2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, danno858, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 25th quarterly Adult Beginners' Forum Recital! smile So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Online Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #25 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital 25 zip 1
Recital 25 zip 2
Recital 25 zip 3
Recital 25 zip 4
Recital 25 zip 5
Recital 25 zip 6
Recital 25 zip 7

And here's the link to Sam S.'s terrific ABF recital index, that allows you to browse through and search for pieces in all of our past recitals:

ABF Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: mr_super-hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sam Rose (Shmuel R)
Experience:About a year and a half self taught. I had my first two lessons in November / December.
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH-hlTU1mA0
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
Title of piece:Nocturne No. 20 in C-sharp minor, Op. posth
Composer:Chopin
Duration:03:36
Source of music:Sheet music; played from memory
Instrument used:1948 Steinway Model M
Recording method:Recorded with a Zoom H4n
I was not planning to use this for the recital, so I had to get the audio from the youtube video I put up, since I had deleted the original audio recording. It's still OK, but not as high quality an mp3 as I would like it to be.
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:I learned this piece last year. I first heard it in the movie "The Pianist," which is what inspired me to start playing piano last year (something I've always wanted to do but never had the chance to). I was on winter break in Los Angeles (where I'm from) a few weeks ago, and I had the opportunity to play on and record a 1948 Steinway M in beautiful shape. I wasn't thinking about the recital, so most of the recording went smoothly and in one take. I make a mistake here and there, but we're allowed to do that, right?

I think it's still a fairly enjoyable rendition of the piece, even with the mistakes (there's one really BAD one. You'll know it when you hear it) and the pedal noises and the fact that this was my first time recording a grand piano so I had no idea what I was doing as far as where to put the recorder.

I did previously post this recording in the member recordings section of the Pianist Corner and in a thread on the ABF, so I apologize if you've already heard it. I've got nothing else to submit at the moment (and no piano which I can record on here anyway), and I really wanted to participate!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:About 40 years with a few years of classical lessons
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXH0cVUa2Fg
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:Coffee For Breakfast- A Caffeine Fantasia For Piano in Four Parts
Composer:Original
Duration:05:56
Instrument used:Pramberger grand
Recording method:Metro
Additional info:This is the last, at least for a while, of a series of original pieces (I have got to get back to working on classical pieces cus they are just crumbling behind me...) . "Coffee For Breakfast", obviously, is inspired by that wholesome, nutritious morning drink...coffee. How often do I forget about breakfast after my fourth cup and just sit hammering away at the piano. For this piece one must throw away the metronome... quite easy for me since timing is not one of my stronger suits..and feel very free with the time. The whole piece should start slowly, as the coffee is made and sipped, then slowly speed up to a blurry finish.

This work is in four parts.

1- "Brewing" (the main theme.)

2- "That First Sip" (From a french press start)

3- "Turkish Coffee" (An Arabian interlude)

4- "Good to the Last Drop" (Head out as fast as your little fingers can go)

I had originally planned to make this into a full blown music video but was stymied by trying to locate a camel for the desert scene in "Turkish Coffee". In the end I had to settle for a simple video of me at the piano...and not even with a cup of coffee near by (been there, done that... nothing worse than a spilled cup of coffee on the piano).

Cheers to the forum, Monica and all of you for making this the 25th online recital. I know for a fact I would never have recorded the works I have without the incentive of the recital.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:ladypayne
Experience:I lost count
Title of piece:Canon in D
Composer:Johann Pachelbel
Duration:03:39
Source of music:own arrangement
Instrument used:digital piano
Recording method:Zoom h1
Additional info:This is my very own arrangement of Canon. It was not an easy task trying to arrange this but I think I managed to come up with something. Plus, this was a perfect song to try out my new music software! I added a few various instruments throughout the piece using a program called Magix music maker. I first recorded the song with a zoom, then I imported it to the software program. Then I played the various instruments on a midi keyboard along with the piano recording which also turned out to be a lot of work. Either way, Lots of fun playing around with this. Hope you enjoy!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Serge88
Experience:5.5 years + another 5 years many years ago
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S98wUmB4YM
Title of piece:Oh! Darling
Composer:Paul McCartney
Duration:02:47
Source of music:My own version from sheet music + youtube video
Instrument used:Roland FP7 as a midi keyboard + Piano software (kontakt concert Grand)
Recording method:FP7 - midi - Garageband - Piano software (kontakt concert Grand)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Inlanding - Glen
Experience:Off and on for years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zpIMlkWmU4
Title of piece:Moonlight Sonata Mvt 1
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:06:08
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:1917 O
Additional info:I've enjoyed learning about Beethoven's life - helps deepen my appreciation of him, and as well, his impact on all music. The wiki link is a good summary.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piano_Sonata_No._14_(Beethoven)

I found this particularly interesting: The movement was very popular in Beethoven's day, to the point of exasperating the composer himself, who remarked to Czerny, "Surely I've written better things."

Among other things, playing softly and slowly, using ostinato, and trying to create dynamics under that umbrella really makes this piece such a fun challenge to play. I will very much will enjoy how this piece matures under my fingers as I keep playing it for years to come.

For lunch, it was spicy, home made three bean chili and a large salad.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:1.5 years at time of recording
Title of piece:11 bagatelles (played: 1, 5)
Composer:L. van Beethoven
Duration:04:09
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Grotrian 189
Recording method:DPA4060, Jecklin disk
Additional info:I recorded these about 3 months ago; the first of the two was recorded a few months earlier even. I planned that ahead because my current piece needs more than 3 months of work.
You may also like to hear my Sinding recording on the ABF Christmas holidays recital thread https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1815752/Re:%20ABF%20%20%20%20*HOLIDAY%20%20PERFORMAN.html#Post1815752

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Recaredo (Ricardo)
Experience:One year
Title of piece:Minuet in C minor. BWV Anh. 121.
Composer:Johann Sebastian Bach.
Duration:01:03
Instrument used:Kawai CN 33
Recording method:Digital piano to PC. Software: Audacity.
Additional info:This was the third piece I learned, when I started to play piano the last year. I fell in love with it; maybe because it was the first time that I felt like I could make music playing the piano.

Thanks for listening!

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:TrapperJohn
Experience:6+
Title of piece:My Foolish Heart
Composer:Victor Young (music) & Ned Washington (words)
Duration:03:15
Source of music:Decade By Decade - 1940s (arrang. by Dan Coates)
Instrument used:Yamaha CVP-301
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:"My Foolish Heart" is one of the best of that wonderful and very large collection of songs from roughly the mid-1920s thru the mid-1950s that are widely and lovingly referred to as The Great American Songbook. It was composed in 1949 for the soundtrack of the movie of the same name (based on a novel by J.D. Salinger, author of "Catcher in the Rye").

It's composers - Victor Young and Ned Washington - composed numerous popular songs and movie scores and were nominated frequently for Academy Awards. Young was a concert violinist who had also studied the piano seriously in his youth.

This is a typically interesting and appealing Dan Coates arrangement, which always seem to find a way to highlight the melody in the RH while keeping the LH rather busy, and which usually contain just the right kind/amount of dissonant harmonies to make them slightly "edgy" - the repeat of the 3d verse & ending is my addition.

Here are the romantic and heartfelt lyrics (though dated by modern standards they were excellent for their time) for those of you who might wish to sing along:

The night is like a lovely tune,
Beware my foolish heart.
How white the ever constant moon,
Take care my foolish heart.

There's a line between love and fascination
That's hard to see on an evening such as this.
For they both give the very same sensation
When you're lost in the magic of a kiss.

Her (his) lips are much too close to mine,
Beware my foolish heart.
But should our eager lips combine,
Then let the fire start.

For this time it isn't fascination,
Or a dream that will fade and fall apart.
It's love, this time it's love,
My Foolish Heart.

Hope you enjoy, Trap

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:a few years back after a 30+ year absence from the piano.
Video link:http://youtu.be/ZT32xydo1QY
Title of piece:Impromptu Opus 142 - 2
Composer:Schubert
Duration:05:03
Source of music:Henle urtext version
Instrument used:Yamaha UX1
Recording method:USB mic to audacity.
Additional info:You can follow along with the music in the youtube video! See how many mistakes you can find!

Schubert wrote 8 impromptus only a year before he died at age 31. Opus 90 was published while he still lived, opus 142 was published after his death.

This is in minuet and trio form, with the first part a melody with chordal accompaniment, in Ab. The trio is in Db, and is a contrasting cascade of flowing triplets. It somehow (don't ask me!) ends up in the key of A major, after passing through Db minor. Then it works back to the original key and melody.

Schubert was very fond of repeats. I'm not. I didn't take any of them, and the piece is long enough without them!

There are lots of small errors. Sorry about that, but I don't have to tell you how hard it is to play all those triplets without slipping fingers.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Andy Platt
Experience:Years plus 18 months lessons.
Title of piece:Arabesque No 1
Composer:Claude Debussy
Duration:05:09
Instrument used:K3
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:I've played it better, I've played it worse. This was one of the cleaner performances - one of the wrong notes was only two measures in but it got better after that.

This will be a piece I'll carry with me for life. From listening to the recording, it's too flat (not enough dynamic range). I had got the dynamics a little better a while back but that seems to have slipped. The pedalling was OK, but again something I had more under control in places.

Oh, and sorry about the squeaky pedal. It sounds dreadful - I didn't realize it was so bad until I heard it back and I don't have time to get someone in to look at it before the February recital.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Augustina
Experience:A few years as a kid, started back up maybe 2-3 years ago? not sure when:P
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RzWi5im7CU&list=UUT56Zn18DiJk5STmc6WvESg&index=1&feature=plcp
Title of piece:Huang Ruo Ru Men
Composer:Shi Jin
Duration:03:26
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Casio WK500 76 keys
Recording method:I recorded it with my cell phone, My sister used her music program to take out some of the background noises.
Additional info:This piece came from a book my sister (LadyPayne) got me while she was in China last summer. The Book is called Melody of the Night (14 original Piano Music of Shijin)

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:BeccaBb
Experience:2 months
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVWuIKuoB8c
Title of piece:500 Year Old Melody
Composer:Faber Adventures
Duration:01:25
Source of music:Faber Piano Adventures Performance Book Level 1
Instrument used:1911 Kimball Upright
Recording method:Casio Digital Camera
Additional info:The recording leaves lots to desire; the audio is converted from the video clip. This is the only change in digital formatting. Hopefully I got the timing correct. I really enjoyed this little tune, it was fun to learn

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:beechcraft409
Experience:~ 2.5 yrs
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-h5gDnXMDU
Title of piece:Raindrop Prelude - Op28 No15
Composer:Chopin
Duration:07:00
Source of music:Memorized sheet music
Instrument used:Korg SP-250
Recording method:Line-in to iMovie on MacBook
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:Well, this is the first recital I will have participated in. I spent way too long learning this piece, almost a full year. Was not actually working on it the entire time, but start to finish that is how long it took.

I made a few errors, most notably towards the end. As you all are aware, it is frustrating to try to play 7 minutes of piano without a single error. I had run out of patience, so this is the take I settled on.

Either way, I had a lot of fun with this piece. I did not play it strictly as written, at times I vary tempo and even some note lengths, just because I like the way it sounded better. And I am aware I omitted the two deep G# grace notes during the middle section. Around 6:20 I make a huge timing error... forgot what the next keys were lol

Anyhow, hope yall enjoy listening to it as much as I enjoyed playing it.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:(Was)TrueBeginner
Experience:4 years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lk5qCzCuEk
Title of piece:Sunrise On a Snowy Day
Duration:03:15
Source of music:Original
Instrument used:Essex Piano
Recording method:Used Flip Nano then used audacity to remove noise
Additional info:I wrote this on the coldest day of this year. Outside it was snowing. I didn't know what to name this piece, so I just used the scenery to name it. It will be interesting to see if it reflects the feeling I had on that day.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Little_Blue_Engine
Experience:4 years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1rJjTf9oyA
Title of piece:Martha My Dear
Composer:John Lennon & Paul McCartney
Duration:02:25
Source of music:The Beatles Keyboard Book 2nd edition, Hal Leonard
Instrument used:Gildemeester & Kroeger 57" Upright
Recording method:Sony Digital camcorder, converted to Windows Media File by Windows Movie Maker, audio converted to mp3 by RealPlayer software
Additional info:There are a few spots where I think the tempo and rhythm is a little off from what I was hoping for but I'm more comfortable with the song now than last year when I recorded it for the piano bar. Lunch today was pasta salad, a mozzarella cheese stick and some peanuts with blueberry flavored iced tea.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Maechre
Experience:Three years
Video link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST8WP11rFlM
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/user/Acrozius?feature=mhee
Title of piece:Besaid Island [Final Fantasy X: Piano Collections]
Composer:Masashi Hamauzu
Duration:03:24
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Casio Privia PX-730 digital piano
Recording method:Digital piano headphone jack > lead with red/white audio at the opp. end > red/white audio into 3.5mm adapter > into mic jack > Mixcraft software

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Jazzwee
Experience:7+ years
Title of piece:All the Things You Are
Composer:Jerome Kern
Duration:06:01
Source of music:Lead Sheet (from memory). Improvised.
Instrument used:Nord Piano 88
Recording method:Backing track is from iPhone iRealB App which is fed into a mixer. Nord output is fed into mixer. Zoom H4 receives audio data from recording outs of Mixer via 1/4" ports.
Additional info:Just one take as always. A little stiff. I wish I could do it again and do it more relaxed but that's the way it is and I always want to be realistic and show all my faults with the one take strategy.

I've done this tune at the recital before but we'll see if this can be compared and have it show improvement. Lots of mistakes and just general hesitations. But that's always the difficulty when it's improvised.

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Grouchomarx
Experience:less than 3 years
Video link:http://youtu.be/jN3abexzCy8
Title of piece:Passion
Composer:Hikaru Utada
Duration:04:33
Instrument used:Roland Hp305
Recording method:Audacity
Additional info:This is the piece that initially made me want to play the piano. It's music from a game called Kingdom Hearts (never played myself). This version is a rearrangement by Kyle Landry, who has plenty of similar music on the tube.

It's also one of the hardest pieces I can play from start to finnish. Too bad I always make some mistakes especially with some of the "bilnd" octave jumps.

Of the few takes I took this had some stupid mistakes but I think captured the spirit of the piece best. Dynamics go from pp to ff so had some problems getting the best sound quality with audacity as the recording level had to be somewhat low.

Hope you enjoy

3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Jazztpt
Experience:Many years but you wouldn't know it from my playing !
Title of piece:Dream
Duration:04:08
Source of music:Original with improvisation
Instrument used:Roland HP101e Digital piano
Recording method:PC/Audacity
Additional info:I wrote this tune quiet a while ago ( to be honest I can't remember when). Listening to the recording I only hear the mistakes, bad timing and poor technique but I suppose its a reflection of what my wife has to out up with so here it is.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission