Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
Hurricane Irma & Our Piano Friends!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Tuning a Piano
How to Tune Pianos
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Schumann's 4th Finger Enigma Resolved!
Who's Online Now
87 registered members (bennevis, Beakybird, 36251, Alex Hutor, 22 invisible), 1,761 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1859208 - 03/10/12 01:32 AM Re: Isn't Steinway the One to beat? [Re: Rich Galassini]  
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,523
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Del  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,523
Olympia, Washington
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Originally Posted by Mike Carr
Rich(facts is facts) Galasinni,

Quote
The most recent numbers I can quote are from 2010, but Steinway produced under 900 grand pianos for all of North America that year.


"In 2010, we sold 1,836 grand pianos, of which 1,032 units were shipped from our New York facility to dealers in the Americas. The remaining 804 units were shipped from our German facility primarily to
Europe and Asia." 2010 Steinway annual report.

Just to give a broader picture of the facts.


Thank you for doing your homework Mike. You are correct. 1032 were made in New York for The Americas. Of those, under 900 were made for North America.

And yes, facts is facts. smile

I also heard production was about 900 during 2010. It’s possible my source was misinformed but it seemed credible at the time. Might there be a difference between the words "produced" and "sold?" The company could have gone into the year with considerable unsold inventory. The year 2009 wasn't all that good for a lot of companies making and selling luxury goods.

ddf


Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1859379 - 03/10/12 12:39 PM Re: Isn't Steinway the One to beat? [Re: sushifor5]  
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 66
Wound up Offline
Full Member
Wound up  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 66
Turandot,

No bias here, I just want the OP to know Steinway is not the most cost effective option in the higher end nor the best sounding in the medium lower priced range I used a stronger wording to couteract a misplaced 'prestige' orientation. Though it might be true that I am biased toward better sounding pianos!

Last edited by Wound up; 03/10/12 12:41 PM.
#1859391 - 03/10/12 12:50 PM Re: Isn't Steinway the One to beat? [Re: Piano*Dad]  
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 714
Mike Carr Offline
500 Post Club Member
Mike Carr  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 714
BANNED
PD,

Quote
Geez, 900 vs. 1000. Big deal. How many grands did Yamaha sell in the US?


Rich seemed to imply that New York production was less than 900 in 2010. A more accurate picture would be that they sold 1032 pianos out of New York, according to the annual report submitted to the SEC. I don’t care about what anyone “heard”. Rich knows that, I’m sure he obsessively tracks Steinway’s demise, but his version sounds better. In any case, that’s a heck of a lot less than they had been selling. Along with most of the other premium makers.

132+ new premium pianos is a significant amount, even for America. It’s not only over ten percent of Steinway’s New York production, but it would likely represent more than makers like fazioli, grotrian, fuerich, sauter, etc. sold here collectively in 2010. And I’d be surprised if Bosendorfer’s sum total of US sales was over 150 in 2010, if that. M&H? Bechstein? 2010 was not a good year for any high end maker. If you talk about actual concert grands sold in the US or those built for the Steinway concert bank, the difference might be even more dramatic.

Much of Steinways marketing strength lies in its concert services, Steinway schools, etc. But wait, Rich says Steinway is losing its grip because Julliard got a Fazioli? Huh?

Yamaha has nothing to do with this particular argument. They didn't ship any(or negligible?)tier 2 pianos to the US in 2010 according to Larry Fine. And I suppose Rich is going to use Fine’s tier 2 ratings when he tells us how it took a bunch of tier 2 makers to "dwarf" Steinway’s domestic production. Problem is by any measure except Fine’s, Steinway New York is a top piano, prestige, actual price, concert performance, concert predominance, etc.

The better question is when Steinway finally falls apart who’s going to take their place? I vote for the Cunningham piano or Hailun.

Many Steinway rebuilders are obsessed with badmouthing Steinway, maybe they wish they were Steinway. But they’re not. I don’t know if their obsession is treatable, but it probably isn’t.

Mike


smoke 'em if you got 'em
#1859475 - 03/10/12 04:03 PM Re: Isn't Steinway the One to beat? [Re: sushifor5]  
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,856
Rank Piano Amateur Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Rank Piano Amateur  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,856
I have a question for Mike Carr: what is your particular point of view? I have only detected anti-other-people in your views, but you can't permanently be as angry as you appear to be for no reason. So why the hostility?

I did not detect in anyone's posts above any inkling that anyone thinks that Steinway is facing the "demise" you cite, nor can I detect any evidence that anyone wants Steinway to meet its maker, as it were. You would be a much more effective advocate if (1) you disclosed why you seek to trash everyone else, instead of leaving us all to speculate, and (2) you could keep yourself from sounding so hostile. You are the one who brought up the idea of Steinway ceasing production, no one else did.

Just my two cents. I expect it would be good for your blood pressure if you could calm down. Speaking of treatable conditions. . . .as you were doing at the end of your post.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#1859613 - 03/10/12 08:29 PM Re: Isn't Steinway the One to beat? [Re: Rank Piano Amateur]  
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 714
Mike Carr Offline
500 Post Club Member
Mike Carr  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 714
BANNED
In light of Rich's recent statements about Steinway's illegal business activity, and their bribing some judges over a century ago, and how his knowledge of this nonsense, in his own words, has only scratched the surface . . . I don't think I'm too far off in my estimation of Rich's feelings for Steinway. I asked a few questions, clarification about Julliard and some of his numbers, mostly to see if Rich has any real information or just blowing smoke as usual.

Bringing up my blood pressure to bolster your rhetoric while calling me hostile sounds a little ignorant to me.

Writing is thinking. Possibly do a little less of one and more of the other. And let Rich think and answer for himself. He's a big boy now.

Mike


smoke 'em if you got 'em
#1859626 - 03/10/12 08:58 PM Re: Isn't Steinway the One to beat? [Re: sushifor5]  
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,604
Dave B Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Dave B  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,604
Philadelphia area
Mike ,,, I think you Got 'em ..... and your smokin 'em ... Peace dude.


"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
#1859634 - 03/10/12 09:31 PM Re: Isn't Steinway the One to beat? [Re: Mike Carr]  
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 10,690
Rich Galassini Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rich Galassini  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 10,690
Philadelphia/South Jersey
Hello Mike,

By now you must know that I do not "just blow smoke". I have no crystal ball and everything I have stated either comes from a reliable industry source or is available in writing - as you've already found.

I think you have totally missed with this statement though:

Originally Posted by Mike Carr
I don't think I'm too far off in my estimation of Rich's feelings for Steinway


I assume you mean that I do not like Steinway pianos. But I have no ill will towards Steinway or their dealers in general. I have played some fantastic Steinway pianos in my lifetime and I have stated this many times.

I do have a problem when the promotion of a brand - any brand - becomes so powerful that facts seem to disappear and the only thing that is common knowledge about the brand is what the company themselves "spin". That is not good for any industry, but is particularly harmful to ours.





Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Check out the Science Channel's "How Its Made" featuring our piano restoration:
http://www.cunninghampiano.com/how-its-made/
#1859639 - 03/10/12 09:45 PM Re: Isn't Steinway the One to beat? [Re: sushifor5]  
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 15,287
Norbert Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Norbert  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 15,287
Surrey, B.C.
Quote
and the only thing that is common knowledge about the brand is what the company themselves "spin". That is not good for any industry, but is particularly harmful to ours.


Unless one uses of course primarily ears & fingers with steady gaze at pocket book...

Norbert wink

Last edited by Norbert; 03/10/12 09:45 PM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642 www.eliteheritagepianos.ca Edmonton, Alta dealers for Estonia,
Brodmann 780-405-8908
#1859651 - 03/10/12 10:24 PM Re: Isn't Steinway the One to beat? [Re: sushifor5]  
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,298
Rickster Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,298
Georgia, USA
I must admit that I sense a hint of undue nastiness developing in this thread… (Or perhaps has already developed). I would caution certain members to be mindful of what they say/write here because it is not easily taken back or undone. Unless the moderators or Frank removes/deletes a thread/post it remains on the internet forever.

Mike, a few weeks ago you stated in no uncertain terms that you thought Rich had class… why can’t we leave it at that.

I’d love to own a Steinway, if I could afford it.

Rick


Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
#1859661 - 03/10/12 11:17 PM Re: Isn't Steinway the One to beat? [Re: sushifor5]  
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,785
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Jeff Clef  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,785
San Jose, CA
"...Unless the moderators or Frank removes/deletes a thread/post it remains on the internet forever..."

Seems I have read that anything that goes up on the web is permanently archived, independently of the will of its posters, and regardless of whether it is eventually removed by the people who put it up.

Even so, 'forever' is probably either an exaggeration, naked hubris, or an excess of optimism.


Clef

#1859663 - 03/10/12 11:18 PM Re: Isn't Steinway the One to beat? [Re: Rich Galassini]  
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 714
Mike Carr Offline
500 Post Club Member
Mike Carr  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 714
BANNED
Rich,

I think the premise of your business, that your rebuilt Steinways are superior to new Steinways while costing less, gets in the way of your good judgment, namely, asking us to believe that your historical endeavors and doubtful rendering of Steinway’s business prospects and practices has nothing to do with the fact that every time Steinway sells a new piano in your area you have to bite another chunk off one of your rebuilds.

Mike


Rickster,

I wouldn't deny that Rich has class. He's even invited me to lunch(no doubt reconsidered). He rolls with the punches and unless I'm mistaken doesn't run to the moderators everytime someone pulls his covers. I like that. I don't share the infatuation of his admirers who characterize me as constantly throwing holy water on Rich while repeating, "the blood of the martyrs commands you, the blood of the martyrs compels you . . ."

Mike (Dami, Why you do this to me?)




smoke 'em if you got 'em
#1859709 - 03/11/12 02:41 AM Re: Isn't Steinway the One to beat? [Re: sushifor5]  
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,298
Rickster Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Rickster  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 11,298
Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
"...Unless the moderators or Frank removes/deletes a thread/post it remains on the internet forever..."

Seems I have read that anything that goes up on the web is permanently archived, independently of the will of its posters, and regardless of whether it is eventually removed by the people who put it up.

Even so, 'forever' is probably either an exaggeration, naked hubris, or an excess of optimism.

How about “figure of speech”… Maybe I should have said forever and a day… grin

Sorry you didn’t get my point; in other words, be careful what you say/write on the Internet in general and on Piano World in particular.

Rick



Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
#1859787 - 03/11/12 10:12 AM Re: Isn't Steinway the One to beat? [Re: Mike Carr]  
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,639
David-G Offline
1000 Post Club Member
David-G  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,639
London
I don't have an axe to grind here. I don't own a Steinway. I am most unlikely to be in the market for a Steinway, or indeed for a piano of any kind. Nevertheless I find this an interesting discussion, and Steinway's leading position in the market is obviously a subject of considerable interest.

However, when I read a statement like

Originally Posted by Mike Carr
The better question is when Steinway finally falls apart who’s going to take their place? I vote for the Cunningham piano or Hailun.

I find myself seriously unimpressed by the supposed sarcasm. And when I read a further statement like

Originally Posted by Mike Carr
Many Steinway rebuilders are obsessed with badmouthing Steinway, maybe they wish they were Steinway. But they’re not. I don’t know if their obsession is treatable, but it probably isn’t.

when I have certainly seen no "obsession with badmouthing Steinway" in this thread, I can't help feeling that the "badmouthing" is perhaps coming from another source.

#1860086 - 03/11/12 07:40 PM Re: Isn't Steinway the One to beat? [Re: sushifor5]  
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 589
Thrill Science Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thrill Science  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 589
California
You asked "Isn't Steinway the One to beat?"

The top pianos of the day are made by Fazioli (Italy) and Bösendorfer (Austria). By any measure, these are the ones to beat. (Not coincidentally, they're also the most expensive.)

Also very good are the Shigeru Kawai, the Yamaha "S" and "CF" series, Bechstein, Grotrian, Sauter, Steingraeber & Söhne, and Blunther. If you're not hung up on a particular brand, you will find pianos from these makers as good as anything else out there.

Take a look at what Larry Fine, for example, rates as Tier 1 for "performance pianos." According to his last guide, US Made Steinways are second-tier (though he says they are improving). Also see comments from George Kolasis who likes the Shigeru Kawai.

You'll find little significant difference between the Steinway stencils from other pianos in the same price range from the same manufacturers sold under different brand names. In fact, you may prefer the "Kawai" brand Kawais. And though not made by Yamaha, you'd be cheating yourself if you didn't try the Yamaha "C" series if you were considering a "Boston."

If you want to see, feel, and hear what a no-holds-barred piano sounds and plays like, visit a Fazioli or Bösendorfer dealer.

Last edited by Thrill Science; 03/11/12 07:49 PM.

Robert Swirsky
Thrill Science, Inc.
#1860197 - 03/11/12 10:59 PM Re: Isn't Steinway the One to beat? [Re: Thrill Science]  
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,439
turandot Offline
7000 Post Club Member
turandot  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,439
torrance, CA
"By any measure" huh?

I hope you got a thrill our of that post because there sure wasn't any science. laugh


Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
#1860281 - 03/12/12 02:31 AM Re: Isn't Steinway the One to beat? [Re: sushifor5]  
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 74
sushifor5 Offline
Full Member
sushifor5  Offline
Full Member

Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 74
Northern Idaho
This has been a very interesting thread to read...I understand now that I poorly worded my original post's title (credit goes to turnadot), but I've enjoyed the perspectives shared. I am certainly not well versed in the broad world of pianos, and am only slightly familiar with certain brands. I have read Fine and I see that a handful of exceptional European pianos take top rank....I suppose I always thought of Steinway and Sons in the top tier as well, and I think of S&S as an American Icon of sorts. And, OK, I do like the Steinway sound. I've enjoyed playing and hearing the Boston grands as well, whose smallest grand has taken a place in my heart. The folks at my "local" Steinway gallery have been just wonderful and truly educative on various fronts. It seems that the Steinway debate is long-standing and lively, and I have no intention of joining it; I really was trying to solicit genuine thoughts and information on the Steinway-designed Boston vs. other pianos in its class. We are in the midst of our journey...it's a thrilling ride. Thx!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.


Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pearl River
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas


New Topics - Multiple Forums
When people think the composer is someone else
by Mark_C. 09/25/17 06:48 PM
Anyone who likes Chopin (Noct 9 opus 1) but intimidated
by piano_primo_1. 09/25/17 05:51 PM
The Fourth
by Goof. 09/25/17 05:18 PM
The Secret Life of Pianos
by Grandman. 09/25/17 02:32 PM
What makes me play too loudly?
by Beemer. 09/25/17 08:21 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics182,019
Posts2,660,094
Members88,889
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers


 
Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe
 
Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |


copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0