2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (36251, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,452 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1844076 02/13/12 08:16 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
A year or so ago, the music service called UMG apparently filed a copyright claim against a video my son put on his page of him playing the third movement of the Pathetique. I think he was twelve or thirteen at the time of the recording. I filed the usual dispute with Youtube, but was ignored. Then Youtube blocked the video in Germany. One wonders why only Germany, but I digress.

Well, a couple of days ago I got fed up and I sent an email to Youtube. Here it is:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I realize that this is small potatoes to a large organization like Youtube, but I'm not at all happy with the ease with which UMG can block videos for which they have absolutely no legitimate copyright claim.

Case in point. My son recorded himself performing a Beethoven sonata movement in our own home. UMG has no claim over this 200 year old work. There are thousands of videos of classical music works that are in the public domain. If UMG can block a video of a thirteen year old playing Beethoven in his own music room, then apparently UMG must own the entire corpus of classical music. This is an absurd overreach. It makes Youtube complicit in a ridiculous claim.

Here is the video in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y1Cdj4jS4E

regards,
(dhfeld)

Youtube responded with a very form-like note:

Hi there,

Thank you for your message.

YouTube's Content Identification system has identified copyright content in your video and applied the content owner's policy to it. To learn more about the Content ID system and what this means, see:
http://www.youtube.com/t/contentid_more

Specifics of the policy applied to your video are in the Content ID Matches section of your YouTube account at: http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_copyright

If you believe that this claim was made in error, you can dispute it directly from that page.

Please note that YouTube does not mediate copyright disputes.

In general, you must be certain that your video does not infringe someone else's copyright before you upload it to our site. We cannot make this determination for you as it's your responsibility to know the rules.

We suggest you refer to our Copyright Center at http://www.youtube.com/t/copyright_education, where we've provided some guidelines and links to help you determine whether your video infringes someone else's copyright.

You may also visit YouTube’s Copyright Workshop, a self-paced guide to copyright terms and tools, found here:
http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/static.py?page=guide.cs&guide=25903

Regards,

The YouTube Team

Well, I got a bit snippy ....

Hi there back,

Apparently, no one in your office actually took the time to read what I wrote. Your reply indicates automation. I have already filed the usual complaints. Why do you allow UMG to ride roughshod over common sense. If UMG can claim a copyright violation over …. read this carefully …. a home recording of a thirteen year old boy playing A 200 YEAR OLD PIECE OF MUSIC BY LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN, then they can claim anything. This chilling effect discredits Youtube.

regards,

This actually got a human response ...

Hi Mr. Feldman,

Thank you for your message and concern.

The claimant has reviewed your dispute and reaffirmed its claim to your video. Specifics of the policy applied to your video are in the Content ID Matches section of your YouTube account at: http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_copyright

Please note that YouTube does not mediate copyright disputes. If you wish, you may resolve this issue directly with the claimant at .....

Please understand that YouTube is unable to mediate copyright disputes.

Regards,

The YouTube Team

A name!! They actually gave me a real person to contact!! So, I immediately shot an email to Mr. Richardson ....

Dear Mr. Richardson,

I asked the copyright desk at Youtube why someone was challenging a video of my son's home recording of him playing a movement of a piano sonata written by Ludwig Van Beethoven in 1798. The folks at youtube said that they do not judge these issues. Apparently they simply accept all claims as compelling. I persisted, noting the absurdity of a claim against a home recording of this sort and they gave me your email address.

Here is the email that I sent to Youtube. Can you explain why your organization thinks it has a claim on my son's playing of this 214 year old piece of music that has long been in the public domain? Do you routinely block videos of kids playing classical music? Do you think we copied a famous recording your firm owns and dubbed that in over my son's audio track? Given the number of obvious errors in his playing, I doubt anyone with an ear at your firm could have seriously entertained that notion.

regards,

I realize that honey usually works better than vinegar, but I was peeved at this point. whome

To my astonishment, this is what I received back ...

Hello Mr. Feldman,

Our claim on this video has been releases. Also, our content team would like to let you know that your son is a really good piano player because our audio filter matched his rendition with the actual piece.

Best,

Their filter actually thought that this kid was Richter, or whatever performance they actually own. You've got to be kidding me. I thanked Mr. Richardson, but had to add this ...

Thanks for the kudos for my son. He is actually pretty good.

BUT...., If your filter showed that his performance matched a recording for which you have a copyright, then your filter really needs some adjustments. There are clear errors in his performance that any musician would note, and if you do a side-by-side of his performance against a professional musician (and Sviatoslav Richter comes to mind), the differences are audible to just about anyone. I'm guessing that your filter is sweeping up way too many amateur performances of public domain music.

regards,

The block on this video has indeed been removed. All is now right.

But how many amateur videos are being challenged by copyright holders because the filters they use are so poor that they confuse a thirteen year old with Richter. The mind boggles.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
To somebody who didn't have to wade through this frustrating year-long hassle, it's actually a pretty funny story! But I'm glad to see a victory of the underdog vs. Great Big Media Company. thumb

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Great (and frustrating) story! It's pretty amazing, the whole audio filter thing. Not only does it not seem to work well, but it's evident that no one actually checks the videos that fall into their filter. Had they taken the time to watch 10 seconds of the video they would have seen an amateur (though good) pianist in his home playing a work in the public domain.

The internet never fails to amaze laugh

F
F
They always flag my videos, but I just dispute them and it clears up in a day or two.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
This is hilarious. Way to go!

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Power to the people!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Amazing story! Well done!! Perhaps the filter only checks the first 20 or so seconds and that no errors were in that part?

My piano channel on YouTube: Link
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Great story, and a good laugh! Just another example of how dumb computers are (they do exactly what they are programmed to do, and that's only as good as the programmer). laugh

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
B
B
Wow, that has to be an amazingly primitive filter... if they wanted to (which they apparently don't), they surely could tell the difference between the same concert pianist playing it twice on different pianos, with a short clip, much less a different person on a different piano. They must not care, because it's not costing them anything to block too much.

Is there really a lot of copying on youtube, ripping off their classical recordings, that they have to be so vigilant about?

Good for you, though, on your persistence!

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
My video of Nocturne in C sharp minor on my youtube channel was claimed by:
Entity: Warner Chappell
Content Type: Musical Composition

I filed the usual dispute, but I was denied (the first time that's every happened, mind you) with this result:
"All content owners have reviewed your video and confirmed their claims to some or all of its content."

These people are not stupid. My playing of the piece is half-decent, but it's damn well not whatever professional recording it's been matched against, and they know that. They know they can monetize these videos somewhat, and the little guy (me, in this case) cannot do anything, so they simply lie and say that they own the content. I wish I had the email address for these guys so I could give them a piece of my mind. I don't think there are any limitations on my video at the moment, but it still peeves me every time I see that "matched third party content" label on my video.

I do understand youtube's position in all of this, but it still annoys me very much.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
B
B
Wow, that has to be an amazingly primitive filter... if they wanted to (which they apparently don't), they surely could tell the difference between the same concert pianist playing it twice on different pianos, with a short clip, much less a different person on a different piano. They must not care, because it's not costing them anything to block too much.

Is there really a lot of copying on youtube, ripping off their classical recordings, that they have to be so vigilant about?

Good for you, though, on your persistence!

Started playing: February 2011. Still having fun.
CONGRATS! And well done!

BTW, I have to ask, did that note from Ben really have this typo.... grin

Our claim on this video has been releases.

No reason for asking, except for wondering if it gave you an extra smile amidst all the frowns. ha

OP Offline
Indeed, it did give me an extra chuckle. But typos happen. I think Ben went the extra mile here.

Now, if their filter clamps down again in three days time .............. mad

Damon #1844136 02/13/12 10:13 PM
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Terrific, thanks for sharing that!

Originally Posted by Damon
Power to the people!

The irony is not lost on me... laugh

Jason
OP Offline
Originally Posted by fuzzy8balls
They always flag my videos, but I just dispute them and it clears up in a day or two.

Two other "firms" have challenged a Mozart sonata movement he put up a few years ago. One is Koch and the other is Believe. Koch backed off, but Believe hasn't bothered to check my protest despite the passage of about a year. Maybe I have to go nuclear on them too. smokin

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by argerichfan
Terrific, thanks for sharing that!

Power to the people!

The irony is not lost on me... laugh

laugh

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

Two other "firms" have challenged a Mozart sonata movement he put up a few years ago. One is Koch and the other is Believe. Koch backed off, but Believe reaffirmed their claim. Maybe I have to go nuclear on them too. smokin

So...... In order to get Youtube to remove someone's video, all I have to do is claim it is mine?

Damon #1844147 02/13/12 10:25 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

Two other "firms" have challenged a Mozart sonata movement he put up a few years ago. One is Koch and the other is Believe. Koch backed off, but Believe reaffirmed their claim. Maybe I have to go nuclear on them too. smokin

So...... In order to get Youtube to remove someone's video, all I have to do is claim it is mine?

If you have a qualifying corporation behind you, yes.

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
OP Offline

Actually, youtube never removed any of these videos. Their little embedded note always said that the video remained available but that viewers might see advertisements in them. The block of the Pathetique video in Germany was the most severe action that has been taken.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
How frustrating to have to put up with that nonsense and how satisfying to have it finally resolved. Piano*son is indeed pretty good!

Best regards,

Deborah
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,195
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission