2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 14 invisible), 1,987 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
In No. 6 Prelude in D minor the last few measures have 9 chromatically descending diminished triad arpeggios. If that doesn't have Equal Temperament written all over it, I don't know what would.

And the pieces in the Well Tempered Clavier are in chromatic order with the minor pieces not in the relative minor key, having the same key signature, but in the absolute minor key (would that be the right term?) having a different key signature, and in a well temperament a different color.

And as far as the title being "Well Tempered" (meaning, as I understand it "good" rather than "thoroughly") and not "Equal Tempered", I take the meanings as synonymous. I think Bach felt that equal temperament was a "good" temperament, and I agree!

And the curious squiggle on the cover is probably just a curious squiggle that, if anything, would mean a chromatic order, as that is how the pieces are arranged. If Bach had written WTC for some new temperament, wouldn't he have said how it should be tuned? Of course he would!

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Unless that curious squiggle ARE the instructions to the tuning...

;-)

Ron Koval

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonTuner
Unless that curious squiggle ARE the instructions to the tuning...

;-)

Ron Koval

Or a Rorschach test. wink

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
In No. 6 Prelude in D minor the last few measures have 9 chromatically descending diminished triad arpeggios. If that doesn't have Equal Temperament written all over it, I don't know what would.

And the pieces in the Well Tempered Clavier are in chromatic order with the minor pieces not in the relative minor key, having the same key signature, but in the absolute minor key (would that be the right term?) having a different key signature, and in a well temperament a different color.

And as far as the title being "Well Tempered" (meaning, as I understand it "good" rather than "thoroughly") and not "Equal Tempered", I take the meanings as synonymous. I think Bach felt that equal temperament was a "good" temperament, and I agree!

And the curious squiggle on the cover is probably just a curious squiggle that, if anything, would mean a chromatic order, as that is how the pieces are arranged. If Bach had written WTC for some new temperament, wouldn't he have said how it should be tuned? Of course he would!

I guess that finally settles a centuries old debate.

Kees

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
In my mind it does.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
At some point, "Well Tempered" means "slightly different from equally tempered." That point will come at different situations for different music, instruments, and people.

Semipro Tech
Jeff,
Remember that Bach did not play a modern piano, but a harpsichord on which the tuning could be changed more easily than on a piano. In my student days here at Westminster I remember hearing that Bach was aware of ET, but did not like it. May be true, may not be true. Listen to some of these pieces in an WT tuned for the key in which the piece is being played-they take on a whole new life.

Dave Forman
Piano Technician, Westminster Choir College of Rider University
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
The Well Tempered Clavier was not written for harpsichord. And what I, or anyone else, happens to like has nothing to do with it. But what difference does it make how easily an instrument is tuned????

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
It is really unlikely that ET existed on any keyboard instruments during Bach's time. It simply wasn't the goal for any of the written standards of the time. Was it possible, given the aural tuning techniques? Perhaps. Was it practiced? I doubt it!

That doesn't discount our general preference to hear a tuning style that has been aimed at and tested for during the last generation of tuners. Teaching to the test? You betcha!

Considering the wide variance of ET practiced by today's aural tuners, it becomes more clear that ET is a goal that many think they achieve, but a smaller percentage actually perform...

Ron Koval

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Dissertations and books have been written on temperaments and tunings in Bach's time. The consensus of the scholars is quite clear. What anyone chooses to believe or not is fairly inconsequential - does it really deserve a thread on this forum?

JG
K
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
K

Um, are you aware that "Well Temperament" was a technical term employed that referred to a particular kind of temperament (or, at least, family of similar temperaments)? It didn't mean anything generic like "kinda good sounding" or "competently done" or anything vague like that that would allow us to apply all kinds of interpretations of our own. Well Temperaments are "well" known in circles who have given more than cursory investigation to historical temperaments.

Equal temperament emerged after the development of logarithmic tables -- which weren't around in Bach's time.

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
editor emeritus of Piano Technicians Journal
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Equal temperament emerged after the development of logarithmic tables -- which weren't around in Bach's time.

Keith, logarithms were developed in the early 1600s, and equal temperament was well known long before Bach's time. Lutenists were, and still are along with guitarists, constrained to equal temperament because of the parallel frets although pitch could be subtly varied in performance.

Chris Leslie
Piano technician, ARPT
http://www.chrisleslie.com.au
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Chris Leslie

Keith, logarithms were developed in the early 1600s, and equal temperament was well known long before Bach's time. Lutenists were, and still are along with guitarists, constrained to equal temperament because of the parallel frets although pitch could be subtly varied in performance.

Regardless, that doesn't negate the fact that the WTC was written for well-tempered tuning. This is pretty well researched and indisputable.

R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Jeff. I think you made up your mind on this one years ago. You may have wavered just a little about 3 weeks ago but, rest assured, it didn't show much in your posts.

I normally skip the temperament posts but some of the recordings of the standards of the '30's and 40's simply don't work in their standard keys in unequal temperament. The style of hharmony loses a lot. Maybe if they were transposed they might gain something.

Which version of well temperament did you compare the diminished triads with before reaching your conclusion? I can't help thinking that, in a succession of broken minor triads in an unequal temperament, the many different sizes of minor third would lend more interest. When you add the acoustical environs of a pipe organ or the acoustic properties of a harpsichord, these notes would run into each other a bit. Then we might begin to hear what the devious old prankster was really saying to us. It's as though he was saying, yet again "Here's something else to think about before I shut this thing down"

Thank you for starting this thread. It has brought some interesting thoughts out of the woodwork.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

Did some quick research on this last night. Most scholars believe that well tempered means most likely a well temperament, possibly equal occasionally, but not a meantone temperament which had been the norm before that. Bach tuned his own instruments, and used temperaments in which all keys could be used. As far as what WTC was written for, some believe they were written for Clavichord, others believe Clavier stands for keyboard instruments, clavichord and harpsichord, and now played on our modern piano. Modern practice, at least here, is harpsichords are tuned in a variety of well temperament, which temperament depends on the music being performed, conforming to what our professors believe is the way they were tuned in the 1700's. They tell me which temperament they want, and I tune the harpsichord to that.

Dave Forman
Piano Technician, Westminster Choir College of Rider University
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DoelKees

I guess that finally settles a centuries old debate.

Kees

Originally Posted by Supply

The consensus of the scholars is quite clear.

So is there still a debate or is there a consensus?

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
rXd:

Actually, I have been at war with myself on this one. And of course that makes it hard to be objective. I like the idea of tonal palates, but whenever I hear a temperament that is not equal enough to notice, it sounds out of tune! It only takes one raisin in the rabbit stew...

I am not much of a piano player- an eternal, stumbling grade four. But I have Chopin's Preludes and Bach's WTC and can play a few of each after a fashion. Looking at the music itself, I find some harmonies in Chopin that I wonder if they might be improved on with UT. I do not find this to be so in WTC.

But I am not a musicologist. And despite what some believe, there does not seem to be a consensus about WTC. And why shouldn't I have an opinion? But what to base it on? How about Occam's Razor?

So what temperament would most easily fit the criteria of WTC? What temperament would satisfy the requirement of all keys being usable with the same chord progressions being used in each, with the pieces not only containing chromatic passages, but in a chromatic order? Equal Temperament, of course! And, as has been mentioned, lutes were in ET and Bach wrote for lutes. ET was not anything new for Bach.

So ET is the "quick pick" for WTC, but not the only "pick". When I read about the evidence for some kind of WT, as we now understand them, we have to go to "experts." I read about harmonic analyses (that are disputed) and deciphering a single curlicue to prove that some sort of WT, again as we now understand them, was the intent.

Many moons ago I would be in a position of trying to figure out if an engineer on a ship really knew what they were talking about when there was a problem so as to decide on a course of action. I hadn't heard of Occam's Razor then, but used the same technique. The most obvious answer is usually the right one. Another thing that I learned is that when someone fogs up an issue, there is an ulterior motive. In the case of the engineers, it was usually to hide incompetence.

Many, but not all, WT enthusiasts seem to be very willing to fog up the issue. I do not have a problem with those that simply state, "It is what I and others prefer." I do question the motives of those that try to bring to bear obscure tidbits to confuse an issue. At the top of the list is any conspiracy theories! Next on the list is the weight of self granted authority such as dismissing an issue as already being decided and not worthy of consideration.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O

It only takes one raisin in the rabbit stew...

[Linked Image]

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by wcctuner
Bach tuned his own instruments, and used temperaments in which all keys could be used.

Everyone should be able to agree to that. Better ask Bach if he always used exactly the same temperament.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Withindale
Originally Posted by wcctuner
Bach tuned his own instruments, and used temperaments in which all keys could be used.

Everyone should be able to agree to that. Better ask Bach if he always used exactly the same temperament.

The Road to Endor?

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 20 21

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission