2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,119 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
rob1261 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I am in the market for an entry level DP. I was looking to stay as close to $500 as possible. I have read many review and opinions. I know there are other SP250 posts but they are older and I wanted to get an opinion based on the most recent options. I recently went to Guitar Center to look at the Casio PX-130, PX-330 and Yamaha P95. And I came across the SP250. I know this is an older DP with older technology, but I really liked it. I definitively preferred the SP250 to the Casio's. The keys just felt better on the SP250 and I thought it sounded good. Comparing to the P95 was more difficult. I think the P95 had a better piano sound but I did not like the action as much as the SP250 GH3 action. I have an opportunity to get a new KORG SP250 with stand and pedal, shipped for $599. But I am just a little bit hesitant because it is an older model. The only thing that I felt the KORG lacked was a recorder/sequencer. For some reason KORG seems to be the only company to not put a recorder/sequencer on their DPs. Any opinion on this decision would be greatly appreciated.

V
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
V
If, overall, you preferred the SP-250, then why not go for it? It's a nice package for $599. Given that it used to be nearly $1,200 when it first came out, you are unlikely to get a better bang for your buck. I used to own the SP-250, and found it a straightforward, well-built DP with perfectly acceptable sounds, if not state-of-the-art.

It's quite likely that Korg will bring out a replacement for the SP-250 in the not-too-distant future, but if they do, it won't be $600!

"you don't need to have been a rabbit in order to become a veterinarian"

mabraman, 2015
Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
When I was looking for a DP I really liked the feel of the Korg SP250 as well. And I was okay with the various sounds. If I could get it for that price I would have been very tempted to. I thought the keyboard was one of the best that I had tried. It comes with the built in stand and pedal so the price is right. As you can get it for the same price as the P95 I'd personally be more inclined to go with the Korg.

V
V
Yes. Best DP for it's price. I still remember the first time I played my previous SP250. OK, the note sustain is a bit short, theres only a single pedal, and there's no sympathetic resonance. But it sounds good (especially the German Grand) and the RH3 keybed feels great. At The time my final decision was between the SP250 and the P95 and I felt the Korg sounded better (especially in the bass) and just felt like a better overall quality DP all round.
As VP notes it may be replaced soon but it wont be at this price, especially if Korg puts the Kronos SGX1 piano engine in it.

C
C
SP250 is the best one among PX-130/330 and P95. The keyboard is much better, the sound is much better.

1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
could never get past fake sound

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
B
B
1.5 years ago I had to make that decision too and chose the SP250. I liked the touch the best out of the 3 (Casio 130, Yamaha P85, Korg 170), was happy it came with a stand and a decent pedal with half-pedaling capabilities and the speakers I thought were the best out of the 3. The Mellow Piano [1st piano button, 3rd bank] is great!

If you can't push for more [Yamaha P155], then I believe this is still the best you can get in this price range.

old Gaveau upright & Kawai CA63; previously Korg SP250
S
S
Originally Posted by cosun
SP250 is the best one among PX-130/330 and P95. The keyboard is much better, the sound is much better.

i beg to differ

i work at a music store and have access to both the P95 and SP250

i prefer the action of the P95 over the SP250

S
S
i like the action and grand piano sound of the p95 better. But I like the E-Pianos better on the Korg SP250.

but in the end you need to go what feels/responds best to you. Both are really nice.

Yamaha P-250 | Galaxy II Pianos | Galaxy Vintage D | The GIANT | Ravenscroft 275
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I would have thought that if you could get the SP250 with stand and pedal package for $599 then the P95 wouldn't be much more anyhow so don't buy on price but sound and feel.

"I'm still an idiot and I'm still in love" - Blue Sofa - The Plugz 1981 (Tito Larriva)
Disclosure : I am professionally associated with Arturia but my sentiments are my own only.
K
K
I actually dislike the action on the SP250. I find it clunky and extremely loud. When the key releases it creates a huge thump on its way back up that can be heard over the onboard speakers on max volume. It becomes more evident the faster you play just how loud the action is. I would try the px130 or p95 as suggested already by others.

R

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until April 24 2014
2000 Post Club Member
R
In this price range. I very much like and prefer the sp250. It is alot of piano for the money. Gives you the inputs/outputs you will probably learn to use. I very much like the feel of the keys. Admit it's lacks. Also...I do think and have become a little confused by the weight and friction of the keys. Gives them some reality to me. A little resistance at the start to get it moving makes them feel real to me. Also toward the bottom. A term people speak of as let off. Well it doesn't have any of this. Just the combination of weight and friction makes it to me feel kinda like this. It's just that to me the keys feel more like moving a hammer than other DP's in this price range.
I do realize one will grow out of this. Yet, any of the entry levels one will grow out of.
I admit. If I had the spare money getting into an entry level DP. I would have much rather combined this with a software piano.
What I have, sits on a table, with a very adjustable seat. No stand. I very much kept cost down on my entry level DP. The software piano will stay with me and most likely won't be bettered, ever.

Ron
Your brain is a sponge. Keep it wet. Mary Gae George
The focus of your personal practice is discipline. Not numbers. Scott Sonnon
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Some of my favorite piano sounds ever were those on my Korg SgRack; I think $599 is an excellent price;
One of the reasons that I did not consider the SP250 was that I felt the sound in my ears was a little clearer on the SP170- of course the SP250 (and even LP350) action with RH3 is preferable.

One of the appealing things of the SP250 is the different variations of the acoustic piano.

For example, on the P95 you have the Grand Piano 1, and the Gran Piano which is a little brighter:

The SG Rack had a normal concert grand, one that was brighter, a mellow one, a hyped one and one that was bright but not in a tinny manner, more just pronuounced.

I am aware that the SP250 has a few variations of the grand,
A friend of mine was really looking to get one but decided to save the money and just get a Studio Logic controller years ago.

I will go try it out again, but from my memory I didn't care for the SP250 speakers- I would say that they SP170S speakers (not the SP170) were very good.

I agree with the post about outgrowing the entry level; but I am pretty happy with mine right now because it is portable even though on the custom stand, and really low maintenance.

My final verdict is if you are happy with the sound that comes through the speakers than go for it, but I found it a little muddy.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
R
rob1261 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks for all the feedback. I got lucky and before I purchased the SP250 for $599 I found one on eBay for $470 shipped. It is like new condition, only 2 months old. So far I am happy with it. I will admit the piano sounds may not be as good as the Yamaha P95 or Casio PX130/PX330 but I think the keyboard is excellent. One of the better keyboards that I have used and better than the Yamaha or Casio. The sounds are more than fine for me. And I always have the option to use other sounds modules or software. But you can't change the keyboard. It is a very solid keyboard, but heavier than others (42lbs). The included stand is not fancy but much more solid than portable X-type stands I have used. It comes with a nice pedal with half-pedaling. I think it would be great if Korg replaced this with an updated model with better sounds, a sequencer and the same keyboard (RH3). But for the money I think the SP250 it is a good choice. I got the all black model which I think looks much better that the silver model.

V
V
Originally Posted by rob1261
Thanks for all the feedback. I got lucky and before I purchased the SP250 for $599 I found one on eBay for $470 shipped. It is like new condition, only 2 months old. So far I am happy with it. I will admit the piano sounds may not be as good as the Yamaha P95 or Casio PX130/PX330 but I think the keyboard is excellent. One of the better keyboards that I have used and better than the Yamaha or Casio. The sounds are more than fine for me. And I always have the option to use other sounds modules or software. But you can't change the keyboard. It is a very solid keyboard, but heavier than others (42lbs). The included stand is not fancy but much more solid than portable X-type stands I have used. It comes with a nice pedal with half-pedaling. I think it would be great if Korg replaced this with an updated model with better sounds, a sequencer and the same keyboard (RH3). But for the money I think the SP250 it is a good choice. I got the all black model which I think looks much better that the silver model.

Thats a great price. Some stores here have SP250's with sticker prices of AU$1400. I am one of the few here that likes Korg's RH3 action as well. The stands best feature is the cross brace that holds the pedal in place.

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Congrats on your new piano Rob1261! I think you will enjoy it and the price you got it for is awesome!

O
O
Deleted

Last edited by Ojustaboo; 07/29/13 05:51 PM.

[Linked Image]
R
rob1261 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Wow. That's over $1500 american dollars? I don't understand the difference in prices for the DPs in various countries. Some of the online retailers in the US sell new for $599. Are other brands cheaper, e.g. Kawai, Yamaha, Roland? The pedal bar is nice and makes the stand more stable. I am also liking some of the other on-board sounds. It has 10 banks of sounds with 3 variations each. It has 6 pianos, 6 electric pianos, 6 organs, Harpsi/Clav, Vibes/Guitar, Strings/Pad and 3 Choirs. And 2 sounds can be layered.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Lowest new price in The Netherlands (Europe) about $850-900

Succes
Johan B

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by rob1261
I don't understand the difference in prices for the DPs in various countries.

It's the size of the market and the level of competition. Most musical instruments cost a fair bit more in Australia. Despite the Australian dollar being valued 10% higher than the US dollar. Another factor that keeps prices higher is the fact that shipping to Australia on larger items is usually prohibitively expensive, so we have less competition from overseas. It's frustrating, for sure.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission