Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
155 registered members (Ankee, Arty Movie, AndrewJCW, anotherscott, akc42, accordeur, Antihero, AlphaBravoCharlie, 38 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: It's a Sauter! #183816
09/11/07 05:43 AM
09/11/07 05:43 AM
Bangkok, Thailand
B
bkkmd Offline
bkkmd  Offline
B

Bangkok, Thailand
Absolutely, if I am in Singapore, everything that I heard about Alvin certainly would be a major boon for Sauter. I would not be surprise if I make similar choice to yours (although an Omega would most likely be beyond my budget but a nice Delta would certainly make me very hapy ).

Wzkit was in Bangkok recently. I am not sure if he did make it to Grotrian dealer while he was here. I certainly would like to hear his opinion on Grotrian vs his Sauter.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: It's a Sauter! #183817
09/11/07 06:11 AM
09/11/07 06:11 AM
Singapore
Digitus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Digitus  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
bkkmd: Wzkit recently had his Delta voiced by Alvin. From all accounts the results were stunning. I hope that Wzkit can give us an idea of the changes, and perhaps a recording or two.

The Omega is also beyond my budget, so I will be going into debt for it. I never in my wildest dreams would have thought that I'd be paying so much money for a piano. But what the heck - I only live once! laugh

Re: It's a Sauter! #183818
09/11/07 03:09 PM
09/11/07 03:09 PM
Singapore
R
RichterForever Offline
RichterForever  Offline
R

Singapore
Congrats Digitus. Life is for the living. I travel quite a bit and occassionally find myself in Amsterdam. The Concertgebouw is just a short stroll from my hotel and I always try to find some time to attend a concert there. You should too if you haven't already.

RichterForever
Yamaha C3, Yamaha CVP 405
Re: It's a Sauter! #183819
09/11/07 04:45 PM
09/11/07 04:45 PM
Singapore
Digitus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Digitus  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Thanks RichterForever. Yes the Concertgebouw is a fabulous venue. I was in Amsterdam four times this year. On the last occasion in mid-June Alfred Brendel was playing but I didn't have time to attend. frown

Re: It's a Sauter! #183820
09/12/07 12:18 AM
09/12/07 12:18 AM
Singapore
R
Raffles Offline
Raffles  Offline
R

Singapore
Digitus : It is my pleasure to have the opportunity to serve you. Thank you for your kind patience in listening to me, sharing your thoughts and view. I look forward to the arrival of your Omega which I know it will gives you many hours of joy and happiness. smile

Catlady : Thank you very much. We all try our best for the benefit of all pianists and the pianos. It is our responsibilities. I am certain you have the same qualities if not better. smile

bkkmd : You are most kind. smile Thank you for your good words. I owed my piano technical skill to Mr Sauter, Mr Kaufmann and few Master Craftmen in the factory. They had been very patient in guiding and teaching me the importance of piano building as it is an art by itself. They had instill in me the committment to do the best for the pianos. It is an art and craft that I sincerely treasured and embraced. Many who had crossed path with Mr Sauter has only good things to say about him. I have great respect for him as he is truly a man of high integrity, sincere, honest and hard working. He has earned the respect from cleaning personel to the top management in the factory. Many of us who know him can see these important qualities in his pianos. wink

Thank you to all in Piano World and also Sauter owners who had congratulated Digitus on his Sauter Omega purchased. smile

Re: It's a Sauter! #183821
09/12/07 01:24 AM
09/12/07 01:24 AM
Texas
RickG Offline
500 Post Club Member
RickG  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Texas
Digitus,
May I also congratulate you on your new piano. Out in these parts, we don't see Sauters but everything that I read here makes me want to play one. Here is hoping for many years of enjoyment with your new piano.

RickG
Re: It's a Sauter! #183822
09/12/07 01:53 AM
09/12/07 01:53 AM
Singapore
Digitus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Digitus  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Raffles (Alvin): We have many things in common and it is gratifying to have become firm friends with you in such a short time. I appreciate the fact that you genuinely don't seem to care whether I buy a piano from you or not. It has been fun spending time with you doing nothing more than talk about pianos, life (and mother-in-laws!) and exchanging piano tracks.

Your personal passion and knowledge of pianos in general is very reassuring to all of your customers. You are clearly not in the business for the money, at least not to become fabulously wealthy. laugh

I must therefore advise you (with tongue somewhat in cheek) that your choice of adjective is inappropriate. You are not 'serving' me nor any of your other customers, because it is a mutually beneficial relationship. And if the customer buys a Sauter from you, then that relationship becomes a very long-term one! smile

Re: It's a Sauter! #183823
09/12/07 02:09 AM
09/12/07 02:09 AM
Singapore
Digitus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Digitus  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Originally posted by RickG:
Digitus,
May I also congratulate you on your new piano. Out in these parts, we don't see Sauters but everything that I read here makes me want to play one. Here is hoping for many years of enjoyment with your new piano.
Hey RickG, thanks for you congratulations. It really is quite an event for anyone to buy a piano, any kind of piano at any price, because it and the music touches something vital within us.

I can tell you that Sauter pianos are also hard to come by over here, though perhaps not as rare as in Texas! Fortunately, Sauter grands are so consistent in action, generic tone and overall quality that I was prepared to buy the Omega sight unseen after playing on the Alpha 160 in the showroom. Also, as I mentioned earlier, Alvin sent me recordings of the Omega in various contexts and musical genres. That was helpful.

The Sauter uprights aren't shabby either, by the way.

Re: It's a Sauter! #183824
09/12/07 03:30 AM
09/12/07 03:30 AM
Singapore
R
Raffles Offline
Raffles  Offline
R

Singapore
My apologies for the wrong choice of the word smile

You are right on this
<< that it is a mutually beneficial relationship. And if the customer buys a Sauter from you, then that relationship becomes a very long-term one!>>

This is very true indeed. smile

Re: It's a Sauter! #183825
09/12/07 12:56 PM
09/12/07 12:56 PM
Michigan
ejsauter Offline
500 Post Club Member
ejsauter  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Michigan

"The creative mind plays with the object it loves." -- Carl Jung

http://www.sauter-pianos.com
Re: It's a Sauter! #183826
09/12/07 03:44 PM
09/12/07 03:44 PM
Singapore
Digitus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Digitus  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Originally posted by ejsauter:
Congratulations.

Here is a recording made on an Omega.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=4921770&style=classical&cart=596367434
Thanks Gene! I have heard a couple of tracks from the Mursky album. To be honest, that's not how I would like my Omega to sound, even after allowing for the strange acoustic of the recording venue. smile

Re: It's a Sauter! #183827
09/12/07 04:09 PM
09/12/07 04:09 PM
Michigan
ejsauter Offline
500 Post Club Member
ejsauter  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Michigan
Mine does not sound like the recording. But the recording certainly has a very distinctive tone compared to many piano recordings.

"The creative mind plays with the object it loves." -- Carl Jung

http://www.sauter-pianos.com
Re: It's a Sauter! #183828
09/13/07 02:34 AM
09/13/07 02:34 AM
Encino, California
ChatNoir Online content
1000 Post Club Member
ChatNoir  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

Encino, California
Congratulations, you have indeed gotten yourself a very fine piano. I went by a piano store on the way home today, and they had two Sauters on display. I tried them both, and they were excellent instruments. I also played a Steingräber for the first time, and I found it very, very likeable.

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
Re: It's a Sauter! #183829
09/13/07 05:42 AM
09/13/07 05:42 AM
Singapore
Digitus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Digitus  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
ChatNoir: Thanks for your wishes. All are great pianos. As I said, I would happy with all these top instruments, so the deciding factor would be support from a good tech. smile

Edit: And a price that minimizes my debt! eek

Re: It's a Sauter! #183830
09/13/07 06:43 AM
09/13/07 06:43 AM
Singapore
Digitus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Digitus  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Mr Kwan of Emmanuel & Sons, the local Fazioli dealer, just dropped me a line congratulating me on my choice. He also invited me to continue to visit to play on his pianos.

Now how's that for class. I was about to visit him to tell him in person about my decision, and to thank him for being so patient with me. Mr Kwan is an expert tech himself.

Re: It's a Sauter! #183831
09/13/07 01:30 PM
09/13/07 01:30 PM
Singapore
Wzkit Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Wzkit  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Singapore
Man, I can't believe i'm so late on this thread!

Digitus:

CONGRATLUATIONS!!!

At first I guessed you would go for the Shigeru, so imagine my (very pleasant) surprise that you were going for Sauter, and an Omega no less! It seems like a replay of what I what I went through two years ago. It looks like you made your choice based on the very same factors that I did - Alvin's great service. Don't worry about the debt. Money can be earned back with time. But time once lost, is lost forever.

How are you intending to have it voiced? Mellow? Creamy? Or clear and transparent? Thought about the choice of fallboard and finishing yet?

I'm quite excited for you actually. Just gave Alvin a message to congratulate him on his next sale. I'm so happy that you made this choice. Wish I had the time to actually meet you on your piano hunt!

I do intend to upgrade to an Omega once I get a bigger place. May I have the pleasure of sampling your Omega when it arrives? laugh The offer is open for you to sample my Delta too smile

Keep us updated!

Bkmdd:

Unfortunately my schedule did not give me chance to visit the Grotrian dealer while in Bangkok. However, I did pass by Robinsons at Siam Discovery Centre. Interesting special edition Steinways they have there! Did not want to go inside - thought it would seem funny for me to just browse. But I did notice the price of the Steinways is significantly higher than what one would pay in Singapore!

Sauter 185 Delta with accelerated action and burl walnut fallboard
Re: It's a Sauter! #183832
09/13/07 02:50 PM
09/13/07 02:50 PM
Singapore
Digitus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Digitus  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Wzkit: Thanks very much!

To be honest the choice was down to a Fazioli F-183, and the Sauter Omega 220. I would have been happy with either instrument. The latter won on a combination of price and service.

It's hard to describe the kind of tone I like so here are some adjectives: round-ish yet articulate, with a slightly harder attack, and a leaner envelope. I like the harmonically rich Sauter sound, but not taken to the extreme like the Omega used in Mursky's album. Probably the best Omega tone I've heard so far is that of the piano used by the CĂ©cile Verny Quartet on their 'Got A Ticket' album. Maybe my taste is somewhere between European and American.

Alvin and I have already talked about cabinet and bench customization. We've picked out a tentative scheme, and I think he'll be in Spaichingen in November to match the veneers.

Although it would have been fun to have you along during the hunt, it would actually have been very difficult for us to meet. You see, I work from home when I'm not traveling. This gives me the flexibility of going to piano showrooms during the weekday, when you would be at work. I have family commitments during the weekends so that works out fine for me.

You are most welcome to pop over to play to your heart's content. It will provide my neighbours with some respite from listening to me struggle with my hands and wrestling with the piano. As I said earlier, I have agreed to Ulrich Sauter's request that I allow genuine prospective customers to visit. And you are as genuine as they come! smile

Re: It's a Sauter! #183833
09/15/07 02:56 AM
09/15/07 02:56 AM
Singapore
Wzkit Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Wzkit  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Singapore
Digitus,
I thought that the Fazioli 183 sounded better than its larger cousin too. Mellower, and a slightly heavier touch that was easier to control.

I'm not sure that I would describe the Omega in Mursky's album as harmonically rich. In fact, the attack seems a little too sharp for my tastes, especially when he plays loudly. I prefer a mellower, creamier, yet clear and articulate tone. To my mind, such a sound offers the most tonal possibilities.

I have not heard the album by the Cecil Verny Quartett. Would you be so kind as to lend it to me someday?

Re: It's a Sauter! #183834
09/15/07 04:20 AM
09/15/07 04:20 AM
Singapore
Digitus Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
Digitus  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member

Singapore
Wzkit: By harmonically rich I meant big fat sound. Yes that attack sounds so unnatural particularly when played fortissimo. That album does not give a true indication of what the Omega 220 is capable of. It is a downright bad recording of a wierdly prepped piano. At least one track ('Campanella') was on the Concert 275. Again bad prep - the piano sounded brittle.

About the Faziolis, my initial reaction was, how shall I say this, shock and awe (thank you Mr Bush). Truly stunning pianos in every way, if you can get past the sticker shock.

But they aren't for everybody. Tonally they do need rounding out to be less clinical. Touch-wise both the F212 and F183 gave me control that initially felt to be almost other-worldly. On my second visit I spent more time on the F212 and decided that perhaps a much better pianist than I would have more success controlling it. I also discovered that my pedal technique sucks on pianos with long sustain!

That particular Cecile Verny Quartet album was released in 1998 (got this from her website). It's not available on either Amazon.com or cduniverse.com. The couple of tracks I have came from Alvin. I would love to get the album if I could just find it. Cecile Verny has just released another album, but I don't know if the Omega was used on it or not.

Re: It's a Sauter! #183835
09/15/07 06:43 AM
09/15/07 06:43 AM
Singapore
Wzkit Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Wzkit  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Singapore
Yes, brittle is the word to describe it. From my observation so far however, the characteristic Sauter tone does tend towards a lean and sharp attack when played loud. It may not be for everyone. But the real beauty of the Sauter tone is when it is played softly. That's when the harmonic richness, coupled with the clarity makes for quite an unbeatable combination, in my opinion.

I also agree with you about using the word "clinical" to describe the Fazioli tone. It does have its own beauty, but it may not be for everyone. Personally, I think the Sauter tone may suit me better. But I have to admit I have a soft spot for the Fazioli's action. A pity about the price tag though!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Unknown digitalpiano...
by Knutas. 11/13/19 02:23 PM
K300 left over packaging?
by Gary001. 11/13/19 02:11 PM
"I wish my kid could play piano like this..."
by CianistAndPomposer. 11/13/19 12:51 PM
ROLAND RG-7 digital grand piano
by Cudo. 11/13/19 12:37 PM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,064
Posts2,890,460
Members94,955
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission