2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
I have a 7 yo student with dylsexia. We abandoned MFPA lesson book A when it was clear he was totally unresponsive to anything on the page. Since then we have made some progress, with learning notes on the keyboard, copying simple patterns, pulse, and recognising 1, 2 and 4 beat notes. Every little thing learned is a huge challenge.

I noticed recently that he is very confused re finger numbers, which we did right at the beginning, and I thought he had got. If his hands are in prayer position, he knows his finger numbers. But in playing position he is totally thrown by the symmetry of the thing.

I am casting around for ideas for finger number games and exercises - especially with hands in playing position, because I think things we do away from the piano don't necessarily transfer to the piano. Any ideas?

Most grateful for all replies.

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Have you thought of using finger names instead of numbers? pinky, pointer etc, or whatever you and he want to devise.

Du holde Kunst...
N
N
I see no reason to stress about finger numbers.

Dyslexia is a deeper learning issue than many understand. Depending upon the student, you could have the best games and cutsies and the student still not learn the finger numbers. Instead of forcing the student into a method, find how they learn and modify your technique to their learning style. You have to communicate in their language.

Private Piano Instructor M.M.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
i have always wanted to work with a dyslexic.. to figure out how to teach him/ or her. Keep posting as you experiment. i think my own brother is somewhat dyslexic.. hard to tell because he has other learning disabilities. He learned by being shown how to play. reading music was beyond him.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
I
I
I wonder what would happen if you actually isolated the idea of 'symmetry' and taught it to the student as a concept. I feel like putting a name/label on the problem for the student might bridge a connection and he might actually associate with the idea mores strongly.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by NMKeys

Dyslexia is a deeper learning issue than many understand. Depending upon the student, you could have the best games and cutsies and the student still not learn the finger numbers. Instead of forcing the student into a method, find how they learn and modify your technique to their learning style. You have to communicate in their language.

It's deep, yes, but the real danger is assuming that because people have this "disabiity" they will not play well. For each person it is different.

I have had students who could not process finger numbers UNTIL they had already mastered fingering to a great extent. We do not need to use finger numbers to teach the concept of what is comfortable, and chords are very good for shaping the hands. For chords fingering can be shown, non-verbally. While getting a sensible hand position for the LH chords, you can allow the RH to use any fingering in the universe, which I call "Martian" fingering.

My beginners will often read rather well, with quite primative fingering, but as they become more confident they will often "invent" fingering that is absolutely brilliant. I see unusual crosses, finger substitutions, course correction on the fly.

If they learn to use their hands in a logical way first, it is usually not a big deal introducing the idea of "guide" fingers, a single finger number at the beginning of a phrase. If, for instance, there is a five-finger position starting on any key and ascending and the number 1 is there, it is not unusual to see such students start on 5, the pinky. But they discover that it is awkward, and usually if they grasp the pattern, they self-correct to the thumb because it is logical.

Flipping the notes themselves is a much larger problem, for instance reading bottom line E as top line F, in the treble, but usually that works its way out too.

Now, if the problem is REALLY severe, more severe than I have ever encountered, I don't know how that would go. But usually it seems to me that the "problem" is serious only when we do not use creative solutions to find "other ways in".

Last edited by Gary D.; 02/06/12 03:54 AM.
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by currawong
Have you thought of using finger names instead of numbers? pinky, pointer etc, or whatever you and he want to devise.

Hmmm, probably a good idea.

As someone who is totally finger-number blind and deaf on guitar (I just can't internalise that finger two is now finger one), my guitar music does get covered in little notes and arrows - index here, ring there. It does work.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

I am trying very hard not to make assumptions about what the kid can and can't do. There are behaviour problems also (I tell myself they could so easily stem from the learning problems) and it is very hard to get anything at all done with him.

He loves the 'chocolate chips' exercise from MFPA and normally uses the correct finger when we do that exercise. So I feel there is possibly hope for finger numbers. They are useful.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by apple*
i have always wanted to work with a dyslexic.. to figure out how to teach him/ or her. Keep posting as you experiment. i think my own brother is somewhat dyslexic.. hard to tell because he has other learning disabilities. He learned by being shown how to play. reading music was beyond him.

Apple, this student is incredibly hard work! I am learning all the time. We are all individuals, and we all have our different learning styles, but some are more individual than others! laugh

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by IPlayPiano
I wonder what would happen if you actually isolated the idea of 'symmetry' and taught it to the student as a concept. I feel like putting a name/label on the problem for the student might bridge a connection and he might actually associate with the idea mores strongly.

I had thought of that, but this kid is so easily distracted, I try not to get too deep. He is not *trying* to help himself, or to work out things that challenge him. If a concept can't be conveyed in 5 seconds, it's just not going to work with him.

I do talk about symmetry normally with young students, or mirrors. I find the example of the butterfly you paint on half a sheet of paper, then fold the paper over - most kids relate to that.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Gary D.

It's deep, yes, but the real danger is assuming that because people have this "disabiity" they will not play well. For each person it is different.

I have had students who could not process finger numbers UNTIL they had already mastered fingering to a great extent. We do not need to use finger numbers to teach the concept of what is comfortable, and chords are very good for shaping the hands. For chords fingering can be shown, non-verbally. While getting a sensible hand position for the LH chords, you can allow the RH to use any fingering in the universe, which I call "Martian" fingering.

My beginners will often read rather well, with quite primative fingering, but as they become more confident they will often "invent" fingering that is absolutely brilliant. I see unusual crosses, finger substitutions, course correction on the fly.

If they learn to use their hands in a logical way first, it is usually not a big deal introducing the idea of "guide" fingers, a single finger number at the beginning of a phrase. If, for instance, there is a five-finger position starting on any key and ascending and the number 1 is there, it is not unusual to see such students start on 5, the pinky. But they discover that it is awkward, and usually if they grasp the pattern, they self-correct to the thumb because it is logical.

Flipping the notes themselves is a much larger problem, for instance reading bottom line E as top line F, in the treble, but usually that works its way out too.

Now, if the problem is REALLY severe, more severe than I have ever encountered, I don't know how that would go. But usually it seems to me that the "problem" is serious only when we do not use creative solutions to find "other ways in".

I remember you talking about this before Gary, and it has given me the strength to keep going this far! smile The dad (I also teach, also imo dyslexic, but in denial) uses Martian fingering. I have learned to be very gentle with fingering suggestions, as he has an amazing ability to get there, but using the most awkward route possible.

I wonder if I could do a C major chord with him? Yes, that's a plan. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
First: I'm Dyslexic and a professional pianist.
Second: there's no such thing as a little Dyslexic or somewhat Dyslexic; you either are or aren't.
However, within the realm of Dyslexia there are many different kinds, all which require a somewhat different approach.

Being Dyslexic and playing the piano is really, really difficult. Not to mention that playing the piano is one of the most difficult musical endeavours a human can do, it is far more for a Dyslexic. In fact, even that I do play the piano, I would not recommend a piano as a first choice instrument to a Dyslexic child/adult, unless they really really want to play it.
They would get far more mileage out of playing a single-line instrument.

That said, how would I go about teaching a D. child?
Answer = No reading music, no finger numbers, no pages to look at. But: teach by ear, let them work it out, aid them in finding there own way, let them play music . . . in other words; nearly everything that one would do with a "normal" child does not with a D. child. The Suzuki method is a way to go.

thanks Chris.. i hope i haven't stepped on anyone's toes. It's difficult to say what one wants to say without infringing or opposing.

I am taking on 4 little boys soon. One is definitely mentally handicapped (i don't know how... they describe him as slow and he doesn't read). his twin brothers are slow. They were all beaten and starved for the first five years of their lives before being adopted by my friend Jane.

I've taught some interesting people over the years. first my own handicapped bro/best friend and then Kayla who is blind who is studying not at Manhatten School of Music.. opera. she's very cool with a powerful voice and excellent sense of musicianship... and i volunteer teach at a halfway house for the mentally unwell.. they love to sing.. we essentially have a sing a long.

anyway... i love the orderliness of Suzuki... in fact they are my favorite teaching books.. with or without the CDs

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by apple*
thanks Chris.. i hope i haven't stepped on anyone's toes. It's difficult to say what one wants to say without infringing or opposing.
No worries smile

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
According to a psychologist I once heard (and he is dyslexic), dyslexia is always accompanied by ADD. That knowledge might help you in pacing the lesson.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by chrisbell

Being Dyslexic and playing the piano is really, really difficult. Not to mention that playing the piano is one of the most difficult musical endeavours a human can do, it is far more for a Dyslexic. In fact, even that I do play the piano, I would not recommend a piano as a first choice instrument to a Dyslexic child/adult, unless they really really want to play it.
They would get far more mileage out of playing a single-line instrument.

Hi Chris and thanks for posting. There's a lot to think about here. This kid is genuinely keen on piano. Any time I play something he says, show me how you do that. The problem is keeping him listening beyond the second note.

The parents are very keen for him to have the musical education they missed out on. They have a baby grand. I have brought along other instruments for him (guitar, chime bars) which he loves, and the parents have said, if I think he would do better on guitar, then they'll go with that. But I don't think he'll do better on guitar.

The single-line option brings up the possibility of whistle, which I play. Has anyone ever used recorder/whistle as a part of their teaching? A whistle has the advantage for him that it is mostly used just in one key, and the fingering is simple.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by chrisbell

That said, how would I go about teaching a D. child?
Answer = No reading music, no finger numbers, no pages to look at. But: teach by ear, let them work it out, aid them in finding there own way, let them play music . . . in other words; nearly everything that one would do with a "normal" child does not with a D. child. The Suzuki method is a way to go.

I did get the first Suzuki book, and have given the CD to the parents to play. I know it is played sometimes. Trouble is, I can't see him coping with even the first tune. It has been on my agenda, but I've not had the courage to try it yet.

At the end of the day, I'm not a Suzuki teacher.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Apple, it's good to hear about your musical and teaching adventures. You can surely bring joy into troubled lives with music. smile

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Minniemay
According to a psychologist I once heard (and he is dyslexic), dyslexia is always accompanied by ADD. That knowledge might help you in pacing the lesson.

I always mistrust the word 'always'. wink In any case, this boy has challenging behaviour.

Originally Posted by Minniemay

It isn't.

Though the frustration of struggling with dyslexia in a reading-based world may give that appearance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission