2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, David B, 8 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
I know, this may seem like in inflammatory subject, but its one that has been on my mind lately.

I'm curious to know how the non PTG technicians perceive the guild. My goal is not to defend PTG but to just get a sense of others thoughts and feelings.

I encourage participants to be honest yet reasonably diplomatic and respectful with their comments.

Thanks for posting!

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
After many years of experience, my perception is that the PTG is an organization of people who choose to get together to support each other working on pianos. It does not indicate to me that they are necessarily any better than others who choose not to join a group.

In my network technology life, there were users groups that I feel were for the same purpose. These people were/are not necessarily the best or worst in the industry.

I rely on recommendations and personal experience for my perceptions.

Having said that, if I were in a brand new geographic area, the PTG would be a good place to start looking for qualified people until I gathered some independent experience.

You asked for personal perceptions, this is mine.

Laugh More
Yamaha G7 - Roland FP7 - Roland FP80
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I let my membership lapse because I wasn't able to attend chapter meetings. The dues then amounted to a very expensive magazine subscription.

I was considering rejoining until I was told that I would have to redo the RPT exam because the home office lost all the records.

I was disappointed and saddened to hear this because I was part of one of the first groups (a test group) to take what was at the time 'the new test'. And to think that this was just one of the many recorded projects that were lost is disheartening.

This was many years ago. So I guess it still depends on what is happening at the Chapter level.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

I believe the PTG is a good source of information. I also believe that the PTG provides an avenue for people who benefit from a group setting. The shared fellowship involved, along with the willingness of many of the members to share and help the new members learn more is significant. Many people in all walks of life benefit greatly from this kind of setting to learn in. The PTG is one of those groups for this trade.

I am the type of person who does not do well in this type of setting. I enjoyed my university and fine arts school studies. I have never had a problem with the PTG or the existence of the PTG or its mandate.

The problem as I see it is not the PTG or its function, it is the “us and them” divisiveness often encountered by non-members from members. But I am sure this is problematic with any group versus non-group affiliation.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the responses so far! This is really interesting.

Ryan Sowers,
Pianova Piano Service
Olympia, WA
www.pianova.net
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm not someone who likes meetings. Since I live in a rural area and that means LONG drives to those meetings that I don't like, I reluctantly shed my membership a year ago after some 40 years as a RPT (or equivalent) member.

I think it's a great org. but as I got older, I found I liked my alone time more and more.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by rysowers
I know, this may seem like in inflammatory subject, but its one that has been on my mind lately.

I'm curious to know how the non PTG technicians perceive the guild. My goal is not to defend PTG but to just get a sense of others thoughts and feelings.

I encourage participants to be honest yet reasonably diplomatic and respectful with their comments.

Thanks for posting!

I am pro-PTG, but not an associate member because paying off student loans and buying tech tools are more urgent (the high cost of PTG can be a huge burden for young people). I do plan to join hopefully later this year, though. That said, I do regularly hear stories from veterans about the various interpolitical issues that come up, which is kind of a turn off, but I guess you will have that in any organization.

R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I support PTG through buying the Journal subscription yearly, and attending occasional meetings...many great friends in the local chapter...

I don't formally join because I won't attend regular meetings due to schedule and travel (being honest, not making a judgement as to value here :-)

I sincerely wish PTG would offer a "CE" membership status...continuing education membership only. I'm just not interested in RPT status, but the learning and continuing education IS something I love about PTG. I think the editorial style of the Journal is better now, but in the past it spoke "down" to Associate members and that rubs the wrong way when I know so many very heavy techs who are associates! (Chuck Behm, Alex Kaptyn both come to mind...amazing techs.)

Anyway, thanks for asking and listening. My local chapter knows that if locally or nationally I am able to join as a member without the pressure to take RPT exams I'd be happy to do so. (by pressure I mean this: the PTG website wont list Associate members, and directs new inquiries to RPT's only...so unless somebody wants to test in, we'd be supporting an organization that advertises AGAINST non RPTs!...which is just a non-starter for me)

Just my humble 2cents worth...nothing more.

Rick

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
I agree that the RPT status sets up a hierarchy. You could be in the business for 20 years or more but if you join the PTG you'd still have to prove yourself. I think the marketplace should be the place to decide if someone is capable or not. Like Rick, I'm just not interested in the RPT thing. And, what's really a shame, is that you lose your RPT status if you don't keep up on your dues. That's like earning a degree at a college or university but only being able to keep it if you pay dues every year.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B

I believe that change within the PTG is too slow. The PTG can not respond with any kind of speed to changing market conditions, and changing attitudes of it's members.

The impediment to quick response and change is the council system.

I would suggest removing the annual council and replacing it with decisions from the board. I'd like to see the board comprised of all RVP's, all officers, legal counsel, financial counsel, a member or two from the home office staff, a couple of RPT's and a couple of Associates from the ranks. It takes 400 RPT's at council 1-2 days to accomplish what a board could decide in 1 hour. If you have ever been to council, you know what I mean.

Board meetings could be skyped or web cast to the ranks (except for sensitive personnel matters). A summary of decisions could be easily emailed to members.

Now that we have a governing body that can make decisions quickly, without waiting to some annual meeting, the rank and file can submit suggestions to the board for discussion, decisions, and implementation.

If it is the desire of the board to change bylaws, Associate and RPT relationships, tuning tests, and any other important matters, it's a relatively simple thing to do. It would not require an act of god by the council.

I would imagine one of the reasons for the council set up was to slow down change in the PTG on purpose. However, the world is changing faster than the council can react.

It's time to give the board the power to lead the PTG in a positive direction for the future without being constrained by some bylaw it can't easily change.

Promote the acoustic piano - Promoting the piano is far more important for the future than promoting RPT over Associates.

By the way, I really like the newsletter via email. That is a great step forward!

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
I was an RPT and in CTE (certified tuning examiner) training, and president of our chapter (Erie 165). In 1996 I let my dues lapse while going through some life changes, so lost the RPT status. Like Dave, I decided I wasn't going to go through all the testing again. I feel it's pointless when I already passed them once.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
Just like Dave B and others said, I let my membership lapse in the late 80's because I could not attend chapter meetings because of another ongoinging committment on meeting nights, and the cost of membership at the time. If I remember correctly we were called craftsman, not RPT then. When did the designation change from craftsman to RTP? I also was interested in rejoining some years ago, but I really did not want to go through the retesting procedure. At one time I think PTG had a process where one could rejoin if sponsored by a current member. Am I just dreamining this??

Dave Forman
Piano Technician, Westminster Choir College of Rider University
Also, I do believe that PTG is a excellent organization, committed to educating beginning techs and tuners.

Dave Forman
Piano Technician, Westminster Choir College of Rider University
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by wcctuner
Just like Dave B and others said, I let my membership lapse in the late 80's because I could not attend chapter meetings because of another ongoinging committment on meeting nights, and the cost of membership at the time. If I remember correctly we were called craftsman, not RPT then. When did the designation change from craftsman to RTP? I also was interested in rejoining some years ago, but I really did not want to go through the retesting procedure. At one time I think PTG had a process where one could rejoin if sponsored by a current member. Am I just dreamining this??

Actually, we used to be called RTT's (registered tuner-technician) and then they changed it to RPT. You can rejoin if sponsored but you still have to take the tests.

DiGiorgi Piano Service
http://www.digiorgipiano.com
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Loren D

Actually, we used to be called RTT's (registered tuner-technician) and then they changed it to RPT. You can rejoin if sponsored but you still have to take the tests.

Yup. But before that we were Craftsman Members.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
P
P
Membership requirements have basically remained the same but the application process is different. You join through Home Office and your local chapter is notified. Please see membership FAQ's and application online at www.ptg.org The Home Office staff is available to answer questions about membership. (913)432-9975

The list of Registered Piano Technicians on the website IS the register. When you pass your exams, the register, the knowledge that you can pass the minimum standard in our biz, advertising rights to use the RPT logo, local and regional leadership opportunities, and full voting rights at the National level are the big deal.
All the other benefits of being a member are for Associates as well as RPT's: meetings, Journal, seminars and conventions, networking with other members, participation in commercial partner benefits like insurance and credit card.

Lisa Weller, RPT
Huntington Beach, CA
www.wellerpianoservice.com
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It should be noted that all are welcome to attend PTG seminars and conventions. After attending one or two, a non-member technician might understand the value of PTG more fully. The combination of professional development and fellowship/networking with like-minded individuals is priceless.

JG
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As a tuner that relies on an ETD to tune, I feel that I am looked down upon because I could probably not set a temperament by ear if I had to. I do use my ears to tune unisons, but feel that Tunelab does a MUCH better job calculating what tuning curve is needed for a specific piano that what I would do. I feel it's an antiquated notion to require people wanting to become an RPT to have to pass a tuning exam by ear. I am not against testing, I had to pass the Praxis test to be a registered teacher in the state of Missouri. I would be more likely to join if the Guild would let me use my ETD to take the exam.

Ryan G. Hassell
Hassell's Piano Tuning
Farmington, MO
www.hassellspianotuning.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hassells-Piano-Tuning/163155880804
ryanhassell@hotmail.com
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Dear Ryan(s),

I was trying to leave Ryan's thread alone...and let the non-members answer his question...but I would like to keep things accurate.

The Tuning Exam only requires tuning single strings from C3 to B4 by ear. The midrange of the piano is completely muted, and you are only dealing with the single strings and have 45 minutes to get those 24 wires fairly close to in-tune. It doesn't even have to be perfect, just pretty good.

You certainly can use your machine for the next section of the test, for the bass, treble, and high treble sections.

Then the machine is parked, and you tune the unisons from C3 to B4 by ear.

Why? It's not really to much to ask that you show that you know where a machine tuning should be trying to go, is it? The test simply makes sure that you understand what unisons, 4ths, 5ths, and 3rds should sound like...and how to put them together.

I agree and support Jurgen's point that the personal development and the networking with others in the craft is ...literally... priceless.

Rolling 200 miles,
for each meeting,
I am,
a PTG member,

Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff440@aol.com
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by Loren D

wcctuner is actually correct. Back in the day, the two levels were "Craftsman" and "Apprentice." I was an Apprentice member in 1976 when I apprenticed in a rebuilding shop.

Happiness is a freshly tuned piano.
Jim Boydston, proprietor, No Piano Left Behind - technician
www.facebook.com/NoPianoLeftBehind
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission