2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
P
Originally Posted by tomasino

Someone mentioned Cage. I don't take him seriously.

You don't take him seriously? His work on mushrooms is quite interesting you know.

Last edited by Pangur Bán; 02/28/12 10:05 PM.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Pangur Bán

You don't take [Cage] seriously? His work on mushrooms is quite interesting you know.

He studied mushrooms? Hopefully the 'festive' variety. wink

Jason
P
P
Originally Posted by argerichfan
He studied mushrooms? Hopefully the 'festive' variety. wink

All sorts I think, including, I would imagine, the grin sort. He was a respected amateur mycologist. And yes he prepared composed some stuff as well.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by ChopinLives81
Am I the only one who can't seem to find the appeal of Mozart? Nothing against him, and I understand and appreciate his work from a compositional and technical point, however there are very few pieces that I can bare to listen from him.

If we are talking about his piano works, yes, but his orchestral works are wonderful. This is why, for me, Beethoven is king. Strong on piano, strong on orchestra. Even my beloved Liszt loses me a bit on the orchestral works.

I'm not a big Schumann fan either.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Schumann is great, but I'm not the biggest on him.

Same with Mendelssohn, if we're talking just for piano.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Orange Soda King
Schumann is great, but I'm not the biggest on him.

I confess to being a bit mystified, but to each his own. Yet I could never live without the Fantasy. OTH, the finale of his first symphony I find utterly tedious.
Same with Mendelssohn, if we're talking just for piano.

A handful of M's piano works are fully worthy of his genius, but some of them I could give a miss. But the symphonies, the two great oratorios, the chamber works -those I have heard- and even some of the part songs? Love 'em.

Jason
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
Originally Posted by carey
Originally Posted by Tararex

Schumann is harmonically complex but often lacks the strong rhythmic patterns used by composers such as Bach, Schubert and Beethoven.

Simply not true.

To me Schumann has too much predictable rhythmic patterns that I often get bored. But in general, I like his work, he has style different from others.

That may be a better description. With Schumann it's never long before an overwhelming sense of "circling in the woods" asserts itself.

Piano is hard work from beginning to forever.

P
P
I think it's not so much a question of rhythmic patterns as the architectonics of a given piece of Schumann's solo piano music. Whilst a lot of keyboard music 1700-1900 was written in a small number of standard musical forms (e.g. sonata form, rondo, various dances, &c &c), Schumann tended to write a lot of programme music. Unlike a lot of programme music where the 'programme' is fairly explicit, the 'programme' in Schumann's music not always obvious, and often there's a narrative of sorts going on; and you have to decide, from the notes before you, what sort of story you want to tell, or what story you want to hear. In short, you need to work that much harder, either as a listener or as a performer.

Last edited by Pangur Bán; 02/28/12 11:31 PM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Mendelssohn's a capella works are fantastic, too!!

Am I the only one who can't seem to find the appeal of Mozart? Nothing against him, and I understand and appreciate his work from a compositional and technical point, however there are very few pieces that I can bare to listen from him.

I totally agree with what you've said. So no you're not the only one. I find Mozart a fascinating personality but his piano compositions, not much so other than as study items. On the other hand I adore his whimsical operas - but more for libretto and treatment than the music.

Originally Posted by Pangur Bán
I think it's not so much a question of rhythmic patterns as the architectonics of a given piece of Schumann's solo piano music. Whilst a lot of keyboard music 1700-1900 was written in a small number of standard musical forms (e.g. sonata form, rondo, various dances, &c &c), Schumann tended to write a lot of programme music. Unlike a lot of programme music where the 'programme' is fairly explicit, the 'programme' in Schumann's music not always obvious, and often there's a narrative of sorts going on; and you have to decide, from the notes before you, what sort of story you want to tell, or what story you want to hear. In short, you need to work that much harder, either as a listener or as a performer.

Excellent! This is quite true as I never quite comprehend what Schumann is trying to say while Liszt, another 'programme' composer always speaks quite clearly to me.

My inner voice petulantly stamps its foot and tells Schumann to be quiet if he can't find anything logical* to talk about.

Logical* = long list of musical programmes/dances I care for.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

I totally agree with what you've said. So no you're not the only one. I find Mozart a fascinating personality but his piano compositions, not much so other than as study items. On the other hand I adore his whimsical operas - but more for libretto and treatment than the music.

The funny thing is (no pun intended) that I feel most of his works revolve too much in the major scales and those trill flourishes that sprout from most of his sonatas for example really get on my nerves...lol

"A Sorceror of tonality; the piano is my cauldron and the music is my spell, let those who cannot hear my calling die and burn in He11."

Check my videos @:
http://www.youtube.com/user/chopinlives81
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Shostakovich and Bartok...

O
O
Originally Posted by BB Player
Originally Posted by Otis S
Originally Posted by BB Player
I know I'm destined for the fires of heck when I die (and maybe sooner, here) but I'll say it anyway: Bach. I respect the heck out of him, I admire his music, I play a little of it but I don't love it. I own a number of recordings of his music and do listen to it but it's more a clinical study than an act of love.

How do you feel about the music of other baroque composers such as Handel? Are there other baroque composers who appeal to you considerably more than Bach?

(Very) loosely speaking, I more or less switch on at Mozart. There are probably too many exceptions to list (some Handel, some Haydn, ...) but Mozart onward is where the bulk of my music collection is centered.

I have similar musical tastes as you.

For the most part, I consider Haydn to be a contemporary of Mozart (although Haydn had a considerably longer life span)

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Interesting to see Schumann get so much hate. I love the guy. Fantasie, Symphonic Etudes, Kreisleriana, 2nd Piano Sonata...

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by pianojosh23
Interesting to see Schumann get so much hate. I love the guy. Fantasie, Symphonic Etudes, Kreisleriana, 2nd Piano Sonata...

I've really taken a fancy to the Humoreske these last several weeks.

No one -except the general public- seems to like the piano concerto, but the late 'Introduction & Allegro' Op 134 (also for piano and orchestra) is oddly neglected, I don't understand that.

A very worthy piece, superbly written, it builds to a luscious and glowing climax.

Jason

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by argerichfan

No one -except the general public- seems to like the piano concerto......

Well then, thank God for the general public !!!!! grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Opus_Maximus
REALLY!?!?!?

I mean I understand Bartok, but Shostakovich is the idol of tons of film composers and it shows in their works (just look at the works of John Williams for example who is VERY influenced by both Shostakovich and Stravinsky).

My inner voice petulantly stamps its foot and tells Schumann to be quiet if he can't find anything logical* to talk about.

Logical* = long list of musical programmes/dances I care for.

So it's all about YOU. grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Originally Posted by Opus_Maximus
REALLY!?!?!?

Shostakovich is the idol of tons of film composers and it shows in their works (just look at the works of John Williams for example who is VERY influenced by both Shostakovich and Stravinsky).

...and that has what to do with me liking them or not?

Williams does write beautiful music, granted..but I always thought he was more Wagner than Shosty..

Last edited by Opus_Maximus; 02/29/12 04:16 AM.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission