2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
38 members (Burkey, GreatShowmanChopin, clothearednincompo, almo82, dorfmouse, daz100, FloRi89, 8 invisible), 355 guests, and 384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Advice on selling a Decker Brothers Square Grand Piano
#1835936 01/31/12 08:19 PM
S
Seth S. Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hello.

I am a bookseller in the San Francisco Bay area, and an elderly client with a large book collection that we are handling asked me to assist in the sale of her piano (as a favor so to speak). Alas, I have no knowledge whatsoever of pianos.

The piano is a Decker Brothers Square Grand Piano, serial # 9178. I have a fair amount of correspondence concerning the piano (dated 1960's), including comments on a reinforced frame to handle an extra 2000 pounds of pressure due to 3 strings in the extreme trebble.

I am looking for suggestions on how to value / sell this piano: how to find shops / brokers that might be interested, perhaps posting on Craigslist (or this site), etc. From perusing these forums and talking to a couple of local piano brokers, I understand that square grands may be of far less interest than standard grand pianos and that Decker Brothers is not Steinway as far as appeal; my knowledge is extremely limited after that.

The client has provided me a number of photographs, I'd be glad to pass them along to anyone.

ANY suggestions would be appreciated. Personally, I'd love to help the client find a buyer (such as a dealer) with minimal involvement from me, since it's extremely difficult logistically to handle this as the client and piano are located 90 miles away from here.

THANK YOU to anyone who responds with helpful advice.

Regards,

Seth S.

Re: Advice on selling a Decker Brothers Square Grand Piano
Seth S. #1835944 01/31/12 08:28 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
From what I've read, square pianos generally have no value in the market today. Part of this stems from inferior performance compared to modern upright and grand pianos, difficulty of finding repair parts, and scarcity of technicians who will even work on them at all. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Perhaps someone with specific experience with this brand or model will see this and chime in with more useful and relevant information than I can provide.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Seth S. #1835952 01/31/12 08:38 PM
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
My suggestion would be to politely decline the sellers generous offer to turn you into a middle man. The market for this piano is extremely limited - and donating to a museum or tourist attraction may be the best option.

Seth S. #1836478 02/01/12 01:19 PM
S
Seth S. Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Thank you for the comments; upon calling a few local piano dealers, I heard pretty much the same story.

On the other hand, Michael Stinnett, of The Antique Piano Shop, Inc. (there is a thread on this forum about his business) suggested this is a very valuable piano ($25,000 - $35,000) with INCREASING demand of late -- that is, if it is restored, which his company will do for $13,000. I very much doubt my client will want to go that route but perhaps the right buyer can be found on Craigslist or eBay for 10% of that amount, which is much better than nothing.

Hopefully I can get myself out of the picture and hopefully she will get *something* for the piano, albeit much, much less than she hoped.

(She did note she had listed this on eBay for quite a bit of money some years back with many inquiries but no sale.)

Seth

Seth S. #1836494 02/01/12 01:43 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
She should offer to sell it to Michael Stinnett for $2000. That will provide him a profit of $10,000 plus the profit on the rebuild. If he is honest, he will take it. If he does not take it, you will know the value of his estimate.

Semipro Tech
Seth S. #1836506 02/01/12 02:18 PM
This thread reminds me of the TV show "Antiques Road Show". It is always interesting to hear the experts estimate of what an item "might" sell for at auction. I wonder how often the owner of the item can actually sell the item for even close to the estimate.

The world of antiques is a strange and unusual world.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Seth S. #1836510 02/01/12 02:24 PM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Seth S.
On the other hand, Michael Stinnett, of The Antique Piano Shop, Inc. (there is a thread on this forum about his business) suggested this is a very valuable piano ($25,000 - $35,000) with INCREASING demand of late -- that is, if it is restored, which his company will do for $13,000. I very much doubt my client will want to go that route but perhaps the right buyer can be found on Craigslist or eBay for 10% of that amount, which is much better than nothing.

Sometimes some squares have value to some buyers if the instrument has some particular historic value beyond its aesthetic and/or musical value. Such a buyer would only want the instrument if it were in its original condition; they would not want it “restored” unless it was a carefully done, fully documented, historically accurate restoration.

Send a private message with your contact information to my email address shown below and I will try to put you in touch with a person who actually deals with historic instruments and who will be able to give you current and honest information on the state of that market segment.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia L225 loses tune very quickly
by M_albert - 10/20/20 01:49 AM
Piano Safari Christmas collection
by ebonykawai - 10/19/20 08:59 PM
Another "beginner" piece w/twist
by MilesAbbott - 10/19/20 08:58 PM
Sostenuto Pedal....in an upright?
by Duaner - 10/19/20 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,315
Posts3,015,355
Members98,949
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission