2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum Recital #25!!!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital 25 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is appropriate. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital #25 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music! heart

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
#1. Sam- Nicely played Sam!! Hard to believe you have only been playing 15 months. Great feeling for the piece. Your pauses are perfect. (Steal that piano...it has such a nice sound)

#3. Ladypayne- wow, you sound like an orchestra. You really did put a lot of time into this. Well worth it too. what a lot of fun.

Last edited by Peyton; 02/14/12 11:43 PM.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Well, gang, I've done everything I can do until we get the server/software kinks ironed out. Check back tomorrow for the zip files etc. smile

Despite the snags, I have to say that this was yet another wonderful recital. I got to listen to snippets to all of the pieces as I double-checked to make sure the direct links were working, and there is a lot of beautiful music this time. thumb

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Well, I'm going by 5s this time - so here's the first 10 I've listened to. I'm so glad they all got posted this evening, because it's not likely I'll have time at all tomorrow. But these were great, and promise a lot more!

5. Inlanding - Glen - Moonlight Sonata Mvt 1 I love the bass on your piano! You had some very poignant parts, so I think you've laid down a fine base for playing this into the future.

10. Andy Platt - Arabesque No 1 Better. Worse. Yup, I've been there. I didn't know this was going to be this piece, so when I recognized it it made me smile. It was lovely. I admire people who can play pieces like this - definitely not a style I can master. You did great.

15. Little Blue Engine - Martha My Dear What a great piece! I loved all of it - the bass, like a circus laugh , and the whole life of it. Well done!

20. me - Tennessee Waltz My niece said when she heard "Tennessee" she expected it to be red neck (she should know laugh ) but it was actually classy laugh Ah youth.

25. cgyan - Iain - Walz Op 39 No 1 What a treasure! Definitely a dance piece for big hoop skirts and white gloves - ladies and gentlemen!

30. Mile High Steve - Wonderful Peace Beautiful, and played beautifully. Hope to hear you live at the next Denver piano party, and congratulations on your Saturday performance.

40. BillM - Imagine I bet you decided you liked this piece long before I even knew the line "You may say I'm a dreamer - I'm not the only one" came from it laugh My Beatles days were back when they were singing about holding hands. You have a great voice for this, and a great style for it.

45. Yamaha G-3 & P-80 Mike White - Sarabande I love it! It put me right into a cathedral, and you played it perfectly for that space. Terrific!

50. cscl - Invention No. 6 in E This was perfect for my last listening of the night. Very calm but delightful - like a perfect glass of wine after a good dinner.

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hmm. I wonder what pattern Cathy might have chosen? Hmm. wink

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Listened to many of the classical pieces. Hopefully I'll follow up later, but I wanted to share a couple early impressions:

Sam Rose: I loved it. You are already playing better than me, and in less time. I can't wait to hear the ballade.

La Valse: OMG.

Swiss MS: I was really taken with your playing, just exceptional!

RedKat: Excellent and compelling performance of this singular prelude.

Andy: Very tasteful and gorgeous Debussy.

You all inspire me!

Oh, Joangolfing: I loved your Schumann.

I'll have more later.

Wait wait! Iain: Awesome, friend! I love love love those Brahms waltzes, and you are really showing off your mastery in playing a different style.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Sorry -- can't see Online Player. I just see a gray box.

Windows 7 - IE 9.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Sorry -- can't see Online Player. I just see a gray box.

Windows 7 - IE 9.

Streaming player isn't working yet. It should be fixed tomorrow. You can listen using the download links provided with each performance.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $

Gold Supporter until March 1 2014
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
What a great way to start the day!

01. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Nocturne No. 20 in C-sharp minor, Op. posth Sam, I’m not surprised that watching the Pianist inspired you to take up playing. You did a brilliant job on this – I am, like many others, so very impressed with what you are able to do in such a short time! My most sincere compliments.

02. Peyton - Coffee For Breakfast- A Caffeine Fantasia For Piano in Four Parts Peyton, you really have a creative muse in your home, don’t you? I loved the four parts, and as a confirmed morning coffee drinker I could appreciate the accuracy of your portrayals. I can only wonder how many cups you had before performing this! Thoroughly enjoyed it, while sipping on my second cup of the day! Bravo indeed!

03. ladypayne - Canon in D I swear this is my all time favourite piece of music, I’m always delighted to see it in the recital line up. Your own arrangement – with multiple instrumentation – I’m beyond impressed. You really captured the poignant aspects of this piece particularly in transition where it becomes much softer. Thanks for such a wonderful treat!

04. Serge88 - Oh! DarlingSerge, that’s great! I’ve just recently started looking at blues and jazz music so I was especially fascinated to watch your hands and to be able to see what you were doing to get these great sounds rolling out. Beautifully played. Very enjoyable indeed!

05. Inlanding - Glen - Moonlight Sonata Mvt 1 Glen, what can I say – It is always such a pleasure to listen to your playing. I had no idea that Beethoven became fed up with the popularity of this piece! I think you’ve played it extremely well – and the richness of your piano’s voice really suits the drama and delicacy of this piece. There is a bittersweet quality to the music that is very touching – Wonderful, wonderful performance. Complimenti a te Bello!

06. wouter79 - 11 bagatelles (played: 1, 5) I’ve seen the music for these pieces before but this the first time I’ve heard them played. No surprise, after what we’ve heard from you before, that these are beautifully performed pieces and they have a really complimentary contrast of sound and feel. I very much enjoyed listening to your performance!

07. Recaredo (Ricardo) - Minuet in C minor. BWV Anh. 121. Recarado – thank you for sharing such an important piece of music with us. I know that feeling of “oh, I am really playing now!” It is such an exciting moment, and the piece that goes with it remains a favourite in our hearts. I too like Bach very much and I think this piece is a great one to have in your repertoire. I would also say it is a pretty sophisticated effort – Bach is not easy to play! Well done indeed! Complimenti!

08. TrapperJohn - My Foolish Heart Trapper John I always love the background stories you provide with your pieces – I think it really helps to put me in the right frame of mind before settling in to listen. I love that you provide the words too. Your piano has the perfect voice for this type of music – and your performance was pure poetry. Complimenti!

09. Sam S - Impromptu Opus 142 - 2 What fun to have the music to follow along with! Mind you my first response was “Gasp! That looks intimidating!” You made it sound easy – and I can see it isn’t. I’ve never heard the piece before, and very much enjoyed it. I think you did a splendid job.

10. Andy Platt - Arabesque No 1I’ve been looking forward to this since I saw it was on our recital programme! I can well believe this is one that will stay with you! A lot of time and energy had to have gone into the preparation of it. I really enjoyed your performance.

[Linked Image]
18 ABF Recitals, Order of the Red Dot
European Piano Parties - Brussels, Lisbon, Lucern, Milan, Malaga, St. Goar
Themed recitals: Grieg and Great American Songbook

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
....and a great way to continue the day...
As the online streaming isn't available, I am watching the recital videos for the first time! I never realized what I was missing before! it is a real treat to have the extra dimension to enjoy.

Here is my second batch of 10 - congrats to everyone, these are great performances, from all levels!

11. Augustina - Huang Ruo Ru Men What a beautiful piece. You really did an excellent job of keeping it flowing smoothly. I think the little pauses I heard were for the page turning? The photos were a splendid addition and added to my enjoyment of your performance. What a great “package”!

12. BeccaBb - 500 Year Old Melody That’s a very pretty piece Becca – a great first submission to the ABF recitals! Well done, complimenti!

13. beechcraft409 - Raindrop Prelude - Op28 No15 I have no criticism for someone having an error or two in a 7 minute recording! Only admiration for being able to do as well as you did – and from memory too! I really enjoy this piece and I think you have the right to feel pleased with your efforts – It was a pleasure to listen to your performance!

14. (Was)TrueBeginner - Sunrise On a Snowy Day Cool black and white video! What an elegant composition. I could picture a crystal blue sky, brilliant sparkling reflections off of a snow-covered landscape, with blue-grey shadows, and the rosy glow of dawn A piece full of poetry and optimism for the coming day. Enchanting! Complimenti

15. Little_Blue_Engine - Martha My Dear Wow! What a blast! What fun! Great energy and enthusiasm. LOVED IT! I’ve been bouncing about in my seat listening. I didn’t hear it in the PB last year, but this is just great! What a treat!

16. Maechre - Besaid Island [Final Fantasy X: Piano Collections] This is a charming lively piece – your performance is full of energy – you’ve captured a delicate, yet rich sound. Nicely done!

17. Jazzwee - All the Things You Are One take is a brave and smart way to go. I know I’ve done it and felt fine with it, other times I’ve made myself a bit crazy trying to get a “better take”. I’m full of admiration for those who can improvise – especially when they do it as well as you do! I like that you’ve got a “band” along with you – that’s great fun. Most enjoyable!

18. Grouchomarx - Passion I can see why this drew you to playing the piano. I agree with you – the pieces where you have to move around are a real challenge for those of us (well, some of us! ) who’be been playing 3 years or less. I think you’ve done a super job on this, and you’re certainly way ahead of anything I can do – I’m impressed and happy for you! This is a really rich piece and you’ve created drama and stirred emotion – that’s what it is all about, isn’t it?

19. Jazztpt - Dream Another original composition – Wonderful! It sounds very modern – jazzy, oriental even, mysterious - intriguing.

20. jotur - Cathy Turner - Tennessee Waltz Very waltzable indeed. A pleasant whiff of honkey-tonk to this one. I’m tapping my toes as I listen. A little pensive, a little wistful… just as it should be! Most enjoyable! Complimenti Bella!

[Linked Image]

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
#4. Serge, excellent rendition of Oh Darling!! The only thing I'm missing is you going a bit more "forte" as it builds. ...and of course Rickster singing along with you.. smile

#5. Glen, I wanted to do some of these in order and I'm looking at what you are playing and wondering, "do I really want to listen to the Moonlight first thing this morning? I need something a little more 'upbeat'... like 'Oh darling' " But.... what a beautiful job you have done playing it. I agree with what a commenter said on your youtube channel... 'You have really set the bar high....

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
and the next round!

21. PaddyD - I Giorni Only six months playing? Excellent performance. Good for you. You’re developing a very good touch and you clearly have great coordination. Beautifully played. Complimenti!

22. MaryBee - Sonata No.8 "Pathetique", Mvt.2 I’ve been looking forward to this! This is charmingly played – and definitely musical. Wonderful dynamics – cresendos and diminuendos really rounding out the whole piece beautifully. You are really taking on some wonderful pieces lately and doing so well with them – how satisfying for you – and what a pleasure for us! Complimenti Cara!

23. RedKat - Prelude Op.28 N.4 This piece has such a sad air to it – very reflective and thoughtful. Your playing pulls out the emotional tension very well. Richly played, I enjoyed listening very much indeed! Thank you!

24. BenPiano - Le Onde Beer is on your checklist for recording sessions? I couldn’t do that! Too risky smile Good for you for conquering the red dot jitters and getting such a good performance out of a stressful situation. You’ve done a lovely job on this piece, my compliments!

25. cgyan (Iain) - Waltz Op39 No1 Interesting history on this piece, I didn’t know Brahms had done so much work with waltzes in such a short time! I agree this is a very joyful piece – absolutely delightful!

26. Mr Super-Hunky - Once in a Red Moon Ah the long awaited, emotion stirring piece… Interesting that there were some Spanish sounding elements – rich, full, dramatic, sweeping, involving, bittersweet, wistful, longing – I love it. This is simply beautiful. Grazie mille Tesoro.

27. Strings&Wood - Prelude in B Minor OP 28 No.6 (Tolling Bells) I don’t think I’ve ever heard this piece before. It is beautiful. Very moving. Thank you for providing the background notes- I always find them helpful when hearing a new piece. Though this piece has some sad tones I still get a sense of optimism from it. I loved listening to you play it.

28. Riddler (Ed) - Warm Valley Flaming Sword, Warm Valley…..yes, food for thought. The music doesn’t give any Dantesque impressions though so maybe I’m on the wrong track. Lovely piece – you’ve really got the right piano voice for this music – VERY enjoyable indeed!!!

29. ode2joy - Illusiones Perdidas This is another new piece for me – It is really lovely! I can see why you like Cervantes! Most enjoyable! Thank you !

30. Mile Hi Steve - Wonderful Peace What a pretty piece. I really like the arrangement – the name of the piece is very appropriate, it is marvelously soothing.

31. Bessel - Minuet in G, from the Anna Magdalena Notebook Well done Bessel! I love this piece, I find it so cheerful. You have done an excellent job on it! Bravo!

32. PianoStudent88 - Little Prelude in C, BWV 939 More Bach – yippee. And another piece that is new to me. Most enjoyable! Thank you!

33. joangolfing - About Strange Lands and People I really enjoy the Schumann pieces I’ve heard in these recitals – and now I have this one to add to my collection of listening pleasure. This was a treat to listen to – lovely playing indeed.

34. CMohr - We'll Be Together Again Interesting background information – interesting piece… You achieved your objective of making use of a wide spectrum of the keyboard! What was the crack?? I think if you hadn’t mentioned it I wouldn’t have been so keyed into it. smile This is a really handsome piece. Very relaxing and soothing: I loved your performance!

35. SwissMS - Chopin Valse 69 no. 2 I love this one! Your performance is charming, delicate, flowing – just delightful! And all from memory? Well done indeed! Thank you!

36. Ken. - I Mean You Monk is every so particular…:) I found this piece much easier to appreciate than the one in the previous recital, which I confess, just confused me smile This one was fun!

37. DadAgain - Nocturne Op9 Number 1 Bb Minor (I watched the video and had to think –ah, it is summer in Australia!) It is unfortunate that your camera cut off the finale – but this was a lovely performance. It must have been fun to revisit it after a gap of a “few” years? Most enjoyable, thank you!

38. CASINITALY (Cheryl) - Soft Shoe Blues Still a few glitches, but it is coming along, coming along. I have to say that this piece has been tremendous fun to work on and I’ve just been thrilled to start dabbling in a new genre.

39. CarlosCC - Password So glad you were able to make the recital after all Carlos! I think that it is fun you decided to decode the “Password”. I have never heard this Einaudi piece. I like it better than some of the others I’ve heard. I love the delicate beginning, and the transition to a richer, fuller sound. Wonderful performance – your technique is improving with each piece I hear from you. Complimenti!

40. BillM - Imagine Bill, I always look forward to your submissions to the recital. You choose music that suits your voice so well, and I am full of admiration for your talent in being able to sing so well and play at the same time. Lovely performance – greatly enjoyed!

[Linked Image]

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Is it just me , or does the link for N44, Mar_red not work?

[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
The streaming player should now be working. If you tried it before when it wasn't working, then you may need to flush your browser cache.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by casinitaly

How odd - it works in the streaming player. I'll look into it.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
01. Sam Rose (Shmuel R) - Nocturne No. 20 in C-sharp minor, Op. posth

Very well played Sam. You seemed to handle the runs with ease and you are well connected to the piece, which is a Chopin favorite of mine. You must feel a great deal of satisfaction to be able to perform at this level 15 months in. And that is not to diminish your time on the bench, which I am sure is significant. The tone of the M was lovely, how was the action?

02. Peyton - Coffee For Breakfast- A Caffeine Fantasia For Piano in Four Parts

Very creative Peyton. As a coffee connoisseur, I can easily relate! Additional comments left on YT.

03. ladypayne - Canon in D

Very nice production ladypayne and enjoyable to listen to. Perhaps, a new calling?

04. Serge88 - Oh! Darling

I love this song. The very first time I heard it was in the back seat of a 69 Mach 1 (no, not that- I was just a passenger). Very nicely played, but needs just a bit more "dirty" on the dynamics. I wanted to hear McCartney's raspy plea.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S

Sam

Here's the correct link to #44. Mar_red - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Monica will have to edit her post and change it, if it hasn't expired. There's some confusion about the correct spelling of "Merry" wink

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member

Sam

Here's the correct link to #44. Mar_red - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

Monica will have to edit her post and change it, if it hasn't expired. There's some confusion about the correct spelling of "Merry" wink

Sam

Thanks Sam!

[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
05. Inlanding - Glen - Moonlight Sonata Mvt 1
Nice Glen! I have been working on this one for a couple of years now and I still enjoy playing this wonderful piece of music. Good control of the left hand dynamics. Right hand voicing is coming along nicely. I enjoyed listening very much. We will have to do a MS study session sometime.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Ok, my last batch of feedback. (As you may have guessed, I have no work committments today!- Lucky me!)

41. raptor (Timothy Koh) - Gymnopedie No 1 I’ve been hearing so much about this piece lately – it seems a lot of people are interested in it. It was a pleasure to hear it performed! Thank you!

42. WiseBuff - Albumleaf How nice that you found a Chopin piece that was challenging without being overwhelming! I very much enjoyed listening to this performance!

43. notbach - Minuet [in G major] I think I might have this piece in one of my books… you’ve made me curious to give it a try. Your description of the piece makes me think that you really had fun working on this piece and gained a lot from your experimenting. I enjoyed your performance!

44. Mar_red – Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas ooooooh –what lovely rippling notes! I love this version. I can enjoy Christmas songs at any time of year and have been known to sing them in July if the mood so takes me. I can’t stop smiling while I’m listening to this. I’m charmed, just charmed! Thank you!

45. Yamaha G-3 & P-80, Mike White - Sarabande Wow. Majestic. Powerful. Dynamic. Joyful. I liked this very much.

46. Copper - Georgia On My Mind A beautiful golden oldie. You played it with wonderful tranquility and just the right amount of sentiment. Lovely performance.

47. LaValse - AdagioLaValse, what a beautiful rendition of this moving piece. Your dedication is lovely. I saw the photo of Lore on her webpage. What a heartbreak. I thought it was sweet to see your kids peeking it during your performance though.

48. dannylux / Mel - Ponce Intermezzo No.1 in e minor and yet another composer who is new to me. I love Spanish piano music, and it is easy to imagine this played on guitar as well. I thoroughly enjoyed your performance – your cascading notes in the middle were particularly splendid.

49. Monica K. - Silence of Stars (Monica, this is lovely. I can see why it grabbed your attention. You are wonderfully smooth throughout the piece – I think your Einaudi training must have come into play when you studied this piece. Brava, Brava, Complimenti!

50. cscl - Invention No. 6 in E A first recording is an honest one! Maybe you can fill us in on the story now? I can never have too much Bach – I was delighted by your performance, and on tenterhooks wondering what would be particular about the last note! I won’t spoil the surprise for others.

51. Starr Keys - Falling In Love Again Great piece! Was that Miss Piggy on your piano, looking um….”very sexy” (for Miss Piggy).
I didn’t know that much about Marlena Ditreicht before – interesting. I hope you get over your tendonitis soon – it is such a drag when you long to play and you are restricted. I think you dealt with it really well in managing to perform this piece. Good for you!

And that brings me to the conclusion of the recital. I have never listened to all the pieces in one day. Wow. My head is full of delicious music.

Thank you so much everyone –it is a huge pleasure to be part of this very special group of musicians and long-distance friends.

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 16 17

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission