Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
98 registered members (bennevis, Amedeus, 8ude, Bluegrassdog, anamnesis, BethRH, Animisha, ajames, AnnInMiami, anotherscott, 21 invisible), 1,721 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 154 of 227 1 2 152 153 154 155 156 226 227
Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: chrisbell] #1845407
02/15/12 04:58 PM
02/15/12 04:58 PM
So. California
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
jazzwee  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
So. California
Originally Posted by chrisbell
I preferred the first one.
I think your issue is rhythm. Not tones, scales, note choices . . . but rhythm.
I feel that you have a tendency to push your inner rhythm to hard; sometimes it's the LH sometimes its the RH. By overemphasising the beat, you loose a relaxedness. But sometimes it's there.
Also, I think you could use repetition much more, no need to play new stuff all the time, but stay within the pocket.

Now isn't that interesting. This is the kind of response I've heard from my teachers. Exactly what they would say.

So this one I agree! Of course I didn't play this in time though so I was trying to escape the judgement of rhythm when I did it.

But playing out of time allowed me to loosen up harmonically though.

Jazz is hard...

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1845408
02/15/12 04:59 PM
02/15/12 04:59 PM
Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
knotty Offline
3000 Post Club Member
knotty  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Bethesda, MD (Washington D.C)
>>I think your issue is rhythm. Not tones, scales, note choices . . . but rhythm.
+1

That was nice playing though. Nicer than with the iphone app.

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: knotty] #1845411
02/15/12 05:03 PM
02/15/12 05:03 PM
Stockholm, Sweden
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member
chrisbell  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by knotty
That was nice playing though. Nicer than with the iphone app.

I agree

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1845454
02/15/12 05:53 PM
Lower Mainland, BC
scepticalforumguy Offline
1000 Post Club Member
scepticalforumguy  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Lower Mainland, BC
Originally Posted by jazzwee
I'm a glutton for punishment so here's a set of Stella excerpts I posted somewhere else to show the different Nord Piano samples. This was a couple of months ago.

Stella Excerpts
http://www.box.com/s/3uc0ayheil0hprny1tnb

This is solo piano and not in time. And you see me create 4 variances and notice harmonically they sound the same. Like I'm always making the same harmonic choices (which someone will disagree with). But it just indicates that I approached it a particular way that's consistent.

Ok. I've said this before, so it's a bit repetitive...
Your leaps (arpeggiated things) detract from the other melodic stuff that is happening. On these excerpts you're showing that you can move step-wise in within the diatonic scale, which is good. This is what your teachers are also seeing. The other stuff though, the stuff that started this whole mess of dialogue, is that you're introducing elements that are grating to the ears. To be fair there aren't many of them, but when they occur I'm not convinced that they are something anyone would say are good harmonic choices, whether they are justified by your account of extended harmonic structures, or whatever. What they sound like to me are simply mistakes.

So, the step-wise is fine. Some of it quite nice, really. But some of the leaps just don't work. The thing is, it's sometimes a case of one or two notes either at the beginning, within, or at the end of the arpeggiation, but the rest might be fine. In any case, the end result is an unmusical line.

One thing that also may help is to get your left hand involved in your extensions more. It sounds like a disconnect between what you may have intended and what actually came out. This happens to me all the time, especially with leaps. This is because to hear these things in real time can be challenging; far moreso than hearing stepwise motion.

We're full circle here, JW. You either dig in and say that everything you've played, especially the leaps, were absolutely intended, or you listen with someone elses ears for a bit and try to understand what it is that YOU said was bothering YOU when you began this whole mess.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1845455
So. California
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
jazzwee  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
So. California
Thanks guys. I was trying Footprints solo piano yesterday on the Grand and I was actually surprised at how well it comes out. Particularly with those "different" harmonies I outline.

Don't you think even my phrasing and note choices change in solo piano? It probably indicates that some parts of what I do aren't fully developed yet when subjected to the rigor of a time fixed form. My attention is someplace else.

My Jazz Blog

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1845461
02/15/12 06:00 PM
02/15/12 06:00 PM
So. California
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
jazzwee  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
So. California
Scep, I was bothered with the leaps. This was recorded a couple of months ago before I became super conscious of them. And that is a specific that I can relate to.

I think some of the leaps were automatic reactions that I strive to correct. So that's fine. When a leap doesn't have intent, then it sounds contrived, I find.

So where is the comment though about I'm out of harmony? Etc.

Repetition, building on an idea, etc. I acknowledge completely. But these are not "harmonic" issues. I just want to want to delve into the specific instead of "you suck at everything -- go back to basics" discussion, which is why I rant.

My Jazz Blog

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: scepticalforumguy] #1845471
02/15/12 06:07 PM
02/15/12 06:07 PM
So. California
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
jazzwee  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
So. California
Originally Posted by scepticalforumguy
The other stuff though, the stuff that started this whole mess of dialogue, is that you're introducing elements that are grating to the ears. To be fair there aren't many of them, but when they occur I'm not convinced that they are something anyone would say are good harmonic choices, whether they are justified by your account of extended harmonic structures, or whatever. What they sound like to me are simply mistakes.

Some leaps, I don't like. But elements "grating" to your ears relate to the jagged intervals of "intervallic" playing that are part of what I do. So it's part of a specific influence I have. Thus they are not mistakes. But if I do it once then move on, they I didn't believe in it enough. Otherwise I would have repeated it.

If I were to do it differently, I'd repeat those. And make them a motif. That would really grate on your "structure".

As I said earlier, I'm not believing in my wrongness as much as in my lack of conviction and that is percieved as a mistake.

My Jazz Blog

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1845540
02/15/12 07:56 PM
02/15/12 07:56 PM
So. California
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
jazzwee  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
So. California
Here's something I made a long time ago (sometime last year). Harmonically and melodically, it's pretty traditional. I don't recall if Scep and Scott listened to it. I don't particularly remember any comments.

Body and Soul
http://www.box.com/s/st2kadn7833h8h0m0z7l

My Jazz Blog

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1845572
02/15/12 08:35 PM
02/15/12 08:35 PM
Lower Mainland, BC
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lower Mainland, BC

Repetition, building on an idea, etc. I acknowledge completely. But these are not "harmonic" issues. I just want to want to delve into the specific instead of "you suck at everything -- go back to basics" discussion, which is why I rant.

Who said you suck at everything? Basics are always worth revisiting, especially within a solo. So unless the basics are there underlying everything else, then it is hard to justify anything else.
I think you misinterpreted what going back to the basics means and why I'd recommend that everyone does it. When I hear something decent I'm not going to say otherwise. When I hear something weird, I'll either not say anything, or...

So, if we both agree that the leaps were a bit weird you need to look back at everything I wrote and try to understand what I meant again. Basic melodic structures still have to be in place, and especially so for any leaps, regardless if you're outlining 9s or 11s or whatevers, there will be intervals that ought to follow other intervals, and some that should probably be avoided (rather than sought out), at least until one knows how to get around the hard bits.

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1845578
02/15/12 08:43 PM
02/15/12 08:43 PM
So. California
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
jazzwee  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
So. California
I have no problem with that comment Scep.

but do give a listen to Body and Soul. I'm interested in what you think of it. (last year's rhythmic problems aside)

Last edited by jazzwee; 02/15/12 08:45 PM.

My Jazz Blog

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1845583
02/15/12 08:53 PM
02/15/12 08:53 PM
Lower Mainland, BC
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lower Mainland, BC
The other stuff though, the stuff that started this whole mess of dialogue, is that you're introducing elements that are grating to the ears. To be fair there aren't many of them, but when they occur I'm not convinced that they are something anyone would say are good harmonic choices, whether they are justified by your account of extended harmonic structures, or whatever. What they sound like to me are simply mistakes.

Some leaps, I don't like. But elements "grating" to your ears relate to the jagged intervals of "intervallic" playing that are part of what I do. So it's part of a specific influence I have. Thus they are not mistakes. But if I do it once then move on, they I didn't believe in it enough. Otherwise I would have repeated it.

If I were to do it differently, I'd repeat those. And make them a motif. That would really grate on your "structure".

As I said earlier, I'm not believing in my wrongness as much as in my lack of conviction and that is percieved as a mistake.

argh. I LIKE modern playing! You seem to say that somehow you've found some magical new way of playing intervals that I haven't been exposed to. Well, I've heard lots and lots of players play weird lines (the ones that grate), but none of them were performing for a living. The ones that play the very modern 'intervallic' playing that I like all sound different than you. I like Alan's playing, but I don't think you sound like him, especially with the intervallic stuff. I like Kenny Werner's stuff, Esborn Svenson (sp), Jessica Williams, Moncef Gounoud (sp), and tonnes of others too... all of whom do intervallic stuff. Seriously, are we going full circle AGAIN?!?!?
There is no belief needed. If it sounded good, it probably was the right choice of notes at the right time. And if you really had intended to play that exact combination of notes there should be no reason why you couldn't do so again, either immediately afterwards, or even later in the same solo.

Stop putting all of my comments together when I'm referring to one specific thing: If you agree that you've played some weird stuff, then we can look at how I think these weird areas came about. If you keep on wanting to say that those weird parts were intentional, but that you only lacked confidence in their execution then you're contradicting yourself. Its one or the other, but it can't be both.

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1845599
02/15/12 09:09 PM
02/15/12 09:09 PM
Lower Mainland, BC
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lower Mainland, BC
1) 1:14 -1:16
2) 1:39
3) 1:45
4) 1:55
6) 2:16- 2:20
7) 2:49
8) 2:55- 2:57
9) 3:01 -3:03

Other than these 9 areas I thought everything else sounded quite nice. At these points though, some for a few seconds, others just a note or two around the time mark, things were not completely melodic. Check them out, try to play them again and let me know if they were intentional. Everything else sounded like you meant it, and that all the 'right' choices were made.
At these areas, though, it seems that you've framed a strange interval, something that wouldn't seem right even if the timing was impeccable (which I wasn't bothered by, by the way).

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: scepticalforumguy] #1845637
02/15/12 09:42 PM
02/15/12 09:42 PM
Chicago
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member
Scott Coletta  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Chicago

Who said you suck at everything? Basics are always worth revisiting, especially within a solo. So unless the basics are there underlying everything else, then it is hard to justify anything else.
I think you misinterpreted what going back to the basics means and why I'd recommend that everyone does it. When I hear something decent I'm not going to say otherwise. When I hear something weird, I'll either not say anything, or...

So, if we both agree that the leaps were a bit weird you need to look back at everything I wrote and try to understand what I meant again. Basic melodic structures still have to be in place, and especially so for any leaps, regardless if you're outlining 9s or 11s or whatevers, there will be intervals that ought to follow other intervals, and some that should probably be avoided (rather than sought out), at least until one knows how to get around the hard bits.

Jazzwee, this is all I've been trying to say too. Of course you don't suck! I'm pretty sure I've made it clear enough that you've got alot going on in your playing that's really impressive. And I also think I've been clear that I don't think your teachers are dumb. That would be pretty ignorant on my part. smile But I also think that the reason we participate in this thread is because we value each others input. And just because something said here doesn't agree with a teacher's evaluation, doesn't mean it's not worth considering. The only reason I say this is because, as I said earlier, I know that I've had several teachers say different things about the same performance. Things that aren't in agreement. Even for the masters, it's not easy to put into words what's going on.

I've just been trying to stress the importance of keeping your feet on the ground and not getting too carried away in all the advanced concepts. When I say I'm not hearing the basics in your playing, I don't mean they aren't there at all. I just think that alot of times you are stretching yourself to try and play stuff that you aren't grasping well enough to pull it off. I know you'll agree with that. And so I think it would be good for you to stick to the basics when you aren't comfortable with advanced stuff. When the basics can be played with complete control and intent, you can begin to build on that solid foundation with more advanced ideas. And it will feel natural, not forced. That's why it's called playing music, not thinking music or figuring music.

I used to try to play advanced stuff all the time too, thinking that I understood the basics. And I did, to some extent. But not enough to be fully in control and play everything intentionally. I was thinking too much and forcing things that I wasn't comfortable with. But as I've been getting better at having control over the basics, it's really changing my comfort level as I play. Less figuring and calculating, more playing!

That's what this is all about. Playing music. I don't stand to gain or lose anything if you accept my viewpoint or not. I'm just passionate about playing music and I enjoy discussing and sharing thoughts about the process of learning with all of you who are equally passionate about it. I think we'll all benefit the most from our exchange here if we avoid taking things personally and ranting. There's nothing worth getting bent out of shape over. As was stated at the start of this thread, we're all learning and none of us are experts. So we all have respect for each other as peers in the pursuit of greater understanding who are all at different stages of development and have different backgrounds and ideas. And we take each others comments at that. But if we aren't willing to seriously consider each others suggestions, there's no point in being here.

Oh, and I'll check out your recordings of Stella and Body And Soul tomorrow. I'm checking out for tonight.

One more thing... you really should check out that Bruce Arnold ear training stuff and let me know how it goes/what you think. smile

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1845683
02/15/12 10:31 PM
02/15/12 10:31 PM
So. California
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
jazzwee  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
So. California
Thanks Scott. It's all good. We're all in sync here (finally).

I had some good practice just now. Bringing back some old lessons in my head. Simplifying lines. Breaking up ideas. Seems to work better with shapes of phrases.

Scep - thanks for the review. I presume those were for Body and Soul? That's another one the teacher reviewed and he focused on one specific area only. He didn't find a problem with anything else.

My Jazz Blog

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: scepticalforumguy] #1845688
02/15/12 10:39 PM
02/15/12 10:39 PM
So. California
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
jazzwee  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
So. California

Just so we're in sync here. You've just marked all the points where I ended the phrase on an extension, which is about as intentional as I can be. I just want to be clear. I will just leave it at that.

My Jazz Blog

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1845752
02/16/12 12:59 AM
02/16/12 12:59 AM
Lower Mainland, BC
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lower Mainland, BC

Just so we're in sync here. You've just marked all the points where I ended the phrase on an extension, which is about as intentional as I can be. I just want to be clear. I will just leave it at that.

You are seriously too much. I guess you've taught me a valuable lesson, JW.

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1845781
02/16/12 02:09 AM
02/16/12 02:09 AM
So. California
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
jazzwee  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
So. California
Have a nice evening Scep smile

My Jazz Blog

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1846017
02/16/12 12:58 PM
02/16/12 12:58 PM
Chicago
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member
Scott Coletta  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Chicago
Here's something I made a long time ago (sometime last year). Harmonically and melodically, it's pretty traditional. I don't recall if Scep and Scott listened to it. I don't particularly remember any comments.

Body and Soul
http://www.box.com/s/st2kadn7833h8h0m0z7l

This is nice jazzwee. And for the most part I'd say it's pretty traditional, but it does have a nice modern twist. smile

I specifically listened to the spots that Scep pointed out, and I do agree about alot of them sounding a little funny. But I'm not sure that the time marking is accurate enough to point anything out. So I went to the piano to find the specific things you played that bothered me. You said that you ended your phrases on extensions at those points, which I see what you're doing in those cases. Like the C at 1:39 that Scep pointed out. It's a 6 on the Ebmin. Listening to it a few times I think it's fine, but at first it did strike me as a little out of context. Which is what I think the issue is overall. It's not that the choices of notes are wrong in the sense that they don't work with the chord/scale. It's more just the context that you use them in.

For example, during 1:43-1:45 there's an idea that goes from Eb up a half step to E, then jumps up a tritone to Bb, goes back down to Gb, and then down a half step to F. All of those notes are fine. But the order is just weird, particularly the jump from E to Bb. And it isn't even that this isn't functionally correct, because in a way it is. But it just seems out of context to stretch the functionality of the notes like this, given the surrounding elements at the time.

Now, I have to say (with no sarcastic or condescending tone smile ), there's no point in coming back with a defensive explanation of why you did this or how this is just an unusual mistake or whatever. It's an example of what I think is a relatively common occurance in your playing and I think Scep is hearing the same general issues. If you don't believe there's anything wrong then fine. We're just offering our viewpoints because that's the reason for being here. But coming back with a reason why our views are invalid just indicates that you don't really want to hear them. So if you really are here to learn, then seriously consider the views that we offer... we're not experts, but we do know some things, as do you smile It will do you no good to believe that you already know what you need to learn and only accept criticism that's in agreement with that belief. Or for that matter, only believe your teacher's criticism. I say all this because it seems that you are generally inclined to react this way and I think it's against the spirit of the thread, and I believe Scep is feeling the same way. And if you think we're continually harping on you about the same problem, you don't have to defend yourself. Just take it for what it is, a suggestion. But don't dismiss the possibility that maybe there is something you're missing. If you at least acknowledge that possibility, it shows good faith and we can leave it alone.

I know that personally, I'm really glad you started this thread and that I found my way here. It's really been alot of fun sharing with you all and I hope to continue. But it gets sour when suggestions that are meant to help are always rejected or explained away as being invalid for some reason. There's just no point in that.

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1846077
02/16/12 02:16 PM
02/16/12 02:16 PM
Stockholm, Sweden
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member
chrisbell  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stockholm, Sweden
As far as discussions go I feel it's getting a little out of hand. There's a lot of words been written (far to many for me - by all) I would rather hear your suggestions, hear your approaches to the tunes being presented. It's music after all, sound waves in the Ether.

I suggest lets pick a tune and we all pitch in . . . pun intended. smile

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1846176
02/16/12 04:29 PM
02/16/12 04:29 PM
So. California
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
jazzwee  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
So. California
It's all good. Let's all be happy.

Hey Scott, listen to this version of Body and Soul.

This what I was trying to copy stylistically (only style -- can't do the 16ths. LOL). There's a reharm in there. I didn't take the whole reharm though because my bass player would get lost. So I only did a portion of the reharm that would stick with the same Bass roots.

The changes I stuck to traditional is played here using Coltrane Changes.

Body and Soul (Alan Pasqua/Peter Erskine/John Carpenter)
http://www.box.com/s/aabnj5urzgxrepnyr1ce

When I play this live, I start to play too many notes from Panic. I wish I can just be as sparse as I was when I did the recording above.

Unfortunately, I couldn't duplicate the Latin double time feel of the rhythm section in iRealB.

Chris can BIAB do that?

My Jazz Blog

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: chrisbell] #1846183
02/16/12 04:36 PM
02/16/12 04:36 PM
Lower Mainland, BC
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Lower Mainland, BC
Originally Posted by chrisbell
As far as discussions go I feel it's getting a little out of hand. There's a lot of words been written (far to many for me - by all) I would rather hear your suggestions, hear your approaches to the tunes being presented. It's music after all, sound waves in the Ether.

I suggest lets pick a tune and we all pitch in . . . pun intended. smile

Hear, hear. Here.

What I'd like to do is actually work on some specific spots of tunes that seem problematic. For instance, its taken me a long time to figure out 'Round Midnight'... not the entire tune, but getting musical ideas around the Bm7 E7 Bbm7 Eb7 to the Abm. Has anyone else found that section to be harder than others? If not, I'd love to hear snippets, say 8 bars around that section.

For me I find the only solution is to really modify the scales and chords, otherwise I tend to hit at least one wrong note that sends me in the wrong direction for a few beats.

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1846184
02/16/12 04:41 PM
02/16/12 04:41 PM
So. California
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
jazzwee  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
So. California
I've been wanting to work on Round Midnight too. I've avoided playing this at a gig because I haven't played it a long time.

My Jazz Blog

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1846192
02/16/12 05:04 PM
02/16/12 05:04 PM
Stockholm, Sweden
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member
chrisbell  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stockholm, Sweden
Hey Scott, listen to this version of Body and Soul. Body and Soul (Alan Pasqua/Peter Erskine/John Carpenter)
http://www.box.com/s/aabnj5urzgxrepnyr1ce
Now this, I don't like. It doesn't touch me anywhere. As much as I respect AP's (not forgetting the other dudes) playing and knowledge (I much prefer his album featuring his own tunes), the harmonies are cool, but . . . why . . ? I don't feel involved, or rather I don't feel invited to the gig.

Though version he plays with his trio on The Cure album is awesome.

Chris can BIAB do that?

Yes, one chooses the d/bl time version.

Last edited by chrisbell; 02/16/12 05:06 PM.
Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1846194
02/16/12 05:05 PM
02/16/12 05:05 PM
Stockholm, Sweden
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member
chrisbell  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stockholm, Sweden
Round Midnight, sort of 8 bars it is.

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1846197
02/16/12 05:11 PM
02/16/12 05:11 PM
So. California
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
jazzwee  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
So. California
Chris, good thing we have different tastes. Life would be boring.

Here's something interesting to compare though. AP is playing this at a lesson solo piano (recorded on my Zoom H4).

Body and Soul (AP)
http://www.box.com/s/rm4h0z5nqccazyu3l56z

My Jazz Blog

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1846249
02/16/12 05:59 PM
02/16/12 05:59 PM
So. California
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
jazzwee  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
So. California
Apparently I hit 6000 posts yesterday and didn't even notice...

My Jazz Blog

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1846301
02/16/12 07:07 PM
02/16/12 07:07 PM
Stockholm, Sweden
chrisbell Offline
1000 Post Club Member
chrisbell  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stockholm, Sweden
Nice! He has great touch.

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1846511
02/17/12 01:13 AM
02/17/12 01:13 AM
So. California
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
jazzwee  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
So. California
I think I'm going to learn how to play Body and Soul solo piano. Looks like a lot to learn here.

My Jazz Blog

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: jazzwee] #1846688
02/17/12 11:41 AM
02/17/12 11:41 AM
Chicago
Scott Coletta Offline
500 Post Club Member
Scott Coletta  Offline
500 Post Club Member
Chicago
Hey everyone, sorry for all the unnecessary heavy words recently. I'm over it now and looking forward to further good discussions. smile

Re: Jazz Study Group 2: Advanced Players [Re: Scott Coletta] #1846746
02/17/12 01:34 PM
02/17/12 01:34 PM
Chicago
J
jjo Offline
500 Post Club Member
jjo  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Chicago
I have a question on how everyone keeps up a repertoire of tunes you play by memory.

This is a troubling area for me, as I played piano using music for 40 years. For the first few years of my jazz study, I played just about everything using a lead sheet. Now I'm making a concerted effort to play most tunes at a gig by memory. It's made a huge difference in my play.

The problem is I've now got 20 or so tunes I know comfortably by memory and I'm trying to add to that. However, if I don't play a tune for a month, I've got to work on it to get it back comfortably in memory. So, I spend a good part of my practice time just running tunes. Mind you, it's fun (and pretty lazy, which suits me), but I'm not really working on stuff other than really getting the changes for a tune down.

Am I just still weak in this area becuase of my years of playing with mjusic, and it's easy for everyone else to keep dozens of tunes at their fingertips?

Page 154 of 227 1 2 152 153 154 155 156 226 227

Moderated by  BB Player 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
P125 --sustain ??
by engineerjoel. 09/24/18 01:27 PM
Jansen vs. Maestro vs. Infinity piano bench?
by Bluegrassdog. 09/24/18 11:55 AM
Minecraft main theme on piano
by pianoten. 09/24/18 11:34 AM
Kawai MP7SE user review
by Steve Rose. 09/24/18 10:38 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,467
Posts2,747,526
Members91,084
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission