2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1860014 03/11/12 05:16 PM
J
OP Offline
J
A friend offered me to play piano at her restaurant, but most of the pieces I know are show/performance pieces (aka loud and exciting). I know a few Chopin preludes, but do any of you have recommendations (just from knowledge or from experience) for pieces that would be work in such a situation - preferably piece that aren't too difficult to learn in a week or so?

Chopin, Brahms, Schubert, Rachmaninov
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Satie comes to mind immediately! A few well known works of Bach might also do the trick (the C major prelude comes to mind). The usual 'fur elise' and perhaps a few other works...

Then perhaps some transcription of jazz pieces? Or some tangos to go along?

Perhaps it would be worth posting in the non classical forum, since while you have in mind classical music, a restaurant is not always fit for 'heavy classical music'.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think you should play your usual pieces but softer. grin
I've been in situations like that, and it's sort of what I did. I mainly played softer/lighter repertoire, but did do some "loud/exciting" pieces, only quieter and mellower.

Unless you're very comfortable with learning new stuff to play in public in just a week, which wouldn't seem like a great idea for most people.

P.S. Look for some people to have fun with the linguistics of "piano for dinner." ha

J
OP Offline
J
Mark_C: yeah, I'm considering it, but Rachmaninov's Prelude No. 2 just won't sound so great with the 4-stave part played at p. laugh I'll keep looking through older stuff I've played - I'm jumping on this mainly since it's such a great opportunity to practice in front of people, even if they're not really paying attention all the time.

D
D
Schubert impromptus or moments musicaux would be nice for dinner. Softly.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I play for a Sunday brunch every once in awhile, and the hotel management pretty much said 'play whatever you want', which was nice. I tend to play a mix of big band favorites, movie themes, classic stuff like the Beatles, Billy Joel, Simon and Garfunkel, etc, plus some well-known or 'easy listening' classical music.

Some examples of classical music I've used are Moonlight sonata, the slow movement from the Pathétique, Mendelssohn songs without words, Chopin preludes and nocturnes, Field nocturnes, Schubert moments musicaux, Schumann's Kinderzenen and some Bach preludes (I decided the fugues might cause indigestion lol).

As long as you think "background music" and not "concert performance", you should be fine.

Enjoy! I love restaurant gigs, because it's like getting paid for fooling around on the piano wink.

Originally Posted by JesseOffy
Mark_C: yeah, I'm considering it, but Rachmaninov's Prelude No. 2 just won't sound so great with the 4-stave part played at p. laugh

Sure it will!!
IMO that's a fine piece to play for this, and a very OK way to do it.

....even if they're not really paying attention all the time.

Right -- be ready for them to be seeming to pay almost no attention. And it's no reflection on you.

For me that was the hardest part about such things: the idea that it seemed to hardly matter.
It does, but not in the way we usually would like.

For that reason, I both loved and hated such gigs. smile

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks LadyChen. I love "fooling around on the piano." laugh
Getting a good amount of sheet music from your suggestions and IMSLP. Should suffice for a Sunday afternoon sight-reading session.
Edit - thanks for the heads up, Mark. Just a speculation, but wouldn't it make the playing easier if you feel nobody is watching/caring about it?

Last edited by JesseOffy; 03/11/12 05:55 PM.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Piano for dinner? Nah, too much fiber, and the strings get caught in my teeth...

(sorry)

Originally Posted by JesseOffy
....wouldn't it make the playing easier if you feel nobody is watching/caring about it?

Sort of, yes.
Spiritually, maybe not. smile

I think it takes some getting used to.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The genre is music to be ignored by. smile

I look at as practice time.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by LadyChen
Some examples of classical music I've used are Moonlight sonata, the slow movement from the Pathétique, Mendelssohn songs without words, Chopin preludes and nocturnes, Field nocturnes, Schubert moments musicaux, Schumann's Kinderzenen and some Bach preludes (I decided the fugues might cause indigestion lol).

Perfect (although I'd throw in a fugue or two just for the sheer fun of it......) grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
There is a ton of classical easy-listening music by some of the less well-known Romantics like Kirchner, Heller, and probably Rhineberger. And some early Scriabin might be nice, as well as much of Liadov. Chaminade has some useable stuff, like the old drawing-room classic, Scarf Dance.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Forlane from Le Tombeau de Couperin (Ravel). laugh laugh laugh

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Be prepared, also, to play some popular standards, and don't be surprised if a customer asks : "Play 'Misty' for me!" "Do you know 'Memory' from Cats?" or "Can't you play some jazz?"

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Originally Posted by BruceD
Be prepared, also, to play some popular standards, and don't be surprised if a customer asks : "Play 'Misty' for me!" "Do you know 'Memory' from Cats?" or "Can't you play some jazz?"

.....and also be prepared to say (if necessary), "Sorry, that's not the kind of stuff I play" -- with a smile of course. grin

When I did my few gigs of that sort, I had to say this a fair amount. Sometimes I was able to say, "No, but how about if I play [so-and-so]" if I could play some other thing, even something classical, that was sort of along the same lines of what the person asked for -- and that's better than just saying no. (Somewhat.) smile
But the main thing is to say it pleasantly and with interest in what the person asked (even if feigned). ha
If you can do that, it's all good.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Mark_C

When I did my few gigs of that sort, I had to say this a fair amount. Sometimes I was able to say, "No, but how about if I play [so-and-so]" if I could play some other thing, even something classical, that was sort of along the same lines of what the person asked for -- and that's better than just saying no.

Yes -- this is a great response -- it's what all my jazz mentors told me to do in this situation.

Add "Moon River" to the frequently-requested-songs-that-you-hate-playing list.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A friend offered me to play piano at her restaurant, but most of the pieces I know are show/performance pieces (aka loud and exciting).

What exactly does this mean? You're being paid to perform or because your friend has a piano at her restaurant, it would be great if you would play ... for free?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
For in-fill “munchies” music (what a ghastly expression) while the honoured guests are slopping their soup ... I’d enjoy myself at the jolly Olde Piano playing George Gershwin, Jerome Kern and Cole Porter ... any classical stuff would get stuck in the craw.

I can only hope that one of those moneyed slurp-ers finds a fly in his soup.

My son occasionally plays at a local restaurant that has one seating per night, and a half hour of wine/music beforehand. Grieg's Lyric Pieces offers a set of easily learned stuff that is perfectly appropriate for cocktail time before the seating. Most of them can be learned in a day or less. Heck, if you're good, they're sight reading material.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission