Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
123 registered members (AssociateX, A Guy, akressevich, 90125, anotherscott, AlienObs, Alex Hutor, 7uturu, 28 invisible), 1,378 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: NOOOOO! [Re: lilylady] #1847079
02/18/12 12:02 AM
02/18/12 12:02 AM
Canada
T
tdow Offline
tdow  Offline
T

Canada
Originally Posted by lilylady
"When I assign them a piece"

What is this? Are you teaching the same piece to two sisters at the same time?

I agree with the above suggestion that it is time to teach them separately AND with no mom present.

And I'll add - two separate courses. They should not be playing the same pieces at the same time.

I'll bet that it will solve the problem. Make it a big deal, like it is time now for your special lessons all by yourself!

I agree 100%. I think you're dealing with an extreme case of someone who is wanting individual attention. They're certainly getting your attention...but I think that having one-on-one time with you is what's needed. No mom in the room, no sister. It's less rewarding to cause a scene for just one person and I bet they won't even try.

Piano Teaching Resources with Personality
www.teachpianotoday.com
http://www.pianogeekweek.com
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: NOOOOO! [Re: Barb860] #1847099
02/18/12 12:59 AM
02/18/12 12:59 AM
UK
Nikolas Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Nikolas  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

UK
Originally Posted by Barb860
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad
Is this a case where mom/dad in the room might do wonders for the behavior?

Mom sits in on all lessons......sigh.....
Heh... I think that this might be the problem. The kids are all too used in treating the mom badly and you get caught up in this.

throw the mom out and this should solve itself.

And if I may note that I'm currently ALSO teaching at home, where my older son (aged 8) is very persistent in staying with me on the lessons: I've never let him. He can still hear what we're doing, but under no circumstances he's allowed to interfere! He simply doesn't have this right!

Re: NOOOOO! [Re: Luke in ChiTown] #1847110
02/18/12 01:37 AM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
Originally Posted by Luke in ChiTown
While it is almost always better to have the parent sitting in on the lesson, I agree that should do a trial with just one child at a time and no parent.

I strongly disagree that it is almost always better to have the parent sitting in on the lesson unless the children are very young and I am teaching the parent how to teach the child. And I do this with children under seven, until they reach a point at which the parent can no longer follow what we are doing. smile

Piano Teacher
Re: NOOOOO! [Re: AZNpiano] #1847111
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

Some parents have absolutely no control over their kids. I knew that when I was 8. Teaching in public schools has confirmed that fact many times over.

Sometimes the teacher just has to step up and be the parent, at least during the lesson.

ABSOLUTELY true.

Piano Teacher
Re: NOOOOO! [Re: btb] #1847113
02/18/12 01:42 AM
02/18/12 01:42 AM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
Originally Posted by btb
NOOOOO!!! This issue is frequently raised ... all children appear to happily advance in progress over the opening lessons ...
however, it’s sight-reading (the inability to master) which unfortunately gums up the works .

As suggested by some, a menu of keyboard music which the pupil LIKES can help bridge the negative reactions in under-tens.

1) You can give people music "they like", but if they can't play that music, they will be just as frustrated, maybe more so.
2) Yes, inability to sight-read gums up the works, for all the people who really want to read written music. But in my opinion more than 50 percent of the time reading-weaknesses are directly caused by poor teaching. Thus the horror stories we hear again and again about transfer students.

Piano Teacher
Re: NOOOOO! [Re: Barb860] #1847324
02/18/12 02:03 PM
02/18/12 02:03 PM
P
pianolady14 Offline
pianolady14  Offline
P

I agree that it's time for Mom to find something else to do during lessons. I have a young student with some type of anxiety disorder, according to Mom. Mom was very uneasy about letting him take lessons, so she sat in on the first few. At the first lesson, he started crying and began to pull his hair out. (Literally -- he has a bald spot.) In short, a total meltdown. Mom rushed over to the piano, hugged him, and fussed for a few minutes. This was a pretty typical lesson. Then came the day Mom couldn't make it. He started up with the routine, and I said (kindly), "Let me know when you're done and we'll start back up." I picked up a book and pretended to read. After about two minutes, complete with many sidelong glances at me, he said, "OK, I'm done now," and we continued on. Next week when Mom was there, it all started up again. When I suggested to Mom that he might do better one-on-one, she was aghast but agreed. I recorded a lesson, and when she watched the video she couldn't believe it. However, she doesn't make the connection that her response aggravates the situation. Recently he played in a community recital and played beautifully, with no problems at all. Afterwards, he came up to me and said, "I told Mom to sit in the back."

Piano teacher since 1995
Re: NOOOOO! [Re: pianolady14] #1847336
02/18/12 02:26 PM
02/18/12 02:26 PM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
Originally Posted by pianolady14
I agree that it's time for Mom to find something else to do during lessons. I have a young student with some type of anxiety disorder, according to Mom. Mom was very uneasy about letting him take lessons, so she sat in on the first few. At the first lesson, he started crying and began to pull his hair out. (Literally -- he has a bald spot.) In short, a total meltdown. Mom rushed over to the piano, hugged him, and fussed for a few minutes. This was a pretty typical lesson. Then came the day Mom couldn't make it. He started up with the routine, and I said (kindly), "Let me know when you're done and we'll start back up." I picked up a book and pretended to read. After about two minutes, complete with many sidelong glances at me, he said, "OK, I'm done now," and we continued on. Next week when Mom was there, it all started up again. When I suggested to Mom that he might do better one-on-one, she was aghast but agreed. I recorded a lesson, and when she watched the video she couldn't believe it. However, she doesn't make the connection that her response aggravates the situation. Recently he played in a community recital and played beautifully, with no problems at all. Afterwards, he came up to me and said, "I told Mom to sit in the back."

Another example of where *WE* have to step in and be parents.

It happens a lot. frown

Piano Teacher
Re: NOOOOO! [Re: Minniemay] #1847419
02/18/12 04:52 PM
02/18/12 04:52 PM
Florida
P
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member
piano joy  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Florida
Originally Posted by Minniemay
When they are in your studio, they are on your turf, therefore you are the authority figure that sets the rules. You cannot rely on the parent because, at that point, you would be pitting two authority figures against each other. One person in charge at any given time and during the lesson, you're it.

As a parent, I agree. During a lesson (of any kind), the lesson-giver is "the boss" .
During a sporting event, the coach is "the boss".
At school, the teacher is "the boss".
At home, * I * am the boss. (well, hubby has input... ha )

Do not be afraid, take charge!

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

Re: NOOOOO! [Re: Gary D.] #1847701
02/19/12 08:10 AM
02/19/12 08:10 AM
Here, as opposed to there
stores Offline
6000 Post Club Member
stores  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Here, as opposed to there
Originally Posted by Gary D.
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

Some parents have absolutely no control over their kids. I knew that when I was 8. Teaching in public schools has confirmed that fact many times over.

Sometimes the teacher just has to step up and be the parent, at least during the lesson.

ABSOLUTELY true.

Nope. Sorry, but I'm not being paid to be anyone's parent. I'd have to charge far more than I do now were that the case. Parents are welcome to sit in on lessons, if they like (though I don't have any that do these days), but I have no problem kicking the parent out, if they're creating noise of any kind. If your child is unruly and doesn't respond to me then off you go until you're able to behave appropriately.

"And if we look at the works of J.S. Bach — a benevolent god to which all musicians should offer a prayer to defend themselves against mediocrity... -Debussy

"It's ok if you disagree with me. I can't force you to be right."

♪ ≠ $

Re: NOOOOO! [Re: Barb860] #1847902
02/19/12 03:48 PM
02/19/12 03:48 PM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
Glad you putting your foot down worked, Barb. I highly recommend that whenever a teacher is trying to establish rules and set a pattern of behavior (or change one), that they come out at the beginning of the lesson before any behavior they establish their routine and tell them what the rules are and what the consequences will be should those rules be broken. Always be sure the consequences match the severity of the infraction, and maybe with young ones you can "remind" them of the rules before immediately enforcing them so that they are learning to monitor their own behavior.

As far as comments about this being the "parent" or "babysitter", it is nothing of the sort. It's called being the adult. You are not responsible for the child's behavior, but if you want to continue to teach them and make money and not have a dreading feeling every time they walk in the door, you can either do something about it or not. If not, you should refer them to someone else and lose that student. It's a choice, but by no means does it make one a babysitter to do so.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: NOOOOO! [Re: stores] #1847924
02/19/12 04:32 PM
02/19/12 04:32 PM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
Originally Posted by stores

Nope. Sorry, but I'm not being paid to be anyone's parent. I'd have to charge far more than I do now were that the case. Parents are welcome to sit in on lessons, if they like (though I don't have any that do these days), but I have no problem kicking the parent out, if they're creating noise of any kind. If your child is unruly and doesn't respond to me then off you go until you're able to behave appropriately.

If you have to kick a parent out, you will be undoing the results of poor parenting in the lesson. You call what you are going in such a situation anything you want, but there is retraining involved in many such situations.

Regardless, I also have no trouble kicking an interfering or enabling parent out, and if I continue to get resistance from such a parent, I end the lessons. But I do find this painful when I like the child and the child, when left alone with me, is doing well.

Piano Teacher
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Music on i_heart_radio
by Handyman. 01/16/19 04:54 PM
How do you upload mp3 files?
by Vilhelm Moqvist. 01/16/19 04:17 PM
DGX-660 And Recording Vocal Track
by ndmuscutt. 01/16/19 03:56 PM
Yamaha CFX and Liszt Sonata in B minor
by Rich Galassini. 01/16/19 02:18 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,610
Posts2,782,520
Members92,127
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission