTG's position. This is not what this thread is all about....

Thanks,
Jer

OK, I will, at least for a while until it simmers down.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
I think for a lot of us (certainly not all) what David just said is the bottom line. We're not into meetings, status, politics or maybe not even very social. We enjoy what we do and want to continue to improve but don't want to be pushed. We like going at our own pace and doing things our way. That's one of the main reasons I'm in this business. Therefore, to be a part of an organization - any organization - is almost counter-productive for us.

Just a side note: There are, of course, other professions that have guilds or associations. My brother has been a dentist for about 30 years and has never joined the ADA. He's just never seen the need.

I guess what I'm saying is, the PTG couldn't change enough to be right for everyone. There are some who wouldn't join no matter what. Not because they're angry or upset, but it just isn't their thing.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
I have a tangential question to toss out here for Bill Bremmer and any other RPT who's an experienced examiner: I have had drug-induced tinnitus since 1992, and until four years ago thought I'd never tune another piano as long as I lived. I got to know Ron Koval via these piano forums, and he taught me how to tune by listening for the sweet spot in the fundamental pitch, because I can't listen to partials anymore. I can now tune completely aurally - as a matter of fact, I think can tune better now than before. I tune for a lot of professionals and they are all impressed with my work.

Does my different method of tuning handicap me for taking the RPT exam?

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I would be glad to answer your question, OperaTenor. I have a touch of tinnitus too that comes and goes but it has no pitch to it, thankfully. Just that "crickets in Summer" kind of sound after I have been exposed to long periods of sound of any kind. Some quiet for a while generally relieves it.

Regardless of that, however, I must say that I have never been one to focus on partials to hear beats. It is what some say they do and what some suggest to those who have trouble perceiving beats. I, however, play an interval of any kind and either hear a beat or not.

The late Virgil Smith, RPT who was widely known and renowned for his ability and as a teacher of piano tuning, discouraged the focusing on partials. He taught that one should listen to the "whole sound".

I hope those comments are helpful to you.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison WI USA
www.billbremmer.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
With all due respect to V.S., countless technicians have been taught to tune by similar exemplary tuners/teachers with beat counting and listening to partials being the very foundation of the learning path. At the school I attended, we had a pair of huge tuning forks outside the tuning rooms which beat out the theoretical F3-A3 beat rate and we would strike them with a mallet before entering the rooms to practice and burn that beat rate into our heads (as a rough guideline). Simply getting in the ball park of what that initial F3-A4 beat rate was counter productive in comparison to the little time spent learning what that beat rate actually was and getting as close as possible to it. It generally gets adjusted a little bit anyways, after we determine the rest of the temperament, but adjusting it as little as possible cuts down a lot of backtracking work.

I honestly think that if a person does not have a reasonably good understanting of what 1 bps is, they have no business talking about anything to do with beat rates period. Can you expect a person to maintain the speed limit with their car if they never seen or understood what a speedometer is?

I have also heard from countless techs, read in articles and hear for myself that once a beat rate approaches 10-11 bps or higher, its distinctive qualities begins to take on the appearance of "souring" rather than any useful comparative beat rate... topping off or including an F3-F4 temperament's CM3's with an F4-A4 M3rd (as often suggested) is a useless waste of time for most people IMHO.

The CM3's are simply another tool we have at our disposal for tuning, if needed. It can help some people, and others who have difficulty with rapid beat rates find out that its just a different hurdle to clear with its own challenges.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Emmery:

I agree that the F4-A4 M3 is beating awfully fast to be of much use. But by including A4, that gives you the F3-A4 M10, and when compared to the F3-A3 M3 it is very valuable. Well, I find it valuable along with the other, lower M10s in a D3-A4 temperament. It can really separate "the bone from the marrow" on small pianos.

[Edit:] But really we are getting off-track. There is another, ongoing Topic about this.

Last edited by UnrightTooner; 03/15/12 09:59 AM.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rysowers
…..

What would your ideal piano technician organization look like?

Thanks for posting!

I got this from the PTG website:

”The mission of the Piano Technicians Guild is to promote the highest possible standards of piano service by providing members with opportunities for professional development, by recognizing technical competence through examinations and by advancing the interests of its members.”

To me the problem is that the focus is on servicing the pianos and serving the members rather than providing service to the customer.

How well are the vast majority of piano customers, which have a middle aged spinet or console or old upright, served by this mission? I would say poorly. Terms like “highest possible standards”, “technical competence through examinations” and “advancing interests of its members” bring visions of concert grands and long tailed coats, not of grade schoolers on a hand-me-down piano that were moved by an uncle in the back of a pick-up (gasp!), or musty rusty old uprights in church basements (you are smarter than a 5th grader if you can spell hantavirus) that are a vital part of people’s worship. The fine folks that are looking to improve such a pianos, so the grade schooler will not be discouraged or the old folks can enjoy their worship, can be turned off by the attitude such a mission statement generates. They will see hard earned money flying out the window for a type of service that they are not interested in and cannot afford.

And from what I see on this Forum, I think the PTG is holding true to its stated mission. Just consider the general attitude toward small, middle-aged or old neglected upright pianos: not worth the time, not worth the money, and by inference neither is the grade schooler or the worshiper!

So my “ideal piano technician organization” would be geared toward serving all CUSTOMERS in the way that THEY need for THEIR benefit. And this would include wonderful things for the members like learning, proving and promoting. But the idea of “the highest possible standards” would be replaced with the “best possible service”.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Why did the tinnitus question get put in here? Please start another thread.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
So my “ideal piano technician organization” would be geared toward serving all CUSTOMERS in the way that THEY need for THEIR benefit. And this would include wonderful things for the members like learning, proving and promoting. But the idea of “the highest possible standards” would be replaced with the “best possible service”.

Really terrific point, Jeff! The client's needs should always be #1.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission