2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 11 invisible), 2,080 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Card Offline OP
OP Offline
Just wanted to let everyone know that Jim Laabs Music (online and in Wisconsin) advertises used Estonias but when I called he said that they are new and that he has to say they are used because it against Estonia dealership rules to sell to anyone that is within another Estonia dealer's area. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone looking for used Estonias. What a terrible way to start a relationship with a dealer frown

Proud new owner of a 2000 Boston GP-163 w/QRS 2000CD+
J
J
Originally posted by Card:
Just wanted to let everyone know that Jim Laabs Music (online and in Wisconsin) advertises used Estonias but when I called he said that they are new and that he has to say they are used because it against Estonia dealership rules to sell to anyone that is within another Estonia dealer's area. Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone looking for used Estonias. What a terrible way to start a relationship with a dealer frown
If they are new, and Estonia won't allow a dealer to sell new pianos in another dealer's area, then how is Jim Laabs Music getting these pianos? Given the high demand for Estonia pianos, I have serious doubts that authorized dealers are unable to sell all the inventory they get, and hence are unlikely to sell new pianos to/through unauthorized dealers.

Something here doesn't make sense, at least to me...

Card Offline OP
OP Offline
He flat out told me that the used Estonia piano he advertises on his website is new. The whys and wherefores are a mute point to me. I simply called because I was interested in a USED Estonia (budget reasons).

It's been a weird journey for me. Last week I emailed a guy a question on his Yamaha he had for sale in the Akron paper and he sent me pictures of it. I was on ebay and lo and behold there were the same pictures, including the serial # picture, on an auction where the same model piano was for sale at $10,000 more and from a different person entirely! This Akron guy just copied the description and pics. He never even had the piano. He kept asking for my name and address and he would set up a transaction using Square Trade. Obviously, I could tell it was a scam. He happened to be in the U.K. "on business" so he couldn't call me (first clue). I couldn't come and see the piano since his wife was all alone (second clue), the price was too good to be true (actually this was the first clue) and the serial# was the same as another piano I just happened to see elsewhere). Argh!!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Yikes that sounds weird, like Joe I wonder where the new Estonia's are coming from too! Sorry you have to deal with scamsters. Unfortunately that seems to be all too common these days.

Here's a rather interesting thread found on another piano board about Estonia as well:
http://www.armleg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1025&mforum=pianosinc

Card Offline OP
OP Offline
By the way, his email is paulyamahapiano@googlemail.com and his "name" is Paul Cotrone.

My last email to him was that I was sorry he felt he had to steal people's money and that it must be miserable to not love yourself. I never heard back from him, wonder why.

Card Offline OP
OP Offline
mamma2my3sons,
I think he is an Estonia dealer. He asked if I lived near an Estonia dealer and I said yes so he said he couldn't sell me a new piano, but I was calling on the used piano. I think it is his way of getting people to call and if they don't live near an Estonia dealer then to sell them a new Estonia. That is the impression I got.

Oh well. I'm a little disenchanted with the piano search right now so sorry if any of this comes across kinda crabby. smile

Card Offline OP
OP Offline
I think I'm just going to buy a Casio smile

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
No, don't do that. Somebody call the piano police. NOW!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Edit

[Linked Image]
ftp Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wouldn't the dealer only need one Estonia in order to catch people's attention? Use Estonia to get you in the store in the hopes of selling you something else.

M
M
I guess some dealers of Estonia feel that their market is too small and want a piece of the action in other cities and that is why he did what he did...not right but typical of the piano industry....another reason is that the industry has changed since the web..before you would go to your local dealer and buy a piano, now you might call someone in another country to see if you are getting a good deal and then the dealer will undercut by $1000 and everyone loses...too bad he has to act like that! Indrek would not approve

Play a piano then make your decision. Every salesman will tell you how bad everyone elses piano is, so hands on is the only way to go
M
M
by the way another way to voice your concerns is to email estonia pianos directly and let them handle it

Play a piano then make your decision. Every salesman will tell you how bad everyone elses piano is, so hands on is the only way to go
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Are their a number of different piano dealers in your area? I would try to stay with someone fairly local, and well established. It's a lot easier to get any kind of service out of a dealer if they're close by, which may become an issue no matter what piano you choose. The online piano sellers seem to have a rather high incidence of being deceptive, or unresponsive to service concerns of their pianos. Is the choice exclusively to this piano maker? Brand new pianos can vary so much from one to the next (even on the same model) it really takes looking at it in person, to make an informed choice, let alone the potential differences in a used piano.

Sorry to hear of the negative experiences you've had, just be thankful you didn't give them any of your money!

Rich Lindahl
Piano Restorations in Central CT
www.rivervalleypiano.com
Obviously, Estonia won't allow one dealer to advertise in another's territory. The dealer signs a contract to that effect. However, the contact doesn't include used pianos. He's really fishing for new piano customers, but can only do so with the "used" approach. As we can all see, it just tics people off.

Clint Tucker, Piano Retailer For Almost Thirty Years(OMG). Yamaha and Pramberger

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission