2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Info on composing and creating the score: This set of 21 short piano pieces was composed in a matter of days, in early July. The (mechanical then) recordings were taken by artist Piero Pierini, who also got the drafts of the scores and he created 21 illustrations corresponding to each piece. I must admit that he did a fabulous job, considering that the titles were somewhat weird to begin with... A dear friend and wonderful piano teacher added fingering (since I was unable to do so, not only due to extremely heavy workload, but also because of my belief that I would do a poor job putting MY fingerings (with my big hands and all) on MY works).

Technical info: These short works all range from very easy and very short (Quicky is only 10 secs and 8 bars long) to intermediate difficulty and medium length with a few being a bit more difficult than others. Each one offers a glimpse to a different harmonic idea and musicality, but the form and rhythmic material is always clear.

Following is a recording made by me of 3/21 of the pieces; VI, VII, VIII titled Ditsotred romance, The pride of the moron and Ooooooobsessions bbbbbbbsessions sessions. The recording was created with the use of computer samples, but no editing took place after the live recording of the performance of these works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeTFz-6G-SY

The Editions Musica Ferrum page has two more pages as previews of the score. You can also buy the score from that page, by clicking to 'add to cart' and then proceeding to the checkout, etc...

Regards,

Nikolas Sideris

PS. The initial image is taken from Cirque du Rien in the score.

Last edited by Nikolas; 02/22/12 07:43 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I saw these the other day, they look really cool and I've already ordered my copy!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Very fine, Nikolas.

Potentially this would fit in with exactly the kind of ear training I have been working on, moving from the most dissonant intervals to the most consonant ones.

The second one seems especially practical for students who are not too advanced.

Cool illustrations...

O
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
O
"Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."

Nicholas, this quote came to mind as I looked over the links you shared. Yours is a unique book that doesn't look anything like the type of music books I see in local stores. I like that you have paired an intriguing illustration with each piece.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hi Nikolas,

Will Ed. Musicum Ferrum have a display at Musikmesse this year? If you catch my drift.

John

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Hey all,

I'll start from bottom to top.

John: The EMF will not have a display this year, but perhaps next yeat (if all goes well). We do have hopes to exhibit in other shows as well (WOMEX comes in mind right now...). Now... me getting to frankfurt is much more probable though. But as I've told you, I've still got plenty of time to book the flying tickets and all that. Promise to keep you updated though. smile

Ann:

This set came as a complete surpise for me. A student was complaining with me putting some Beyer in front, so I gave her a short work of 8 bars (called 'quicky' in the book). She loved it and I thought that I could perhaps carry on like that. On 3 days I had done 20/21 of the short works...

Then came the titles. Initially I was looking for a story teller to add a story, but that came too difficult to come, thus I turned into looking for an illustrator and adding my own completely bizare titles! The results can be seen in the book! laugh

Gary: Thanks. There are more, easier works than the ones in youtube (the website has a preview of the first one called 'Chinese jungle' which you can check out. VERY easy to play). Ear training. 'Pride of the moron' is one of my favorites from the set, and it's actually rather 12-tone-ish... The main melody does contain all 12 pitches, so even with the right hand playing and very peristent patterns, my students had some trouble learning that (though they did love it). wink

Kreisler: Thank you, and thanks for ordering. You are the first US customer btw! laugh I'm looking forward in hearing your impressions!

Everyone.

Something important that came to my attention:

1. The prices in $ are approximate 16$ for the book and 5$ for shipping fees (more or less anyhow).
2. Our website IS secure. You can check that in the checkout and cart pages the address changes to http[s] (not the normal http, and in Chrome it should be green, which means that all is ok). The whole website holds an SSL certificate which encrypts all information to 256-bit code... Very difficult to crack!
3. That said, keep in mind that in our website you do not give credit card details, but just your name and address. The payment takes place in paypal.com which is as secure as it gets!

I'm hoping that this will calm any worries you may have, but if not I'm here to reply to any questions...

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Nikolas, I'm cash-strapped right now but I will definitely order when I can! I love new music and promoting living composers.

Pianist and teacher with a 5'8" Baldwin R and Clavi CLP-230 at home.

New website up: http://www.studioplumpiano.com. Also on Twitter @QQitsMina
B
B
Best of luck with this collection, Nikolas - looks like like it should be a lot of fun, and the presentation is enviable, to say the least wink

Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I hope do Ben! When I decided to hit the publisher I had very specific ideas about the works I wanted to promote/publish and the way to present them! I find notating to be an art and as such scores are ... art items on their own! With that in mind I wanted this score to be beautiful in its own way and I found Piero who stood up to the challenge and did a brilliant work!

very very cool.. I'll order one. (I'm leaving for vacay but will do so when i return.. I also liked Perniciosus

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
T
T
I just ordered a copy. It looks interesting. I'm always on the lookout for new pieces for my students. The problem of boredom and apathy is constant in my experience. Thanks for your contribution to the literature!

Tavner
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
apple*: Thank you for your post and for enjoying this set!

Tavner: Thanks. I agree (not on the 'looks interesting' part. That would be weird on my behalf! :D) that boredom and apathy are two problems that could be solved with new repertoire!

I was hoping that I would be able to produce another youtube video with 3 more pieces from the set, but illness has kept me inside sadly! frown Hope to be able and pull myself together the next week!

i hope you bump this again in a couple weeks.. i am worried about shipping while we are gone. i love love the illustrations and novelty of the music i was able to listen to.

Hope you feel better!

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
A bump to showcase three more pieces from the set. Same situation as before (me playing, samples but not edited (after all they are easy pieces) and illustrations by Piero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tMBOVFIMx8

I hope to make more videos with more of these once I find some time...

I enjoyed the youtube previews and I love the presentation -- what great illustrations! I'm ordering a copy now.

I'm glad you bumped this thread or I probably would have missed it. Maybe you should also post it in the Adult Beginners' Forum; I think people there might be interested in something like this. smile

Yamaha Arius YDP-161
Riga upright acoustic

Bach Prelude in C (BWV 846)
Petzold Minuet in G minor (BWV Anh 115)
Beethoven Moonlight Sonata, first movement
Satie Gymnopedie N. 1
Working on: Re-establishing the basics and re-learning the pieces I used to know
Nikolas Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by thurisaz
I'm glad you bumped this thread or I probably would have missed it. Maybe you should also post it in the Adult Beginners' Forum; I think people there might be interested in something like this. smile
Thanks...

I'm not too sure on how much I can stretch the 'rules' of the forums. I know that cross posting is not exactly looking nice on the mods, but perhaps they won't mind?

Kreisler? Someone else?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Nikolas, considering the many useful and helpful posts you've made over the past 5 years, I doubt folks would be upset learning about your new music.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
I would think it would be OK (but I'm new here...). I was looking around last week for some intermediate level arrangements of modern music, so I'm really happy to have found this. I think there are people who don't really venture out of ABF too much but might also like your work.

Yamaha Arius YDP-161
Riga upright acoustic

Bach Prelude in C (BWV 846)
Petzold Minuet in G minor (BWV Anh 115)
Beethoven Moonlight Sonata, first movement
Satie Gymnopedie N. 1
Working on: Re-establishing the basics and re-learning the pieces I used to know
I'm only involved with the Pianists' Corner, but personally, I don't see a problem with it.

Originally Posted by Nikolas
Originally Posted by thurisaz
Thanks...

I'm not too sure on how much I can stretch the 'rules' of the forums. I know that cross posting is not exactly looking nice on the mods, but perhaps they won't mind?

Kreisler? Someone else?

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I listened to a few of the pieces, and just ordered a copy!

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission