2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (akse0435, amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Originally Posted by Rafterman
If I was going to make something up......I would imagine myself into a Steinway and Shigeru Kawai!

Valid point.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think you're pretty safe buying a Kawai sight unseen. They seem to be pretty consistent.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I bought the Yamaha YUS5. I haven't taken delivery of it yet.
Played Kawai K8 at Kawai dealer. Went to 9 Kawai dealers.
Considered a RX-2 for a moment. Decided to buy the Kawai K8.
Yes...sight unseen because most dealers don't stock it for whatever reason in this area. Dealer had to order it.

You think it was a bad decision to order unseen? When it arrives I will go over it. I didn't exactly have a lot of choice in the matter unless I wanted to pay $4000 more at the other dealer for it.

If you are trying to subject me to ridicule you might want to knock it off.

I missed that thread, somehow, but I am GREEN with envy at your purchase of TWO pianos. Major congrats!

[Linked Image]

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

R
OP Offline
R
The rebate doesn't come out of the dealer's pocket. It's from corporate Kawai. Why a dealer wouldn't participate for a customer....I don't know.

I really like the dealer I am doing business with on this piano.

When I said $4000 more, I should have been clear that price difference reflected in state taxes and delivery.

I have to admit I have some time on my hands because I am having back surgery next month.......BUT some of you guys on here are real "Sidewalk Lawyers" the way you picked my posts apart!!! Can't we all just get along!!?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BUT some of you guys on here are real "Sidewalk Lawyers" the way you picked my posts apart!!! Can't we all just get along!!?

Hey, Rafterman, we have a lot in common, you and I… we wear our feelings on our shoulders; believe me, they will get knocked off on occasion here on Piano World (ask me how I know that laugh ).

And, we want the best deal possible, rebates and all... smile

I don't know about “sidewalk lawyers” (first time I’ve heard that term) here, but most of the regular members here do pay close attention to what others post. And, there are some very bright and intelligent folks here that would make excellent, real lawyers! Plus, there are some real lawyers who are members here. smile

It’s not unusual for someone to call your hand about something you wrote or disagree with you about something. Don’t take it personally… (took me a while to learn that).

In regards to your back surgery, we wish you the best outcome possible, and a speedy recovery.

All the best.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Rafterman,

My interest in your 'purchase' of the Kawai K-8 was related to the rebate offering which runs March 1 to 31. That rebate was the subject of this thread. It seemed unusual to me that a retailer who had exercised his option to not participate in the rebate scheme (no pejorative attached to 'scheme') would be (in your words) persuaded to change his mind about not participating simply to accommodate your wish for $300 in further discounts on a piano you had purchased in February.

There are many possible reasons why a retailer might decline to participate in a rebate scheme. He might feel that instantaneous discounts he gives off the usual price will be more compelling than equal discounts in the form of a mail-in rebate. He may feel that he won't get a rush of customers because of offering the rebate. He might find the paperwork bothersome. It's even possible he might have to make a co-pay of some sort into the rebate scheme. I don't know. Probably Nancy or Kawai Don could explain, not that either would be obliged to.

You asked if I thought buying sight-uneen was a bad idea. I would say it's up to the individual. There is an element of risk. The risk may be offset by the rewardof a lower price. The amount of risk would depend on the individual situation. If you bought a piano outright (full payment up front) with no performance clause about getting your money back based on dissatisfaction with the piano after it is prepped in the showroom, or based on the retailer's inability to provide the piano within an agreed-upon and specified time, I would say you would be vulnerable. As someone already pointed out, you would probably be less vulnerable with Kawai than with some other brands, but you would IMO be exposed to significant risk. That is one reason I was asking you about your 'purchase'.

A second reason is based on a post you made herr in February. You wrote

Rafterman Offline

Loc: New York
As far as I am concerned...the customer has to be the cut-throat person not to get burned. Educate yourself and they can't burn you. Simple as that. The entire process is a negotiation. DO the legwork and you will get the best results. If someone tries to get over on me.......I am done with them.

Buying a piano is just like buying a car. Pretty much the same rules.

That comment , along with a post you made accusing PW retailers of stalking you through PM's, gave me the impression that your basic approach to the market and its retailers was antagonistic. I wondered if you might be displaying antagonism in hounding a retailer who you had negotiated with an reached an agreement with to give you back an additional $300 after the deal was done.

If that is the case, I would suggest that you consider an opposite scenario in which you agree to a price, sign the deal, and the dealer calls you two weeks later to tell you his wholesale cost had gone up since the deal and he needs an additional $300 from you. What would be your response to that?

Although IMO many of your posts here are inconsistent and some downright contradictory, I was only asking you because of the rebate terms and your statement that you were getting another $300 off your deal. Beyond that interest, I don't really care.

I will add though that I have some sympathy for retailers here in this forum. They are often attacked in sweeping general statements by consumers. It's a no-win for them. If they are silent, the accusations may take on some credibility. If they respond, they are seen as aggressive and argumentative. I guess they're used to it though.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
S
S
Good post Tur.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

R
OP Offline
R
Turnadot you are killing me! Are you really the Kawai dealer I am dealing with? That would explain your passionate long attack on me. smile

I have praised piano dealers on here for their professional staff. In this case I was stumped as to why they would not participate. Simple as that. Not a criticism.

Yes I drive a hard bargain! There are a lot of other things to do with that saved money. Life is short!
Maybe I remind you of a customer you dealt with in your past? The dealer is a dealer at the end of the day. They are not moving in with me.

I value the intellect of this community. It seems the majority of people on here appear to be well educated.
I asked a simple question and got this livid response.
Now it looks like other dealers are jumping on your band wagon. You are the most angry guy from CA I have ever interacted with!

Let me know if you are coming out to NYC in the near future......St Patrick's day is coming up! I'll buy you a few drinks and we can talk this over in person and have a laugh. I'll even send a car for you at the aiport. You seem like a passionate guy and I appreciate that....so the conversation that would follow would be 100% interesting! Like I said "Can't we all just get along?" Musicians have to stick together!

R
OP Offline
R
Oh...one more thing.....Last time I checked this was "Piano World".......NOT "Piano DEALER World". Am I mistaken? wink

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Oh...one more thing.....Last time I checked this was "Piano World".......NOT "Piano DEALER World". Am I mistaken? wink

Just a little bit. This IS the "piano" forum and the description reads:
Piano Forum (362 viewing)
Discussions about pianos (instruments and manufacturers). Piano reviews.

I'm not a manufacturer OR a dealer OR a piano, by the way... smile
('tho I DO wish I were in NYC during St Patrick's day, ha!)

Last edited by piano joy; 03/03/12 09:44 PM.

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Turnadot you are killing me!

Oh, come on. You're not going to die here. You're just venting. It's the bluster of your own posts that has caught up with you here, not my comments.

I was only interested in how and why a March rebate would be applied to a purchase made in February. You're not posting to that. I have no interest in all your other gibberish, so at this point I have no interest at all.

R
OP Offline
R
I knew you would have to have the last word! Ok we are all friends again......BUT....on a serious note if you do find yourself up this way please contact me. It would be a pleasure to meet you guys and show you a little hospitality.

I appreciate your contributions to this forum. I am going to name my Kawai piano after you Turnadot when it gets here! grin

A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I knew you would have to have the last word! Ok we are all friends again......BUT....on a serious note if you do find yourself up this way please contact me. It would be a pleasure to meet you guys and show you a little hospitality.

I appreciate your contributions to this forum. I am going to name my Kawai piano after you Turnadot when it gets here! grin

You're still not actually addressing any of the points brought up in Turandot's post...

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AJF

You're still not actually addressing any of the points brought up in Turandot's post...

Indeed! shocked
Everything else though from accusations to invitations. I've forgotten whether the kitchen sink was thrown in.

My error though,. Never a good idea to pan for gold in a dry stream bed.

R
OP Offline
R
Oh we are up to 1045 views so we have to keep this going for everyone's entertainment.

Let's review the sequence of events:

1. I start topic on Kawai rebate event.

2. Nice people respond to post.

3. Turnadot makes a snide remark and decides to play the role of cross examinataion lawyer with my posts.

4. My explanation does not satisfy his curiousity.

5. I wonder to myself how did I let some piano internet "bullies" hook my inner child.

I am fascinated by your little imsulting parables at the end of your posts. PM with your phone number and we can talk about it if you like. I would value your advice! I wonder where you went to school!

A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
You're STILL not addressing any.....oh just forget it :p

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
R
OP Offline
R
Now we are at 1220 hits! Too bad we don't have revenue ads on this post! Anything after my last post is just pure entertainment at this point. A lot of people have told me that you two guys are very nice people......so I give up!

(Still going to name my Kawai K8 after Turnadot though.. grin

J
J
Good grief. I just read this thread and learned about the March rebate for my Kawai CA63 that I purchased...on February 28th. Oh well...

R
OP Offline
R
.....and it was a leap year as well so you couldn't play any time zone game excuses!! Sorry frown

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission