Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
115 registered members (Aimer, AndrewJCW, Antihero, anamnesis, Animisha, 29 invisible), 1,715 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? #1840549
02/08/12 07:30 AM
02/08/12 07:30 AM
Perth, Australia
Jolteon Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Jolteon  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Perth, Australia
http://coppellpianoshop.wordpress.com/2012/02/08/why-do-children-drop-out-of-piano-lessons/

I saw this Blog post pop up today, and it presented a very thought-provoking view on the subject.

Having, myself, belonged to the "lose interest and return" category, I must vouch for the importance of having a source of self-motivation.

Thoughts?

[Linked Image]
Algernon: I hope, Cecily, I shall not offend you if I state quite frankly and openly that you seem to me to be in every way the visible personification of absolute perfection.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Jolteon] #1840577
02/08/12 09:16 AM
02/08/12 09:16 AM
P
PaulaPiano34 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
PaulaPiano34  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P

I'm not so sure that the problem lies entirely with the pedagogy, though, and I think the problems can lie more with parents and the allure of "more interesting" things.

I've noticed in my hometown that children with parents that play an active role in their children's generally stay with the instrument. Many parents I know listen to their children's piano lessons, help supervise the practicing as needed, play piano music around the house, invest in buying a decent piano, attend all music recitals with their kids etc... and they turn music into a "family" thing.

At the same time, I think almost everyone goes through that point where they want to quit and sometimes (though I know this isn't a favorite of most American parents), parents just have to push their kids through it. When I was ten or so, I wanted to quit piano and do girl scouts and sports but my parents told me that if I quit, I would have to fill all my time with chores. At this point I was practicing over an hour a day and I couldn't fathom doing over an hour a day more of chores so I stayed with piano and I am so happy that I did.

Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Jolteon] #1840581
02/08/12 09:21 AM
02/08/12 09:21 AM
Florida
P
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member
piano joy  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Florida
Interesting.
I, too, dropped out as a teen. In hindsight, I think it was largely because I had a teacher who taught because she had to , not because she wanted to. I don't recall EVER playing any songs I enjoyed, they were all boring "adult" songs. I so wish I had expressed this properly to my parents. And, I wish my parents had hunted around a bit for a highly recommended teacher, rather than the one who lived down the street (I rode my bike to and fro, seriously!). Anyways, those were the "old" days, distractions were far fewer, I imagine it's a different story today, regarding WHY kids stop.

I returned decades later and it's my biggest (and perhaps ONLY) regret in life- not having taken up again immediately after college. I have to go cry now. (not really, I'll go practice instead) smile

Last edited by piano joy; 02/08/12 09:46 AM.

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Jolteon] #1840591
02/08/12 10:04 AM
02/08/12 10:04 AM
Mount Vernon, Georgia 30445
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Varcon  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Interesting! Parents who supervise their children seem to get good results. There are many variables in this problem. Too many other activities, parents leave it up to the student to practise, an incompetent teacher, the proverbial boy who would rather be batting a ball than practising the piano. Music that doesn't interest. I'm sure other reasons as well. Perhaps an untuned piano as some have asked why it sounds so different on my piano than their own.

Ralph

Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Jolteon] #1840600
02/08/12 10:38 AM
02/08/12 10:38 AM
Iowa City, IA
Kreisler Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kreisler  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Iowa City, IA
I disagree with much of the article.

I dare anyone to name a single activity that a child remains interested and self-motivated in from the ages of 7 to 18. People change, it's completely natural for a person's interests to change as they grow.

The key to staying in lessons and learning is discipline, not interest. Discipline is what gets us through school (filled with subjects that we are not constantly interested in.)

Having taught hundreds of kids, the single most determining factor in whether or not they remain in lessons is discipline - much of which has to be instilled by the parents.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Jolteon] #1840601
02/08/12 10:41 AM
02/08/12 10:41 AM
Yarmouth, Maine
piRround Offline
Gold Subscriber
piRround  Offline
Gold Subscriber

Yarmouth, Maine
Well, in my case it was because I was a college brat (as opposed to army brat). I had a couple years of lessons around the age of 10 but that was about the longest we ever stayed in one place. So I got the basics but mostly played by ear. Fortunately my parents kept moving the piano with us so I always had one. I did manage to get a year of lessons in just after high school before I moved again. After I left home for good I went without a piano for a couple of years until my parents gave me the one I grew up with. Really I have had a piano of some sort ever since and just play for enjoyment (my own -- not sure if anyone else enjoys hearing me!)

Sandy

Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Jolteon] #1840637
02/08/12 12:08 PM
02/08/12 12:08 PM
pagosa springs,co
rada Offline
1000 Post Club Member
rada  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

pagosa springs,co
This is an 'everyone has their story' tale. I grew up with a friend of a friend that came over to my house one day and played 'Malaguena'....I was a year older than she was and I was astounded at how well she played. I was envious. We both went to the same college for music. She never continued to study. She had the discipline and training I did not have but my opinion is she was forced to play and ultimately dropped out. My story , on the other hand, is a continued study and discpline at the piano. Why?...because I cannot stay away...I love it!

I'll bet there are tons of stories on both sides of this issue.

rada

rada

Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Jolteon] #1840639
02/08/12 12:10 PM
02/08/12 12:10 PM
Columbia/Westchester Counties ...
C
Copake Offline
Copake  Offline
C

Columbia/Westchester Counties ...
I suspect there are multiple reasons for children to abandon an instrument. One of them has to be a lack of passion for music itself.

I offer the case of my son who studied both piano and violin. I played duets with him in his recitals. We took him to the Metropolitan Opera and Tanglewood. He heard classical music at home. And yet, since graduating from high school, he hasn't touched the piano or the violin to this day. I have never asked him why but I think he truly lacked a passion for music even though he could play it fairly competently. He found other interests that were more compelling.

Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: rada] #1840689
02/08/12 01:49 PM
02/08/12 01:49 PM
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RonaldSteinway  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by rada
This is an 'everyone has their story' tale. I grew up with a friend of a friend that came over to my house one day and played 'Malaguena'....I was a year older than she was and I was astounded at how well she played. I was envious. We both went to the same college for music. She never continued to study. She had the discipline and training I did not have but my opinion is she was forced to play and ultimately dropped out. My story , on the other hand, is a continued study and discpline at the piano. Why?...because I cannot stay away...I love it!

I'll bet there are tons of stories on both sides of this issue.

rada

rada

Agree 100%, if we do not love it, we will not care.

Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Jolteon] #1840735
02/08/12 03:21 PM
02/08/12 03:21 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
I think the article missed the boat.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Jolteon] #1840769
02/08/12 04:17 PM
02/08/12 04:17 PM
Chapel Hill, NC
Stanza Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stanza  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Chapel Hill, NC
Soft parents.
How many kids would not:

go to school
do chores
go to church
study
turn off the TV
etc.... if their parents would let them?

also..

Mean teachers
Boring music
Fear of recitals
Lack of self confidence
Too much else on their plate
Money

Estonia L190 #7004
Casio PX 310
Yamaha NP 30
Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Copake] #1840785
02/08/12 04:52 PM
02/08/12 04:52 PM
piqué Offline
5000 Post Club Member
piqué  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

in my own case, if i'd been allowed to take piano lessons i would never have quit. i played by ear until i was in a position to get piano lessons for myself, in my early 20s.

however, my official instrument, growing up, was the flute (the instrument my father was willing to pay for lessons for). i did not really like the sound of the flute, and i didn't care for most of the flute repertoire. i did practice 6 hours a day, though, and my father put a lot of pressure on me to become a professional flautist.

this seemed like a stupid idea to me (two flute seats in every orchestra is not great odds of getting a job) and it was made infinitely worse when my father started taking me all the way to NYC for lessons with a professional flautist so that i could get into the all-state orchestra in high school.

much too much pressure. i loved music, i had no trouble focusing or devoting many hours to practice, but i hated the expectations and the pressure. i quit flute at the age of 15, dashing my father's hopes for me, but reclaiming myself.

if a parent's intentions are for the good and happiness of the child, rather than expectations that the child fulfill some sort of dream as an extension of themselves--that is, if the parents' intention is wholesome--then i imagine parental involvement is a good thing. but it can also be very unhealthy.

piqué

now in paperback:
[Linked Image]

Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey
Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Jolteon] #1840798
02/08/12 05:17 PM
02/08/12 05:17 PM
Varcon Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Varcon  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Parents play a big part in this but some don't do enough and others too much.

My brother and I were told we would take three years of music lessons--he the trumpet and I the French horn--so in the second grade I was lugging it back and forth from home to school, from the classroom to the band hall for lessons and band practice, and playing for chapel every now and then.
There was no question that we would practise or take lessons. It was considered part of our education.

In the fifth grade the school burned down and made radical changes in how things would be done. I missed lessons for the rest of that year and until the 7th grade when my mother decided I could take piano lessons.

I happened to like it so there was no problem and my mother would not interfere with the teacher after I found a good one. But other students took only because they were forced to take. I liked it.

The students whose parents sat in on the lessons made sure they practised and followed the advice. Some parents delivered and picked them up but never questioned what I was doing. Some would ask it if used a ruler to swat them. No one had done that to me so I didn't see any point in doing that.

Point: Parents really need to supervise the younger children and discipline them to follow a routine, develop a systematic plan of practice, and be consistent in following it through.

The attitude in doing this as well should be supportive rather than some sort of belligerency.

Ralph

Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Kreisler] #1840802
02/08/12 05:30 PM
02/08/12 05:30 PM
Seattle area, WA
gooddog Offline
5000 Post Club Member
gooddog  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Seattle area, WA
Originally Posted by Kreisler
I dare anyone to name a single activity that a child remains interested and self-motivated in from the ages of 7 to 18.
I name myself - learning piano. I realize I may be the exception to the rule, but I started lessons when I was 10 and never lost interest. My lessons representated a financial hardship for my parents to they laid down one rule when I started lessons: (Sorry, if you've heard this before), "If we ever have to ask you to practice, the lessons stop". They never did. I fell completely in love with the piano at my very first lesson. I clearly remember the thrill of sounding out the notes to "The Woodchuck". I stopped lessons when I went to college and didn't restart until my 50's but I was always learning new music.

Best regards,

Deborah
Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Jolteon] #1840811
02/08/12 05:55 PM
02/08/12 05:55 PM
Canada
L
LadyChen Offline
500 Post Club Member
LadyChen  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Canada
I'm with gooddog -- I started lessons when I was 7 and loved them right through high school. My parents used to beg me to stop practicing so they could go to bed wink.

Last edited by LadyChen; 02/08/12 05:56 PM.
Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: gooddog] #1840815
02/08/12 06:00 PM
02/08/12 06:00 PM
Florida
P
piano joy Offline
500 Post Club Member
piano joy  Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Florida
I agree with previous posts stating multiple reasons come into play. I was ,and remain, an extremely self-disciplined person. My parents were immigrants and "strict". I practiced daily. I just lost interest in the piano and music overall, regrettably!

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Kreisler] #1840819
02/08/12 06:14 PM
02/08/12 06:14 PM
D
Damon Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Damon  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
D

I dare anyone to name a single activity that a child remains interested and self-motivated in from the ages of 7 to 18.

Video games.
The consumption of ice cream.

Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Jolteon] #1840822
02/08/12 06:19 PM
02/08/12 06:19 PM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
wr  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
W

I stopped reading when I got to the part where he started some kind of blather about people not being musicians unless they could improvise, an attitude which is a sure sign of a certain kind narrow-minded cluelessness, IMO. But I already knew there was a problem when he said earlier that teachers bore the responsibility for keeping the kid interested. That's pretty weird thinking, if you ask me.

Anyway, why shouldn't children drop out of piano lessons? I did, and lived to tell the tale.

Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Jolteon] #1840838
02/08/12 06:43 PM
02/08/12 06:43 PM
Pretoria South Africa
btb Offline
4000 Post Club Member
btb  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Pretoria South Africa
Wow!! As a Piano Teacher I wish I could find dream parents who did all this (from chobeethaninov):

“Many parents I know (please excuse my bracketed findings)
1. listen to their children's piano lessons,
(mow the lawn instead)
2. help supervise the practising as needed,
(scream and go for a walk)
3. play piano music around the house,
(dead silence ... generation gap)
4. invest in buying a decent piano,
(settle for a crummy cheap job)
5. attend all music recitals with their kids etc...
(play golf instead)
6. and they turn music into a "family" thing. ”
(switch off and watch TV)

Such benign spirits won’t touch sides in checking in with St. Peter at the Pearly Gates.

I'm heading for the Other Place.

Re: Why Do Children Drop Out of Piano Lessons? [Re: Kreisler] #1840840
02/08/12 06:46 PM
02/08/12 06:46 PM
RonaldSteinway Offline
1000 Post Club Member
RonaldSteinway  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

The key to staying in lessons and learning is discipline, not interest. Discipline is what gets us through school (filled with subjects that we are not constantly interested in.)

Having taught hundreds of kids, the single most determining factor in whether or not they remain in lessons is discipline - much of which has to be instilled by the parents.

I totally disagree. Discipline has nothing to do with this. Kids may not have the discipline but if they love playing piano, nothing will pull them away from playing piano. The main reason is that the kids or adults do not like enough to play piano. A teacher also cannot keep the students if the students really have no interest in learning to play piano, regardless how good of a teacher.

School is different from learning to play piano. We do need to go to school whether you are interested or not. Most people will finish their 12 years of schooling, but we do not need to learn piano or any other musical instruments. Parents can instill the discipline for certain duration. If the kids have no interest, sooner or later, the kids will have no desire to play (don't even mention practice diligently).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Spartacus Love Theme by Grusin - Last version
by foster12. 10/20/19 02:47 PM
Your lie in April: helping or harming classical music?
by Ijustplaypiano. 10/20/19 01:33 PM
Comfort Cusion
by dmd. 10/20/19 01:23 PM
Are you lonesome playing the piano?
by WeakLeftHand. 10/20/19 12:15 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics194,631
Posts2,881,295
Members94,721
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission