2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1837636 02/03/12 02:13 AM
P
plns Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I am noticing some pianos being given away on Craigslist in my area. Granted I find on that is not destroyed, is better to hire a piano moving company or try and move it myself.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Destroying the piano is minor compared to destroying a house, or even worse, yourself. Hire a mover.

Semipro Tech
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
It depends on what your abilities are, how much of a can do attitude you have, if you have some basic moving equipment, what kind of piano you are moving, your ability to follow common sense safety procedures, your willingness to research how to properly move a piano, etc. There are a lot of variables, but moving a piano is something that can be done by yourself and a small crew.

If you're clueless about things like tie down straps, furniture dollies, pick up trucks, and other things such as safety, hire a piano mover.

Knabe 5'2" Louis XV Walnut circa 1927
Very part time piano broker.
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
I don't mean to be rude, but moving a piano by yourself is, frankly, as stupid as it is dangerous.

1. If you damage someone's property or injure them, you will probably be sued.

2. If you hurt (or kill) yourself, you'll have expensive medical bills.

3. If you damage the piano, it will still need to be removed.

4. You will likely spend more money buying proper moving equipment than you will hiring a mover.

Even professional piano movers get it wrong: http://www.conradaskland.com/blog/2007/04/movers-drop-88000-bosendorfer-piano/

And this is why any credible moving company is bonded and insured!

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I once got an upright piano into a VW van by myself. I was much younger then, and the odd dent to the piano (and its surroundings) disn't matter!

Two people and a piano trolley can do it. How much will it matter if things go wrong? Will the owner go ballistic if there's a slight mark to a wall or door-frame?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If the piano is a modern upright, I don't see a big deal in renting a set of piano dollies, a ramp, and some straps. Borrow a pick-up truck (or better yet, find someone with a low trailer) and some old blankets and go for it. Just take your time and be cautious. Many more pianos are moved by owners and friends than by professional movers.

These are like the dollies that rent for $20.00 a day in my area:

[Linked Image]

Ha! I just remembered the last piano I tuned. The couple had just moved from one place to another in the same town. They wanted to make sure the piano was moved correctly so they hired the dealer to move it. Sure enough a leg was broken off. It was glued back together, but not refinished.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
B
B
There's a big difference between moving a spinet and moving a grand. There's also a big difference between moving it into a wide open first-floor room and moving into a tight third-floor apartment (both of which I've had to do). For the former, I did it myself. For the latter, I paid a mover.

Hiring a professional is a case-by-case decision as far as I'm concerned. Many of the variables have already been mentioned.

Ben Patterson, RPT
South Jersey Piano Service, LLC
www.sjpianoservice.com
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
If the piano is a modern upright, I don't see a big deal in renting a set of piano dollies, a ramp, and some straps. Borrow a pick-up truck (or better yet, find someone with a low trailer) and some old blankets and go for it. Just take your time and be cautious. Many more pianos are moved by owners and friends than by professional movers.

These are like the dollies that rent for $20.00 a day in my area:

[Linked Image]

Ha! I just remembered the last piano I tuned. The couple had just moved from one place to another in the same town. They wanted to make sure the piano was moved correctly so they hired the dealer to move it. Sure enough a leg was broken off. It was glued back together, but not refinished.

These are the worst devices for moving pianos.We always moved a piano strap on a 4 wheel dolly

Wayne Walker
Walker's Piano Service
http://www.walkerpiano.ca/
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

These are the worst devices for moving pianos.We always moved a piano strap on a 4 wheel dolly
[/quote]

I agree, asking for trouble with one of those.

Last edited by accordeur; 02/03/12 08:49 PM.

Jean Poulin

Musician, Tuner and Technician

www.actionpiano.ca
B
BDB Offline
B
All of which goes to show that unless you are experienced, you should not be moving pianos.

Semipro Tech
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pianolance

If you're clueless about things like tie down straps, furniture dollies, pick up trucks, and other things such as safety, hire a piano mover.

Pick up truck??? That is the absolute worst vehicle for piano moving.

JG
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Wayne, Jean and BDB - perhaps we should not be about talking experience being advised in connection with moving pianos. We might be putting ourselves in danger of getting slammed - you know, the old "It's not rocket science, anyone can do it" routine.

Hey, how about a forum for DIY Piano Movers??? laugh thumb ha

JG
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Hire a mover!!!! A piano can break your bones.

But first, have the piano checked out by a technician.

One of the main reasons people are giving away the piano is that nobody will buy it. They then put it on Craigs list hoping someone will remove it for free.

"Imagine it in all its primatic colorings, its counterpart in our souls - our souls that are great pianos whose strings, of honey and of steel, the divisions of the rainbow set twanging, loosing on the air great novels of adventure!" - William Carlos Williams
P
plns Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking about getting one to practice on.. Maybe bringing it to a storage unit, tuning it and possibly selling it but really for practicing.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I like the pictured piano moving dollies because the folding handles are just right when going over thresholds. And a pickup truck is great when there is a front porch to negotiate. They are very common here.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I like the pictured piano moving dollies because the folding handles are just right when going over thresholds. And a pickup truck is great when there is a front porch to negotiate. They are very common here.

but they add length to the piano, most times in hallways you have to take them off to make a turn. Try moving pianos on a good 4 wheel dolly with the piano strap to the dolly and you never want to use the other device again

Wayne Walker
Walker's Piano Service
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Wayne:

You may very well be right, but how do you get it up on the dolly without having to lift from an awkward position? That is another thing I like about the ones I use. There is a foot lever that lifts the piano.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Wayne:

You may very well be right, but how do you get it up on the dolly without having to lift from an awkward position? That is another thing I like about the ones I use. There is a foot lever that lifts the piano.

two people lift the piano on the dolly, real simple. When I was moving pianos, most times there was only two people on the moves. When I started I used the device that is in the picture. I found it made the job harder.

Wayne Walker
Walker's Piano Service
B
BDB Offline
B
You can do it solo. The important thing to remember is that the higher you lift one end, the more weight ends up on the other. So it is much harder if you do not lift enough.

Semipro Tech

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission