2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Carey, clothearednincompo, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, 12 invisible), 1,881 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
OP Offline
H
I am most interested in the options of the two above mentioned being used on my n3 if at all? is it worth the trouble and all the bother with wires and all that goes with it conection wise or is the stand alone sound of the n3 possible sufficient and will the TRS still work it is my intention to put one of the programs through my internal speakers on the n3,
I am concered that ivoryii might be to hungry for my desktop vista dell computer not really up on tech any help would be appreciated rhanks tony20172

S
S
ivory ii can beat the sound quality of a avantgrand?!

H
OP Offline
H
BUT NOT PIANOTEQ DO YOU MEAN IS THE AVANT GRAND N3 BETTER THAN PIANOTEQ

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Are you not happy with the sound of the N3? I haven't tried one, but just imagining that the N3 is not up to snuff gives me pause ...

I don't have Ivory 2, but I do have Ivory 1.5 and it's far better than Pianoteq. I especially like the Ivory Bosendorfer. But I think Galaxy has the better Steinway, particularly the Galaxy Vintage D.

They're all much better sounding than Pianoteq.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Each of Ivory's pianos is far better--more realistic, more detailed, more beautiful--than the AvantGrand onboard sound. In terms of pleasing sound, both are well beyond PianoTeq.

It's a definitely hassle to run all the wires but if you really are interested in the very best sound, Ivory and its brethren Galaxy, Garritan, and apparently Imperfect Pianos very clearly dominate the AvantGrand's sound, as well as PianoTeq.

Of course, Ivory isn't designed and tuned specifically for the speaker arrangement in the N3, so that give the onboard sounds a bit of advantage when played through speakers.

Last edited by gvfarns; 02/05/12 04:57 PM.
H
OP Offline
H
yes the avant grand n3 is a good sound but the grass always looks greener on the other side I have come to the conclusion that it will be syntholgy ivory 2 grand pianos for me but will have to check the spec on my computer to see if it can handle it ,and this i lock thing well why dont they give you a full price at the time of purchase and I still need to know if TRS will work on ivory I think dave horne mentioned something about it to me but I have misplaced the e mail

H
OP Offline
H
Im not sure what you mean to say with regards the internal n3 speakers thats my intention to run the program through the n3 speakers and I would like to know if the TRS on the n3 would still work running on ivory 2 I must admit that its a bit upsetting to pay so much for the avant grand and then have to consider running other programs you would think that they could include it Im sure just for a couple of extra pounds

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The N3 is a four channel system for its built in sounds. (Through headphones it's two channel.)

If you connect the N3 to an external sound source via its line in, you'll only use two of the four channels.

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
H
OP Offline
H
so I would only use two of the four channels well is that worth considering doing to get ivory 2 running through the n3, I am sure if I proceed on with this conection, I will be letting myself in for some overtime regards wires here wires there and as I mentioned prior TRS will it work in conjuntion with ivory, I have grown quiet accustomed to my vibrating fingers oh and pedals

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
I thought TRS was something you could turn on or off, whether using speakers, headphones, or MIDI. Check your user's manual if you want to know how.

H
OP Offline
H
Yes you can switch TRs on and off either headphones or internal speakers midi I dont know I am wanting to use it in conjunctionwith ivory hope its possible ????

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by hodgkins
and I would like to know if the TRS on the n3 would still work running on ivory 2

No it won't. Separate audio engines.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the noise gate (which you cannot defeat) ruins and external audio playing through the N3's audio system.

G
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Melodialworks Music
Originally Posted by hodgkins
and I would like to know if the TRS on the n3 would still work running on ivory 2

No it won't. Separate audio engines.

I assume it's like other pianos, though, where you can leave the audio engine running on but turn off the speakers. Then connect your headphone or whatever to your audio interface to hear the sweet Ivory.

It's hard for me to believe there's no way to experience TRS while using Ivory for your sounds. MelodialworksMusic, can you elaborate on the situation?

Last edited by gvfarns; 02/05/12 09:46 PM.
H
OP Offline
H
so thats another problem the sound gate plus no TRS what I need to here is some avant grand n3 person who is currently running ivory 2 with no problems ??????????

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The Tactile Response System (TRS) works even when the volume is turned completely down. Use the N3 as your midi controller and run your software piano either through another sound system or through headphones.

I really don't look at this as a fault of the N3. It is not being marketed as a midi controller (though, of course, it has midi connectors).

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X | Roland RD 2000 | Sennheiser HD 598 headphones
G
G
I have a N1 and have tested some with Ivory II. Strangely I couldn't yet find the issue with the noise gate. Maybe they got rid of it in later revisions, or the N1 didn't have it to begin with? Can't be sure.

So far I think it's not worth it to run Ivory II through the internal speakers. The sound just isn't good at all, sounds pretty hollow and undefined. The N3 has better speakers, so maybe it would sound more satisfying. The "spacial acoustic" bit will be gone though.

Could always get separate speakers for Ivory, put the N3 volume to 0 and you'll have the best of both worlds including TRS.

H
OP Offline
H
thanks for that info i think at the present moment that I am going to carry on practising piano pieces and leave this elctronic carry on behind me at least for some time it is getting in the way of what I need to do regards more playing and just eat the grass in my field so to speak and not wonder about other grassy fields thanks very much for all your concern

G
G
Yeah, don't get me wrong though. The Ivory II sound is vastly superior, it's just that the N1 speakers aren't delivering it well. It's amazing with headphones though.

Maybe I'll try some monitors soon. I still have a pair of Genelecs that I'm not using currently. It's just that the N1 is placed in my living room and looking rather pretty. I'm not sure I really want to put some monitors on top and lose that minimalistic look. Let alone the mess with the cables.

From what you're saying, it seems that the N3 is not such a good choice?
Yes, it has a true piano action, and the TRS, and very nice cabinetry.
But if the sound is not so good, then the N3 seems awfully expensive for what you're getting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission