2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (AndrewJCW, Beowulf, Almar, Derek Mc, 1957, David Boyce, Boboulus, crazyRyoga, 10 invisible), 538 guests, and 528 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Troubleshooting buzzes
#1853237 02/28/12 04:43 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi all, I have not been active on here for a long time, but I'm still here. I have a customer with a 7- or 8-year old Bergmann grand with a persistent buzz when playing C#4, D4 and D#4. I spent over an hour trying to find the source of this buzz yesterday (having also failed to find it when I first tuned the piano a week ago). I found an old thread on the same subject, listing all the possible sources to check, and I checked them all.

My question, specifically, is this:

I could swear the noise is coming from under the plate, just to the "northeast" (or 2 o'clock) of the dampers of the affected notes.

We did try eliminating a few objects in the room that could be the source of the buzz, and I have heard many times that it turns out to be something in the room and not in the piano. But is it still possible for it to be something in the room when the buzz is loudest when you put your head down to the plate in the area I described?

Thanks for any opinions,

Anne

Anne Francis
Piano Tuner-Technician

Check out my blog! www.annefrancis.ca/blog

1906 Heintzman upright (rebuilt)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Troubleshooting buzzes
Anne Francis #1853686 02/29/12 12:02 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Hi Anne,

I was wondering where you have been lately.

Try the lock in the separator that locks the folding lid down. I mean press the lock stem and block downwards as if it is engaging.

Damper wire crooked? Something on the sounding board underneath the plate like a penny? Coming off the plate like that I would be looking for string seating at hitch and bridge pin points. Loose bridge pins?

Could also be the hammer making the string bounce against termination points. Try muting the strings off between the tuning pins and agraffes, or at the opposite end.

Anne Francis #1853706 02/29/12 12:21 PM
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
In addition to locating things that may be loose, make sure that the hammers are properly mated to the strings.

RPT
PTG Member
Silverwood Pianos #1853756 02/29/12 01:47 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi Dan and Gene, thanks for your responses. I'll try your suggestions. Not sure if this piano has a locking mechanism (don't think so); I did check for loose bridge and hitch pins and could not find anything. I could swear it is something on the soundboard under the plate, but I swept in the holes with both my Spurlock tools and a soundboard steel and could not find anything.

In your opinion, could it still be something in the room when the sound seems to be coming from inside the piano, or is it unlikely?

Guess what, the piano is 50km from where I live (wishing I had declined it, but I'm not busy enough to turn business down)... these return calls are darned expensive!!!

Anne Francis
Piano Tuner-Technician

Anne Francis #1853792 02/29/12 03:32 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Make sure you charge for the returns. These kinds of problems are not the responsibility of the technician to shoulder....

I would check everything now; sostenuto assembly and pitman arm, pedal trap workings and lyre, action screws and nuts (the ones on the hammer bump rail….)

Damper guide rail, music desk hinges and all hinges…also check the hinge pins that hold the big board in place and make sure they are tight………..do you have a telescoping magnet? Send it around underneath the plate…

Is this every string of those unisons that you have mentioned? Can you isolate down to a couple of pieces of wire?

How about the legs; how are they attached? Are they a bolt with machine threads into a metal plate? If they are check the washers underneath the bolt heads to make sure they are snug.

Castors? Lift the piano and pivot the castor in a different direction….

Yep 25 miles out is a difficult one to service.

Anne Francis #1853828 02/29/12 05:02 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've had success finding the source of a buzz by using a 4 feet length of garden hose with a funnel at one end. By moving the funnel around, and the other end up to your ear, it acts as an unidirectional microphone. Sounds crazy, but it works. Check hinge pins too, they can rattle.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
Anne Francis #1853842 02/29/12 05:34 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Another good trick is to use a long handled screwdriver .... Press the handle into your ear and use the end to probe where the elusive sound is coming from.

Concert Tuner & Technician for the past 52 years in the United Kingdom
www.jphillipspianoservices.freeindex.co.uk : E-mail jophillips06@aol.com
Anne Francis #1853981 02/29/12 11:04 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Great advice above. If all else fails, here is a funny story for you. About 35 years ago, I was the technician for 3 or 4 stores all at the same time, in Grand Rapids. One of them sold the "Grand" brand name. NOT grand pianos but the piano with the name "Grand piano" on it. Yeah, I know, wonderful piano..... frown Well, one of these pianos had a buzz that I could not find for anything. I looked at and checked everything that I could think of but still, the buzz remained.

One day, I called my dad who was still servicing pianos full time too and the two of us went over there together. We looked and we looked. We made it buzz while the other person listened and vice versa. Still, we could not find the source of the buzz. The customer was not home either by the way.

Out of the clear blue, my dad picked up the piano, stood straight up with it and let it go!!!! WHAMMMM onto the floor it went. Surprised, actually, scared the crap out of me! I said, what you do dat for??? He said, is the buzz gone now? By golly if it was!!! It never returned either!

He said, I suspected something was lodged somewhere in there, behind the plate oro some other place where we could not see or get at it and if it was, then I was hoping this might knock it loose and out of there as a last resort.

While I don't condone that sort of thing, really....... it did work! haha.! I tuned that piano for many years after that with no further buzzing....

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
Anne Francis #1853989 02/29/12 11:26 PM
I saw a new one recently The tuning hammer left on the tuning pin was making a buzz. Looked EVERYWHERE before finding that one

Anne Francis #1854006 03/01/12 12:15 AM
What they all said...

And based on what you said about three consecutive notes, I'd guess the noise is coming from the piano, not the room. If all else fails, you could temporarily move the piano out of the room, and - if the buzz is still there - scientifically eliminate the room as a possibility.

On my frequent problem list: any and all cabinet hardware; back action screws/damper stop rail screws; locks; sostenuto screws and hardware. Another trick I've learned is to experiment by pulling the action out slightly towards the player position which will change the strike point of the offensive buzzing notes - sometimes this will focus and intensify the sound which in turn can be helpful in a quicker discovery of the source. And if possible have someone else bang on the notes that buzz while you search...

Keyboardist & Composer, Piano Technician
www.jamescarney.net
http://jamescarneypianotuning.wordpress.com/
Anne Francis #1854008 03/01/12 12:26 AM
Hi Anne,

Last week I found a nasty buzz in a Young Chang grand.
I believed it came from the string bridge terminations
so I worked on the strings, bridge pins, voicing,
hammer mating etc. with no luck.

I crawled under the piano and tightened a soundboard button
and that was the problem.

Jack Houweling
604 970-3371
www.Jackspiano.com

Jack Houweling
www.Jackspiano.com
604 970-3371
Anne Francis #1854044 03/01/12 02:51 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I suppose the reason is a little buzz foreign metallic object fell down on the soundboard. With the help of a magnet it's can be removed. Firstly magnet necessary to take and bring down (under soundboard), and then move it.

Last edited by Maximillyan; 03/01/12 02:53 AM.
Anne Francis #1857145 03/06/12 12:22 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi again, thanks for all these responses. I have been in email contact with the customer, suggesting things she can easily try (like tightening soundboard buttons, which I didn't think of). I did tighten all the screws I could see or think of in the action and back action and all the hardware on the piano, though it's possible I missed something due to lack of experience... and I did not actually manipulate the lid hinge pins--though I noticed they had bits of rubber hose on them to protect the finish so it's hard to imagine they would cause a buzz. James, thank you for validating my feeling that the noise is coming from the piano and not the room (though I would much rather it was the room so I would look less bad!!) I did have the customer playing the notes while I looked, and I have told her to do that too. I didn't try moving the action slightly, but if I have to go back there I will...

Anne Francis
Piano Tuner-Technician

Anne Francis #1857380 03/06/12 06:43 PM
Anne,

I would revisit the loose bridge pin idea, especially since you have 3 consecutive notes in the octave 4-5 area buzzing. Living in the desert, I see this problem far too frequently. Tapping the pins rarely has any effect for me, because it's not that the pin isn't driven in far enough, but that the hole in the wood surrounding the pin just isn't tight like it was in the factory.

I've cured this issue a number of times by carefully applying a small amount of very thin CA glue to the base of all the bridge pins in the problem area. The glue wicks into the wood surrounding the pins, causing the fibers to expand to form a tight grip on the pin (same idea as doing CA on the tuning pins).

It only takes a few minutes to apply the CA, and I've found that it's good to wait about 20 minutes before testing to see if the buzz is gone.

If you do end up eliminating the buzz, I hope you will post to let us know the results.

Anne Francis #1866091 03/21/12 04:30 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi Mark, thanks so much for this advice... I haven't been monitoring this as closely lately. Another mentor suggested looking at the bridge terminations again also. I am quite familiar with CA glue for tuning pins so I will definitely consider that... I have a list now of all the suggestions I haven't tried yet.

Would you suggest tapping the string down first? I haven't done this because I am not sure how comfortable I am doing this... I recall Roger Jolly putting the fear of god into us at a MARC class a few years ago on this subject...

Mark, I was in your business tips class in KC last summer. It was very helpful!

Anne Francis
Piano Tuner-Technician

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
iPad pro (2020) MIDI Output not consistent
by Almar - 01/18/21 05:33 AM
used Kawai RX-1 or new Kawai GL-30?
by Guido, Roma - Italy - 01/18/21 05:23 AM
Roland F701 vs FP-90X (?)
by Mulberg - 01/18/21 02:17 AM
Garritan CFX, Sustain Release Samples ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/17/21 11:18 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,350
Posts3,048,280
Members100,102
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission