2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Y
ysolla Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Hello all
I am hoping you good folks here could point me in the right direction. I've been lurking around here for, oohhh, about a year now, but really am no further forward.

I am a total beginner to music. I love listening to it, I adore piano and just over a year ago we purchased one for my son to learn. He's 7 yrs old and started lessons at school in October past. I use his homework lessons for me too, but feel they are progressing a little too slow for me, mind you, I don't think I need to go too fast either! I just want to be able to find pieces I like and learn to play them, I'm not wanting to do my various grades/exams, etc. I did get Alfreds basic, all-in-one, level one book. But I get stuck on timing when I don't know how a piece should sound. So I've basically ground to a halt with the exception of my son's lessons, which I love, but as I say, I think I can learn a little faster than him, up to a point anyway. He is using John Thompson's Easiest Piano Course Part 1, if any of you know it - we're a couple of weeks away from finishing the book. I am still playing bang in the middle of the keyboard. Oh yes, I'm not playing with both hands simultaneously yet either. If you need more detailed info on what I do know, let me know and I'll happily furbish you with the necessaries.
I'd love a tutor, but have to do it myself as I am already paying for my son at school. What do you guys suggest I do to get me out of this hole I seem to be stuck in?
Thanks!!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
try youtube videos..just type in the name of the piece/song..and in most cases you get a person learning the same piece..or a pro performer..then you can get an idea of tempo..

Y
ysolla Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Thanks!!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In regards to timing, before you even play the piece you can look over the music and clap the rhythm until you get to the point where you feel more comfortable with it.

Also, maybe you could do a "check in" with your sons teacher once month or something.
Then they can see what you are doing and give you some pointers. They can also gauge where you are and recommend pieces that are appropriate for your level.

Good Luck!

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
If you phrase it right, ask your son for occasional guidance. He'll be thrilled, even if you are a bit beyond him, to demonstrate or explain to his parent.
Could be very nice bonding.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just remember to take it nice and slow. Remember what it was like learning to tie your shoes? You start slowly and fumble alot, with laces quickly coming untied. Eventually you do it neatly in the blink of an eye! Same with piano. Patience and time will get you where you want to go.

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio CDP S350

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member
There are a lot of books that come with CDs to show you how the pieces should sound.
And there are many many tutorials on line.

If you do some searches in this forum you can find a lot of info on self-teaching.

The hardest thing to do is to be patient with yourself.

Even those who have had musical experiences/instruction in the past (like me !) find learning piano challenging - so if you have no musical background, just be sure to acknowledge that no, it isn't easy - but yes, it is worth the time and effort!

Good luck, have fun, and welcome!

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

M
M
Originally Posted by ysolla

...I get stuck on timing when I don't know how a piece should sound...

Hello, Ysolla. When you get stuck on timing, you need to begin counting out the music. It will sound something like 1 2 + 3 uh + uh 4, 1 uh + uh 2 + 3 4, and so on. Each measure will be different.

...I am still playing bang in the middle of the keyboard. Oh yes, I'm not playing with both hands simultaneously yet either...

Maybe you should try playing some hymns. Hymns should get you playing with two hands with a minimum of complexity. I play them with three-note chords.

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mike Mandaville
When you get stuck on timing, you need to begin counting out the music. It will sound something like 1 2 + 3 uh + uh 4, 1 uh + uh 2 + 3 4, and so on. Each measure will be different.

???????? Perhaps I'm not interpreting this the way it was meant?

You counting should be as even as you can humanly make it. For Alfred 1, simply counting "One and Two and Three and Four and" for each measure in 4/4 time should be fine, since I don't think there are any note values shorter than eighth notes.

It is indeed very good practice, when you're look at a new piece, to clap or tap the note lengths from the sheet music as you do your counting aloud. If the rhythms are confusing, you can do the this one hand at a time, just as you might practice one hand's part at a time on the piano. You might also try tapping the rhythms both hands at one, as practice at reading two staves at once (but without having to worry about note values yet).

Reading rhythms can be pretty confusing, and is a whole 'nother issue to deal with on top of knowing which notes to play. You should feel free to break down the process into as many sub-steps as you need to in order to feel comfortable and figure stuff out.

Finding out how things should sound on youtube is a great option, but don't neglect the challenge of also learning how to "reconsitute" music purely from flat silent pages. It's very exciting when you figure out how to do it!

Last edited by tangleweeds; 03/07/12 10:32 PM. Reason: missing words, editing glitches

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
M
M
Originally Posted by tangleweeds

...You counting should be as even as you can humanly make it. For Alfred 1, simply counting "One and Two and Three and Four and" for each measure in 4/4 time should be fine, since I don't think there are any note values shorter than eighth notes.,,

Tangleweeds, I do not have the Alfred book, and if sixteenth notes are not indicated, then, of course, sixteenth notes should not be counted out.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Timing-Pianists-Allan-Small/dp/0739008919

This is a very nice book that should help you with any timing issues you are likely to face as a beginner!!!!

Christine

[Linked Image]
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I think the difference between what Mike Mandaville is saying vs. what tangleweeds is saying is not so much about the presence or absence of sixteenth notes. Rather, do you count out a count that always uses the smallest time division (tangleweed's way) or do you just count as needed for the notes you see (Mike's way).

For example, for a measure of quarter note, two eighth notes, quarter note, two eighth notes, in tangleweed's way you would count "One and Two and Three and Four and". Pair that with tapping on One, Two and, Three, Four and.

In Mike's way you would count the same as the taps: "One Two and Three Four and". The "Two and" and "Four and" are fit into the same time as "One" and "Three" -- that is the numbers are proceeding at a steady pace, and you're only articulating the eighth notes when they appear in the score.

What I've gathered is that some people prefer to start with tangleweed's way, and maybe progress to Mike's way after they can keep steady time with tangleweed's way.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Y
ysolla Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Thank you so much everyone. I look around and get overwhelmed by everyone here - even the "beginners" look so experienced! I'm never too sure what is appropriate online beginners level for me. I'd love to do a check in with my son's teacher, but unfortunately I can't, although his lesson is private, it's in school, during school hours. But I do get him to explain some things to me, just to check I've picked it up right and he loves the two of us playing his pieces simultaneously once he has learnt them first.

Patience with myself is the hardest thing of all! This has been of great encouragement though...I feel I can soldier on again. If I can only convince my hands to work simultaneously independent of one another - that would be progress! Oh yes...Is an hour a day the right amount of practise or not enough? What do you recommend?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'm never too sure what is appropriate online beginners level for me.

Every level is appropriate here. No matter what level you are, there is always something to learn. Any good teacher will tell you that they also learn things from their students, a different perspective on something. All levels are welcome here.

Is an hour a day the right amount of practise or not enough? What do you recommend?

Personally I think the old "hour a day" is overkill. Some people can play for an hour, but most lose focus after 20-30 minutes. Especially a 7 year old. I believe frequency of practicing is more important than time. I'd rather have students practice 10 minutes every day than an hour every so often. Repetition is the key to success.

Welcome!

-Brian
BM in Performance, Berklee College of Music, 23+ year teacher and touring musician
My Downloadable Video Piano Lessons
My Sight Reading eBook
My Music

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission