2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
But why would I WANT Notation Composer, when I have Sibelius?

If I really really wanted to listen to the MIDI, my Mac informs me I could download QuickTime 7 to listen to it. A telling detail: the current version of Quicktime is 10. Apparently Steve Jobs put an end to playing MIDI files in his browsers long before he died.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
M
M
Originally Posted by tangleweeds

But why would I WANT Notation Composer, when I have Sibelius?

Since I have not recommended Notation Composer to you to begin with, why are you even asking me this question?

D
Dazzie2 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I am not very good when it comes to technology and the internet but I find it very interesting reading , secondly I recorded in midi because that’s all my piano allows me to record in , I would have put it on “ you tube” but that wont let me upload midi so the only way would be to convert or buy something that will convert midi to mp3, well at this point in time I don’t see the point I only put my recording up for fun if people want to listen to it or not >

M
M

Dazzie, you did a very good job with that arrangement. I will listen to everything which you put up in MIDI.

Last edited by Mike Mandaville; 03/13/12 07:09 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Dazzie, I downloaded your file and listened. No problem, heck it's only 6.7KB, downloads in a couple of seconds.

I can't understand why anyone would have a problem with that.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I don't understand why it is so hard.
Just click on the MIDI file, and when the dialog box appears, select 'Open' and the file should play automatically in Windows Media Player (PC users only).

Rob
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mike Mandaville
Originally Posted by Rostosky

Hang on Mike, your missing the point a tad dude

If I was missing something, you would have no trouble at all demonstrating that such is the case.

are you seriously suggesting I download a thirty day free trial of notation composer, and also download a midi file of someones music, and then have two extra things on my desktop I dont really want?

Okay, let's review:

If I had found a way to play rather than download, I would have.

I showed you how to play, rather than download.

I allready work in Abelton and reason, playing a midi file is not a problem.

It obviously is a problm, or you would not be repeatedly complaining about not being able to open a MIDI file without downloading it.

It would be easier if folk stick there midi file into a simple program that has reasonable piano software and export it to youtube as a wav or mp3 or mp4?

The answer to this question is no, it would not be easier.

So to recap, instead of one person taking the extra step, ALL the folk who want to listen have to navigate away from Pianoworld and figure that there is a way of just listening rather than downloading?

Instead of just clicking "play" right here in the thread, as a youtube video allows you to.

And as for my ability to demonstrate this is the case, I think if you check RST you may find that I have demonstrated the ease of listening to music posted in a thread directly on many occasions,
as have many others, and I have personally helped folk to do just that, it really isn't rocket science.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew
which in sleep has fallen on you. Ye are many,they are few. Shelley

Founder and creator ofRostoskys 13th crystal skull project

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
My apologies to everyone for continuing this AWESOME THREAD, but now I'm intrigued...

Rostosky, do you have a Mac? I'm wondering if the issue here is that Quicktime (which functions as Windows Media Player for Macs) quit supporting MIDI files several years ago.

Steve Jobs was notorious for arbitrarily deciding that he didn't like a certain technology and then removing it. For example, Macs quit having floppy drives a couple years before everyone else did.

ETA: I also have a Mac, thus I also find MIDIs nuisancey.

Last edited by tangleweeds; 03/13/12 02:48 PM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not true. Macs still play .mid (midi files) in Quicktime Player in Leopard 10.5.x
In Snow leopard 10.6.x one needs to install QuickTime Player 7.6.6, its on the Install Disk.
For Lion OS X 10.7.x there's a separate install of Quicktime Player 7.6.6 on the Apple website.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hya tangleweeds, No, I am running win7 not a mac.
Thing is I am very carefull about where and what I download full stop, and having to check out can I trust a site first is a pain!

However, my point was really that its easier to just click "play" on a thread like this say:

Than to navigate away, decide if you want to download ( or not if it is playable there now)

and then clear from the desktop or download folder as you say.

Dazzie2, dont worry, just like your original link, only those who come here to find the link can listen, this is NOT public on youtube !!!

Also, I am sure you will want to let us listen to more of your music in the future, so if you want to know how to post it here like I have done say, just PM me and I can walk you through it..

Like I said in the first place " it was just an Idea"

Last edited by Rostosky; 03/13/12 03:50 PM.

Rise like lions after slumber,in unvanquishable number. Shake your chains to earth like dew

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Dazzie2, dont worry, just like your original link, only those who come here to find the link can listen, this is NOT public on youtube !!!

Also, I am sure you will want to let us listen to more of your music in the future, so if you want to know how to post it here like I have done say, just PM me and I can walk you through it..

Like I said in the first place " it was just an Idea"

Did you not see his previous post where he explained? He doesn't have the software to convert midi to mp 3and youtube will not host midi files.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
The software is gettable free SJoe. See previous post for the word "IF" "if you would like to know how to do it" a thought for the future, an offer of a free walkthrough. Optional. just an idea.
To be taken or left. etc. Awesome, as has also been said. lol.

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Re Quicktime:
So installing Quicktime 7 on top of the current installation of Quicktime 10 doesn't mess things up? When I tried to play the MIDI my Mac offered to install Quicktime 7.whatever but I abstained, having had problems in the past as a result of "downgrading".

Rostosky, I do still entirely agree with your bout not wanting to download indiscriminately, though for me it's really a housekeeping issue. I always forget to throw such items away after listening, so my downloads folder soon gets clogged with all sorts of opaquely-named files, and clearing it out becomes a long slog of viewing/listening to each one to figure out wtf it is and whether I want to keep it.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I totally understand Tangle weeds, my point was that I genuuinly believe Dazzie2 would get many MORE views having it directly on the thread, so folk could just click and play.
I was basing this of previous conversations, posts, pms where folk have said they are put off if taken to a download OR, what they think is a download..

I was hoping to increase the amount of views.

I also have a pc full of extraneous stuff if I am not carefull!!! lol.

M
M

So to recap, instead of one person taking the extra step, ALL the folk who want to listen have to navigate away from Pianoworld and figure that there is a way of just listening rather than downloading?

Clicking on a link has never caused me any inconvenience, nor have I ever had any problem opening a MIDI file without downloading it.

Instead of just clicking "play" right here in the thread, as a youtube video allows you to.

Instead of just clicking "play" right here in the thread, as a youtube video allows you to do.

And as for my ability to demonstrate this is the case, I think if you check RST you may find that I have demonstrated the ease of listening to music posted in a thread directly on many occasions,
as have many others, and I have personally helped folk to do just that, it really isn't rocket science.

Your ability to facilitate "ease of listening" does not concern me in the least. It is your ability to ignore information which is contained in MIDI files which concerns me, and it concerns me very much.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

Instead of just clicking "play" right here in the thread, as a youtube video allows you to do.

49 posts and you appoint yourself ABF grammer policeman?

There are rules for ending sentences on a preposition, I followed them.

"This is the kind of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put"
(Attributed to Winston Churchill)

Your ability to facilitate "ease of listening" does not concern me in the least. It is your ability to ignore information which is contained in MIDI files which concerns me, and it concerns me very much.

If I was you, I would be much more concerned about early retirement from the grammer police on mental health grounds.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So after all that, does anyone have anything to say about Dazzie2's performance?

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You could say something about it.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hopefully the attempted "awesome" will get him more views!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rocket88
You could say something about it.

Dazzie2, you have been playing for five months and learned that by ear no less. Based on that, I'd say, your performance was excellent. You are definitely well on your way to becoming an wonderful pianist. thumb

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission