2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
i really want a baby grand and did find a good (for me) deal on a Kawai GE-20.. the problem however is that I really don't have the space. i mean - I can squeeze it in, but it will not be nice.. otherwise I do play quite a bit and even the baby grands have better and more responsive action than any upright I've tested so far. of course - just my subjective opinion.

I tried the Wendl (in Europe it's marketed as Feurich), but I honestly don't like how they sound. and it might be just me, but I haven't found one Chinese/Korean piano that sounds anything worth the money (that includes Wendl, Essex, etc.)

I also tried some new Seilers and Grotrians and wasn't quite impressed, given the price difference between them and a Kawai upright - I really did expect more from those quite famous brands.

but i more and more get convinced that it really gets down to the dealers - in many cases they don't even bother properly tuning and voicing the pianos (even the Seiler wasn't tuned!).. and this is smth I'll never understand - what's the point of having all these pianos on stock if they are not in their best shape?

that's why i will try getting some good service deal with the Danish official Kawai dealer (that includes tuning, voicing and adjusting the touch as part of prep) and if they agree to make the piano as I'd like it to be, I'll order a K6 without even having it heard.

damn, why should it be so complicated to buy a piano? increasing my budget 10 times didn't make the decision making any easier smirk

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by minimalistic

damn, why should it be so complicated to buy a piano? increasing my budget 10 times didn't make the decision making any easier smirk

Tell me about it.
It was MUCH easier for me to buy my house than buy my piano if you can believe it.
And I still think I bought too early and should have shopped a bit more (although I love my Hailun).

M
M
I would be scared to buy an instrument that I have never even heard.

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
I wouldn't buy a piano without trying it first, but Kawai with the 10-year transferable warranty (at least in the USA) and their usual good service reputation should mitigate some of that risk.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Monaco
I would be scared to buy an instrument that I have never even heard.

We all are. However, there are times when it's usually unavoidable--it's called special orders. This generally happens when a person wants a special finish (e.g., mahogany instead of polished black) or when the order is for something else not likely to appear on the floor of the dealership (like a silent piano in America, as I had to special order). Depending primarily on the brand, but also the dealer (in terms of prep work) the risk can vary from surprisingly small (Kawai or Yamaha from a reputable dealer) or remarkably large.

Thus, even with the seemingly straight forward advice, "never buy a piano--even new--that you haven't played," it's not always a slam dunk and there are times when this reasonable dictum needs to be ignored and even times when it can be ignored with a modicum of safety. There are other times--most other times--when I think it shouldn't be ignored.

M
OP Offline
M
Well.. it turns out that the local Kawai dealer in Denmark doesn't have K6/8 at all on stock in the country. so I was told that if I want, I can order a K6 which they'll import from Japan, and until it's here (estimated to be somewhere in August) I'll have a temporary K5.. Ah yeah, and the K5 is of course in another city, so I'll need to pay to get it over for this period.

I tried an Irmler P132 today which was advertised as built-in-Germany piano with Renner action, which after I got home turned out that it's preassembled in China and hammers + tuning added in Germany.. I personally didn't find the action too responsive on this one smirk

Besides most dealers here don't have the pianos in their showrooms even tuned! I'm honestly shocked - how can you keep something on stock, hoping for someone to like it and buy it, if it's not even tuned?!

I think I'll soon go crazy and probably rent a van and drive over to Germany to some _decent_ dealer there that has good and tuned pianos on stock..

Aaaaaaaaaaarrrgghghghgh frown

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission