Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
80 registered members (anotherscott, Beemer, aliaksej, Animisha, barbaram, Artur Gajewski, 90125, 21 invisible), 956 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Essex vs. Boston vs. Steinway #1856929
03/06/12 01:20 AM
03/06/12 01:20 AM
Northern Idaho
S
sushifor5 Offline OP
sushifor5  Offline OP
S

Northern Idaho
OK, I have read Fine's book and latest info online, but I'm not sure I fully grasp the differences among the Steinway family of pianos. I know Essex and Boston are made in Asia (China and Japan respectively? is that right?) and are designed by Steinway. But what are the real life differences between the genuine Steinway and Sons pianos and the Essex and Boston? I'm specifically looking at studio and full-size uprights. How different are the designs and the components? What are the general thoughts on tone and playability?

I played an Essex 123 and an old and new Steinway 1098...I did not like the bright, twangy tone of the Essex...the new Steinway seemed too muffled and off in the bass. The old Steinway had nice tone...but is 40 years old and that's too old for my taste. I'm not an expert on key feel, etc, but am learning. I did not get to try the Boston yet, as they were absent from the store.

If anyone has pearls of wisdom to share regarding the construction, quality, playability, etc among this group of instruments, I'd love the input. THanks so much!!

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Essex vs. Boston vs. Steinway [Re: sushifor5] #1856935
03/06/12 01:33 AM
03/06/12 01:33 AM
Qc, Canada
S
slpiano Offline
slpiano  Offline
S

Qc, Canada
I don't know how well the dealer you went to prep his pianos but the 2 Essex 123 i tried in store (2 different stores) were far from bright and twangy like you say lol. As for the steinway being off in the bass, seems like a tuning issue to me.

Essex is Pearl river (china)
Boston is Kawai (japan)
Steinway is built in US or Germany (i'm far from sure tho).

Anyways, see it that way : Essex is like a honda civic while boston is more like a civic SI (yup... not more, for double the price!). Talking about the 48" uprights i tested personally. A Steinway is a Steinway... even tho i hear their uprights weren't as good as their grands. Those 3 pianos are kinda far away in price range too... You cant expect an Essex to perform like a Ferrari and personally i would stay away from Steinways uprights as you could get way better or equivalent for far less $$$.

If you're on a tight budget, give the Essex another try? If not... i wouldn't limit my choice to those brands as there is so many outstanding pianos out there.

All this being personal opinion tho. If you want some feedback on the Essex there is a post i made about the one i just bought :

forum post

Edit: adding stuff.

Last edited by slpiano; 03/06/12 01:44 AM.
Re: Essex vs. Boston vs. Steinway [Re: sushifor5] #1856942
03/06/12 01:47 AM
03/06/12 01:47 AM
USA
G
gnuboi Offline
2000 Post Club Member
gnuboi  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

USA
Twangy? Was it not tuned?

Re: Essex vs. Boston vs. Steinway [Re: sushifor5] #1857036
03/06/12 08:22 AM
03/06/12 08:22 AM
Belgium
R
RedKat Offline
RedKat  Offline
R

Belgium
I don’t know what people actually mean by saying that a piano is “bright”. If being bright is equivalent to being loud, certainly, Essex EUP-123 is a loud piano. If the meaning leans more toward the tone quality as being more “open” (like singing with widely open mouth) or “closed or round” (like professional opera singing with rounded lips), Essex, I think, has “round” sound. Twanginess is also something that does not belong to the Essex, IMHO. Below is a link to my performance at the latest ABF Recital played on my Essex EUP-123

http://recitals.pianoworld.com/recital_files/Recital_25/23.%20RedKat%20-%20Prelude%20Op.28%20N.4.mp3

I wonder how would you characterize this tone

[Linked Image]
Re: Essex vs. Boston vs. Steinway [Re: sushifor5] #1857051
03/06/12 09:08 AM
03/06/12 09:08 AM
Italy
A
acortot Offline
500 Post Club Member
acortot  Offline
500 Post Club Member
A

Italy
I don't see how a piano can be dismissed just because of it's age.. if you like it..

obviously a piano in poor condition should be dismissed.

just sayin..

rhythm must be inborn - Alfred Cortot

An Article on the unusual makeup of original Pleyel hammers, during Chopin's lifetime:

http://acortot.blogspot.it/2012/07/pleyel-hammers-in-chopin-era-i-martelli.html

Max DiMario
Re: Essex vs. Boston vs. Steinway [Re: sushifor5] #1857068
03/06/12 09:39 AM
03/06/12 09:39 AM
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Steve Cohen Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Steve Cohen  Offline

Maryland/DC/No. VA
Another perspective on comparing Steinway, Boston and Essex is to draw the analogy to competitive brands about which more is known. Steinway, being very well know can be the basis for comparison.

Steinway is to Boston much like Steinway is to Kawai (it's maker) or Yamaha.

Steinway is to Essex much like Steinway is to Pearl River (it's maker) or Baldwin (China).

The specific design and technological differences of any brand can be best evaluated by the performance of well prepped samples of those pianos.

Piano Industry Consultant- http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steve-cohen/6/b92/b80

Consultant & Contributing Editor - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Jasons Music
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Since 1937.

www.jasonsmusic.com
My postings, unless stated otherwise, are my personal opinions, not those of my clients.
Re: Essex vs. Boston vs. Steinway [Re: sushifor5] #1857096
03/06/12 10:29 AM
03/06/12 10:29 AM
Williamsburg, VA
Piano*Dad Offline
Piano*Dad  Offline

Williamsburg, VA
This may be OT, but why limit your choice to those three components of the same corporate family? There are many other uprights you could consider that you might actually prefer (and afford). Instead of a Steinway, try a Petrof or a Charles Walter. They're much less expensive, and who knows, you might like them better. Instead of a Boston, you might look at a Kawai or a Yamaha U-series. Instead of an Essex, you might try any one of a bunch of less expensive pianos from China. In the end, you may go back to the Essex, Boston, Steinway line, but you will do so more fully informed.

Re: Essex vs. Boston vs. Steinway [Re: sushifor5] #1857274
03/06/12 03:23 PM
03/06/12 03:23 PM
Northern Idaho
S
sushifor5 Offline OP
sushifor5  Offline OP
S

Northern Idaho
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We are considering other uprights...I just wanted to better understand the Steinway family. I am considering a Charles Walter, a Knabe, a Kawai, and others...we don't have access to many pianos as far as local availability, so it's a tough search. I'm trying to understand how the internals and design of the Steinway family would differ and affect the tones and longevity of the instruments.

To RedKat, that was beautiful playing, thanks for the link. I would characterize the sound of your Essex as bright, especially in the treble. When I say bright I'm talking about the difference between a Yamaha and a Kawai...the yamaha is bright and lends itself to a jazzy sound and the kawai is more muffled...i honestly don't know how better to describe what i'm hearing...i've got a sensitive ear, but i'm not a professional with instruments and terminology.

We played a Knabe 131 and it had the same muffled quality of the larger Kawai uprights...it sounded more like the grands I've heard. The Yamahas and the Essex seemed more open, certainly less "muffled."

I do believe the Steinway dealer said that the Essex we played that day had not been fully tuned yet. I imagine that makes a difference. The Essex in the high range sounded a bit shrill...it just didn't seem right to me.

I'm certainly open to education on how to describe the tones of these instruments...I struggle to explain what I'm hearing and feeling. Thanks to all!!

Last edited by sushifor5; 03/06/12 06:37 PM.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
What would you have done.....Hammer problem
by Duaner. 01/16/19 06:39 AM
For Pianoteq devotees: new instrument introduced
by QuasiUnaFantasia. 01/16/19 06:37 AM
Yamaha Smart Pianist Recording
by oneilt130. 01/16/19 05:42 AM
Dynamics and listening skills - tip!
by Animisha. 01/16/19 04:21 AM
Tips for playing Mozart K310 First movement
by hyena. 01/16/19 03:38 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,600
Posts2,782,233
Members92,114
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission