2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Originally Posted by Nikolas
Originally Posted by wr
I'm still going to call it spam.
In which case you would have to accept that A LOT of members here are constantly spamming the forums, right? Even if they link to a youtube page, or a myspace page, or box.net, or their own webpage, or any way to share their doings, right?....

While I don't find myself as bothered by that part of it as WR, I can say that there's a difference between this and the things you mentioned: those things aren't generally promoting a product. And I suppose the main person who might object is Frank, because he might feel that if Guy or VSL want to do something like this, they should buy advertising on the site. Obviously a whole different issue than the one we've been discussing but maybe an important one too....

But certainly not important enough to merit creation of yet another thread !!! Or is it.....? grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I don't expect perfect recordings but my expectation is a good, honest recording that demonstrates that time and hard work went into learning the piece. As internet forums cannot replace that of a teacher, I think the Member Recording Section is a good place to get tips on finessing a piece or fine tuning details or for extra opinions on an interpretation or for gaining encouragement or showcasing a performance etc...

K
K
This thread and the one which spawned it force me to speak up for the elephant sitting in the room over yonder and ask the obvious question: How do you folks ever find time to play the piano?

Currently working on:
Beethoven Sonata no. 32, Op. 111
Chopin Etude Op. 10 no. 2
Debussy La Danse de Puck
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Krummholz
This thread and the one which spawned it force me to speak up for the elephant sitting in the room over yonder and ask the obvious question: How do you folks ever find time to play the piano?

With a nod to "the Music Man", in which Robert Preston told the band of kids "to play the Minuet in G, one must THINK the Minuet in G", I say...

everyone is THINKING about playing piano!

smile

Last edited by piano joy; 02/01/12 09:37 AM.

I don't care too much for money. For money can't buy me love.
-the Beatles

G
G
That's right that you didn't "mention" it -- and I didn't say you did. I'm surprised that's what you got out of what I said and that it's what you're asking. It's more complex than that. I did my best to explain it up there, and I don't think I can do any better. Maybe take another look and see if you connect with what I about it and if you feel it's meaningful. If you don't, then you don't.

Anyway....obviously you don't want to rely just on my input. See what other people think. You're doing well to be reconsidering how you approach this. I think it will only help.

Mark, I understand you are trying to be truthful and helpful, and I appreciate that especially after the original thread, and I mean that sincerely. Perhaps I made a mistake in how approaching this, perhaps I shouldn't of spoken my mind about any comparisons with anything out there, perhaps any mention of my piano skills was wrong to mention, but what's done is done, and it is possible I don't have your skills and insight dealing with this matter, maybe it is a bit sad that I'm not in full sync with what you're saying, I tried, and maybe failed in your eyes. Nothing personal. wink I think I've learned a few things here, especially when presenting this to classical pianists, got to know some people better, friendlier, and I will change my approach from now on, at least for classical pianists, and i don't know what more to say about this. Vienna Imperial Updated, was a step up from the previous version, and you could be sure the next version will again be a step up, the software will keep improving and getting closer and closer to the real deal, perhaps it will never come as close as a real piano, and that's fine. I have done my best, made some mistakes, and what I don't understand (or maybe seem I don't understand), I don't understand. Voilà! wink

Last edited by guybacos; 02/01/12 12:43 PM.
I check the forums during breakfast (right now). Next, my day consists of:

A voice lesson, a voice rehearsal, and rehearsals for three different recitals I'm accompanying - Feb. 4, 8, and 13. Then, I teach tonight from 4:30 to 7:30. This comes after yesterday, which included 4 hours of teaching, 2 hours of practicing, and 2 hours of rehearsal. Last weekend, I played recitals at the University of Minnesota and University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire. (That's why it took me a couple of days to read and lock that other thread.)

Originally Posted by Krummholz

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
G
G
Originally Posted by carey
Originally Posted by guybacos
Ok deal.

So would this text, which I also posted on Pianoworld as a rectification text, be satisfactory as part of the initial post? If anybody cares to reword it, I have no problem with that.

As a matter of fact this is how it also stands now in my YouTube links:

Guy Bacos, Realization of Chopin 24 Études

These Études are NOT played live from end to end. They have been enhanced artistically, through digital process, to bring out more features. There have been different kinds of manipulations, such as tweaking dynamics, speed, accents, notes etc. This is NOT to say they were programmed one note at a time with my mouse. Not by a long shot, I am a good pianist but not that good! wink

Guy - This is just fine - but really all you need to do in the future is briefly explain in your initial post what we'll be hearing and how it was created. Including a link to your website would also be quite helpful - and would give the listener even greater insight into your unique talents. thumb

Thanks! And if anybody has suggestions on what to say, be my guest. Just don't get too philosophical about it. Be direct and I'll be happy. wink

ok i liked that Guy.. i asked early on, but you never answered.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
G
G
Originally Posted by apple*
ok i liked that.. i asked early on, but you never answered.

Answered to what?

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Kreisler and John Grant offered great responses since I last visited this thread. In particular John mentioned the concept of art as a product. Recordings are certainly nice and midi recordings can now be made which sound very realistic. I've been spending the last few years writing less and learning my pieces more in hopes of posting some videos of me actually playing them. I'm getting close to being able to do that, but it's a lot of work. Actually playing a piece with no errors or at least none detectable is very hard, at least for me which is why I'm a composer. So I understand the objections of those who see midi performances as cheating.

These days with the ubiquity of Youtube I don't see mere recordings as being nearly as relevant as in the past. It seems these days if it's not a video of a live performance of some type then it's not going to get as much attention. There are those who objected to Lola Vavavaroom (actually Astanova) because her appeal was more physical than artistic, but at least she could play a piece from beginning to end wthout any obvious mistakes. That may not qualify her as a concert pianist, but she's way beyond my capabilities.

So what's a composer to do? Midi performances do garner some attention and it seems one person has requested a score for one of my pieces as a result of this discussion. The music has to speak for itself and different people find different pieces appealing. Learning my own pieces has been quite helpful in improving my piano playing in general and that will inform my compositional efforts going forward, but there are only 24 hours in a day. Then again, I could spend less time here.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
....what I don't understand (or maybe seem I don't understand), I don't understand.....

Cliff's Notes version: You can take care of everything I said by just saying upfront what the recordings are -- which you've already decided to do anyway, I think -- and if people mention aspects that aren't like the best actual piano playing, don't try to counter it; either acknowledge it, or let it go.

G
G
....what I don't understand (or maybe seem I don't understand), I don't understand.....

Cliff's Notes version: You can take care of everything I said by just saying upfront what the recordings are -- which you've already decided to do anyway, I think -- and if people happen to mention aspects that they think don't represent the greatest music-making, don't try to counter it; either acknowledge it, or let it go.

Oh! So were talking about in the course of any discussion. Ok. Yeah, you didn't have to mention this, I already knew that. wink

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh! So were talking about in the course of any discussion....

Yes -- I said that in the first place but somehow you missed it. Anyway, we did good, considering. smile

A
A
Guy, I don't understand the connection between the "Vienna" system software and the mock ups created with a DAW.

G
G
Originally Posted by antony
Guy, I don't understand the connection between the "Vienna" system software and the mock ups created with a DAW.

In what sense? So I don't go off in a different direction.

G
G
So I will post it again, in the "digital pianos section" and these last threads never took place. Delete---Trash---Empty trash.

... don't try to counter it; either acknowledge it, or let it go.
How can someone who has posted more on just the two threads under discussion than some posters at PW have posted in all their posts at PW put together advise anyone about "just letting go"? You've said the same thing over and over and over....

G
G
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
How can someone who has posted more on just the two threads under discussion than some posters at PW have posted in all their posts at PW put together advise anyone about "just letting go"? You've said the same thing over and over and over....

You must admit, that's true. smile

Mark_C Offline OP
OP Offline

The thing was, not to wrongly try to counter stuff.
I don't do that. grin

But that's OK -- I know that you don't particularly go for context. You like to just pick out stuff and trash-talk it for the heck of it. smile

G
G

It's not because of Mark I changed the presentation, but half the members who weren't happy about the way it was presented may want my head for a long time, one guy registered as the name of my friend, synergy543 on the UK piano forum and posted some serious attacks on me. How do you think synergy543 feels about getting his identity stolen? And then I feel responsible, and guess what? That's what the moron wants?

As for the new thread, I hope it will not get drowned with echos of the previous threads. I already see the first reply is echoing... Is this really necessary? Time will tell if this made things better or not.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission